Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,947 members, 7,879,924 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 09:33 AM

'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? (7046 Views)

Atheism And Terrorism; Annihilation in The Quest For Atheistic Domination / My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! / I Renounce Atheism And Agnosticism!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 7:11am On Sep 30, 2013
The problem with answering whether atheists are spiritual or not is that the term "spiritual" is so vague and ill-defined most of the time. Usually when people use it they mean something similar to, but nevertheless very distinct from, religion.

Though I am an atheist, I have been told by several religious believers that I am very spiritual—some even went so far as to state more spiritual than many religious believers they know.
I get taken to task by atheists who balk at my 'spirituality.’ I strongly regard the monopolizing of spirituality by theist especially christians to be a woeful situation. So what does this mean when it comes to whether atheists can be spiritual or not?

For some people, it involves a variety of very personal things like self-realization, philosophical searching, etc. For many others, it is something like a very deep and strong emotional reaction to "wonders" of life — for example, gazing out at the universe on a clear night, smell of the air, taste of wine, sound of good music, the beauty of the countryside, and the feel of a warm breeze.

Spirituality can be define as:

• The idea of a process or journey of self-discovery and of learning not only who you are, but who you want to be.

• The challenge of reaching beyond your current limits. This can include keeping an open mind, questioning current beliefs, or trying to better understand others' beliefs.

• A connectedness to yourself and to others. Spirituality is personal, but it is also rooted in being connected with others and with the world around you. This connection can facilitate you finding "your place in the world."

• Meaning, purpose, and direction. Spirituality, while it doesn't necessarily solve or reach conclusions, often embraces the concept of searching and moving forward in the direction of meaning, purpose, and direction for your life.
source

All of these and similar senses of "spirituality" are entirely compatible with atheism. There is nothing about atheism which prevents a person from have such experiences or quests. Indeed, for many atheists their atheism is a direct result of such philosophical searching and religious questioning — thus, one might argue that their atheism is an integral component of their "spirituality" and their ongoing search for meaning in life.

What is spirituality to you? Is it possible for you as an atheist to have a rich spiritual life?

4 Likes

Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by Nobody: 7:15am On Sep 30, 2013
Does spirituality involve having 'faith(belief in things not seen)'?

Would you define the feeling one gets from smoking cannabis as a sort of spiritual experience?
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by UyiIredia(m): 7:17am On Sep 30, 2013
Your points defining spirituality are on point. What is funny is how you are unwilling to apply skepticism to those beliefs in Ifa. Of course, your advocation that gun-protection charm worked goes to show that an atheist can actually have irrational beliefs. But maybe you should PM me your personal details. I since had it in mind to put this belief to the test, I busted the last chance I had with my gateman who failed to bring his protection charm for testing as promised.

1 Like

Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by UyiIredia(m): 7:19am On Sep 30, 2013
aManFromMars: Does spirituality involve having 'faith(belief in things not seen)'?

Would you define the feeling one gets from smoking cannabis as a sort of spiritual experience?

Yes, very spiritual. Even Jobs, if I recall right, acknowledged the role of LSD in trancedental experiences and creativity. Correct me if I'm wrong.

1 Like

Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 7:21am On Sep 30, 2013
aManFromMars: Does spirituality involve having 'faith(belief in things not seen)'?

Spirituality is simply connectedness to something you can perceive with your five senses and happens through your mind. Nothing like faith here.

Weed give some people inspiration. I have a friend who smile at one wrap no matter how bored a discussion is.

1 Like

Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by Nobody: 7:29am On Sep 30, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Yes, very spiritual. Even Jobs, if I recall right, acknowledged the role of LSD in trancedental experiences and creativity. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Let's include 0rgasms to the list then. grin

Yeah, I think I read something like that in his biography by Walter Isaacson. Most artistes also claim to be inspired by weed and other similar drugs.

It seems we are yet to get a proper definition for spirituality. For me, this would do: getting to know yourself, your limits, passion, etc...

By this definition, one man's spirituality would be his own personal experience...

TBC.

1 Like

Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by UyiIredia(m): 7:34am On Sep 30, 2013
Yes weed does inspire some persons. This I have confirmed from seeing people take weed and codeine and start behaving funny.

1 Like

Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 7:36am On Sep 30, 2013
Uyi Iredia: Your points defining spirituality are on point. What is funny is how you are unwilling to apply skepticism to those beliefs in Ifa. Of course, your advocation that gun-protection charm worked goes to show that an atheist can actually have irrational beliefs. But maybe you should PM me your personal details. I since had it in mind to put this belief to the test, I busted the last chance I had with my gateman who failed to bring his protection charm for testing as promised.

Buddha, tao and ifa are same thing to me. Ifa isn't about religion though I agree that religion has took over it. What people mostly see about it is that it is juju and sacrifice whatever. Words in Ifa are symbolic so those who are wrong about it got the wrong perspection.

Lol...absent of evidence isn't evidence of absence...you know? Concerning bullet proof charm.... I told you I have seen it happening but dont know how or whats behind it. If this charm produces some energy/force, it is possible to deflect or stop bullet. It is also possible to reduce it flying speed. I have made lot of research concerning that from science angle and I will be happy to share it with you.
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by Nobody: 7:37am On Sep 30, 2013
Uyi Iredia: Yes weed does inspire some persons. This I have confirmed from seeing people take weed and codeine and start behaving funny.

U just dey borrow people experience, no go do your own.. tongue

1 Like

Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by Nobody: 7:39am On Sep 30, 2013
FOLYKAZE:
Buddha, tao and ifa are same thing to me. Ifa isn't about religion though I agree that religion has took over it. What people mostly see about it is that it is juju and sacrifice whatever. Words in Ifa are symbolic so those who are wrong about it got the wrong perspection.

1. The quoted is why most atheists here have issues accepting you are an atheist. Your statement here mirrors Obadiah's views on Christianity.

2. Absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence neither is it evidence for anything whatsoever. Just fill in the gaps.
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 7:44am On Sep 30, 2013
aManFromMars:

1. The quoted is why most atheists here have issues accepting you are an atheist. Your statement here mirrors Obadiah's views on Christianity.

2. Absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence neither is it evidence for anything whatsoever. Just fill in the gaps.

1. I observed that most atheist on this forum look at things mostly from western view. This is us not them. Ifa means body of knowledge..... It not about worshipping or festive. Look beyond what you see.

2. Im not talking about juju with you. Im to be skeptical about it. Until mazaje proof it wrong, you can continue disbelieving in it. If proven right, you can lodge in your scientific knowledge on it

2 Likes

Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by Nobody: 7:46am On Sep 30, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

1. I observed that most atheist on this forum look at things mostly from western view. This is us not them. Ifa means body of knowledge..... It not about worshipping or festive. Look beyond what you see.

2. Im not talking about juju with you. Until mazaje proof it wrong, you can continue disbelieving in it

- I could make similar arguments for Christianity and Islam too.
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 7:48am On Sep 30, 2013
aManFromMars:

- I could make similar arguments for Christianity and Islam too.

show me one of Odu ifa that state that you should worship anything.
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by Nobody: 7:55am On Sep 30, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

show me one of Odu ifa that state that you should worship anything.

Go through this link: www.ifafoundation.org/the-ancestors-egun-egungun/
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 8:02am On Sep 30, 2013
aManFromMars:

Go through this link: www.ifafoundation.org/the-ancestors-egun-egungun/

lol... You indeed alien from mars. I wonder how you want to explain things you know nothing about.

Ifa is not Egungun.

Egungun is dead living ancestor.

Yoruba people believe everything in nature have consciousness.

They relate with ancestors spiritually isn't same thing as worshipping them.

In new world science, einstein theory of relativity handle the issue. This is the reason I said if your science knowledge is put into tradition, senses will come out.

Show me Odu Ifa that state you should worship.
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by Nobody: 8:07am On Sep 30, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

lol... You indeed alien from mars. I wonder how you want to explain things you know nothing about.

Ifa is not Egungun.

Egungun is dead living ancestor.

Yoruba people believe everything in nature have consciousness.

They relate with ancestors spiritually isn't same thing as worshipping them.

In new world science, einstein theory of relativity handle the issue. This is the reason I said if your science knowledge is put into tradition, senses will come out.

Show me Odu Ifa that state you should worship.

Ancestor worship is discussed in the link I posted, that was what you asked for earlier, abi u don smoke this morning?
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 8:09am On Sep 30, 2013
aManFromMars:

Ancestor worship is discussed in the link I posted, that was what you asked for earlier, abi u don smoke this morning?

Is that ifa?
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by Nobody: 8:10am On Sep 30, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

Is that ifa?

Is the Holy Spirit God?
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by UyiIredia(m): 8:10am On Sep 30, 2013
im smoke wetin pass obadiah. Umm, FOLYKAZE, christians also 'relate' with God.

Dammit just admit you are worshipping ya dead ancestors tongue
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 8:14am On Sep 30, 2013
Uyi Iredia: im smoke wetin pass obadiah. Umm, FOLYKAZE, christians also 'relate' with God.

Dammit just admit you are worshipping ya dead ancestors tongue

lol...

Show me shrine of Eledumare or where people worship Eledumare. This guys sha.

Egungun is not Ifa. Egungun is more like halloween here.

Im discussing about Ifa not Egungun
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 8:16am On Sep 30, 2013
aManFromMars:

Is the Holy Spirit God?

Nothing like holy spirit in yoruba spirituality. Im asking of ifa...provide an Odu that state you should worship anything. This guy doesn't know ifa or Odu. Just writting out of ignorance
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by Nobody: 8:18am On Sep 30, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

Nothing like holy spirit in yoruba spirituality. Im asking of ifa...provide an Odu that state you should worship anything. This guy doesn't know ifa or Odu. Just writting out of ignorance

Indeed, just like those who claim we are ignorant about Christianity.. And you wonder why no one accepts you are an atheist?

Discarding Christian and Islamic beliefs doesn't make one an atheist... undecided

What are the priests in Ifa for? The sacrifices and initiations na get-together abi?

1 Like

Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by Nobody: 8:21am On Sep 30, 2013
Just realized 0rgasms in my first reply to Uyi was modified to 'heavenly feelings'.. This Nl filter though undecided

2 Likes

Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by UyiIredia(m): 8:26am On Sep 30, 2013
aManFromMars:

Indeed, just like those who claim we are ignorant about Christianity.. And you wonder why no one accepts you are an atheist?

Discarding Christian and Islamic beliefs doesn't make one an atheist... undecided

What are the priests in Ifa for? The sacrifices and initiations na get-together abi?

Abeg, he is an atheist. FOLYKAZE makes it clear he doesn't believe in God. Actually, he isn't the only atheist with beliefs like this. I have chanced an atheist who believed in New Age stuff, meditation crystals (?) and all.
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by Nobody: 8:27am On Sep 30, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Abeg, he is an atheist. FOLYKAZE makes it clear he doesn't believe in God. Actually, he isn't the only atheist with beliefs like this. I have chanced an atheist who believed in New Age stuff, meditation crystals (?) and all.

I'm not contending that. The label doesn't make a man, does it?
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 8:27am On Sep 30, 2013
aManFromMars:

Now you cant show me the Odu huh?

I wonder why you are making claim on things you lack knowledge of. I dont have time typing this morning.

Do yourself reading this link http://ileifa.org/ifa-an-african-spiritual-tradition/ and http://ileifa.org/obatala-ifa-and-the-chief-of-the-spirit-of-the-white-cloth/ . It explain initiation and others you asking

1 Like

Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by UyiIredia(m): 8:28am On Sep 30, 2013
aManFromMars: Just realized 0rgasms in my first reply to Uyi was modified to 'heavenly feelings'.. This Nl filter though undecided

Yeah bugs ain't it ? And sure õrgasms are very spiritual.
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by UyiIredia(m): 8:30am On Sep 30, 2013
aManFromMars:

I'm not contending that. The label doesn't make a man, does it?

If the label don't make a man why the need for labels ? Of tribe, name and surnames, theories and beliefs, feelings or political stance etc. Think about it whilst you imply that men transcend labels.
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by Infomizer(m): 8:33am On Sep 30, 2013
I think atheism denotes the absence of belief in a god. Abi? If, going by your definitons of spirituality, it does not require the belief in a god, then one can easily illify that they are compatible. However, I would have had more respect for the post if you had cited a recognized dictionary coz I sense sentiments in the provided definitions.
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by bolaino(m): 8:33am On Sep 30, 2013
This boy folykaze will not kill me with laughter, he wrote the op well ooo, atleast it was comprehensible and made sense, but as usual as he started replying your posts, he went into his manic yoruba native doctor mode, lol, I love nairaland I love all nairaland atheists, and shout out to all the cannabis smokers in the house, ONE LOVE, @uyi iredia, bros try smoke weed once, u no go regret am, e be like heaven. Lol
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by Nobody: 8:34am On Sep 30, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

If the label don't make a man why the need for labels ? Of tribe, name and surnames, theories and beliefs, feelings or political stance etc. Think about it whilst you imply that men transcend labels.
Men do transcend labels. Labels are just to give a sense of uniformity. They rarely achieve that purpose, no two men were born to think alike.

That being said, quick test.

@Folykaze: do you believe in a creator/god? Why is Ifa so important to you?
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by UyiIredia(m): 8:39am On Sep 30, 2013
bolaino: This boy folykaze will not kill me with laughter, he wrote the op well ooo, atleast it was comprehensible and made sense, but as usual as he started replying your posts, he went into his manic yoruba native doctor mode, lol, I love nairaland I love all nairaland atheists, and shout out to all the cannabis smokers in the house, ONE LOVE, @uyi iredia, bros try smoke weed once, u no go regret am, e be like heaven. Lol

U don smoke am ? As for me and my house, we don't do weed. Not a teetotaller but I rarely drink alcohol and never smoked. But I'll admit the way some dudes, Wiz Khalifa in particular, smoke weed makes it look cool.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

What You Learnt In Church Today ? / The Ethiopian Bible- World's Oldest Bible [pictures] / Why Do Christians Lie That God Doesnt Condone Killing And Accept Human Sacrifice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.