Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,578 members, 7,905,215 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 July 2024 at 08:25 AM

Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? (6672 Views)

The Eastern Oilfieds They Don't Want You To See. / Northern Nigeria The Only Region Practicing & Benefiting From Fiscal Federalism / A Political Thread For "Old" Eastern Region (south East And South South) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by Seastone(f): 2:51pm On Jun 27, 2008
Why is the eastern region the only region whitout an International airport? 

Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by noetic(m): 2:58pm On Jun 27, 2008
dats a jamb ??
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by otokx(m): 3:00pm On Jun 27, 2008
Enugu has an Airport and so does Owerri so what is this dude talking about?
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by noetic(m): 3:03pm On Jun 27, 2008
otokx:

Enugu has an Airport and so does Owerri so what is this dude talking about?
no mind am . . . . . . another tribalistic . . . . . , . . .
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by grafikdon: 3:27pm On Jun 27, 2008
The poster probably meant 'International Airport' undecided
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by ow11(m): 5:12pm On Jun 27, 2008
grafikdon:

The poster probably meant 'International Airport' undecided

It isn't the only one

The North-east hasn't got either.

@poster
So what's your point. Nigeria should have 6 International airports because some people want airports close to their houses! The 4 'International airports' were built for good reasons where they are. You can't certainly argue for Lagos & Abuja. Kano is debatable but still has some good points and PHC, probably because of oil companies.

The south east has airports in Owerri and Enugu as pointed out by otokx.
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by realFXpips(m): 5:36pm On Jun 27, 2008
Could Seastone have meant an International Airport? Don't we have airports in Enugu, Calabar, Port Harcourt and Owerri? Can you clarify please?

Cheers!
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by Ijiji1(m): 5:40pm On Jun 27, 2008
*Another stupid thread*
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by grafikdon: 5:45pm On Jun 27, 2008
ow11:

It isn't the only one

Kindly direct that to someone else. I simply pointed out the poster probably meant 'International Airport' considering the airports in Owerri and Enugu, my post did not concur nor disagree with the poster.
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by TayoD1(m): 5:45pm On Jun 27, 2008
@ow11,

The next to ask for an international Airport will be the North-West, then North-Central, then North-east Central, then South-east, and south-south etc, Where does it stop?  If you need Airport, go build one. I just hope you have enough traffic to keep the staffs paid.
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by buchio7(m): 8:48pm On Jun 27, 2008
even if he meant "international airport" must every tribe have an airport dat flies international routes? d next thing we would need airports for every clan,
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by ow11(m): 11:33pm On Jun 27, 2008
grafikdon:

Kindly direct that to someone else. I simply pointed out the poster probably meant 'International Airport' considering the airports in Owerri and Enugu, my post did not concur nor disagree with the poster.

Fine

Tayo-D:

@ow11,
The next to ask for an international Airport will be the North-West, then North-Central, then North-east Central, then South-east, and south-south etc, Where does it stop? If you need Airport, go build one. I just hope you have enough traffic to keep the staffs paid.

read the 2nd paragraph of my post
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by Nobody: 4:31am On Jun 29, 2008
the east does not have an international airport cause u guys are Monkeys!
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by dblock(m): 4:36am On Jun 29, 2008
Port Harcourt International Airport

Port Harcourt International Airport (IATA: PHC, ICAO: DNPO) is located in Port Harcourt, a city in the Rivers State of Nigeria. It is the main airport serving southeastern Nigeria. The airport consists of a single terminal with separate facilities for international and domestic flights. In 2004, the airport served 781,046 passengers.

On August 18, 2006, the airport was closed for repairs. The Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority stated that the emergency shutdown was in order to overhaul the runway and build a fence around the facility. Such maintenance had been in planning stages for several months, but an electrical fire on August 17, 2006 made repairs immediately necessary. All domestic flights will be diverted to Imo Airport and Margaret Ekpo International Airport while international flights will be diverted to Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja or Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Lagos. Repair work started in January 2007, while re-opening is expected in August 2007. In June 2007 work was suspended due to safety concerns of the engineers. In December 2007, the airport was reopened to a limited capacity. Operations are currently restricted to daytime until the first quarter of 2008, by which time the new CAT III lighting system would be fully operational.

Airlines and destinations

The following airlines operated services at the airport (May 2008):

International

* Air France (Paris-Charles de Gaulle)
* Bellview Airlines (Douala, Libreville)

Domestic

* Aero Contractors (Abuja, Lagos)
* Arik Air (Lagos, Abuja)
* Bellview Airlines (Lagos)
* Chanchangi Airlines (Lagos)
* Virgin Nigeria (Lagos, Abuja)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Harcourt_International_Airport
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by romeo(m): 2:59pm On Jul 02, 2008
well Akanu Ibiam Airport Enugu has been upgraded to International Airport, then waiting for the money to do the real upgrading.

The likes of owl abi na wetin de him name cheesy, can not see anything good in having international airport in enugu or southeast. But i know where he's coming from, na today?

[b]
Nigeria: Ekweremadu Hails FG for Upgrading Enugu Airport

Leadership (Abuja)

16 November 2007
Posted to the web 16 November 2007

Moses John
Abuja

Deputy president of the Senate, Ike Ekweremadu, has applauded the federal government for its decision to upgrade the Akanu Ibiam Airport in Enugu to an international airport.

A statement issued by the office of the minister of transportation, Diezani Alison-Madueke, said President Umaru Musa Yar'Adua had given approval for the transformation of the airport to an international one.

A statement signed by the special adviser (media) to the deputy president of the Senate, Mr. Paul Odenyi, quotes him as saying that the approval was in fulfilment of an earlier promise made by the president to the South-East caucus of the Senate, which met with him at the State House, Abuja. The caucus, at the meeting, had enumerated key developmental needs of the zone, including the lack of an international airport in the area.

He explained that the government's decision has helped to remedy obvious lopsidedness in terms of the location of major airports in the country. Before now, each zone, except the South-East, had one or more international airports.

Ekweremadu said: "For me, from the South-East, it is a fulfilment of the hope and desire of the people. Prior to this time, we had international airports across the country but there was none in the South-East, but following representation by the people of the South-East over the years, we the elected representatives, especially the senators, sometime in July, met with the president and presented the request to him. He expressed regret that the Enugu Airport was not an international airport, and so, following that, we formally requested through a letter that the Enugu Airport be made an international airport.

"I want to use this opportunity to express my gratitude to the president and all my colleagues in the Senate for taking the bold steps that have now been approved by the president, and, as I speak to you now, I believe that all the people from the South-East all over the world have come to rejoice because, henceforth, our people will stop passing through Lagos, Abuja and other international airports to reach our place.

"The president had stated that it will be done in three years, but I hope that the people of the South-East, especially the government of Enugu State, will work in partnership with the federal government to ensure that this is achieved in a year or two. I look forward to the day when our people will join the rest of the country to have equal access to the facilities and infrastructure, especially when it comes to transportation, because we are a mobile people.

"The Enugu international airport will provide landing not only for the people of the state but for others in the region, the South-South and the North-central zones. It will be easier for people from Benue, Kogi, Akwa Ibom, Cross River and Delta States to land in Enugu than to travel all the way from Lagos or Abuja".[/b]

http://allafrica.com/stories/200711160260.html
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by romeo(m): 3:09pm On Jul 02, 2008
Nigeria: FG Begins Upgrade of Enugu Airport

This Day (Lagos)

This Day (Lagos)

15 June 2008
Posted to the web 16 June 2008

Francis Ugwoke
Enugu

Federal Government has awarded contract for the rehabilitation of Akanu Ibiam Airport, Enugu, in keeping with the promise by President Musa Yar'adua to upgrade the airport to an international status.

It would be recalled that Yar'Adua had late last year approved the upgrading of airport following complaints by the people of the South East that it was only the zone that had no international airport.

The contract for the renovation of the old terminal, which was built in 1976 was awarded to Ausoby International Limited, an indigenous company.

Already, the company has started the rehabilitation work with furnishing of some sections of the airport, particularly the protocol and executive lounges.

Minister of State, Air Transport, Mr. Felix Hyat, while inspecting the work so far done at the airport yesterday said that the Federal government was committed to keeping its words as far as the airport was concerned.

Hyat said that contracts have also been awarded for the construction of some buildings as part of the upgrade of the existing facilities at the airport.

Assuring that more jobs would commence once funds were available, the Minister expressed dismay over the decay at the nation's airports, but said that the problem was gradually being tackled.

He said that modern facilities would be provided to phase out decades of old facilities for improved performance.

He commended the contractor handling the Enugu airport for so far keeping to the realisation of government's dream of changing the situation at the airport.

According to the Minister, "I was unhappy seeing some of the equipment which I am told are as old as the airport itself that have never been changed, but after inspecting different parastatals and departments in the airport, I was told that some facilities are being put on ground to improve the situation and this confirms that we have a new management with focus,".

Hyat told the airport workers not to be discouraged as a result of the obsolete facilities at the airport, adding that in a matter of time all airports in the country would wear a new lease of life in terms of facilities and improved conditions of service for workers.

He added, "There is now hope because the President has declared this airport as an international airport and by that declaration, knowing the president we have right now, he does not talk with the mouth only, he talks with action, and that is why we have contractors on site. And I am sure that facilities will start coming up and I am aware that we have budgetary provisions to make sure that this place joins the league of airports that are considered to have improved".

The Airport Manager, Engr. Chigbo Nwobu, who conducted the minister round the airport facilities, said that the airport has continued to witness increased flights because of the improvement in passenger movement.

Nwobu also said the airport handles about eight aircraft movement daily to Lagos and Abuja in addition to other non-scheduled operators to various destinations in in the country.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200806160987.html
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by Eziachi: 5:06pm On Jul 02, 2008
Some brainy northerner has answered you that North East has no Int airport. Where was North East during indepedence? What does North East bring to the table at the end of each months to the national coffer? How many north Easterner has ever seen a plane let alone using it? South East don't have Int Airport despite cities like Onitsha, Aba and Nnewi just because they are not in Nigeria.

Those that count Owerri as an airpot should pay Imo people a rebate for buiding it and for it to be turned into an airfield where plane don't land after 7.00pm because it has no night facilities. As for Enugu, the same condition it were when Michael Okpara build it. In fact it sign post read E- - g u airport because even the signpost has fallen apart. That is one Nigeria in action.
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by ow11(m): 12:39pm On Jul 09, 2008
@romeo

WE NEED INT'L AIRPORTS IN EVERY GEO ZONE AND STATE CAPITAL. INFACT, AIRPORTS SHOULD BE BUILT IN EVERY MAJOR TOWN IN NIGERIA! cheesy
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by faoni572(m): 4:27pm On Jul 09, 2008
international airport should be built in all local governments in nigeria
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by Eziachi: 6:28pm On Jul 09, 2008
I didn't realise this topic was meant to be for a commedy audition. When you put politics apart, tribalism apart and then still thinks that cities like Nnewi-Aba-Onitsha axis where millions of dollars worth of businesses are conducted everyday is not worth an international airport, then there is something seriously wrong with Nigeria. I believe that an international airport build within this axis will cut daily lost of lives and huge sum of money on the Onitsha-Asaba-Benin-Ore road in the hands of robbers against business people making their way to Lagos just to catch a plane to Taiwan, Singapore and other destinations?

I wonder how many people from Ogun-Oyo-Osun-Lagos-Ekitti etc would have felt comfortable coming down to Owerri or Calabar to catch a flight to London or New York? How many northerns will be happy to come down to Port Harcourt to catch their flight to Mecca?

My people says that in a strange world, most people on seeing the dead corpse of another man's child, tend to pretend that it's just a bunch of firewood, not until it becomes theirs, they will notice the difference. In a country where politics is played on amenities that will bring progress, new jobs and less stress in life, that nation has no chance in hell.
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by iseobio(m): 8:16pm On Jul 09, 2008
the issue is not about having an international airport in enugu or not. The pertinent question is, will the nigerian governemnt allow parallel flights from this enugu airport (assuming it is international) to all destinations in the world as currently operated from lagos, abuja, PH and kano? Enugu may become an international airport with little or no flights or may be flights only from african countries. this is thesame situatiion calabar airport is in. it was given international airport status because of EPZ but I tell you it only has flights from african countries. no flights from outside africa. I think there is a great injustice in the first place considering the population of nigeria. i always get so frustrated when travelling from Lagos Airport because of the crowd. Anytime anm travelling it is a nightmare. EWvery zone should haave an international airport and more where there are a lot of business activities going on.

I think what Enugu requires is not only international status but should be made to handle cargo as well like Kano.
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by ifyalways(f): 8:29pm On Jul 09, 2008
ow11:

@romeo

WE NEED INT'L AIRPORTS IN EVERY GEO ZONE AND STATE CAPITAL. INFACT, AIRPORTS SHOULD BE BUILT IN EVERY MAJOR TOWN IN NIGERIA! cheesy

otondo cheesy
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by romeo(m): 10:30pm On Jul 09, 2008
ow11:

@romeo

Por que no te vayas a tomar por el culo mal criado aqueroso!! cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by DisGuy: 11:58pm On Jul 09, 2008
iseobio:

the issue is not about having an international airport in enugu or not. The pertinent question is, will the nigerian governemnt allow parallel flights from this enugu airport (assuming it is international) to all destinations in the world as currently operated from lagos, abuja, PH and kano? Enugu may become an international airport with little or no flights or may be flights only from african countries. this is thesame situatiion calabar airport is in. it was given international airport status because of EPZ but I tell you it only has flights from african countries. no flights from outside africa. I think there is a great injustice in the first place considering the population of nigeria. i always get so frustrated when travelling from Lagos Airport because of the crowd. Anytime anm travelling it is a nightmare. EWvery zone should haave an international airport and more where there are a lot of business activities going on.

I think what Enugu requires is not only international status but should be made to handle cargo as well like Kano.

i think you people should ask proper questions, do you really think its the FG that choose the number of flights or what sort of flight goes to a particular place?

and lets be honest not all business need nternational airports, very soon maiduguri will be asking for one becos they trade alot of cows!!!!
we have some upto 22 airport with only 4 commercially viable at the moment, we should upgrade those that have the potential so when traffic grows they can easily be converted to international status when the time comes

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200807091581182

1 Like

Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by davidif: 8:59am On Jul 11, 2008
if you want an international airport, first of all issue bonds to upgrade your airports ( i am not even about to go through the topic of bond financing). Also, develop your region, when the standard of living of the average man gets better and then more people can travel abroad rather than some select rich few.
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by romeo(m): 11:53am On Jul 11, 2008
davidif:

if you want an international airport, first of all issue bonds to upgrade your airports ( i am not even about to go through the topic of bond financing). Also, develop your region, when the standard of living of the average man gets better and then more people can travel abroad rather than some select rich few.

Which region did you develop? Is that jungle called Lagos developed? ROFLMAO!!!
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by davidif: 1:28pm On Jul 11, 2008
My friend who was talking about Lagos here? didn't you read my comments?
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by ow11(m): 10:38pm On Jul 12, 2008
@davidif

Romeo is a known sufferer of ADHD. Please Bear with him.

@ify

Kiss my A**

@romeo

off the record. . How do u rate Ibiza as a holiday destination?
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by Zhea(f): 10:44pm On Jul 12, 2008
@out of record
ibiza is wonderfull but quiet expensive for holiday ;-) will i get more ikwerre names?
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by romeo(m): 1:03pm On Jul 13, 2008
ow11:

@davidif

Romeo is a known sufferer of ADHD. Please Bear with him.

Fucking chameleon cheesy

ow11:

@romeo

off the record. . How do u rate Ibiza as a holiday destination?

Ibiza is for teenagers and drug abusers!! If you want to visit Spain come to my city, Palma de Mallorca.
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by ifyalways(f): 7:45pm On Jul 13, 2008
ow11:

@ify

Kiss my A**

Aturu Ijebu,feel free to hug the nearest transformer for your ends cheesy
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by ow11(m): 12:33pm On Jul 14, 2008
ifyalways:

Aturu Ijebu,feel free to hug the nearest transformer for your ends cheesy

As you have decided to use your fingers to type when you have nothing intelligent to write. I won't be wrong if I suggest that you GO F**K YOURSELF!!!. At least, they would be put to better use that way! grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2nd Niger Bridge: Former Works Minister Disgraces Oshiomhole With Pix Evidence / Buhari & Nigeria Have Exactly 11 & 13 Mths Left respectively / I Now Realize Buhari Is Worse Than Jonathan – Falana Cries Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.