Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,052 members, 7,970,256 topics. Date: Wednesday, 09 October 2024 at 02:18 AM

Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? (6779 Views)

The Eastern Oilfieds They Don't Want You To See. / Northern Nigeria The Only Region Practicing & Benefiting From Fiscal Federalism / A Political Thread For "Old" Eastern Region (south East And South South) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by ifyalways(f): 9:17pm On Jul 14, 2008
ow11:

As you have decided to use your fingers to type when you have nothing intelligent to write. I won't be wrong if I suggest that you GO F**K YOURSELF!!!. At least, they would be put to better use that way! grin
Are you a sex manaic?why must all your replies be A** AND f****? BTW whats intelligent in what you have just written?
whatever,go fry sand chop cheesy
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by debosky(m): 9:28pm On Jul 14, 2008
Is there really a need for an international airport in the 'East'? I don't think so - If a nearby airport like Port Harcourt is not that busy, what would make an international airport in Enugu or Owerri viable?

I think what would benefit the cities of Nnewi, Onitsha and Aba (especially Aba) would be a rail line from Port-Harcourt Airport to these locations - allowing prompt movement of freight and passengers to and from the airport, or in the interim, connecting flights originating at Enugu or Owerri, transferring to another aircraft in P/H and then leaving the country.

We have wasted too much resources on airports that are not commercially viable. Let sentiments be removed from this - convenience is important, but economic viability should come first. Even with the proximity of Owerri and co to the industrial heartland of the East, little cargo traffic is experienced through that airport, even as a form of domestic transit from major airports like Abuja and Lagos.
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by ow11(m): 12:53pm On Jul 15, 2008
@debosky

Your post should finally end this thread.

@ify

It wasn't meant to be intelligent because you obviously lack the capacity to understand one. A simple satire was too much for your mucous filled, pseudo- human brain to handle. Belligerent Twerp!!!
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by romeo(m): 4:46pm On Jul 15, 2008
debosky:

Is there really a need for an international airport in the 'East'? I don't think so - If a nearby airport like Port Harcourt is not that busy, what would make an international airport in Enugu or Owerri viable?

Yes there is a need!! It's insane driving 7-9 hours from lagos to east after a long journey from abroad. You are talking about Port Harcout? wetin dat name mean sef!!, How is the government trying to make that airport commercially viable? Just neglected like every other thing down south east-south south. Even MM is like a piece of shit!!
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by MCUsman(m): 4:57pm On Jul 15, 2008
You folks do not need even a local airport. When 70% of the population feel thier ass should be somewhere else.
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by romeo(m): 4:58pm On Jul 15, 2008
ewu awusa cheesy
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by MCUsman(m): 5:06pm On Jul 15, 2008
romeo:

ewu awusa cheesy

Iyanmuri grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by romeo(m): 5:11pm On Jul 15, 2008
cattle herder!! wink bunch of illiterates following cow up and down grin grin
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by MCUsman(m): 6:38pm On Jul 15, 2008
romeo:

cattle herder!! wink bunch of illiterates following cow up and down grin grin

armed robber, vampires invetor of human rituals (okija shrine) tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by MCUsman(m): 6:42pm On Jul 15, 2008
Suck your vampirious dick. Banza Iyanmuri

Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by romeo(m): 8:44pm On Jul 15, 2008
MC Usman:

armed robber, vampires invetor of human rituals (okija shrine) tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue

I said it before!! bunch of illiterates grin grin grin
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by Queenisha: 8:49pm On Jul 15, 2008
did mallam [b]usu[/b]man have to display his privates on nairaland.
See what happens when women decide to copulate with their pet nama and have children
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by romeo(m): 8:52pm On Jul 15, 2008
Queenisha:

See what happens when women decide to copulate with their pet nama and have children

hahahahahhahaa LoL!! NA REAL [b]USU[/b]man cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by Uche2nna(m): 8:55pm On Jul 15, 2008
Queenisha:

Thats the funniest play on words I have heard in a long while. Very appropriate grin grin grin grin grin

@ topic

I think I would have to go with debo on this.

And moreover, an having an international airport is the least problem the Eastern region is encountering now. One big problem I have always kept a close tab on is the River Niger bridge. 3 yrs ago that bridge was full of tremors. I just heard that they passed the bill for renovation lipsrsealed
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by Esss(m): 9:08pm On Jul 15, 2008
Abeg let face this issue fairly.

Port-Harcourt airport, is not an international airport. It has nothing that qualifies it to be an international airport. Infact, no international flight takes off from port-harcourt.

Enugu, does not even qualify to be called a parking lot let alone an airport.

Owerri!! Chineke nna, ekene dili ghi. I will never forget my experience at that aerodrome that is being called an airport. The damn place does not even have landing aids.

Why is lagos the only city with an almost fully funtional international airport?? Even MMA2 is an international airport when compared to everything you have in the east and south put togerther.
Why should people have to travel all the way from the east to the west to board a flight abroad??
Port-harcourt airport was closed for almost, if not more than a year and they did not even change a single tile on the ground. Abeg lets call a spade a spade.

The south/east has no airport, period.
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by Uche2nna(m): 9:15pm On Jul 15, 2008
So what is your argument.

That th PH airport should be upgraded to make it look like an international airport or that an eniterly new airport should be built in one of the eastern states?

I would be happy if a new airport is built but my point is that it would not really disrupt anything if it is not. There are other alternatives. Imagine what would happen if the Niger bridge shuts down.
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by Esss(m): 9:23pm On Jul 15, 2008
Uche2nna:

So what is your argument.

That th PH airport should be upgraded to make it look like an international airport or that an eniterly new airport should be built in one of the eastern states?

I will start with port-harcourt, A totally new airport should be built from scratch, International standard just like that of lagos if not even better. Afterall with all the money being generated by the state it is only fair that they have an airport of real international standard.

Ask for the east, I will base my arguement on Anambra state. I have travelled to so many countries, from europe to asia to even west african states. I will be honest that I am yet to board an International flight that does not have atleast 5 onitsha market traders returning with goods and merchandise purchased from their travels. It is only fair that the have not just an international airport but also a seaport.
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by Uche2nna(m): 9:28pm On Jul 15, 2008
Esss:

I will start with port-harcourt, A totally new airport should be built from scratch, International standard just like that of lagos if not even better. Afterall with all the money being generated by the state it is only fair that they have an airport of real international standard.

I totally agree with that.

Esss:

Ask for the east, I will base my arguement on Anambra state. I have travelled to so many countries, from europe to asia to even west african states. I will be honest that I am yet to board an International flight that does not have atleast 5 onitsha market traders returning with goods and merchandise purchased from their travels. It is only fair that the have not just an international airport but also a seaport.

If the PH airport was made to be truly international , would it not make building a new one in Anambra kind of redundant. At least for now.

I am from Anambra state but if I was made to choose between an International airport and a port, I would gladly choose a port. That would save a lot of trouble and expense for the importers. In most business settings, the cost of transporting oneself from one location to another is insignificant compared to the cost of transporting goods.
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by Esss(m): 9:33pm On Jul 15, 2008
Uche2nna:

If the PH airport was made to be truly international , would it not building a new on ein Anambra kind of redundant. At least for now.

But you cant argue with a sea port.
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by Uche2nna(m): 9:42pm On Jul 15, 2008
Esss:

But you can't argue with a sea port.

Dont think so.

But I always ask myself if the River Niger can be dredged out to serve as a landing port. I have no idea.
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by Esss(m): 9:44pm On Jul 15, 2008
Uche2nna:

Dont think so.

But I always ask myself if the River Niger can be dredged out to serve as a landing port. I have no idea.

Hells yeah it can be done. But I doubt if the government would do it since even port-harcourt port barely sees any action at all.
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by mariab: 9:54pm On Jul 15, 2008
why is it that women always do the house work? cry

1 Like

Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by Esss(m): 10:05pm On Jul 15, 2008
mariab:

why is it that women always do the house work? cry

For your first post on nairaland, you just totally blew it. grin grin grin

Please read the Nairaland user manual newbie. Meanwhile welcome to Nairaland, where naija meets to displays our kolo nature to the whole world. grin
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by Nobody: 10:49pm On Jul 15, 2008
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport?
« #36 on: Today at 04:57:25 PM »

You folks do not need even a local airport. When 70% of the population feel their ass should be somewhere else.
now you see why those north folks always marginalise the easterners ( and the southerners at large).then they threw Gambari at us and expected we were dumb fellows ehn? undecided
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by DisGuy: 5:15am On Jul 16, 2008
what role does the local governors/senators play in all these? seems they enjoy flying to Lagos or Abuja before they travel
or they don't even live in these regions anyway so they cant be bothered, shouting marginalisation is not enough!
you have representatives don't you? what did Odili,(Nnamani, Orji Kalu) do apart from playing footsie with the previous government?

the way SE senators and reps throw themselves about I wonder if they've ever been/lived the region they claim to represent undecided
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by ow11(m): 1:35pm On Jul 16, 2008
I still believe debosky's post is the way forward. Would planes coming in from China and landing in Enugu solve any problem or just pacify some people who believe everything should be equal not minding whether it makes any sense economically.

A rail link from PH to all the major towns like Nnewi, Aba, Onitsha etc should be built and these goods will get to their destination anyways and save the government money. This money can be used for other projects in the SE like repairing those horrible roads!
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by ifyalways(f): 8:37pm On Jul 16, 2008
@Owl,am done with you.you can keep on ranting.Intelligent my ass.am bored,leave me be.
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by Radiant(f): 12:22am On Jul 17, 2008
Esss:

Enugu, does not even qualify to be called a parking lot let alone an airport.

Rofl grin

Upgrade Enugu airport? If you have to "upgrade" Enugu airport then what d'u do to Lagos? Even Abuja airport isn't worth to be an Int'l airport and you tell me about Enugu? grin

The Govt needs to upgrade their brain cells more like.
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by ow11(m): 1:13pm On Jul 17, 2008
ifyalways:

leave me be.

Epiphany!!!
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by slimes(m): 8:32am On Sep 28, 2009
Very nice question. Yes, there are airports in Enugu and Owerri bt take a look at their facilities. Are they up to standard?. Hell no. There is also a similar neglect in Kogi state.
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by DisGuy: 8:42am On Sep 28, 2009
Akwa Ibom International Airport is coming up

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Money/5463102-147/story.csp
http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=155535

why do they all add 'international' to their titles?
Re: Why Is The Eastern Region The Only Region Without An Airport? by Nchara: 5:04pm On Sep 28, 2009
Owl and Debosky,

You darn ignorant or plain michievious folks. There is already a rail (moribund) link between PH, Aba, Umuahia and Enugu. How is the rail system in Nigeria? Is it working?

Imo people (then Imo and Abia) built the first ever state Airport in Nigeria. The money came not from oil, but from taxes paid by our parents.

Now every state including Gombe is building an Airport, using oil money from the ND (which includes two Igbo states)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Was Ekwueme Sent To Prison While The President Was On House Arrest. / Peter Obi’s All Igbo SAN Lawyers At The Election Tribunal / Governor Fashola And The Lekki Toll Road Scam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.