Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,955 members, 7,946,145 topics. Date: Wednesday, 11 September 2024 at 01:20 PM

Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... (52566 Views)

Deadly Disease Hits Irele In Ondo, Victims Wake Up Blind, At Least 25 Dead / Reasons Why You Wake-up Feeling Tired After A Full Night's Rest / . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by greedie1(f): 5:53pm On Sep 15, 2013
didnt use to happen to me until recently..... thank God its not spiritual attack, im relieved!
Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by creativemusic: 5:55pm On Sep 15, 2013
sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad
Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by 4C2215131: 5:57pm On Sep 15, 2013
Olive64: I don't know for sure, but this happens to me alot(at least once a day). Most often, i find myself falling off a cliff after carelessly stepping on a Banana peel, Or i'm suddenly attacked by something/someone....Funny uh? According to a few researches i made, Tripping in a dream and waking up with a jolt is called a 'Hypnic Jerk’.
A hypnic jerk,hypnagogic jerk, sleep start, sleep twitch or night start, is an involuntary twitch which occurs during hypnagogia, just as a person is beginning to fall asleep, often causing him or her to awaken suddenly for a moment.
Physically, hypnic jerks resemble the "jump" experienced by a person when startled, often accompanied by a falling sensation. A higher occurrence is reported in people with irregular sleep schedules.
A ‘Hypnic Jerk’ also known as a ‘Hypnagogic Jerk’, a ‘Sleep Start’ and a ‘Night Start’– is an involuntary twitch which happens during hypnagogia(this is the stage just as a person is about to fall asleep) and it often causes them to suddenly wake up for a moment.
According to the American Academy of Sleep Medicine there is a lot of potential causes as to why this happens, these include: anxiety,caffeine,stress and strenuous activities in the evening(BEWARE!!).
‘Hypnic Jerks’ are more frequent in childhood with 4-7 per hour at the age ranging from 8 to 12 years old, and it decreases toward 1-2 per hour at 65 to 80 years old....

CURES FOR HYPNIC JERKS

Some tips to help you minimize the effects:

1).Follow good sleep hygiene, develop a routine and follow it every night.

2).Watch what you eat before bedtime(lol...maybe this is my problem;-))

3).A magnesium, calcium or iron deficiency may be to blame. First try to improve your diet, lots of fresh fruit and vegetables. Or try a supplement, with those minerals and vitamin C.

4).Heavy exercise too close to bedtime can have an effect. Try to limit heavy weights or cardio sessions in the evening(your quest for 6-packs can waitwink cool). Conversely a gentle walk an hour before bed may help..

5).Smoking or drinking will reduce the quality of your sleep. One drink before bed may help you to fall asleep and avoid the hypnic jerk, however it will reduce the quality of your later sleep. If the jerk is severely dehabilitating then this may be a way to get things

7).Meditation can help relive those negative feedback loops that will make you dread going to bed.

cool.Maintain a positive outlook, and get some tips of relaxation or yoga. The techniques taught in even the most basic class may be enough to allow you to get your mind in a state where sleep comes naturally.

9).A relaxation CD played at night may be the answer. It will give your brain something to do instead of worrying and may quickly become an essential part of your sleep routine(and i don't mean Terry-G's music)

10).If the sleeping disorder is having a negative effect on your life then see a doctor, who may prescribe some medication to help you get that much needed sleep.
I hate it when this happens in public places, most especially at school. Imagine what everyone would think when a quietly-sleeping gentle boy like moi jumps up all of a sudden with so much fear(hehehe funny.....).:-D
For more interesting topics, you can check out my blog.

Source: http://learnxlr..com/2013/09/why-do-people-trip-in-their-dream-and.html?m=0

Can't seem to place a correlation between what you say happens to you when you sleep and your research.
Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by 4C2215131: 5:59pm On Sep 15, 2013
Lagusta: I used to think I was attacked spiritually.....

Looks like everythng always has a scientific explanation

Nope.not everything I'm afraid.
Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by 27naira(m): 6:01pm On Sep 15, 2013
Nna mehn, when i was much younger... If i ever cross my legs while sleeping i no go fit run for my dream. grin na big disaster because i am always scared of "nama" cow. Am so scared of that shi.t that i always see it in my dream pursuing me. No be small waka and stumble! haha

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by 4C2215131: 6:03pm On Sep 15, 2013
C'est moi:
So,i guess it has happened to each one of us at a point in time.I jerk up anytime i have a bad dream,it sometimes comes wit a teardrop.Never knew there's a scientific explanation for it.

Coming awake during a bad dream has nothing to do with what the OP is opining. That is strictly your body acting on what has been hardwired into your mind-self preservation even in the astral (dream) realm.
Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by Nobody: 6:09pm On Sep 15, 2013
Finally. . .a reasonable explanation!
Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by coolebux(m): 6:10pm On Sep 15, 2013
otijah: its that all u can say this clown, it reached where for God's sake. WAHALA DEY
You nkoh! where is your own comment. na just to bash pesin... mtchew
Anyways that no.9 is on point, imagine playing Terry G's track by your bedside omo na bad dreams oo
U fit close eyes knack yuo ppl akpako thinking that you are still dreaming
otijah: its that all u can say this clown, it reached where for God's sake. WAHALA DEY
Anyways that no.9 is on point, imagine playing Terry G's track by your bedside omo na bad dreams oo
Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by Cestmoi1(f): 6:13pm On Sep 15, 2013
4C2215131:

Coming awake during a bad dream has nothing to do with what the OP is opining. That is strictly your body acting on what has been hardwired into your mind-self preservation even in the astral (dream) realm.
Yea,i understand better now.thanks.The write-up and research confused me.
Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by DrBaby(f): 6:14pm On Sep 15, 2013
Used to experience dis alot and I tot twas kinda spiritual till we were tot abt SLEEP in med schl. (A serious topic abt 3 lectures on sleep alone n comes out alot in exams).
Also during psychiatry posting wen we learnt abt hynagogic and hypnopompic hallucinations.
I actually did a survery in d female hostel one day and about 60% of us experience dis (wt varying frequency) and rest neva knew wat it was or experience it. They were even callin all of us mammy water..lol..and dey said dey wl start keepin der distance. ...lol
I believe all des predisposing factors but I think der myt be something genetic abt the experience. ...funny stuff tho
Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by dominique(f): 6:20pm On Sep 15, 2013
musa ajebor:
MUMU it is called sleep paralysis.

Help me tell him o.
Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by omatynx: 6:24pm On Sep 15, 2013
https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=515762451849745&id=206670959425564&set=a.430767837015874.1073741831.206670959425564&refid=8&_ft_=qid.5923800478084138800%3Amf_story_key.-288350039446465923
plssss i need ur votes fellow nairalanders. open d link, like d page 1st, den write martins okonji in comment box and den like my article. pls it ends midnight today.help a friend.share to others. thanks
Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by talk2hb1(m): 6:25pm On Sep 15, 2013
Ipheyemmy01:
which work are you doing.
Software programming
Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by Leobreezy(m): 6:26pm On Sep 15, 2013
otijah: yex my broda it does hav a scientific explanation, it simply means u don't hav legs in the dream or u ar handicapped. ANY MORE QUESTIONS?
Yes, did you lose your glasses? I said MOVE not WALK. Read more carefully please.
Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by Pistolx(m): 6:37pm On Sep 15, 2013
me i dnt undstn all doz gramas@op
Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by Leobreezy(m): 6:54pm On Sep 15, 2013
otijah: yex my broda it does hav a scientific explanation, it simply means u don't hav legs in the dream or u ar handicapped. ANY MORE QUESTIONS?
Yes, did you lose your glasses?? I said MOVE not WALK. Please read more carefully.
Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by 4C2215131: 6:56pm On Sep 15, 2013
C'est moi:

Yea,i understand better now.thanks.The write-up and research confused me.

You are welcome. Like I posted earlier,the write up and the research are two different things entirely.

Another tip,avoid sleeping while lying on your back. It causes what is termed 'sleep paralysis'-not being able to move properly...you know,the slow motion thing. Don't ask me why though,it's just one of natures mysteries.
Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by fr3do(m): 7:06pm On Sep 15, 2013

[size=20pt].[/size]
Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by Deiok(m): 7:08pm On Sep 15, 2013
Thats your body reacting to the message sent by your brain.
Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by Nobody: 7:16pm On Sep 15, 2013

One word: Inception!
Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by OG1BABY(f): 7:30pm On Sep 15, 2013

Guy, u r so funny. LWKM
Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by musaajebor(m): 7:34pm On Sep 15, 2013
SimonAndal:
One word: Inception!
Mr Simon can u perform the art of inception? I need someone who is interested so that we can incept dangotes dream .seriously it works.
Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by slumbee(m): 7:55pm On Sep 15, 2013
It happens to me a couple of times, but here is the thing before i jumped into conclusion that it was a spiritual attack i made sure i asked people around me. Lucky enough most of them had the same experience. My point is that Nigerians are always quick to associate every thing to a spiritual attack. I mean this spirit can be attacking all of us at the same time, or could i be wrong ? Lool
Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by duality(m): 8:19pm On Sep 15, 2013
There is nothing spectacular about the explanation. You may believe or disbelieve it if you like; It's your choice. The explanation does not make it the whole truth.

I have seen humans manipulate their fellow humans and make them do things without the victim knowing he/she is being manipulated. I am a scientist; but I've seen people subject scientific principles to ridicule through supernatural powers. Hence, that someone is able to bring out conjectures on issues like this, and call it scientific explanation; even with his limited understanding and perspectives; I 'll call it being delusional.

If tomorrow another person comes out with another explanation wouldn't we accept it just because he/she calls it "scientific explanation" ?
Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by 50samuel(m): 8:19pm On Sep 15, 2013
I do play and run even fly in my dream but when i wake-up na leg pain oo. I beg watin i go do?
Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by oluamid(m): 8:22pm On Sep 15, 2013
Happened to me many times while I was in school.

I and my roomie shared a bed then and I like sleeping facing the wall. Unfortunately, most times the "jerking" thing occurs, I wake up "nodding" the wall.

Can't remember how many times I woke up in the morning with "koko" on my head.
grin
Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by Nobody: 8:24pm On Sep 15, 2013
musa ajebor: Mr Simon can u perform the art of inception? I need someone who is interested so that we can incept dangotes dream .seriously it works.

¥ou don't want to fool around in such realm, it is between life and death.
Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by musaajebor(m): 8:28pm On Sep 15, 2013
[quote author=duality]There is nothing spectacular about the explanation. You may believe or disbelieve it if you like; It's your choice. The explanation does not make it the whole truth.

I have seen humans manipulate their fellow humans and make them do things without the victim knowing he/she is being manipulated. I am a scientist; but I've seen people subject scientific principles to ridicule through supernatural powers. Hence, that someone is able to bring out conjectures on issues like this, and call it scientific explanation; even with his limited understanding and perspectives; I 'll call it being delusional.

If tomorrow another person comes out with another explanation wouldn't we accept it just because he/she calls it "scientific explanation" ?[quote\]
Can u outline ur point in one sentence.what is ur point exactly?
Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by musaajebor(m): 8:33pm On Sep 15, 2013
sadeiyare:

¥ou don't want to fool around in such realm, it is between life and death.
I aint fooling around?! Trust me am seasoned.
Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by Maksjoy: 8:55pm On Sep 15, 2013
grin
oluamid: Happened to me many times while I was in school.

I and my roomie shared a bed then and I like sleeping facing the wall. Unfortunately, most times the "jerking" thing occurs, I wake up "nodding" the wall.

Can't remember how many times I woke up in the morning with "koko" on my head.
grin
grin grin grin grin grin grin were u known den as onikokol'ori?
Re: Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... by iykofias(m): 9:09pm On Sep 15, 2013
Leobreezy: Yes, did you lose your glasses? I said MOVE not WALK. Read more carefully please.
don't even try tellin us u move wit ur tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Bushes And Snakes Take Over Uniben Medical Students Hostel (Pics) / Deadly Disease Hits Irele In Ondo, Victims Wake Up Blind, At Least 25 Dead / Coronavirus Will Be With Us For A Long Time – World Health Organization (WHO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.