Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,744 members, 7,875,859 topics. Date: Saturday, 29 June 2024 at 11:43 PM

Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles - Religion (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles (40274 Views)

"Stop Giving Offerings In Redeemed Churches If....." - Pastor Adeboye / Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church / Tithes And Offerings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Nobody: 6:47am On Oct 03, 2013
Joagbaje:

We are not tithing because the law says so. It existed before the law.
They don't read the scriptures with an open heart to hear what the Spirit is saying.They go to read scriptures with a preconceived notion to find loopholes in it.Atheist in this forum also do that all the time.

I already told them that tithing was not introduced under the law.It was merely regulated under the law.Tithing originated as an act of faith and faith transcend both old and new covenant. By faith is how we should tithe today not as an act of legalism but as an act of faith.

Abraham did not pay tithe by legalistic requirement because he lived before the law. Isaac and Jacob also lived before the law and paid tithes(Gen18:19,20;28:22).

They understood and operated God's covenant fully and that's why they were blessed beyond the curse and the curse of the causeless did not stand on them.

Satan is the god of this worldly systems and until his time is up,he is still in charge of the world economic systems.Christ has redeemed us from the curse yes but to keep ourselves free from the babylonic systems of this world we operate God's covenant of the patriarchs by faith.

The Abrahamic covenant is foundational to all of Scripture. It is the key to both the Old and New Testaments and is foundational to the whole program of redemption. All subsequent revelation is the outworking of this covenant. This covenant, and the subsequent covenant framework, is the key to understanding Scripture.

I will keep on saying this simple scriptural present day truth and realities until the devil of poverty,sickness and diseases leave the body of Christ.Amen

2 Likes

Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Joagbaje(m): 6:50am On Oct 03, 2013
Bidam: My bro..the tin tire me o.. grin someone is even condemning what God spoke to malachi forgetting that it's not only tithes that is spoken there..offerings was also spoken in the same breath..marriage was also spoken on..They forgot that ALL scriptures are inspired by God and is profitable for doctrine. if tithing is not a form of giving in God's kingdom i wonder what is grin .They also forget that God's kingdom is not the physical land of Israel BUT AN INVISIBLE ONE RULED BY CHRIST.God help us.

The scriptures ,both old and new testaments contain certain principles which transcend dispensations. What is done away is clearly written in scriptures .

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Joagbaje(m): 6:53am On Oct 03, 2013
Bidam: They don't read the scriptures with an open heart to hear what the Spirit is saying.They go to read scriptures with a preconceived notion to find loopholes in it.Atheist in this forum also do that all the time.
Criticism can be very sweet grin . If we are looking for loopholes ,we will find reason to criticize even GOD! . Why did he hate Esau? Why did he raise pharaoh for destruction just to reveal his power? Why did he kill innocent children . Etc etc.
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Candour(m): 7:00am On Oct 03, 2013
Joagbaje:

I have to open another thread for that.

Pls do. I'll oblige you my attention cheesy

I don't get you

Just a way of telling you that you saying a lot of people are still tithing doesn't make it a correct doctrine just like RCC being the biggest church in the world doesn't make it the right church or what do you think? wink

Tithes and offerings don't belong to the pastors. Pastors have their own jobs and businesses , and pastor give tithes and offerings like any other christian. Pastoring is only a responsibility .

I hear you. You think I'm as gullible as your sheep? Why can't the pastors be honest to give details of the financial transactions? Paul the apostle did it so why can't they display transparency like Paul.

2Cor 8:20-21
'Avoiding this, that no man should blame us in this abundance which is administered by us: 21.Providing for honest things, not only in the sight of the Lord, but also in the sight of men

If its to coax 10%, you know the power of example, but be transparent, you close your eyes to the example in bold.

Pastors... hmmmm.......
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Joagbaje(m): 7:21am On Oct 03, 2013
Candour:
Just a way of telling you that you saying a lot of people are still tithing doesn't make it a correct doctrine just like RCC being the biggest church in the world doesn't make it the right church or what do you think? wink

I agree that majority opinion doesn't mean right. But rcc is a church of christ.

I hear you. You think I'm as gullible as your sheep?

Don't be insultive or get personal with me. Or i will stop responding to you. Deal with the bible thanks

Why can't the pastors be honest to give details of the financial transactions?

It's not necessary , why should a pastor who works in a bank come and declare how much bank pays him . Is that the gospel he is called to preach? Even few pastors like oyedepo who told the church he stopped taking allowance or salary from church was he believed? Critics can't be satisfied.

Paul the apostle did it so why can't they display transparency like Paul.

How?

2 Likes

Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Candour(m): 7:50am On Oct 03, 2013
Joagbaje:

I agree that majority opinion doesn't mean right. But rcc is a church of christ.

Sure. Members of the body of Christ are there.

Don't be insultive or get personal with me. Or i will stop responding to you. Deal with the bible thanks

Pls stop playing victim. If you have no answer to my queries, say so. When you wrote what I quoted, were you trying to take me for a fool? How can you honestly say a pastor has no dealings with tithes and other monies collected in the church? Who are you fooling? I supervised a JAAC account when I worked in a bank. The governor was not a signatory but only a very slow or dishonest person will say the governor doesn't dictate all withdrawals from that account.

It's not necessary , why should a pastor who works in a bank come and declare how much bank pays him . Is that the gospel he is called to preach? Even few pastors like oyedepo who told the church he stopped taking allowance or salary from church was he believed? Critics can't be satisfied.

Why do you like standing truth in its head? The example of Paul I gave, was it about his salary or you want to pretend not to know its in relation to collections from Gentile Christians for poor Jerusalem Christians?

I was in Living faith for three years. Did cash pick up of LFC monies as a cash officer for 4 years, stop telling me all these stories pls. Reserve it for those who dont know.

How?

Are you still pretending not to know about Paul's example on transparency?
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by christemmbassey(m): 8:44am On Oct 03, 2013
Joagbaje:

Joagbaje, WHY ARE YOU LIKE THIS? Where and when did God commanded tithe b4 d law, Abraham gave(not paid) tithe by faith, impregnated(committed adultery) his house girl by faith, denied Sarah by faith, went to war by faith, offered Isaac(animal sacrifices by faith etc, the questiion is, why do u choose tithe, change it from once in a lifetime gift of war spoil to monthly/weekly covetousness of ppl income but totally neglect other faithfull activities of Abraham. As long as u don't teach people to commit adultery, sacrifice animal, tell lies, go to war, keep slaves etc but insist on duping ppl of their hard earned money, i'm sorry we will continue to see u inr light of what u do/are

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Joagbaje(m): 8:50am On Oct 03, 2013
Candour:

Pls stop playing victim.

Its about ethics , so Focus on the word of God. If you have no meaningful response. Hold thy peace .

If you have no answer to my queries, say so.

Getting personal is not a query .

When you wrote what I quoted, were you trying to take me for a fool? How can you honestly say a pastor has no dealings with tithes and other monies collected in the church? Who are you fooling? I supervised a JAAC account when I worked in a bank. The governor was not a signatory but only a very slow or dishonest person will say the governor doesn't dictate all withdrawals from that account.

You are the dishonest person here because your manipulating my words to say what I didn't say. I never said the pastor has no say in he church finance . I said church money doesn't belong to the pastor . He is a steward . If you want clarification ,humbly ask. The church money does not belong to a pastor. Before Cec ,Rcc, winners etc will send out a pastor, the must first have a good paying job. The pastor gives his tithes and offerings . Many young churches have most bills paid by the pastor such has equipment ,venue rent etc until such churches grow up to be vale to pay their bills . One of Cec biggest church in lagos is pastored by he highest paid black man in chevron. With all his millions, is he doing a job or service? He rather put his own money into ministry with all joy.

Every church has structure on how money is allocated. Based on the call of God on those ministry. TV ,ratio,Internet, prison, staff,church running cost ,helps, etc etc. the pastor of course must be signatory to church account but not the sole signatory. He is responsible to authority above him. And most churches have auditors who visit he branches to ensure things are done rightly. You said you worked in a bank . Is your bank manager he owner of the money there? Is there no admin structure ? Pls talk like a banker dude.

Why do you like standing truth in its head? The example of Paul I gave, was it about his salary or you want to pretend not to know its in relation to collections from Gentile Christians for poor Jerusalem Christians?

How will i know what youre talking about ? Are you afraid ? He talk about several financial matters, from what was given to him and what he Laboured for and from what was sent through him.

If you're talking about what was sent through him , that's like a church project . And churches acquaint those who give about what the money is used for. If money is given for building, it is used for building, if money is given for prison ministry ,or motherless baby home it is used for the purpose intended.

]Are you still pretending not to know about Paul's example on transparency?
If you have something to say or teach ,come out and stop hiding behind funny question. Which one is pretense ?

A pastor is not a sole signatory to church account, Before a church can even open an account bank will demand for the registration,and before a church is registered there must board of trustees .its not a one man show . All these are for checks and balances .

2 Likes

Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by christemmbassey(m): 9:12am On Oct 03, 2013
Joagbaje:

Its about ethics , so Focus on the word of God. If you have no meaningful response. Hold thy peace .

You are the dishonest person here because your manipulating my words to say what I didn't say. I never said the pastor has no say in he church finance . I said church money doesn't belong to the pastor . He is a steward . If you want clarification ,humbly ask. The church money does not belong to a pastor. Before Cec ,Rcc, winners etc will send out a pastor, the must first have a good paying job. The pastor gives his tithes and offerings . Many young churches have most bills paid by the pastor such has equipment ,venue rent etc until such churches grow up to be vale to pay their bills . One of Cec biggest church in lagos is pastored by he highest paid black man in chevron. With all his millions, is he doing a job or service? He rather put his own money into ministry with all joy.

Every church has structure on how money is allocated. Based on the call of God on those ministry. TV ,ratio,Internet, prison, staff,church running cost ,helps, etc etc. the pastor of course must be signatory to church account but not the sole signatory. He is responsible to authority above him. And most churches have auditors who visit he branches to ensure things are done rightly. You said you worked in a bank . Is your bank manager he owner of the money there? Is there no admin structure ? Pls talk like a banker dude.

How will i know what youre talking about ? Are you afraid ? He talk about several financial matters, from what was given to him and what he Laboured for and from what was sent through him.

If you're talking about what was sent through him , that's like a church project . And churches acquaint those who give about what the money is used for. If money is given for building, it is used for building, if money is given for prison ministry ,or motherless baby home it is used for the purpose intended.

If you have something to say or teach ,come out and stop hiding behind funny question. Which one is pretense ?

A pastor is not a sole signatory to church account, Before a church can even open an account bank will demand for the registration,and before a church is registered there must board of trustees .its not a one man show . All these are for checks and balances .

all what u are saying is d ideal situation and what supposed to happen, but u n i know dat, d reality on ground is very very far from what u're saying. That's my problem with pastors- ' ministerial ethics, a pastor commit sin/crime, u must cover up, why? Ministerial ethics, WHO DEY CHECK N BALLANCE PASTOR? You forget "touch not my anointed and do my prophet no harm", loophole! bro we too follow dey sm of dis churches u've mentioned, church money na pastor money, speak d truth n shame d devil.'

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Candour(m): 9:19am On Oct 03, 2013
Joagbaje:

And the word does not ask a Christian to pay tithes. Those who receive tithes are levites and you or any pastor are not one so why insist on it?

Telling you to stop evasiveness isn't getting personal. Its about transparency

You've always said a pastor has no dealings with Church finance so why the turnaround now? If you want or other pastors want to be honest, what stops you from laying all finances in the open so everybody can see it? Akingbola was an MD of a bank and a pastor in RCCG, did it stop him from stealing and financial recklessness? Your champion in Chevron can also dip his hands into the till if he doesn't move away from greed and covetousness. Cecilia Ibru too was an example of a Christian who gave with joy before Sanusi came so quit the stories. Having a good job is no guarantee of honesty, having contentment is.

Like I said, stop trying to be smart. He's not sole signatory u say. So who will challenge him? Or we should just assume him to be an angel that can't be tempted? I'm sure you didn't forget the case of a Guardian express bank manager who stole 10million naiea from his bank and gave to CEC in the early 2000s? Or the cashier in Sheraton who stole 37million and gave 20million also to CEC? A person in charge of finance has opportunity to steal if there is no determination to be transparent, a pastor is no different.

I'm thinking like a banker, that's why I can see through the charade because I witnessed it first hand.

Of course you won't know now. But you can draw up non existent possibilities of Abraham tithing more than once. Suddenly you dont know he was talking about collections for poor saints. Go back and read 2Cor 8 if you want to know.

And how do members know it was used for intended purpose if you don't tell them? And why shouldn't you tell them if you're a honest and transparent pastor? Paul said providing honest things not only in God's sight but also in the sight of men. Pastors should live by this creed.

Who chooses board of trustees? You actually make me laugh. Telle who chooses board of trustees? Abi they too are called by God?

I'm encouraging transparency and openness. Hope you get me now?

6 Likes

Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by christemmbassey(m): 9:40am On Oct 03, 2013
Candour:

And the word does not ask a Christian to pay tithes. Those who receive tithes are levites and you or any pastor are not one so why insist on it?

Telling you to stop evasiveness isn't getting personal. Its about transparency

You've always said a pastor has no dealings with Church finance so why the turnaround now? If you want or other pastors want to be honest, what stops you from laying all finances in the open so everybody can see it? Akingbola was an MD of a bank and a pastor in RCCG, did it stop him from stealing and financial recklessness? Your champion in Chevron can also dip his hands into the till if he doesn't move away from greed and covetousness. Cecilia Ibru too was an example of a Christian who gave with joy before Sanusi came so quit the stories. Having a good job is no guarantee of honesty, having contentment is.

Like I said, stop trying to be smart. He's not sole signatory u say. So who will challenge him? Or we should just assume him to be an angel that can't be tempted? I'm sure you didn't forget the case of a Guardian express bank manager who stole 10million naiea from his bank and gave to CEC in the early 2000s? Or the cashier in Sheraton who stole 37million and gave 20million also to CEC? A person in charge of finance has opportunity to steal if there is no determination to be transparent, a pastor is no different.

I'm thinking like a banker, that's why I can see through the charade because I witnessed it first hand.

Of course you won't know now. But you can draw up non existent possibilities of Abraham tithing more than once. Suddenly you dont know he was talking about collections for poor saints. Go back and read 2Cor 8 if you want to know.

And how do members know it was used for intended purpose if you don't tell them? And why shouldn't you tell them if you're a honest and transparent pastor? Paul said providing honest things not only in God's sight but also in the sight of men. Pastors should live by this creed.

Who chooses board of trustees? You actually make me laugh. Telle who chooses board of trustees? Abi they too are called by God?

Candour no finish our bros like this na, abi u no sabi say Joa na pastor? U r trying to brake ranks o, according to naija ministerial ethics, if pastor lie, steal, molest, do rituals or even kill, u must support him, don't comment, wait untill God speak to him/her. Bros if u follow these fraudsters u'd end up an atheist. Thumgs up mehn.
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Zikkyy(m): 9:55am On Oct 03, 2013
Joagbaje:

Speak for ya self. All the tithers i know tithe because of Malachi 3:8-10. in fact that's the only verse they know concerning tithe.
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Zikkyy(m): 10:00am On Oct 03, 2013
Joagbaje:
Tithes and offerings don't belong to the pastors. Pastors have their own jobs and businesses , and pastor give tithes and offerings like any other christian. Pastoring is only a responsibility .

Tithe don't belong to the pastor abi? tomorrow you will come here quoting 1 Corinthians 9:13-14 to show that pastors are entitled to chopulate tithe. I don't understand you tithe lovers o! Joagbaje, please make up ya mind na sad
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Joagbaje(m): 10:11am On Oct 03, 2013
Candour:
Was Melchizedek a levite?

You've always said a pastor has no dealings with Church finance so why the turnaround now?

Kindly quote where I said so

If you want or other pastors want to be honest, what stops you from laying all finances in the open so everybody can see it? Akingbola was an MD of a bank and a pastor in RCCG, did it stop him from stealing and financial recklessness? Your champion in Chevron can also dip his hands into the till if he doesn't move away from greed and covetousness. Cecilia Ibru too was an example of a Christian who gave with joy before Sanusi came so quit the stories. Having a good job is no guarantee of honesty, having contentment is.

Church records are open to auditors and the authorities to whom it may concern.

Like I said, stop trying to be smart. He's not sole signatory u say. So who will challenge him? Or we should just assume him to be an angel that can't be tempted?

Purify your defiled mind

Titus 1:15
Unto the pure all things are pure:but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled.

I'm sure you didn't forget the case of a Guardian express bank manager who stole 10million naiea from his bank and gave to CEC in the early 2000s? Or the cashier in Sheraton who stole 37million and gave 20million also to CEC? A person in charge of finance has opportunity to steal if there is no determination to be transparent, a pastor is no different.

That's a mans personal failing . Why not ask why Jesus didnt include his financial dealings in the "SERMON ON THE MOUNT" ?

Judas did thesame too. grin. . Giving is by trust.

Of course you won't know now. But you can draw up non existent possibilities of Abraham tithing more than once. Suddenly you dont know he was talking about collections for poor saints. Go back and read 2Cor 8 if you want to know

How many times did Jesus print financial statement before his disciples ? Or how many times did the high priest do thesame? Paul did what he did because of the church he was dealing with which has many people carnally minded . Like some bankers grin.

Giving is based on trust . And there are officials sent to churches to ensure things follow order. If you don't trust your church ,keep your money. Enough petty talk . Lets get back the topic.
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Gombs(m): 10:18am On Oct 03, 2013
^^
I tire o

Was Abraham paying tithe to a levite?

Isn't Jesus of same priesthood as Melchizedek?

Why you guys going round and round calling levites and Moses' law?

You don't wanna tithe and you won't leave those who will, or is it your money they use to tithe?
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Gombs(m): 10:21am On Oct 03, 2013
Kunle I see you grin
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Candour(m): 10:48am On Oct 03, 2013
Joagbaje:
Was Melchizedek a levite?

Just as I don't go to war hence can't tithe like Abraham. Abi you do go to war and come back with spoils?

Kindly quote where I said so

If you can't remember you said a pastor's office is different from that of an accountant and he is not a signatory to Church account, then the problem is bigger than I thought.

Church records are open to auditors and the authorities to whom it may concern.

Which auditors? Internal or external? Once again, whom do you think you're talking to? Your members?

If you want to be honest, what stops you from opening it up to members whether they demand it or not? Is that not what we ask of politicians through the code of conduct bureau? But then, the morals of plenty pastors even trail behind that of politicians.

Purify your mind

Titus 1:15
Unto the pure all things are pure:but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled.

Only that pastors are the impure ones in this case. Just like you probably expected the police to turn the other side when Rev King was bursted.

That's a mans personal failing . Why not ask why Jesus didnt include his financial dealings in the "SERMON ON THE MOUNT" ?

Because Jesus wasn't screaming tithes, building offerings, first fruit offerings, anointing offerings etc every now and then. Even when he asked the rich to sell what they have, he didn't ask them to see Judas, the treasurer.
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Joagbaje(m): 11:05am On Oct 03, 2013
Phew! Let me just indulge you one more time

Candour:
Just as I don't go to war hence can't tithe like Abraham. Abi you do go to war and come back with spoils?

The spoils of war was a gain to Abraham , he gave tithes of his booty and return the rest to the king.

If you can't remember you said a pastor's office is different from that of an accountant and he is not a signatory to Church account, then the problem is bigger than I thought.

Try little honesty.

Which auditors? Internal or external? Once again, whom do you think you're talking to? Your members?

I will overlook that.

If you want to be honest, what stops you from opening it up to members whether they demand it or not? Is that not what we ask of politicians through the code of conduct bureau? But then, the morals of plenty pastors even trail behind that of politicians.

I will overlook that too. Let me look for reasonable post to respond to

Only that pastors are the impure ones in this case. Just like you probably expected the police to turn the other side when Rev King was bursted.

I will throw that To dust bin , any sensible post here to comment on?

Because Jesus wasn't screaming tithes, building offerings, first fruit offerings, anointing offerings etc every now and then. Even when he asked the rich to sell what they have, he didn't ask them to see Judas, the treasurer.

Firstly Jesus taught on giving ,tithing,offerings , alms . Secondly Jesus collected money from people . Why did he not print out statement of account . Or at least tell the people what their money was used for. How much he spent to hire a boat, house ,almsgiving ,feeding etc, don't they have right to know what the master of the universe used the poor people money for cool.
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Zikkyy(m): 11:06am On Oct 03, 2013
Gombs:
Isn't Jesus of same priesthood as Melchizedek?

No he is not. The few similarities are actually due to perception. Christ cannot be functioning under the priesthood of a man.

2 Likes

Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Candour(m): 11:27am On Oct 03, 2013
Joagbaje: Phew! Let me just indulge you one more time [/quite]

Pls oblige me

[quite]The spoils of war was a gain to Abraham , he gave tithes of his booty and return the rest to the king.

And he treated it as such by giving 10% to the sovereign of the area. He didn't tithe from his farms or his flock. His is that difficult to decipher?

Try little honesty.

Says the man who has been flip flopping since he started the thread.

I will overlook that.

Why? Are u scared of confronting the truth? That you have frightened your members into docility with the 'touch not my anointed' mantra? Auditors indeed.

I will overlook that too. Let me look for reasonable post to respond to

Because you won't face the truth.

I will throw that To dust bin , any sensible post here to comment on?

grin cheesy cheesy

Sharp guy. I thought you were acting all prim and proper before?

Firstly Jesus taught on giving ,tithing,offerings , alms . Secondly Jesus collected money from people . Why did he not print out statement of account . Or at least tell the people what their money was used for. How much he spent to hire a boat, house ,almsgiving ,feeding etc, don't they have right to know what the master of the universe used the poor people money for cool.

And you or your G.O are in the same league and class with The Messiah abi? You're a Lord of the CEC universe abi?

Show where he asked anybody to donate to him? Show where he cajoled anybody to give him? Even Zaccheaus that was willing to give so much was not asked to give to Christ which he would have willingnly done. Who wouldn't want to give to the master? yet the Lord, because he's not a greedy money grabber like the ones we have today didn't take the advantage.

If na you Zacheaus said that to......hmmm.......the hammer for no be here o grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by christemmbassey(m): 11:31am On Oct 03, 2013
Zikkyy:

No he is not. The few similarities are actually due to perception. Christ cannot be functioning under the priesthood of a man.
may be we should do a teaching on this, sm ppl think Jesus is Melchizedeck or shares d same rank. God bless u bro.
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Goshen360(m): 11:51am On Oct 03, 2013
christemmbassey: may be we should do a teaching on this, sm ppl think Jesus is Melchizedeck or shares d same rank. God bless u bro.

Seconded!!! I'm actually hoping on this too. Infact, Image123 and 'some' hold that Christ is Melchizedek.
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Gombs(m): 11:53am On Oct 03, 2013
Zikkyy:

Let me school you a bit

It begins with a quick summary of the story in Genesis
14:
"This Melchizedek was king of Salem and priest of God Most High. He met Abraham returning from the defeat of the kings and blessed him, and Abraham gave him a tenth of everything" ( Heb. 7:1-2 ).

First, the unusual name is explained. The Hebrew word melek means king, and tsedek means righteousness, so his name is explained as meaning "king of righteousness."
And since shalom means peace, he was also the "king of peace" (v. 2).
These titles are significant because Melchizedek prefigures Jesus Christ. Then we are told that Melchizedek was "without father or mother, without genealogy, without beginning of days or end of life, like the Son of God he remains a priest forever" (v. 3).

However, Melchizedek had no parents that are mentioned in Scripture. His position as priest did not depend on his parents or his genealogy (unlike the Levitical priests). His priesthood was a different kind, a different order. Similarly, Scripture says nothing about his birth or death (unlike the patriarchs, who are carefully chronicled). He did not create a dynasty of priests, each dying and passing the priesthood to a son.

Now from the above we can see that the Levite's priesthood aint same as Melchizedek's. But the bible said he had no Parents..how then did you conclude he was a man? Bible also said he like the Son of God will be a priest forever! Hence making tithing a eternal principle.

To go further

We might say today that he came out of nowhere, and then disappeared. Nevertheless, he remains known as a priest even today. "He remains a priest forever ... is declared to be living" v 3 & 8. (A similar thought may be in Luke 20:37-38 —the patriarchs are among "the living."wink This mysterious Melchizedek is the prototype of Jesus Christ.

Psalm 110 predicted that the Lord would be a priest in the same way: not according to genealogy, but by special appointment. This order of priests was significant in several ways:

1) it was more important than the Levitical priesthood,
2) it implied that the Levitical priesthood was temporary and
3) the new order was permanent. Greater than Levi

Although little is known about Melchizedek, we can discern that he was very important. Abraham gave him 10 percent of the spoils of war (v. 4 of Heb 7). The old covenant required the Israelites to give 10 percent to the Levites, but Abraham gave 10 percent to Melchizedek even though Melchizedek was not a Levite (vs. 5-6).

Heb 7v5-6 AMP
5  And it is true that those descendants of Levi who are charged with the priestly office are commanded in the Law to take tithes from the people--which means, from their brethren--though these have descended from Abraham. 6  But this person (melchizedek) who has not their Levitical ancestry received tithes from Abraham [himself] and blessed him who possessed the promises [of God].

The man was getting priestly honors before Levi was even born.From this, I constructs a hypothetical argument: "One might even say that Levi, who collects the tenth, paid the tenth through Abraham, because when Melchizedek met Abraham, Levi was still in the body of his ancestor" (vs. 9-10).

We all know that Levi didn't actually pay tithes to Melchizedek, but in a figure of speech he did. The point is that Abraham is greater than Levi, since Abraham is Levi's ancestor, and Melchizedek is greater than Abraham, since Abraham paid tithes to him, so Melchizedek is greater than Levi.

Verses 6-7 emphasize Melchizedek's greatness: He not only received a tithe, he also blessed Abraham.

"And without doubt the lesser person is blessed by the greater." NIV

Abraham is the lesser person—but the real point of comparison being made is with Levi. Since Melchizedek is greater than Abraham, he is also greater than Levi, and—most important for the book of Hebrews—his priesthood is more important than the Levitical priesthood. The Levitical priests die, but Jesus has been made a priest forever after the order of Melchizedek, a priesthood that is more important for
our salvation.
Now let's see how a new priesthood implies a new law

Now I observe that "if perfection could have been attained through the Levitical priesthood (for on the basis of it the law was given to the people), why was there still need for another priest to come—one in the order of Melchizedek, not in the order of Aaron?" (v.11). I await your answer o!

Note in the middle of verse 11 that the law was given on the basis of the priesthood. The law was designed with the Levitical priesthood in mind—the law and the
priesthood went together. But neither the law nor the priests could bring people to perfection. That is why
Psalm 110 spoke of another priesthood.

The descendants of Aaron would be replaced by a better priesthood, a better priest—and that has enormous consequences:

"For when there is a change of the priesthood, there must also be a change of the law" (v. 12).

Q: What law was changed?
A: The law that said only
Levites could be priests.

Q: Which law said that?
A: The old
covenant.

Q: Do we follow the new Priest?
A: Yes

Q: of which order is he?
A: Melchizedek

Q: Did the order of Melchizedek receive tithe and blessed?
A: yes

Q: Why then do people say malachi 3v8 was written to the those under the levitical priesthood even tho the speaker talked about blessing u after u bring the tithes?
A:

Q: did levital priests bless the tithers?
A:

But first, let me make certain basic facts clear.

"He of whom these things are said belonged to a different tribe and no one from that tribe has ever served at the altar" (v. 13).

We are speaking about Jesus, of
whom it is said that he is a priest after the order of
Melchizedek—but Jesus was not a Levite. He belonged
to the tribe of Judah, and no one from that tribe was
ever a priest, and Moses did not authorize anyone from
Judah to be a priest (v. 14).

"And what we have said"—that is, that the law has been
changed—"is even more clear if another priest like
Melchizedek
appears, one who has become a priest not
on the basis of a regulation as to his ancestry but on the
basis of the power of an indestructible life" (vs. 15-16).

Jesus was appointed as priest not by a law that focused on genealogy, but because he lives forever at God's right hand. From this fact alone, we can see that the
Law of Moses is no longer in force (levitical priesthood and their law of tithing).

"The former regulation is set aside because it was weak
and useless (for the law made nothing perfect), and a
better hope is introduced, by which we draw near to
God" (vs. 18-19).

Why then Melchizedek? Why do we tithe in the faith of Abraham to Mechizedek?

Because his priesthood continues forever
Because Jesus is of same priesthood
Because Jesus and Melchizedek are priests with no genealogy
Because Melchizedek is not a levite whose priesthood were truncated
Because though Levi was from Abraham's loin folks still thought he paid to Mechizedek (Heb 7v9-10 AMP), hence reference was still made to Melchizedek, Why? Cos he has no roots, no genealogy, he was immortal

Don't come here and lie that he was a man!

3 Likes

Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Gombs(m): 11:55am On Oct 03, 2013
christemmbassey: may be we should do a teaching on this, sm ppl think Jesus is Melchizedeck or shares d same rank. God bless u bro.

Nobody said Jesus is same as Melchizedek

But Jesus is of SAME PRIESTHOOD as Melchizedek
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Goshen360(m): 12:00pm On Oct 03, 2013
Gombs:

Nobody said Jesus is same as Melchizedek

But Jesus is of SAME PRIESTHOOD as Melchizedek

Ask your brother, Image123
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Joagbaje(m): 12:05pm On Oct 03, 2013
Candour:

And he treated it as such by giving 10% to the sovereign of the area. He didn't tithe from his farms or his flock. His is that difficult to decipher?
Says the man who has been flip flopping since he started the thread.

Why? Are u scared of confronting the truth? That you have frightened your members into docility with the 'touch not my anointed' mantra? Auditors indeed.

Because you won't face the truth.
grin cheesy cheesy

Sharp guy. I thought you were acting all prim and proper before?
And you or your G.O are in the same league and class with The Messiah abi? You're a Lord of the CEC universe abi?

Show where he asked anybody to donate to him? Show where he cajoled anybody to give him? Even Zaccheaus that was willing to give so much was not asked to give to Christ which he would have willingnly done. Who wouldn't want to give to the master? yet the Lord, because he's not a greedy money grabber like the ones we have today didn't take the advantage.

If na you Zacheaus said that to......hmmm.......the hammer for no be here o grin cheesy

Stop getting personal . This is not about me . Deal with the scriptures. Since you chosen the part of foolish talking . I may not respond to you. Anymore.

2 Likes

Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by MostHigh: 12:06pm On Oct 03, 2013
Goshen360:

Seconded!!! I'm actually hoping on this too. Infact, Image123 and 'some' hold that Christ is Melchizedek.

Who else could he be?

Are they not both same high priests of the most high God?

Who else can occupy that office within the order

Its called inspiration. smiley
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Candour(m): 12:14pm On Oct 03, 2013
Joagbaje:

Stop getting personal . This is not about me . Deal with the scriptures. Since you chosen the part of foolish talking . I may not respond to you. Anymore.

Whether you respond or not makes little or no difference dear brother. Folks can read our discussions and sieve the truth from them.

Its not about being right or winning an argument, its about standing on the truth which you have obviously refused to face.

Cheers bro and it was nice talking to you
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Joagbaje(m): 12:52pm On Oct 03, 2013
MostHigh:

Who else could he be?

Well actually there are different schools of thoughts about this . Some see Melchizedek as one of the christophanies of the Old Testament .
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Gombs(m): 1:03pm On Oct 03, 2013
Joagbaje:

Well actually there are different schools of thoughts about this . Some see Melchizedek as one of the christophanies of the Old Testament .

Scripture does not say that Melchizedek was the Son of God—just that he was "like" the Son. Hebrews 1:1-2 implies that the Son of God did not at anytime speak to the patriarchs. He (God) spoke in time past to the people of old by the prophets (v1) (or by himself) and in the last days spoke to us by his Son (v2)

So it would be wrong for any sch of thought to believe Melchizedek was one of the christophanies of the Old Testament
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Goshen360(m): 1:07pm On Oct 03, 2013
MostHigh:

Who else could he be?

grin grin shocked shocked grin grin
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by chy22(m): 1:30pm On Oct 03, 2013
My final samon, don't worry I will not ask you for tithe.
not all that call me master will enter the kingdom and not all who call them selfess prophet of GOD do so with divine power of GOD.
Some times i wonder where the powers and on who's authority some of these Nigerian pastors do there work of GOD.
Not only did they forget how to teach the way of Jesus christ to the people of God, they have also made laws for them selfless against the will of God, they have also adapted foreign gods and things that the Lord our God has set his people free from in the new convenat, the convenat we made with the the lamb of God, Jesus christ.
Giving condition for God's blessing to his people,(money and name of church). No wonder they all own 2-4 private jets. the last time i checked my bible Jesus christ has made us all priests and sons of God most high, hence we can not be giving tithes to any body because we are priests ourselves, rather show love to your fellow man.
Beloved remember you have the right to question you leader in any christian gathering else you be lead to everlasting agony by a so called man of GOD, people think, read the bible your self don't wait for the super man the pastor to read and explain for you. cry cry cry cry I cry for christianity in Nigeria. Imagine what a pastors could saying tithe (money) is eternal principle, how did we get so bad, taking the name of God for a laugh stock, money is unclean and has no place in the house of GOD and God asks for noting from his priests not a single penny Jesus christ has paid the price all of it, I mean all of it. Next time you pastor tries to weigh your blessing with the amount of money you gave, say unto him I am a christian and Jesus our master has paid the price, ask the pastor if he is a Christian or is there something he is not telling the church members.
My you be blessed for accepting Jesus as your personal seviour because he has paid the price all of it. Amen.
If you still tithe it is obvious that you have not accepted Jesus christ, he paid the price for every bodies sins,blessings and happiness.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (34) (Reply)

Reasons Why You Must Not Go To Hell Fire / Cameroon's President Orders Pentecostal Churches Closed / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome Celebrates 51st Birthday On A Ship [photos]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 175
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.