Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,150 members, 7,880,607 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 10:21 PM

Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? - Romance (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? (9834 Views)

Photos! If You Attended This Traditional Marriage What Would You Have Done. / Living Together Before Marriage - Is It A Good Idea? / Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry The Rich? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by Nobody: 11:37am On Sep 22, 2013
waternogetenemy:

I will let bigots like u, reply ur senseless convo. haba! Ur tribalism pass grade 1. U really need me to name failed marriages or divorce? Even Ojukwu was divorced. U people are so stuck in ur generalisation and trying to put down other cultures and uphold urs as superior in ways that surpasses reason. I don sign out jooor. I will never support or encourage divorce as a culture, but neither will I condemn it

Lol.......
Please name more grin
Yea, Ojukwu divorced a wife his age to marry a child. Cool beans

Nobody supports divorce. It is rarely anticipated. It happens.
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by MrsChima(f): 11:37am On Sep 22, 2013
waternogetenemy:

Nobody is selling anybody, marriage in all traditions involve spending, some more than others. Someone told me that in Yorubaland the bride shoulder the cost of marriage. The case is reversed in Igboland and even today the cost is split between the bride and bridegroom. Try not to sound tribalistic with every thing you say. Igbo culture promotes responsibility and does not mandate anybody to stay where they are mistreated either. U do get igbo couple separated and divorced but not high.

Why not remove bride price altogether? The sole purpose was to pay the parents for their blessings in the union.

You have dumb folks asking women would they help pay for their price I mean it's like giving the ho money to pay for herself!
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by SaintChukz(m): 11:40am On Sep 22, 2013
Bliss4Lyfe: Igbo girls don't come cheap oh. Parents spend alot for masters programme abroad to say the least. Igbo guys know this and don't complain, but imo is more expensive than anywhere in igboland.
Imo girls Chai....there is problem oh! And i always regard them as the most beautiful in the whole of Igboland.
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by MrsChima(f): 11:40am On Sep 22, 2013
waternogetenemy:

I will let bigots like u, reply ur senseless convo. haba! Ur tribalism pass grade 1. U really need me to name failed marriages or divorce? Even Ojukwu was divorced. U people are so stuck in ur generalisation and trying to put down other cultures and uphold urs as superior in ways that surpasses reason. I don sign out jooor. I will never support or encourage divorce as a culture, but neither will I condemn it. That is the igbo way, love it or leave it.

It must not be solely the Igbo way because many Igbos are divorced and many have remarried twice.

Many non-Igbos supports marriage until death do part but many aren't unrealistic either.
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by Bolubaba(m): 11:41am On Sep 22, 2013
I want to marry an Igbo girl and I earn 25k per month. How am I going to get this done grin
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by MrsChima(f): 11:47am On Sep 22, 2013
Bolubaba: I want to marry an Igbo girl and I earn 25k per month. How am I going to get this done grin

Marry an Ijaw....they are close enough. grin
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by Bolubaba(m): 11:50am On Sep 22, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

Marry an Ijaw....they are close enough. grin
How much are my to budget for an ijaw woman
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by MrsChima(f): 11:52am On Sep 22, 2013
Bolubaba:
How much are my to budget for an ijaw woman

Less than you would pay for an Igbo bride.
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by Lucasbalo(m): 11:52am On Sep 22, 2013
waternogetenemy: Eliminate Babaloja and Mamaloja, that agbero culture is disgraceful. A man must be financially capable to get married, otherwise they have hungry kids.
. It shows your character trying to demean someone because u disagree with d person. What has babaloja and mamaloja has to do with my writeup. You bringing senseless tribalism to where it doesn't belong. I am a man of means by all measuring scale, and I will not pay a dime to get married to anyone. Love is not about money or dowry u pay. It's nothing but extortion. I guess , I grew up in a different culture. Well , its meaningless having a rational discussion with irrational being like u.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by ichidodo: 11:57am On Sep 22, 2013
Some people and their belly ache.If yoruba girls are cheap our girls shouldn't follow suit, we know their value and worth.Small reasons why our women are relatively well treated some are even pampered (you don't drive a Ferrari to hell because you bought it with big money) to a fault and our divorce rate is at an all time low. If you cannot make the cut compromises might be discussed between families,it is the attempt (a symbolic gesture) that is most important and not the end result. The tradition makes it for our daughters,sisters etc to be valued and respected amongst their in laws.
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by MrsChima(f): 11:57am On Sep 22, 2013
Lucasbalo: . It shows your character trying to demean someone because u disagree with d person. What has babaloja and mamaloja has to do with my writeup. You bringing senseless tribalism to where it doesn't belong. I am a man of means by all measuring scale, and I will not pay a dime to get married to anyone. Love is not about money or dowry u pay. It's nothing but extortion. I guess , I grew up in a different culture. Well , its meaningless having a rational discussion with irrational being like u.

You shouldn't have to pay for a wife. If she loves you and you loves her....it shouldn't cost a penny.
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by nbright: 12:07pm On Sep 22, 2013
Segeggs: All that 4 a gal dat is not a virgin but a leftover with slacked punny? Not me angry
HOLY GHOST ........
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by Nobody: 12:12pm On Sep 22, 2013
ichidodo: Some people and their belly ache.If yoruba girls are cheap our girls shouldn't follow suit, we know their value and worth.Small reasons why our women are relatively well treated some are even pampered (you don't drive a Ferrari to hell because you bought it with big money) to a fault and our divorce rate is at an all time low. If you cannot make the cut compromises might be discussed between families,it is the attempt (a symbolic gesture) that is most important and not the end result. The tradition makes it for our daughters,sisters etc to be valued and respected amongst their in laws.

Ezewuruwuru of idiotsville, have you bought a wife?
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by Lucasbalo(m): 12:14pm On Sep 22, 2013
ichidodo: Some people and their belly ache.If yoruba girls are cheap our girls shouldn't follow suit, we know their value and worth.Small reasons why our women are relatively well treated some are even pampered (you don't drive a Ferrari to hell because you bought it with big money) to a fault and our divorce rate is at an all time low. If you cannot make the cut compromises might be discussed between families,it is the attempt (a symbolic gesture) that is most important and not the end result. The tradition makes it for our daughters,sisters etc to be valued and respected amongst their in laws.
. That's is bunch of bull. I lost two friends ( Lady and a Guy ) to senseless stuff because of adultery. They met each other while we were in college and get married few years after graduation. Things went well and all of a sudden , I got a call that my friend went to his wife place of work and shot her dead accusing her of adultery. He was arrested, prosecuted and senteced to 40 years in jail. The wife is dead and the husband will be in jail for a very long time. The children (2 young boys) are the losers. They lost both parents because the father thought he owns the wife. Why would someone think like that, if not for the fact that he thought he own her. Please get real, it's antiquated custom that should be discarded.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:14pm On Sep 22, 2013
Ucheosefoh: In Idemili marriage is so cheap that with 50k u don do everything go de enjoy ur wife unless u want to make it a big traditional wedding. Bride price here is 2k with a list that will not cost more than 50k

Yes,a bit cheaper. Are you by any chance from Umuoji ?
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by waternogetenemy: 12:15pm On Sep 22, 2013
Mrs.Chima(f): 11:57am
You shouldn't have to pay for a wife. If she loves you and you loves her....it shouldn't cost a penny.
@mrs chima, Even these dayz no need to sign papars,just move in with the guy and start having babies. It is called cohabitation Halle Berry is an example. Marriage no be by force. It is ur choice oh. I like to do all three, court,traditional and White and have beautiful babies with no divorce, come disagree with this, cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by ichidodo: 12:18pm On Sep 22, 2013
Dallas Cowgirl:

Ezewuruwuru of idiotsville, have you bought a wife?
Mamaloja of slutville, we don't buy wives.
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by Nobody: 12:20pm On Sep 22, 2013
ichidodo: Mamaloja of slutville, we don't buy wives.

You don't? You just keep her based on the items and money you gave her village.

Odenigbo Aroli:

Yes,a bit cheaper. Are you by any chance from Umuoji ?

Sounds like a transaction.

Lol @ one village is cheaper. Like buying meat in the market wink

1 Like

Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by Lucasbalo(m): 12:21pm On Sep 22, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

You shouldn't have to pay for a wife. If she loves you and you loves her....it shouldn't cost a penny. Thank u Mrs Chima. You are 100% right. Ask all this fools how much do Bill Gates or Warren Buffet paid for their spouses. Its these fools who have nothing and they have to borrow and sell their personal stuff to marry . Who r u trying to impress ?.

Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by Lucasbalo(m): 12:27pm On Sep 22, 2013
. Go tell that to the families of 2 ladies that were killed in Houston by their husbands because of adultery. Mr Ferrari.
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by nbright: 12:28pm On Sep 22, 2013
Lucasbalo: I can't believe this kind of scam is still going on in the name of marriage. I can understand getting a little stuff as a token but not bankrupting someone in the name of marriage. Wow, I guess in some parts of Nigeria , marriage is for only well to do guys. No wonder we hear about cases of husbands killing their wives because of adultery. I guess , they must have felt they own the wives after investing so much. This kind of stuff should be eliminated .
@bolded... That's true.. Imagine paying all those things demanded by the family then you take the said wife home and she's not up to your expectations... If she'd insisted on the no sex untill after wedding, after the wedding you enter her and discover that she's too wide and it can also accomodate your two stones together with your sausage... Hmmm

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by ichidodo: 12:32pm On Sep 22, 2013
Lucasbalo: . That's is bunch of bull. I lost two friends ( Lady and a Guy ) to senseless stuff because of adultery. They met each other while we were in college and get married few years after graduation. Things went well and all of a sudden , I got a call that my friend went to his wife place of work and shot her dead accusing her of adultery. He was arrested, prosecuted and senteced to 40 years in jail. The wife is dead and the husband will be in jail for a very long time. The children (2 young boys) are the losers. They lost both parents because the father thought he owns the wife. Why would someone think like that, if not for the fact that he thought he own her. Please get real, it's antiquated custom that should be discarded.
Big deal, this incidences are few and far between.It is clear he isnt Mr Right and ofcourse you can see the same situation also applies where the man didn't observe due diligience as far as bride price is concerned example The Arowolo case.What i need you to decipher is the rationale behind the custom, most individuals value what cost them most and what you value most you take darn good care of it.
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by ichidodo: 12:37pm On Sep 22, 2013
Lucasbalo: . Go tell that to the families of 2 ladies that were killed in Houston by their husbands because of adultery. Mr Ferrari.
Sorry it ain't my fault the ladies got married to GORILLAS.By chance you get hitched with one no matter how cheap or expensive your trad is you will still be GORILLA MEAT.
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by Bolubaba(m): 12:52pm On Sep 22, 2013
This is one of the many reasons why guys do money rituals just to impress their inlaws /inlaws to be.
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by nbright: 1:55pm On Sep 22, 2013
Bolubaba: This is one of the many reasons why guys do money rituals just to impress their inlaws /inlaws to be.
Yes... It is ONE OF the MANY reasons why some guys indulge in money making rituals..
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by MrsChima(f): 3:42pm On Sep 22, 2013

What's cracking love-vendor? grin
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by MrsChima(f): 3:47pm On Sep 22, 2013
waternogetenemy:
@mrs chima, Even these dayz no need to sign papars,just move in with the guy and start having babies. It is called cohabitation Halle Berry is an example. Marriage no be by force. It is ur choice oh. I like to do all three, court,traditional and White and have beautiful babies with no divorce, come disagree with this, cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

You should know the above are poor examples and doesn't justify buying wives.
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by ketoprofen(m): 4:08pm On Sep 22, 2013
Dallas Cowgirl:

Do yourself a favor and list them....
Lol the lies una keep telling yourself on Nairaland.
Almost all the Rich Yorubas of reputable names are married to Yoruba women.
Nairaland, the cyber airway for ibo lies grin wink

I'm still at awe that many Yorubas are letting Ibo ppl continue with their lies on Nairaland.
Is it Yoruba men that marry Ibo ladies that still turn back to Yoruba women at the end? I.e Stella Damascus that has been passed around between 3 Yoruba men, 2 divorces etc.

yoruba women are d ones dat gv birth in dier homes.
It happens in real life not nairaland.
Yorbas dat want to marry igbo r d rich ones to start with. And its a feat for dem
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by ketoprofen(m): 4:15pm On Sep 22, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

so doing traditional rites is now buying a wife.
how exactly did chima marry u?
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by Nobody: 4:33pm On Sep 22, 2013
So the Igbos take pride in the culture that mandates selling of their female children??

The girls are even bragging on the amount they get sold for, interesting.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by Lucasbalo(m): 5:09pm On Sep 22, 2013
ichidodo: Big deal, this incidences are few and far between.It is clear he isnt Mr Right and ofcourse you can see the same situation also applies where the man didn't observe due diligience as far as bride price is concerned example The Arowolo case.What i need you to decipher is the rationale behind the custom, most individuals value what cost them most and what you value most you take darn good care of it.
. I don't know which hell hole u reside. There are lots of good traditions in Africa especially Nigeria. The good ones we should keep, the few bad ones we should get read of. This particular one shouldn't be happening now. By the way, this has nothing to do with tribe. Please for heave sake, let's leave tribalism out of this. Some of my closest friends from S/E are against this particular tradition. I guess education and western ways of life makes a big difference.
Re: Igbo Traditional Marriage, Is It Only For The Rich? by Lucasbalo(m): 5:30pm On Sep 22, 2013
Segeggs: All that 4 a gal dat is not a virgin but a leftover with slacked punny? Not me angry
. That's a good one.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Mtchwwww. See How This Shameless Girl Poses With Her Bf In A Picture. / Erect Nipples: Why Do Some Girls Have Erect Nipples? / Lady Shares Pics After Seeing Her Little Brother & Sister Doing This At Home(p

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.