Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,782 members, 7,945,461 topics. Date: Tuesday, 10 September 2024 at 05:38 PM

Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit (10972 Views)

Would You Buy Nokia Lumia 620? / I Want To Buy Nokia N8 In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by ramzy2k(m): 12:36pm On Sep 03, 2013
grin[color=#000099][/color]
sushieater: A very sad day in the history of cellphones. 7.2 billion is too small na..Microsoft and
Elop raaped this amazing company.
Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by Boss13: 12:41pm On Sep 03, 2013
This is a big win for Nokia and a huge loss for Microsoft.
Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by Fazhy: 12:45pm On Sep 03, 2013
Koolmexxi: Hmmmm... So officially Nokia is eternally stuck on d windows OS.

Exactly.

Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by mruknaijaboy2(m): 12:49pm On Sep 03, 2013
Are you serious? Only 5 billon for nokia? Im afraid it only leads to two assumptions, microsoft is going through the monogomous hempatiliacic conversion, if its not that then it can only mean

END TIME TINZ
Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by AnodaIT(m): 12:57pm On Sep 03, 2013
Tighter integration indeed.
I hope the limits of WP8 would be removed as I await the new Nokia fone running WP10.
Android is gradually going the way of Windows with too frequently releases of of bugged OS
Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by Urine: 1:01pm On Sep 03, 2013
Sunymoore: Google could have buy them. Instead

Google has bought Motorola.
Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by lat4real: 1:05pm On Sep 03, 2013
Great news for WP fans... LUMIA plus MICROSOFT= BOMB

1 Like

Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by kings2all: 1:08pm On Sep 03, 2013
[size=16pt]Google wants to buy every thing.

Google Bought Youtube, Adriod Os,e.t.c Wanted To buy Facebook.

Please, we should not sell everything out to Google.

Hmmmmm, Bill gate.

http://www.freeinfor.com/microsoft-to-buy-nokia-s-handset-business-for-7-2-billion-t85.html[/size]
Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by Afam4eva(m): 1:08pm On Sep 03, 2013
I wish it was Google instead. Though goo move.
Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by AnodaIT(m): 1:18pm On Sep 03, 2013
Afam4eva: I wish it was Google instead. Though goo move.
Google bought Motorola yet Samsung is still dusting them in their own backyard, the US.

1 Like

Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by chenu(m): 1:22pm On Sep 03, 2013
sunny3kng: This is good music to the ears. What do you think ?
not for me

1 Like

Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by Karleb(m): 1:46pm On Sep 03, 2013
okay undecided
Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by Nobody: 1:47pm On Sep 03, 2013
I saw this coming when they made the "lumnia" agreement

Good move for Microsoft.
Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by Nobody: 1:50pm On Sep 03, 2013
Boss13: This is a big win for Nokia and a huge loss for Microsoft.

I think it's the other way around
Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by Youngzedd(m): 2:01pm On Sep 03, 2013
Farewell to Nokia.

1 Like

Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by ndigbo: 2:02pm On Sep 03, 2013
this is no good story.
speaking from a Nokia fan point.
Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by ibietela2(m): 2:17pm On Sep 03, 2013
ciphoenix: Like someone suggested, Yahoo should buy blackberry tomorrow for the giggles

I think yahoo and Microsoft are partners in most things
Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by Bawss1(m): 2:22pm On Sep 03, 2013
I don't understand why many see this as a bad move. It affords Nokia the financial muscle to consolidate its place as the third mobile OS with Windows Phone 8. People who cry that MS will ruin Nokia are just plain woe-mongers. Is Skype, also now owned by MS, in ruins?

It is a strategic move of strength building for both companies if executed properly. One can understand though that some people will express sentiment as Nokia was on the verge of a comeback, now though, they will do it not as the Nokia of old but as the newborn of this MS-Nokia fusion.

And please can people stop decrying Nokia's refusal to go Android, things would have been way worse if they did.

1 Like

Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by chenu(m): 2:31pm On Sep 03, 2013
Bawss1: I don't understand why many see this as a bad move. It affords Nokia the financial muscle to consolidate its place as the third mobile OS with Windows Phone 8. People who cry that MS will ruin Nokia are just plain woe-mongers. Is Skype, also now owned by MS, in ruins?

It is a strategic move of strength building for both companies if executed properly. One can understand though that some people will express sentiment as Nokia was on the verge of a comeback, now though, they will do it not as the Nokia of old but as the newborn of this MS-Nokia fusion.

And please can people stop decrying Nokia's refusal to go Android, things would have been way worse if they did.
no i don't think so.
Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by Nobody: 2:46pm On Sep 03, 2013
am not sure u know much about these things...probably the reaason for ur answer. Things will have been way worse. plus android is already trying to b a monopoly, which is stewpid, not saving your freedom on phones running it...ur not even safe using an android...dont know if u knw that.

both coys have done what is in their best interest...like nokia clearly said, there is a plan B if things dont go the way they wanted it to, and the plan B will work well

I saw this coming a long time ago
chenu: no i don't think so.
Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by Bawss1(m): 2:49pm On Sep 03, 2013
chenu: no i don't think so.

You don't think so about what?
Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by UjSizzle(f): 2:49pm On Sep 03, 2013
abeg make dem do upgrade my Lumia to Amber sharply first
Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by Nobody: 2:51pm On Sep 03, 2013
Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by Nobody: 2:52pm On Sep 03, 2013
u could join the wp8 naija grp am trying to build...i own a lumia too
uj_sizzle: abeg make dem do upgrade my Lumia to Amber sharply first
Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by Dandy1(m): 2:53pm On Sep 03, 2013
I used to be a hardcore Nokia fanboy. I rocked their symbian days to the fullest.But then Android showed up and was miles ahead of symbian.Nokia,seeing that the symbian platform couldn't possibly offer a competition with Android,had to go for Windows Phone 8 platform. Our hopes rose as Nokia die-hard loyalists.I thought the marriage should give birth to something positive and popular.Since Microsoft's windows OS is d most widely used OS on PCs around the world.Moreover, the union seemed capable of finally giving Google's android a stiff competition.But Android kept waxing stronger due to the flexibility and accessibility of the OS(core root access to crazy modders and flashers).
So when it became obvious WP8 won't be as much fun as Android is,like every other "techy" person,I had no choice than than to join the moving train by getting me a cool Sammy phone.Go figure:most symbian "gurus"-people that love tweaking and messing around with their phones(not those basic users that just call,text,or chat)are now rocking with Android because there's so much fun on it.Much more than in the symbian hey days.
To me, I think this is a good development. 'Cos now,just like "Apple",now that Microsoft own the brandname-NOKIA,they can take it to the next level. To we fans nothing would have changed but for the management.If they are gonna be keeping most of the workforce,which I'm sure they will,then we will still have the NOKIA hardwares with innovative designs and rugged build.This deal can only make things better.

DANDY.

2 Likes

Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by LordReed(m): 3:08pm On Sep 03, 2013
Bawss1: I don't understand why many see this as a bad move. It affords Nokia the financial muscle to consolidate its place as the third mobile OS with Windows Phone 8. People who cry that MS will ruin Nokia are just plain woe-mongers. Is Skype, also now owned by MS, in ruins?

From a money stand point of course this makes Nokia happy but from a strategic direction point there is a lot of doubt that MSFT can handle a mobile device business; WinMo wasn't all that, Zune too went burst, Surface is lumbering slowly in sales. Aside Xbox and Sidewinder (and maybe Microsoft Mouse but that is too basic) none of MSFTs forays into mobile or hardware haven't been spectacular, even Xbox lost out on the Bluray vs HD-DVD fight.

If this annexation is gonna work MSFT have to do an Xbox-y miracle ie show potential customers something tangibly better than the competition. In the case of the Xbox it was a plethora of great games and a somewhat better hardware combination (check out Kinect on Xbox 360). With mobile phones they are just gonna have to 1up Android and iOS or else they'll remain bit players (which won't help Nokia out of the smartphone doldrums).

I will also disagree that Nokia wouldn't have made a go of Android. If Nokia had gone Android, Samsung would have faced very stiff competition in Europe, Asia and Africa from Nokia. Nokia had the marketing and supply/sales channel to have pushed Android phones to market domination in those areas. We all know how Nokia dominated for years pre-Android that force could seen them becoming the market leaders on the Android platform.
Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by UjSizzle(f): 3:13pm On Sep 03, 2013
kinesis: u could join the wp8 naija grp am trying to build...i own a lumia too
You building it here?
Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by Drclassic(m): 3:18pm On Sep 03, 2013
Let's wait and see
Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by Nobody: 3:20pm On Sep 03, 2013
I knew it!!! It's about time MSFT find her way into the mobile market, they should have patent the mobile OS when they invented WP back then.

I hate all this cheap android mehn, it creates no class, smartphone na smartphone, even tecno users dey form.
Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by Nobody: 3:23pm On Sep 03, 2013
u seem to forget samdung owns a massive percentage of android devices, which will take years to catch up with, even with their customers being loyal, cuz i doubt they r loyal to the nokia brand. WP8 was the best choice thwey could have made cuz right now, they top that market, and are bringing in stuff they wouldnt want google to share at all
Lord_Reed:

From a money stand point of course this makes Nokia happy but from a strategic direction point there is a lot of doubt that MSFT can handle a mobile device business; WinMo wasn't all that, Zune too went burst, Surface is lumbering slowly in sales. Aside Xbox and Sidewinder (and maybe Microsoft Mouse but that is too basic) none of MSFTs forays into mobile or hardware haven't been spectacular, even Xbox lost out on the Bluray vs HD-DVD fight.

If this annexation is gonna work MSFT have to do an Xbox-y miracle ie show potential customers something tangibly better than the competition. In the case of the Xbox it was a plethora of great games and a somewhat better hardware combination (check out Kinect on Xbox 360). With mobile phones they are just gonna have to 1up Android and iOS or else they'll remain bit players (which won't help Nokia out of the smartphone doldrums).

I will also disagree that Nokia wouldn't have made a go of Android. If Nokia had gone Android, Samsung would have faced very stiff competition in Europe, Asia and Africa from Nokia. Nokia had the marketing and supply/sales channel to have pushed Android phones to market domination in those areas. We all know how Nokia dominated for years pre-Android that force could seen them becoming the market leaders on the Android platform.
Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by texazzpete(m): 3:40pm On Sep 03, 2013
Lord_Reed:

Read well the article says mapping is included.

Why don't you read well yourself?! Licensing is not the same as buying.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Gionee M5 Or Infinix Zero 3 / "Nigeria Telecom Operators Will Now Pay N500,000 For Unsolicited Messages" - NCC / Techno N7 Vs Used Samsung Galaxy S2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.