Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,185,111 members, 7,925,503 topics. Date: Monday, 19 August 2024 at 04:50 PM

Turkish Hackers Deface Hundreds Of Sites Sonymusic's Included - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Turkish Hackers Deface Hundreds Of Sites Sonymusic's Included (1584 Views)

Do Not Fall For This Phising Scam From Hackers. Beware!!! (photo) / Hackers Hit Atms In Lagos, Device Means To Collect Pins & ATM Card Data / Lagbaja's Website Hacked by Turkish Hackers! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Turkish Hackers Deface Hundreds Of Sites Sonymusic's Included by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 11:34am On Jun 04, 2006
Sony Music defaced site,
http://sonymusic.it/index.php

Source of the Story
http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/Ou/?p=239

Just sounding a silent alarm to Naija Webmasters, it is not a problem specific to Godaddy alone.

I have found the following webhosts to have fallen to similar design flaws that allow webpages defacement

www.readyhosting.com
www.isqsolutions.com
www.pronethosting.com
www.networksolutions.com - domain hijack (last exploit 2004 *fixed* not published)
www.myhosting.com

These ones i know because i use them (I am sure other webhosts have similar flaws)

Weaknesses.
1: All the webhosts above use a naming convention for their clients webhost space example CNN would be \\hostserver\planB\CNN\www or \db or \database for storing databases
2: Most have at least a url based "action" link that basically opens up another page (displaying account profile name,passwords,emails etc)
3: They also have the "ever-living" cgi-bin directory that allows you to run self-made hacker programs that lists all programs or users directories on the web server, as well as edit / delete and deface pages in those directories, if you are good with VB (i mean very nasty-good) you can do a lot of damage to websites hosted on servers that give you a cgi-bin directory.

Note, you do not need to hack the webhost to do this, just register for a web account.

(1) (Reply)

I Got $100 On Each Nigerian Girl Trafficked To Egypt - Alfa / 3 Women molestation Soldier, Dump Him In The Bush!!! / How Okada Man Raped Primary School Girl

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.