Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,080 members, 7,977,114 topics. Date: Wednesday, 16 October 2024 at 08:05 PM

Nigeria Resumes Rocket Testing - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Resumes Rocket Testing (11189 Views)

Kogi Election Fallout: Faleke Resumes Legislative Duties. Vangurd / Babatunde Fashola Resumes Work As A Minister See Photos / Yakubu Dogara Resumes Work As Speaker (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Resumes Rocket Testing by Buddydogg(m): 11:24am On Sep 15, 2013
hunter2,1:

China and north korea are not developed countries.
ahbeg o na weitn dy cum b o undecided undecided
Re: Nigeria Resumes Rocket Testing by ocelot2006(m): 11:25am On Sep 15, 2013
donigspain: Did I just read 3 kilometers peak ascent by a national rocket? That's just within the troposphere and ridiculously not even half of Mt Everest.
Better late than never. A step in the right direction even though it came 50 years after independence.

A journey of a thousand miles starts with one step.....or in our case, 3 kilometers. Give them time.
Re: Nigeria Resumes Rocket Testing by adconline(m): 11:27am On Sep 15, 2013
Useless country with useless priorities. With university students on strike, this rock testing is going to be done by Boko Haram graduates
Re: Nigeria Resumes Rocket Testing by Buddydogg(m): 11:28am On Sep 15, 2013
adconline: Useless country with useless priorities. With university students on strike, this rock testing is going to be done by Boko Haram gradates
kia na big mumu u b.
Re: Nigeria Resumes Rocket Testing by Nobody: 11:32am On Sep 15, 2013
ocelot2006:

A journey of a thousand miles starts with one step.....or in our case, 3 kilometers. Give them time.

I disagree with you here. If we are adding no value to the field of rocket research - such as using locally sourced materials, for instance - we might as well pack in and divert our attention elsewhere. There is no point trying to re-invent the wheel in 2013, when custom built rockets can be easily sourced from South Africa.
Re: Nigeria Resumes Rocket Testing by criuze(m): 11:34am On Sep 15, 2013
tuale for naija. Our mars project coming soon.
Re: Nigeria Resumes Rocket Testing by ocelot2006(m): 11:46am On Sep 15, 2013
eGuerrilla:

I disagree with you here. If we are adding no value to the field of rocket research - such as using locally sourced materials, for instance - we might as well pack in and divert our attention elsewhere. There is no point trying to re-invent the wheel in 2013, when custom built rockets can be easily sourced from South Africa.

No one's trying to reinvent the wheel here. Far from it. But we have A LOT to gain building our very own delivery systems for both military and scientific use. Think of the possible foreign reserve savings we'll make, the job opportunities it will create for our youths (engineers in particular), more opportunities in research, and the possibility of us exporting our very own version of this technology earning us more.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Resumes Rocket Testing by Nobody: 11:50am On Sep 15, 2013
eGuerrilla:

The source at 3KM is only being economical with the truth. Nigeria has since passed the range of 10KM. Our target is to be able to reach 70km. On the project are many brilliant nigerian physicists, and it is important we build and develop our defences. Nobody is trying to re-invent nada, we are basically building on existing technologies. South africa is a rival on the continent, and it is imperative that we are able to build our own capacity for both civilian and military purposes.

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Resumes Rocket Testing by Nobody: 11:58am On Sep 15, 2013
ocelot2006:

No one's trying to reinvent the wheel here. Far from it. But we have A LOT to gain building our very own delivery systems for both military and scientific use. Think of the possible foreign reserve savings we'll make, the job opportunities it will create for our youths (engineers in particular), more opportunities in research, and the possibility of us exporting our very own version of this technology earning us more.

I understand what you are saying, but my point about "value add" stands. Without revealing too much information here, I can tell you that building a rocket which reaches at altitude of 20 km is no longer considered 'rocket science' in 2013. When you consider the opportunity cost of attaining such low goals in wider context, you might also conclude that the cost of innovation outweighs its real benefit, unless there is an esoteric value somewhere, in this instance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w0LJ7Hw72w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyIKEjfD3r8
Re: Nigeria Resumes Rocket Testing by solomon111(m): 11:58am On Sep 15, 2013
hunter2,1:

China and north korea are not developed countries.
western propaganda.
China is more developed than most western countries.
Re: Nigeria Resumes Rocket Testing by donigspain(m): 12:02pm On Sep 15, 2013
Henry120:

The source at 3KM is only being economical with the truth. Nigeria has since passed the range of 10KM. Our target is to be able to reach 70km . On the project are many brilliant nigerian physicists, and it is important we build and develop our defences. Nobody is trying to re-invent nada, we are basically building on existing technologies. South africa is a rival on the continent, and it is imperative that we are able to build our own capacity for both civilian and military purposes.
Tell that to the ignorants who ain't in the space technology system. No be only 70km we dey aim, na to break the ionosphere fly reach sun. Nigerian politicians that love public attention/appreciation will be intentionally trying to bring themselves down by reporting 3km instead of 10km? I won't even be surprised if the true peak ascent was 800 meters.
Re: Nigeria Resumes Rocket Testing by Nobody: 12:05pm On Sep 15, 2013
Henry120:

The source at 3KM is only being economical with the truth. Nigeria has since passed the range of 10KM. Our target is to be able to reach 70km. On the project are many brilliant nigerian physicists, and it is important we build and develop our defences. Nobody is trying to re-invent nada, we are basically building on existing technologies. South africa is a rival on the continent, and it is imperative that we are able to build our own capacity for both civilian and military purposes.

But there are many reported cases where rivals have been known to share technology - Euro Airbus and US/Russia space co-operation being just a few notable examples.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Resumes Rocket Testing by solomon111(m): 12:06pm On Sep 15, 2013
One of the reasons why Nigeria is still lagging in technology is because we don't want to build as long as that commodity is there to import.
It's also a major factor in our lack of maintainence culture.
How can you maintain a commodity,when you can't manufacture it?
So please let them build from scratch and master it very well.
We may start exporting to west and central africa.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Resumes Rocket Testing by Arosa(m): 12:07pm On Sep 15, 2013
donigspain: Tell that to the ignorants who ain't in the space technology system. No be only 70km we dey aim, na to break the ionosphere fly reach sun. Nigerian politicians that love public attention/appreciation will be intentionally trying to bring themselves down by reporting 3km instead of 10km? I won't even be surprised if the true peak ascent was 800 meters.

grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Resumes Rocket Testing by HezronLorraine(m): 12:09pm On Sep 15, 2013
Good developments all the way.Though I reserve some criticisms for later.I must commend them for this.
Re: Nigeria Resumes Rocket Testing by Nobody: 12:10pm On Sep 15, 2013
donigspain: Tell that to the ignorants who ain't in the space technology system. No be only 70km we dey aim, na to break the ionosphere fly reach sun. Nigerian politicians that love public attention/appreciation will be intentionally trying to bring themselves down by reporting 3km instead of 10km? I won't even be surprised if the true peak ascent was 800 meters.

Bros, see, I could not careless what you believe. It is your problem whatever you believe. I'm not forcing anything down your throat.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Resumes Rocket Testing by Arosa(m): 12:10pm On Sep 15, 2013
eGuerrilla:

But there are many reported cases where rivals have been known to share technology - Euro Airbus and US/Russia space co-operation being just a few notable examples.
you are right Naija can buy technology from SA and assimilate it.
Re: Nigeria Resumes Rocket Testing by ZeusAyo: 12:13pm On Sep 15, 2013
I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ this age where we liv we need stand off weapons as detterent 4rm western agressors Ѧп̥̥̲̣̣̣̥∂ also dis wld also β a means of improving employment opportunities................. Ѧп̥̥̲̣̣̣̥∂ do u guys also know d̶̲̥̅̊@t? Nigeria is diving I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊to nuclear technology?................... A̶̲̥̅̊М̤̣̲̣̥̈̇ smelling somfin fishy here....
Re: Nigeria Resumes Rocket Testing by solomon111(m): 12:13pm On Sep 15, 2013
The military is a different ball-game.
Those guys are usually modest and very secretive.
I won't be surprised if those guys are downplaying it to prevent unnecessary attention especially from the west.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Resumes Rocket Testing by Nobody: 12:15pm On Sep 15, 2013
eGuerrilla:

Correct. However, you need to first build your own capacity before you share. You cannot just come to the table empty-handed to leach on your host/partner. That is what we(nigeria) are trying to do, build capacity.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Resumes Rocket Testing by solomon111(m): 12:17pm On Sep 15, 2013
Arosa:
how are you sure they've not done so?
Re: Nigeria Resumes Rocket Testing by Nobody: 12:28pm On Sep 15, 2013
Arosa:

Exactly my point. If there is no significant value add, we need to explore ways of buying the technology outright instead of investing time and effort in dated research. IBM's PC arm (Lenovo) was picked up by the Chinese for $1.25 Billion. SAAB autos - the Swedish company - went for even less in the end.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Resumes Rocket Testing by Nobody: 12:33pm On Sep 15, 2013
solomon111: One of the reasons why Nigeria is still lagging in technology is because we don't want to build as long as that commodity is there to import.
It's also a major factor in our lack of maintainence culture.
How can you maintain a commodity,when you can't manufacture it?
So please let them build from scratch and master it very well.
We may start exporting to west and central africa.

The emboldened portion of your post conveys heart-felt nationalism but what I consider a misplaced priority.
If you know anything about technological research, you'll understand that no one builds from scratch.
Re: Nigeria Resumes Rocket Testing by lekkie073(m): 12:34pm On Sep 15, 2013
Progress is a step by step thing. U dont wake up one day and master an act u never learn or put into practice
Weldone naija, we ve built a drone, we ve built a satelite which was launched in russia. Now, we a planning on launching from our territorial borders.....we r getting nearer.....
And in case u dont like this, u can as well go hug the neatest transformer
Re: Nigeria Resumes Rocket Testing by lekkie073(m): 12:41pm On Sep 15, 2013

Re: Nigeria Resumes Rocket Testing by iterator25: 12:42pm On Sep 15, 2013
Where is beegeagle when you need him embarassed
Re: Nigeria Resumes Rocket Testing by adconline(m): 12:44pm On Sep 15, 2013
Buddy dogg: kia na big mumu u b.
U be Mumu squared!
Re: Nigeria Resumes Rocket Testing by danikik7: 12:47pm On Sep 15, 2013
Nigeria is defficient in space technology /exploration. Alll these project is based on buying, construction and installation from Japan.At the end Nigeria is being feed with third class information like Surrey in UK does.My candid opinion is that ,it should be put on hold until we have bright boys from our tertiary institutions in conjunction with well articulate Profs in the field to build and propergate the agency to our test.For now all I see are more fat-cats that will bleed the nation in the name of we shall soon get there with nothing to show for it. They can commense if the Agency has the capacity to buld at least 70-80% of its satellite and deploy them into orbit without foreign aid.
Re: Nigeria Resumes Rocket Testing by iterator25: 1:02pm On Sep 15, 2013
danikik7: Nigeria is defficient in space technology /exploration. Alll these project is based on buying, construction and installation from Japan.At the end Nigeria is being feed with third class information like Surrey in UK does.My candid opinion is that ,it should be put on hold until we have bright boys from our tertiary institutions in conjunction with well articulate Profs in the field to build and propergate the agency to our test.For now all I see are more fat-cats that will bleed the nation in the name of we shall soon get there with nothing to show for it. They can commense if the Agency has the capacity to buld at least 70-80% of its satellite and deploy them into orbit without foreign aid.
But bros, na pasta de inside your head

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Resumes Rocket Testing by taharqa: 1:10pm On Sep 15, 2013
danikik7: Nigeria is defficient in space technology /exploration. Alll these project is based on buying, construction and installation from Japan.At the end Nigeria is being feed with third class information like Surrey in UK does.My candid opinion is that ,it should be put on hold until we have bright boys from our tertiary institutions in conjunction with well articulate Profs in the field to build and propergate the agency to our test.For now all I see are more fat-cats that will bleed the nation in the name of we shall soon get there with nothing to show for it. They can commense if the Agency has the capacity to buld at least 70-80% of its satellite and deploy them into orbit without foreign aid.
Some of you shld learn how d keep yr mouths SHUT and talk less in public.. I keep saying this; but it seems you chaps are also deaf too..

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Resumes Rocket Testing by ZeusAyo: 1:15pm On Sep 15, 2013
ℓ̊ criously bliv dis 3km range of ders is a joke cos dis project as been functioning since 2003 nd dose missiles shld β capable of hitting almost all west african countries by now or even down south but the western aggresor wld not. let nigeria rest if they reveal the original range of the rocket....... Na d̶̲̥̅̊@t? Time u go ç america cum with one paper u go con ç untop missile/nuclear proliferation treaty...........
Re: Nigeria Resumes Rocket Testing by ocelot2006(m): 1:16pm On Sep 15, 2013

The Chinese have been able to attain their current technological level not by sitting by waiting for "bright boys from tertiary institution", but diving right in, even if it meant reverse engineering and improving on the technologies acquired from other nations. Thanks to that, the PRC has one of the best Space Tech sector in the world, and have achieved what MOST countries (developed included) can't even boast of.

I say Nigeria is on the right.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

VAT Judgement: FIRS May Lose ₦92 Billiom Revenue To States / Rivers LG Polls: PDP Moves Against Fubara, Calls For Suspension Of Elections / 3 Beneficiaries Of Amnesty Programme Graduate With First Class From Belarus.PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.