Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,973 members, 7,886,663 topics. Date: Thursday, 11 July 2024 at 01:27 PM

Choosing Between Ford 2003 Explorer And Camry 2006, Which Is Better Pls. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Choosing Between Ford 2003 Explorer And Camry 2006, Which Is Better Pls. (2487 Views)

Honda Baby Boy And Camry 2000 Pls Advise / Please Help Me Make A Car Choice(camry 2006,civic 2008,accord 2007) / Btween Corrola 2005 And EOD.. .wch Is Better Pls? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Choosing Between Ford 2003 Explorer And Camry 2006, Which Is Better Pls. by Ugbedeojo1925: 8:16am On Sep 04, 2013
Hello Guys,

Pls I need advise on the better choice between a 2003 Ford Explorer and 2006 Camry,it's very urgent pls as I have very limited time to make my choice. Taking maintenance, fuel economy, durability, etc into consideration.
Cheers Guys.

1 Like

Re: Choosing Between Ford 2003 Explorer And Camry 2006, Which Is Better Pls. by komekn(m): 11:24pm On Sep 04, 2013
I do not know how conclusive my opinions are but they are based on personal experience and a keen interest on automotive matters.

There is an assumption in Nigeria that all things Toyota are best, the most reliable, the toughest and most economical, I don’t think it’s as holistically as simple as that.

The Camry and Explorer are in two totally different categories, and can’t be really compared as equals.Firstly the Explorer is a 4X4 with a high ground clearance, robust suspension and a body on frame chassis it’s a truck, durable and tough it’s built for the off road, 4.6 V6 engine. The Camry is none of these things, it’s a good car, but it’s not a SUV.

In Nigeria our roads are bad in some instances very bad, now unless you don’t intend to travel or do much driving, then go Camry. However, if you do travel then you will be buying a lot of cheap and available Toyota parts for your Camry not sure it’s cheaper to maintain in the long term. For sure one trip from Lagos to Warri and you’ll probably need to have your exhaust welded.

The Ford explorer will give you 25mpg on the motorway and the Camry 33/35. But which one will get you there trouble free, you will on occasion have to wade your car through flooded roads, which ride would you rather be in ? tongue

I bought a Ford Explorer for one of my friends who goes to Abakiliki almost every weekend, on occasion twice a week. He used the car for 5 years literally trouble free, apart from normal servicing, his mechanic is in Omole Phase , he mainly maintains US cars incl. SUV’s and he will confirm the reliability of the Explorer.

In my opinion its a ‘NO CONTEST’ Explorer wins hands down, finally if the guys of the night are on the prowl i.e. armed robbers, what car will they steal first, I rest my case. For safety, security, reliability, ruggedness, comfort etc Explorer - Nuff Said

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgVEVnRblME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cxwaNzsdvY

2 Likes

Re: Choosing Between Ford 2003 Explorer And Camry 2006, Which Is Better Pls. by Fixed: 2:59am On Sep 05, 2013
I beg to disagree with some assertions made above.
First, people have an impression that bad roads does not affect the maintenance cost of SUVs. This is so wrong, but I will leave the proof for another day.
Second, the best highway mpg you can get from a 4.6ltr Explorer is between 18-20 compared to the 2.4ltr engine Camry where you get 30mpg. As a matter of fact, it is worse for the Explorer if most of your journey is within the city - you end up with 13mpg while you can get as much as 22mpg from the "Big Daddy".
I have driven the Explorer for weeks. It is a huge vehicle. The ride height is high and the limited option has got many waa ohs than the full 2006 XLE Camry will give you. But the Xplorer is not a practical vehicle and I am being sincere with you. You need to be sure of a particular space before you park. Fueling and maintenance is more expensive than the Camry. While it can navigate amost any jungle, there is ride a noticeable truck feeling in the ride. Though due to no fault of the Xplorer, the engine of the Camry is obviously easier to maintain for our mechanics who are always scared of V6, Much less the V8 power house in the ford.

My take:
Go for theExplorer if -
1. You need to do regular offroading, I am not talking of the normal portholes that both cars and SUVs all drive through and still end up at the mechanics'
2. You regularly carry heavy luggages
3. You need space to keep some stuffs (not legroom because Camry has it in abundance - remember Big for Nothing or for something)
4. Your family consists of grown-ups that do not need to be helped into the vehicle.
5. Overall I agree that the Explorer may last longer with some cool cash. So does the Camry too if you have a good maintenance habit.

Go for the Camry if -
1. You mind lower maintenance and running costs - sincerely some people don't mind
2. Your daily commute is within the city and the potholes on your everyday routes cannot swallow you tires
3. You don't have the time to start looking for Ford mechanic as almost all mechanics can handle Toyota assuming you find any good one anyway
4. You don't mind the plain bland interior or dashboard design of the Big Daddy - sorry to bust your bubble, I do mind!
Finally, You can jump in and out of the Camry and take a quick dash to the corner shop to buy tooth paste - but with the Explorer, you will rather walk down. That is what I meant by practicality. Get behind the wheels of one before you order for it and be sure you like it. I may have taken it too personal anyway.

Note: It really makes no sense comparing An SUV with A Sedan. I only did based on the considerations you listed. But always do your own research so you can on your own make an informed judgement.

4 Likes

Re: Choosing Between Ford 2003 Explorer And Camry 2006, Which Is Better Pls. by Ugbedeojo1925: 5:03pm On Sep 05, 2013
thank a great deal you both - Fixed and Komekn, you guys are just wao. Thanks a lot bros. Guys I did a little research on google and it would seem there are a lot of transmission complaints for 2003 Explorer. Wonder if any Naija bros/sis has any similar experience to share? I think from your analysis, I will do Ford, since its not going to be an only car and can decide not to drive it if.... Guys thanks again o.

More insights needed o. Pls komekn, can you give me the address of the Ford Mechanic at Omole? Cheers.
Re: Choosing Between Ford 2003 Explorer And Camry 2006, Which Is Better Pls. by komekn(m): 5:34pm On Sep 05, 2013
I have driven the Explorer and yes the dashboards is somewhat outdated but then its a 2003, 2006 explorer will compare quite well with the Camry.

Maintenance is about balance of probabilities all things being equal on our bad pothole ridden roads the Explorer will give you more trouble free motoring. Space you can easily get 7/8 adults in comfort, luggage you got a roof rack and decent sized boot.

Fuel consumption Camry wins clearly but only the 4 cylinder 2.4. the 3.0 v6 the margins aren't so wide. Parts I perceive Ugbedeojo is informed and articulate, its a CIT World you will get original high quality parts on-line at a price much cheaper than the substandard taiwan, Nnewi used Toyota parts the market is awash with in Nigeria.

The guys name is Wale, his workshop is right next door to the Governors lodge hotel, Omole phase 1, Haven’t called him in a long time, so not sure if this tel. is still live, -08023191273.

1 Like

Re: Choosing Between Ford 2003 Explorer And Camry 2006, Which Is Better Pls. by Ugbedeojo1925: 7:24am On Sep 06, 2013
thanks a lot Komekn. i called the number but was told it's switched off. is that the only reliable Ford Mechanic you know? will visit the address personally just hope he has not moved. cheers bro.
Re: Choosing Between Ford 2003 Explorer And Camry 2006, Which Is Better Pls. by Coldplay007(f): 5:42am On Sep 08, 2013
If you wanna buy a ford explorer, buy a recent model (2008 upwards)..
An older car means you are likely going to spend more time with the mechanics..
Re: Choosing Between Ford 2003 Explorer And Camry 2006, Which Is Better Pls. by nahinbdis: 9:11am On Sep 08, 2013
I drive an Explorer and I must say it is way above most other SUVs/sedans that are its peers.

CONS:
High running cost- Fuel, toll gate, car wash, mechanics, area boys all come at higher price 'because na jeep'.

PROS:
The most reliable vehicle you may even own if you practice basic car maintenance and listen to your car, because nothing suddenly gives way.

Parts replacement is few and far in between. That is a shaft replaced today will run for a long while before failing. Parts are not as expensive as the story goes. l buy my parts myself at Ojuelegba and have a reliable and competent mechanic there. Aside the AC that I had to replace (cos the dealer fouled it with fake gas) I have not spent up to N150K on parts and routine maintenance after 28 months of abuse by Lagos roads.

2002 Explorer has lots of issues mostly because it was a model change year. But things got better in 2003. explorerforum will provide you with so much more information.

Wale has moved from Omole and I have not been able to get his new location despite many tries.
Re: Choosing Between Ford 2003 Explorer And Camry 2006, Which Is Better Pls. by Ugbedeojo1925: 5:34pm On Sep 09, 2013
Thanks cool and nahibis for your nice contributions. It seems this Wale from Omole is quite popular among Ford users. Nice niche for his business.from what I can gather from this forum, Ford. Na baba o.
Re: Choosing Between Ford 2003 Explorer And Camry 2006, Which Is Better Pls. by beeman80: 2:28pm On Sep 28, 2013
God bless Nairalanders.I really have been in dire need of advice and I mean good advice concerning the 2003 Ford explorer.The jeep looks monstrous as well as prestigious.However one must look beyond that and consider other factors such as the durability and maintainability.I stumbled on it at a car shop and the price is so cost saving.It costs just 1Million and one hundred.I actually was scared cos I didnt expect such a huge Jeep to go for so "little". So I am caught in between buying a Honda Pilot,Rav4-2006 or a Ford Explorer.I also know that the second hand value of the Ford is nowhere near the Honda or Toyota but honestly I want to save some money at the car market.Infact I drive a Toyota product currently but need another one to augment.I just need someone who owns and uses a 2003 Ford Explorer so that I can get sufficient and first hand info about the sweet looking jeep.I want to know all the pros and cons that comes with owning the Jeep.Thank you.

(1) (Reply)

Honda Accord 2005 Frequently Shorting Engine Oil & Coolant, Smoking And Jerking / I Need A Very Good Painter To Paint My Car / Clean Tokumbo Volkswagen Passat 2008 Available For Sale SOLD SOLD SOLD

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.