Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,064 members, 7,906,939 topics. Date: Wednesday, 31 July 2024 at 07:21 PM

Okogie On 2015: Don’t Run, Jonathan, Don’t... - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okogie On 2015: Don’t Run, Jonathan, Don’t... (5302 Views)

Jonathan : Don’t Single Out My Administration For Probe / Youth Leaders To Jonathan: Don’t Contest 2015 Election / Obasanjo To Jonathan: Don’t Remove Subsidy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okogie On 2015: Don’t Run, Jonathan, Don’t... by duwdu: 5:41am On Sep 22, 2013
Dear Nairalanders;

The following was just sighted as the primary news item on the front page of The Guardian Newspapers of Lagos.

Enjoy.

Okogie On 2015: Don’t Run, Jonathan, Don’t...

Sunday, 22 September 2013 00:00 By Gbenga Salau News -

THE Archbishop emeritus of the Catholic Archdiocese of Lagos, His Eminence, Anthony Cardinal Olubunmi Okogie, has advised President Goodluck Jonathan to jettison the idea (if any) of running for a second term in office in 2015.

In an exclusive interview with The Guardian, Okogie said “the handwriting on the wall,” does not favour it, even as the election date is two years away.

Making direct reference to the alleged “third-term bid” of former President Olusegun Obasanjo, the Archbishop, who decried flattery and sycophancy ‘in high places,’ stressed the need to keep political agreement, if any.

According to Okogie, by 20015, the incumbent President would have served the country in that capacity for, at least, six years, the number of service years, which, he said, is enough for modest contribution to national development.

“If I were Jonathan, I will not try it (running for a second term), because the writing on the wall does not favour it. We have not even got to 2015, (yet) there is so much sycophancy and flattery. It is like telling Okogie now to go into politics: ‘come, you are the kind of person we want;’ you think I’m stupid?”

He continued: “Jonathan will be there for almost six years; there was a time, he was Vice, and now President for four years. What is he looking for again? It is just like comparing it with Obasanjo; what was Obasanjo looking for in third term?

“You know what happened then. Apart from the story that Jonathan made an agreement that he would do just one term, if it is true, do you think those who were there when he said ‘just one term’ are stupid.”

The Bishop Emeritus also expressed dissatisfaction with the manner the Nigerian elite go about the business of politics, describing it in the words of late musician, Fela Anikulapo Kuti, as “chop I chop.” He also condemned corruption and the killings in Nigeria.

“And why are so many people running into politics? 2015 is two years away; see how they are killing themselves. Who even knows who will get to 2015? What do you think they are looking for, money? Nothing else. They are not patriotic; they are not. All our political leaders, how many of them can beat their chests to say they are patriotic. It is just gimmick and pancake that they are doing.”

FULL INTERVIEW

Anthony Cardinal Olubunmi Okogie, 77 is a Catholic Priest and social crusader. He was ordained a Priest in 1966, at the age of 30; five years after in 1971, he was appointed Auxiliary Bishop of Oyo. After serving in that office for two years, he was promoted the Archbishop of Lagos in 1973 and got elevated to the office of Cardinal in 2003. As a Priest, Okogie did not only lead his sheep along the path of righteousness, he also stood for less privileged persons and spoke ceaselessly on their behalf. He was quick to join issues with governments whose actions and decisions do not favour the people. Now in retirement, he spoke to GBENGA SALAU on a range of issues concerning the country and his faith.

SOME people have argued that Nigeria has not achieved much in spite of her resources, because religious leaders tend to romance the political class, instead of calling them to order when the need arises; do you agree?

I will not agree with you that it is only the religious leaders that are romancing with the political leaders; I do not think it is true. It is the society as a whole, and people like to romance where the pasture is green. But unfortunately, religious leaders happen to be among them and they are members of the society, so we cannot exclude ourselves. It is a pity that a good number of those who call themselves religious leaders today are not religious leaders; they only became religious leaders because they want to feed their tummy and because the Bible and the Koran is available for everybody. And they feel they can take it up, read and interpret it to suit themselves; but no way. And this is why they are not keeping to their calling

Unfortunately also, all these people who form churches get approval from the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC). When we were there in Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), we told them, they have no right to approve any church because the church is something spiritual, even the Lord Jesus Christ said that you should give unto Caesar what belongs to Caesar and to God what belongs to God.

Churches belong to the spiritual spheres. For example, any religious leader that dabble into politics, I do not say that politics is bad because it is part and parcel of us, but the problem is that when they go into politics, they forget that is not there field. For CAC, we tried to tell them that they have no right to license the formation of a church. Already, we have about two or three associations that cater to religious groups, so these large groups, when somebody comes up to say he wants to form a church, why not send him to these groups, let them screen him, whether he is genuine or not. Not CAC, which is for business, that is why most of these people, when they are licensed they go into business and they say they are preaching the gospel and show you the certificate from CAC to back up their work. Who is at fault? It is not our fault and this was what we were fighting for when CAN began. This is it.

Because of the love of money and materialism, things began to take another different shape. The religious leaders began to say, ‘why can’t I do this or that, after all, I am a human being, God says this, God said that;’ who ever heard from God. It is the conscience that dictates all these things. And if you read the Bible properly, you cannot serve God and mammon together, it is not possible. This is why these people mislead their followers and are always after money. For instance, what does a religious leader have to do with a jet plane or many wives? The Bible says we are in the world but not of the world. So they want to be in both, they cannot.

Therefore, how can we attain development when those who are supposed to knock you on the head when you go wrong, are not there? This is the problem and this is what we have at the moment and how many religious leaders can you point to that are straightforward and godly? There are lay people today who are far better than religious leaders, but they also keep their mouths shut. But I also wonder, why can’t they talk too because they are part of the society. So that is why I said it is not only religious leaders. It is just greed and a lot of religious leaders have lost their calling and they have nowhere to go; that is why they are pushing on. Some are even going into politics. I often see commissioner so, so, so with Reverend title before his name, what is he looking for there. Are we saying we cannot sanitise these places from outside, because good example teaches best? So what are you looking for inside? Once you are there, gradually with time, you will want to play along. This is the problem.

But has the church provided good example?

This is because ....

Read the rest of the interview at:

Source: http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/national-news/133511--okogie-on-2015dont-run-jonathan-dont

P34c3

Re: Okogie On 2015: Don’t Run, Jonathan, Don’t... by Nobody: 5:49am On Sep 22, 2013
The militants and creek boys are coming to insult Olubunmi Okogie. One of the most respected clergies we have in Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Okogie On 2015: Don’t Run, Jonathan, Don’t... by andresia(m): 5:59am On Sep 22, 2013
There is no doubt that the wanton killings in all parts of Nigeria is bcause of GEJ's ambition! And that is wrong. Nigeria will be a safer place as soon as a change in leadership occurs (no matter who replaces GEJ) and we it should not be 2019 but 2015!

Pls sycophants let GEJ leave in 2015 so as to save this country. We should not destroy this country cos of one man's greed for power that we all know he is not handling right

3 Likes

Re: Okogie On 2015: Don’t Run, Jonathan, Don’t... by Nobody: 6:00am On Sep 22, 2013
I bet they will soon be here.
Re: Okogie On 2015: Don’t Run, Jonathan, Don’t... by Nobody: 6:04am On Sep 22, 2013
Re: Okogie On 2015: Don’t Run, Jonathan, Don’t... by batstan(m): 6:10am On Sep 22, 2013
Hard facts/truths!!! I know GEJ will heed to the advice. *MOG with many wives got me cracking* cool
Re: Okogie On 2015: Don’t Run, Jonathan, Don’t... by Goddex: 6:13am On Sep 22, 2013
Jonathan will contest in 2015 and he will win. No one ethnic region owns Nigeria. Okojie is not a politician. If the killings is because a minority is president for the first time and again, if Nigeria will divide because of that, then maybe God destined it to happen that way and we will gladly welcome it.

OKojie might be eyeing a NOBEL PEACE PRIZE but that remains an individual award. The wellbeing of the generality of the entire christaindom worldwide is what should matter to him. Just this morning in Pakistan, a church filled to capacity was blown up by this same people they sacrifice a lot to make peace with.

10 Likes

Re: Okogie On 2015: Don’t Run, Jonathan, Don’t... by Nobody: 6:43am On Sep 22, 2013
Nonsense! If not for anything, for the mere fact that Boko Haram and other DESTRUCTIVE elements said GEJ must not seek re-election, GEJ MUST now seek re-election. GEJ must go for his CONSTITUTIONALLY guaranteed second term even if it means balkanising the country. There's nothing any EVIL group, power mongers or sycophants can do about it.

Where were these evil merchants when IBB ruled for 8 years without the consent of Nigerians? Where was Boko Haram when Abacha ruled for 5 years (just about 1 year after the 8 year rule of IBB) and was about making himself civillian president before death came calling? From 1979 till 1999, we had an unbroken chain of northern head of state/president (save for the less than 1year rule of Shonekan). That is a period of about 20 solid years. Why didn't the southern part of country make the country ungovernable or create its version of Boko Haram? Nonsense!

GEJ contesting is no longer about personal ambition. It is now about showing some people that they cannot climb to power on the back of terror and blood shed. It is now about proving to some people that other parts of the country are ALSO born to rule the country.

The president of Nigeria is the president of EVERY part of Nigeria. He is not only the president of Boko Haram troubled states like Borno and Yobe. He is also the president of the relatively peaceful states like Enugu, Ebonyi, Anambra, Delta, Imo, Abia, Cross River, Lagos, Ekiti,etc. He also has responsibilities to Nigerians in those relatively peaceful states in terms of infrastructural development, job creation, health, education,etc.

As for the Boko Haram troubled states, the president has discharged his constitutional responsibilities to them, as much as possible within the limits of high insecurity in those places. Work on certain sections of Kano-Maiduguri road project has been stalled as we speak, not because of lack of funds but because of Boko Haram. Same applies to PH-Maiduguri railway project. Under GEJ govt we've seen a situation where even when govt puts money on the table for project execution, projects are stalled in north due to Boko Haram. Who then do we blame? Those funds should be diverted to address the needs of relatively peaceful parts of the country. Govt has also deployed troops and declared SOE. If those are not enough, and if the violence will not stop except GEJ steps down, then GEJ can NEVER step down. He can NEVER forgo his right to seek re-election. We'll see who gets tired of the violence.

Has anyone noticed that the Borno youths (civillian JTF) who got tired of the killings, took their own destiny in their hands and fought to push back Boko Haram, have not received ANY word of commendation or appreciation from ANY of the prominent northern leaders (political or religious)? Yeye dey smell!

Note: The WORST evil people can do after reading this post is to attack the messenger (me). I'm ready and already used to their attacks. So lets go!

18 Likes

Re: Okogie On 2015: Don’t Run, Jonathan, Don’t... by tyson99(m): 6:56am On Sep 22, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Nonsense! If not for anything, for the mere fact that Boko Haram and other DESTRUCTIVE elements said GEJ must not seek re-election, GEJ MUST now seek re-election. GEJ must go for his CONSTITUTIONALLY guaranteed second term even if it means balkanising the country. There's nothing any EVIL group, power mongers or sycophants can do about it.

Where were these evil merchants when IBB ruled for 8 years without the consent of Nigerians? Where was Boko Haram when Abacha ruled for 5 years (just about 1 year after the 8 year rule of IBB) and was about making himself civillian president before death came calling? From 1979 till 1999, we had an unbroken chain of northern head of state/president (save for the less than 1year rule of Shonekan). That is a period of about 20 solid years. Why didn't the southern part of country make the country ungovernable or create its version of Boko Haram? Nonsense!

GEJ contesting is no longer about personal ambition. It is now about showing some people that they cannot climb to power on the back of terror and blood shed. It is now about proving to some people that other parts of the country are ALSO born to rule the country.

The president of Nigeria is the president of EVERY part of Nigeria. He is not only the president of Boko Haram troubled states like Borno and Yobe. He is also the president of the relatively peaceful states like Enugu, Ebonyi, Anambra, Delta, Imo, Abia, Cross River, Lagos, Ekiti,etc. He also has responsibilities to Nigerians in those relatively peaceful states in terms of infrastructural development, job creation, health, education,etc.

As for the Boko Haram troubled states, the president has discharged his constitutional responsibilities to them, as much as possible within the limits of high insecurity in those places. Work on certain sections of Kano-Maiduguri road project has been stalled as we speak, not because of lack of funds but because of Boko Haram. Same applies to PH-Maiduguri railway project. Under GEJ govt we've seen a situation where even when govt puts money on the table for project execution, projects are stalled in north due to Boko Haram. Who then do we blame? Those funds should be diverted to address the needs of relatively peaceful parts of the country. Govt has also deployed troops and declared SOE. If those are not enough, and if the violence will not stop except GEJ steps down, then GEJ can NEVER step down. He can NEVER forgo his right to seek re-election. We'll see who gets tired of the violence.

Has anyone noticed that the Borno youths (civillian JTF) who got tired of the killings, took their own destiny in their hands and fought to push back Boko Haram, have not received ANY word of commendation or appreciation from ANY of the prominent northern leaders (political or religious)? Yeye dey smell!

Note: The WORST evil people can do after reading this post is to attack the messenger (me). I'm ready and already used to their attacks. So lets go!
I wish i have a gun,i would have blown ur head off immediately to pieces dat ur teeth might be found in kano and ur eyeballs in lagos....omokomo oshi radarada.....iwo ati GEJ koni sorire

19 Likes

Re: Okogie On 2015: Don’t Run, Jonathan, Don’t... by stebell(m): 6:57am On Sep 22, 2013
payless: The militants and creek boys are coming to insult Olubunmi Okogie. One of the most respected clergies we have in Nigeria.
Jus one word for yu. Unam.
Re: Okogie On 2015: Don’t Run, Jonathan, Don’t... by awodman: 6:58am On Sep 22, 2013
Its no longer about personal ambition but about showing some group of people that they don't own this country...GEJ will contest and definitely win in 2015...

4 Likes

Re: Okogie On 2015: Don’t Run, Jonathan, Don’t... by awodman: 7:01am On Sep 22, 2013
tyson99:
I wish i have a gun,i would have blown ur head off immediately to pieces dat ur teeth might be found in kano and ur eyeballs in lagos....omokomo oshi radarada.....iwo ati GEJ koni sorire
Blast his head Because you don't like what he said?...Can you prove that any of what he said is not the hard truth?...why do u guys like resorting to violence when you disagree with someone else..This attitude of yours is what makes us insist that GEJ must contest for 2015..When he wins you can go and commit sucide

4 Likes

Re: Okogie On 2015: Don’t Run, Jonathan, Don’t... by tyson99(m): 7:02am On Sep 22, 2013
awodman: Its no longer about personal ambition but about showing some group of people that they don't own this country...GEJ will contest and definitely win in 2015...
Sebi na u be the d whole population in naija dat will vote alone and ur uncle na jega...oponu ayerada

8 Likes

Re: Okogie On 2015: Don’t Run, Jonathan, Don’t... by stebell(m): 7:05am On Sep 22, 2013
Any one who says GEJ shud not contest is dead in de brain. I don't want to say much but I'll jus ask de 'MOG' if wat he's saying is frm de Almighty God or it's his own personal opinion. Yeye truly D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ smell.
In GEJ we trust

Long Live GEJ
Long Live Naija
Long Live de transformation team
#Fresh Air# tins every where yu go.
=))º°˚˚˚°ºнaĦaнaº°˚˚˚°º=))=))

3 Likes

Re: Okogie On 2015: Don’t Run, Jonathan, Don’t... by tyson99(m): 7:06am On Sep 22, 2013
awodman:
Blast his head Because you don't like what he said?...Can you prove that any of what he said is not the hard truth?...why do u guys like resorting to violence when you disagree with someone else..This attitude of yours is what makes us insist that GEJ must contest for 2015..When he wins you can go and commit sucide
If you join ur head too it will surely be blasted as well

2 Likes

Re: Okogie On 2015: Don’t Run, Jonathan, Don’t... by awodman: 7:08am On Sep 22, 2013
tyson99:
Sebi na u be the d whole population in naija dat will vote alone and ur uncle na jega...oponu ayerada
I never said I am and I will never be the whole population..Nairaland has over 500,000 members to start with and most hardly comment...cos you feel GEJ hasn't done well doesn't mean that the rest of the 499,999 agree with you..Like I said get ready to hang yourself come 2015..Afterall Buhari won nairaland polls back in 2011
Re: Okogie On 2015: Don’t Run, Jonathan, Don’t... by Nobody: 7:13am On Sep 22, 2013
I remeber Pope John Paul 11 visit to Abacha in the 'last' days.

Fly weh no de hear word.............

4 Likes

Re: Okogie On 2015: Don’t Run, Jonathan, Don’t... by tyson99(m): 7:14am On Sep 22, 2013
awodman:
I never said I am and I will never be the whole population..Nairaland has over 500,000 members to start with and most hardly comment...cos you feel GEJ hasn't done well doesn't mean that the rest of the 499,999 agree with you..Like I said get ready to hang yourself come 2015..Afterall Buhari won nairaland polls back in 2011
And come 2015 when ur GEJ loose,get ready to pour out a lake from ur eyes cos u go cry ehn?....e go be like say u see ur death day ni.

6 Likes

Re: Okogie On 2015: Don’t Run, Jonathan, Don’t... by wirinet(m): 7:16am On Sep 22, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Nonsense! If not for anything, for the mere fact that Boko Haram and other DESTRUCTIVE elements said GEJ must not seek re-election, GEJ MUST now seek re-election. GEJ must go for his CONSTITUTIONALLY guaranteed second term even if it means balkanising the country. There's nothing any EVIL group, power mongers or sycophants can do about it.

I usually do not respond to paid hacks, as it is like arguing with a recorded video. Every thing is pre-recorded and they just spew out the messages without thought. but I will briefly comment here.

So you suggest GEJ should see his presidential ambition plunging this country into a civil war and go ahead just to show he is brave? Do you know how many millions of lives that would be lost in the course of a civil war ( including Ijaws and Igbos), not to talk of tens of millions that would be displaced. I am sure you will be the first to run into benin republic at the first sound of gun shots.

Now I am not saying jonathan should cower out and give into threats and intimidation, what I am saying is that he should use tact, diplomacy and negotiations to manage the situation. OBJ could also have caused crisis by holding unto power illegally by ramming the third term on us, but he used tact and wisdom to bow out while imposing an uninspiring Yaradua and an unambitious Jonathan on us.

To me the masterstroke would be for Jonathan to shelf his presidential ambition and impose an igbo president (maybe Okonjo Iweala), even if it is with a promise for a single term. That way he will checkmate the "born to rule" northerners and become a legend in the south( especially for the igbos).

3 Likes

Re: Okogie On 2015: Don’t Run, Jonathan, Don’t... by omoalaro: 7:23am On Sep 22, 2013
Now, compare this man of God to the other god of men who doubles as the head of the spiritual arm of the PDP. Is it not like comparing light and darkness?

6 Likes

Re: Okogie On 2015: Don’t Run, Jonathan, Don’t... by Nobody: 7:24am On Sep 22, 2013
Sorry my beloved Cardinal. While we meditate on the extended significance of your suggestion, it is necessary to state that Jonathan's re-lection has now become necessary ro clearly demonstrate that every citizen of Nigeria reserves the right to govern and be governed within the ambits of constitutional provisions irrespective of ethnic or religious inclination.

1 Like

Re: Okogie On 2015: Don’t Run, Jonathan, Don’t... by 1wolex85: 7:34am On Sep 22, 2013
I think gej has the right to contest and will contest, but is it for the greater good? I really don't know.

For those saying this man is talking nonsense and saying he is brain dead, remember the number of lives this man has turned around, remember how he has always spoken the truth even in the face of adversity, thank God he is from ND so u can't call him a bigot. You can disagree with him but don't insult him.

2 Likes

Re: Okogie On 2015: Don’t Run, Jonathan, Don’t... by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:37am On Sep 22, 2013
payless: The militants and creek boys are coming to insult Olubunmi Okogie. One of the most respected clergies we have in Nigeria.
No, Niger Deltans are not always against whomever that asks the President not to contest in 2015 but Igbo people.

2 Likes

Re: Okogie On 2015: Don’t Run, Jonathan, Don’t... by NextIG(m): 7:48am On Sep 22, 2013

My Dear Brother, may the good Lord continue to Bless you for always saying the Truth and standing by it. I've been following your posts and comments on NL, it is devoid of abuses and gutter language. May you live long.

3 Likes

Re: Okogie On 2015: Don’t Run, Jonathan, Don’t... by goldfish80(m): 7:49am On Sep 22, 2013
omo alaro: Now, compare this man of God to the other god of men who doubles as the head of the spiritual arm of the PDP. Is it not like comparing light and darkness?
Exactly,the Cardinal has nothing to gain from anybody,"he has no wife or kids to secure their future for" I believe would be quite objective.

As much as i like GEj to contest and win the polls,I as well think the country needs a peaceful and condusive environment to flourish. If Jonathan sacrificing his personal interest and conducts a free n fair elections would bring about such change, then so be it.

1 Like

Re: Okogie On 2015: Don’t Run, Jonathan, Don’t... by 1wolex85: 7:56am On Sep 22, 2013
wirinet:

I usually do not respond to paid hacks, as it is like arguing with a recorded video. Every thing is pre-recorded and they just spew out the messages without thought. but I will briefly comment here.

So you suggest GEJ should see his presidential ambition plunging this country into a civil war and go ahead just to show he is brave? Do you know how many millions of lives that would be lost in the course of a civil war ( including Ijaws and Igbos), not to talk of tens of millions that would be displaced. I am sure you will be the first to run into benin republic at the first sound of gun shots.

Now I am not saying jonathan should cower out and give into threats and intimidation, what I am saying is that he should use tact, diplomacy and negotiations to manage the situation. OBJ could also have caused crisis by holding unto power illegally by ramming the third term on us, but he used tact and wisdom to bow out while imposing an uninspiring Yaradua and an unambitious Jonathan on us.

To me the masterstroke would be for Jonathan to shelf his presidential ambition and impose an igbo president (maybe Okonjo Iweala), even if it is with a promise for a single term. That way he will checkmate the "born to rule" northerners and become a legend in the south( especially for the igbos).
Exactly my thoughts! I want gej to leave not because I necessarily want power to return to the north but because I don't think he's capable and he doesn't have the OVERWHELMING support of nigerians. Many pple may vote for him down south not because they have any confidence in him but because they don't want to see power return to the north, dats really a sorry state. I wud also prefer a capable candidate from the south, whether it is politically workable, I don't know

4 Likes

Re: Okogie On 2015: Don’t Run, Jonathan, Don’t... by planck(m): 8:02am On Sep 22, 2013
1wolex85:
Exactly my thoughts! I want gej to leave not because I necessarily want power to return to the north but because I don't think he's capable and he doesn't have the OVERWHELMING support of nigerians. Many pple may vote for him down south not because they have any confidence in him but because they don't want to see power return to the north, dats really a sorry state. I wud also prefer a capable candidate from the south, whether it is politically workable, I don't know
since when do disqualify voters before before the even get the mandate..is ten running?
Re: Okogie On 2015: Don’t Run, Jonathan, Don’t... by planck(m): 8:10am On Sep 22, 2013
duwdu: Dear Nairalanders;

The following was just sighted as the primary news item on the front page of The Guardian Newspapers of Lagos.

Enjoy.

Read the rest of the interview at:

Source: http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/national-news/133511--okogie-on-2015dont-run-jonathan-dont

P34c3
let's get this thing straigth..."is ten running for president come 2015?" let's stop fuzzing around...and I want to ask the if he doesn't want him to run?who should run then?
Nigerians act like dog...any that thinks he is our better candidate should get his ticket and convince Nigeria why he thinks he is better
Re: Okogie On 2015: Don’t Run, Jonathan, Don’t... by wirinet(m): 8:12am On Sep 22, 2013
goldfish80:
Exactly,the Cardinal has nothing to gain from anybody,"he has no wife or kids to secure their future for" I believe would be quite objective.

As much as i like GEj to contest and win the polls,I as well think the country needs a peaceful and condusive environment to flourish. If Jonathan sacrifising his personal interest and conducting a free n fair elections would bring about such change, then so be it.

That is what I am trying to tell these war mongers. I have never been a fan of GEJ, I find him un charismatic and unprepared for the post of president. He had no ideas on how be became vice president not to talk of president. He campaigned on change but so far had only succeded in maintaining the status quo. Having said that, it is his constitutional right to contest for a second term. His fate should be determined by the voters and not any cabal. The problem is in Nigeria, elections are merely a rubberstamp for the choice ofl the ruling cabal. Where indicted looters and murderers are elected from prison without campaigning. You can see the desperation in trying to stop GEJ at the primaries.

But I think GEJ should sacrifice his personal ambition for the peaceful coexistence of the country. If Hosni Mobarack, Gaddafi, Ben Ali and Assad had agreed to forgo their constitutional right and stepped down, their country would have the saved the trauma of civil conflicts that had destroyed them.

if GEJ wanted to rule the country because of the love he has for its people, sacrificing his ambition is not too much. After all after a civil war, there might not be a country to be the president of. My only demand is that he should not hand over to the northerners. That way they cannot claim victory.

2 Likes

Re: Okogie On 2015: Don’t Run, Jonathan, Don’t... by kokoA(m): 8:20am On Sep 22, 2013
Goddex: Jonathan will contest in 2015 and he will win. No one ethnic region owns Nigeria. Okojie is not a politician. If the killings is because a minority is president for the first time and again, if Nigeria will divide because of that, then maybe God destined it to happen that way and we will gladly welcome it.
Yes no one ethnic region owns Nigeria that is why Ijaws can not force GEJ on us. Nigerians are tired of his poor administration.

6 Likes

Re: Okogie On 2015: Don’t Run, Jonathan, Don’t... by abu12: 8:21am On Sep 22, 2013
Chie insincere 9geria don vex
Re: Okogie On 2015: Don’t Run, Jonathan, Don’t... by OrlandoOwoh(m): 8:27am On Sep 22, 2013
Ironically, Since 9gerian doesn't stop showing how insincere he is to Nigeria. It won't surprise me if he says Cardinal Julius Okogie is a member of APC.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is This True About Igbos.... I Have Been Lauging So Hard. / The Saying, “one Nigeria” Is Mere Balderdash. My Wife Murdered In My Presence. / 24 Hours Uninterrupted Power Supply And Counting!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.