Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,516 members, 7,905,012 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 July 2024 at 12:15 AM

Britain Deputy Prime-Minister Opposes Bond Plan For Visitors - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Britain Deputy Prime-Minister Opposes Bond Plan For Visitors (8458 Views)

PMB And Deputy Prime Minister Of UAE (Hilarious) / APC Insists On Card Readers;Opposes Use Of Soldiers For 2015 Elections. / Bishop Oyedepo Said He Will Open The Gates Of Hell On Whoever Opposes GEJ. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Britain Deputy Prime-Minister Opposes Bond Plan For Visitors by Bash92(m): 10:06pm On Sep 15, 2013
By JILL LAWLESS Associated Press
Associated Press

Britain's deputy prime minister said Sunday he will try to block any attempt to make foreign visitors routinely pay a security deposit to come to the U.K., an idea that has spurred outrage in countries such as India and Nigeria.

The government plans to begin a pilot project in November involving "high-risk" countries, including Nigeria, Ghana, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka. Some visitors will have to pay a 3,000 pound ($4,800) deposit, which will be refunded upon departure but forfeited if travelers overstay their visas.

Officials and businesspeople in the affected countries have condemned the proposal, and the British government has not said how many visa applicants will have to pay the bond.

Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg said his Liberal Democrat party and its Conservative coalition partners had "differences of emphasis" on the plan, and details were still being discussed in government.

"I am absolutely not interested in a bond which becomes an indiscriminate way of clobbering people who want to come to this country," Clegg told the BBC. He said the bonds "are certainly not going to go ahead" on that basis.

"Of course in a coalition I can stop things," he added.

Immigration is a sensitive political issue in Britain, especially with the unemployment and austerity measures brought on by the economic crisis. Prime Minister David Cameron has pledged to cut net immigration from 252,000 a year in 2010 to below 100,000 a year by 2015.

While that plays well with the Conservatives' right-of-center supporters, it has been trouble for the centrist, liberal Lib Dems, who are holding their annual conference in Glasgow, Scotland.

The party is sagging in opinion polls 18 months ahead of a national election, and many members have expressed unease about the compromises involved in coalition government. Earlier this month one of the best-known Lib Dem lawmakers, Sarah Teather, said she was quitting because she felt the party no longer fought for social justice and liberal values.

Clegg defended his party's participation in the coalition, saying it had made the government fairer and more liberal.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/uk-deputy-leader-opposed-visitor-bond-plan-20260425
Re: Britain Deputy Prime-Minister Opposes Bond Plan For Visitors by henrychubayo: 10:16pm On Sep 15, 2013
Sensible man talking. What made america what it is today is the foreign nationals who immigrated long time ago. While british there talking rubbish on immigration, canada and australia are busy accepting foreigners who will help grow there economy. Sorry britons.

4 Likes

Re: Britain Deputy Prime-Minister Opposes Bond Plan For Visitors by ogb5(m): 10:54pm On Sep 15, 2013
my last 2yrs uk visa expired without being used. who get time to waste. with one scheghen visa, I can visit many countries. with one us visa I can visit many states, each bigger than the uk. why go to the uk.

4 Likes

Re: Britain Deputy Prime-Minister Opposes Bond Plan For Visitors by olopan(m): 9:59am On Sep 16, 2013
good of them......not planning on going there tho but them suppose reconcider am sef
Re: Britain Deputy Prime-Minister Opposes Bond Plan For Visitors by momodub: 10:00am On Sep 16, 2013
wink ok naaa
Re: Britain Deputy Prime-Minister Opposes Bond Plan For Visitors by braine(m): 10:01am On Sep 16, 2013
Correct.
Re: Britain Deputy Prime-Minister Opposes Bond Plan For Visitors by Eneze1(f): 10:02am On Sep 16, 2013
sensible statement
Re: Britain Deputy Prime-Minister Opposes Bond Plan For Visitors by oluwadartey: 10:03am On Sep 16, 2013
all is just a make-up..... so that it won't be like everybody supports it while deep down them like am. like the deputy pm wasn't there when they did the meeting. Wiqed pple...... make una carri una country go..... You guys will run back to us. *spits on ifa horn

4 Likes

Re: Britain Deputy Prime-Minister Opposes Bond Plan For Visitors by danbabe: 10:04am On Sep 16, 2013
I have used my 5 year UK visa only about 6 times since it was issued and it's still valid. I use my American visa a lot more. I prefer going to America a million times more smiley. The only reason I even go to Britain is to make sure that the visa is being used. I don't spend more than 3 -4 days maximum in Britain. It really doesn't appeal to me.

3 Likes

Re: Britain Deputy Prime-Minister Opposes Bond Plan For Visitors by adora4u1: 10:08am On Sep 16, 2013
Make dem reconsider o before Naija retaliate o!
Re: Britain Deputy Prime-Minister Opposes Bond Plan For Visitors by yuzedo: 10:09am On Sep 16, 2013
london is a poor contry were poeple like mr cork 190 adaobi123 idowuogbo etc nomally did houseman + housemaid job just to survive and eat one square food a weekly! angry angry angry

36 Likes

Re: Britain Deputy Prime-Minister Opposes Bond Plan For Visitors by deeptesting(m): 10:10am On Sep 16, 2013
They better oppose it because I know how much they will loose from me personally...Imagine my family of 4 wife's, 16 children and 3 Nannies not visiting the UK anymore where we spend an average of £250,000 annually on vacation... I no come no who dey benefit from each other self,please let me consult with my wife's to know our next option for vacation, I just hope Mariam will not suggest we go to Maiduguri.

1 Like

Re: Britain Deputy Prime-Minister Opposes Bond Plan For Visitors by Nobody: 10:14am On Sep 16, 2013
When I come back from SA, I will comment.
Re: Britain Deputy Prime-Minister Opposes Bond Plan For Visitors by yuzedo: 10:14am On Sep 16, 2013
danbabe: I have used my 5 year UK visa only about 6 times since it was issued and its still valid. I use my American visa a lot more. Prefer going to America a million times more smiley. The only reason I even go to Britain is to make sure that the visa is being used. I don't spend more than 3 -4 days maximum in Britain. It really doesn't appeal to me.
comon sharrapp u dis ikotun-eba babes dat have not seeee ordnary common ekenedilickuku bus talkless of airpot. angry u dis banana hawker in umunede formin wusup wusup for us on internet websight!!! undecided

24 Likes

Re: Britain Deputy Prime-Minister Opposes Bond Plan For Visitors by Lilimax(f): 10:16am On Sep 16, 2013
They would have sat down to re-consider how may millions of $ they will loose each year with this stupid policy.
Thought they've arrived financially
Dubai have taken over Britian's place in Nigeria as a country to go for vacation undecidedshocked.

1 Like

Re: Britain Deputy Prime-Minister Opposes Bond Plan For Visitors by Nobody: 10:18am On Sep 16, 2013
yuzedo: london is a poor contry were poeple like mr cork 190 adaobi123 idowuogbo etc nomally did houseman + housemaid job just to survive and eat one square food a weekly! angry angry angry
shocked grin shocked grin shocked grin shocked grin shocked grin shocked grin

1 Like

Re: Britain Deputy Prime-Minister Opposes Bond Plan For Visitors by Lilimax(f): 10:18am On Sep 16, 2013
yuzedo:
comon sharrapp u dis ikotun-eba babes dat have not seeee ordnary common ekenedilickuku bus talkless of airpot. angry u dis banana hawker in umunede formin wusup wusup for us on internet websight!!! undecided
grin grin
A lot of fakes original on NL why? undecided
Re: Britain Deputy Prime-Minister Opposes Bond Plan For Visitors by Nobody: 10:20am On Sep 16, 2013
Lilimax: grin grin
A lot of fakes on NL why undecided
yuzedo a fake? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Britain Deputy Prime-Minister Opposes Bond Plan For Visitors by turl(m): 10:24am On Sep 16, 2013
Clegg is just trying to save face. Nobody takes that fool serious anymore. Lib. dems'll be obliterated in the next elections.

adora4u1: Make dem reconsider o before Naija retaliate o!
Let's face it, Nigeria can't exactly deal an equal blow so all that talk about retaliation is nonsense. Hell, even India pulls more weight in the UK govts eyes.

yuzedo: london is a poor contry were poeple like mr cork 190 adaobi123 idowuogbo etc nomally did houseman + housemaid job just to survive and eat one square food a weekly! angry angry angry
London is not a country oga. Also, not all nairalanders you meet here do menial jobs in the Uk.

deeptesting: They better oppose it because I know how much they will loose from me personally...Imagine my family of 4 wife's, 16 children and 3 Nannies not visiting the UK anymore where we spend an average of £250,000 annually on vacation... I no come no who dey benefit from each other self,please let me consult with my wife's to know our next option for vacation, I just hope Mariam will not suggest we go to Maiduguri.
Go and read your book.

1 Like

Re: Britain Deputy Prime-Minister Opposes Bond Plan For Visitors by Nobody: 10:25am On Sep 16, 2013
yuzedo:
grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Britain Deputy Prime-Minister Opposes Bond Plan For Visitors by homesteady(m): 10:26am On Sep 16, 2013

LWKM!!

2 Likes

Re: Britain Deputy Prime-Minister Opposes Bond Plan For Visitors by Nobody: 10:27am On Sep 16, 2013
turl: London is not a country oga. Also, not all nairalanders you meet here do menial jobs in the Uk.
you must new to nl to take yuzedo seriously grin

3 Likes

Re: Britain Deputy Prime-Minister Opposes Bond Plan For Visitors by demelza: 10:28am On Sep 16, 2013
yuzedo:
grin Chief! Chief!! I know this is a ploy to get her number.

3 Likes

Re: Britain Deputy Prime-Minister Opposes Bond Plan For Visitors by Lilimax(f): 10:28am On Sep 16, 2013
satanist: yuzedo a fake? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Not at all. I was referring to the fellow that claimed he wanted to consult his wife Mariam for vacation...

1 Like

Re: Britain Deputy Prime-Minister Opposes Bond Plan For Visitors by Symphony007: 10:34am On Sep 16, 2013
No surprise clegg opposes the bond. He is a liberal democrat and thet belive in immigration. But he is in a conservative coalition worried about reelection. Who need this to sstisfy their base and they will never back down from it. And sadly, over the years, the britsih people have moves so far to the right on immigration that cleggs position might end up making his party loose more common's seat in 2015.

1 Like

Re: Britain Deputy Prime-Minister Opposes Bond Plan For Visitors by Nobody: 10:36am On Sep 16, 2013
Lilimax:
Not at all. I was referring to the fellow that claimed he wanted to consult his wife Mariam for vacation...
your sin is forgiven..... go and sin no more
Re: Britain Deputy Prime-Minister Opposes Bond Plan For Visitors by Iaz93: 10:42am On Sep 16, 2013
turl:
London is not a country oga. Also, not all nairalanders you meet here do menial jobs in the Uk.
LOL.
Someone trying to correct Yuzedo grin grin grin grin angry angry angry

6 Likes

Re: Britain Deputy Prime-Minister Opposes Bond Plan For Visitors by Nobody: 10:43am On Sep 16, 2013
where is my phone let me call cameron.
ebig:cameron!
cameron: sir
ebig: will u remove that bond on nigerians
cameron: yes sir.
ebig:thats all for now
cameron: k sir

grin grin grin
Re: Britain Deputy Prime-Minister Opposes Bond Plan For Visitors by Forzap: 10:43am On Sep 16, 2013
Post witheld lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Britain Deputy Prime-Minister Opposes Bond Plan For Visitors by funnyx(m): 10:46am On Sep 16, 2013
ogb5: my last 2yrs uk visa expired without being used. who get time to waste. with one scheghen visa, I can visit many countries. with one us visa I can visit many states, each bigger than the uk. why go to the uk.

Why did you get the UK visa in the first place? Do you just like to waste your money?

2 Likes

Re: Britain Deputy Prime-Minister Opposes Bond Plan For Visitors by Nobody: 10:47am On Sep 16, 2013
yuzedo:
cheesy cheesy Sharap, what do u know in ur banana iceland

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

22 Parties Meet, Propose Policy Framework For Buhari / Future Governments Will Struggle To Meet Buhari’s Records –Sagay / Nigeria Loses N499.32bn As Twitter Ban Hits 200 Days

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.