Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,968 members, 7,873,108 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 08:07 AM

A Thread For Catholics - Religion (38) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Thread For Catholics (522896 Views)

Mary's Command For Catholics / Message Of God For Catholics And Jehovah Witnesses- Sister Linda Testimony / For Catholics: Who Is Your Favorite Saint? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) ... (505) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 2:48pm On Nov 26, 2013
italo:

Nne, I no carry umbrella but I just dey change position from society to society.

It was fun proclaiming Christ in the streets of Lagos.

smiley
SPLENDID!!!
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 2:51pm On Nov 26, 2013
Babestell please say hi
Re: A Thread For Catholics by woky: 2:54pm On Nov 26, 2013
Sal C: Babestell please say hi
she only peep and go without sayin Hi.. I dy always catch ha
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 2:55pm On Nov 26, 2013
Rich4god: Am so so happy with the way this thread is moving... I wish every1 a wonderful day. @mumsi, is like some1 is willing to help you on the welcoming thing... You knw, Maria-goretti. So its you call to share the mantle with her probably as assistant secretary. *Italo, na true say u follow carry umbrella on sunday*
THUS SAYS MY SON!
Re: A Thread For Catholics by woky: 2:57pm On Nov 26, 2013
Sal C: THUS SAYS MY SON!
my grandson u mean grin
Re: A Thread For Catholics by woky: 2:59pm On Nov 26, 2013
grin grin

i jst dy view Dammery with 5D camera
Re: A Thread For Catholics by babestell(f): 3:07pm On Nov 26, 2013
woky: viewing Babestell
Sal C: From behind?
lipsrsealed

hi guys,

welcome to all newbies, this is a lovely thread to follow especially if you wanna grow in the Faith and make new friends. we are not perfect but we serve a perfect God and in Him we have trust,

so question for the house, what do u guys think about gambling. I know the church preaches moderation but when u see people losing money at the table even if it's their hard earned cash, I feel like isnt there more nible things they could have done with the cash.

I think the answer to the dedication queston is that the last things to be blessed are the walls in 4 places.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by damerry(m): 3:10pm On Nov 26, 2013
woky: grin grin

i jst dy view Dammery with 5D camera
Thought as much, i knew u would. smiley All thanks to God, this thread is firing with all barrels. Please it's hightime we made deposit of Faith. Someone should teach us something new. Let me blaze the way.
whats is Solemnity, Feast and Memorial all about?
it's anyone call to answer, I'll give my own answer after evening mass. Stay merry till den smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 3:12pm On Nov 26, 2013
woky: sneeze*

sneeze*

sneeze*

who and who dy us my name do amebor here??

Make una take time o
Anyone with co-trimoxazole here? woky has catarrh.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 3:38pm On Nov 26, 2013
damerry: Thought as much, i knew u would. smiley All thanks to God, this thread is firing with all barrels. Please it's hightime we made deposit of Faith. Someone should teach us something new. Let me blaze the way.
it's anyone call to answer, I'll give my own answer after evening mass. Stay merry till den smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 3:39pm On Nov 26, 2013
damerry: Thought as much, i knew u would. smiley All thanks to God, this thread is firing with all barrels. Please it's hightime we made deposit of Faith. Someone should teach us something new. Let me blaze the way.
By solemnity or solemnities we mean celebration of events, beliefs and personages of greatest importance and universal significance in the history of salvation.

Feasts are of lesser signifance in salvation history when compared to solemnities but more significant than the memorials.

Memorials are rememrance of the least important in salvation history when compared to solemnities and feasts. Those memorials that are important only to a local country, church or religious commumity are called optional memorials.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by woky: 3:57pm On Nov 26, 2013
Sal C: Anyone with co-trimoxazole here? woky has catarrh.
Lol

why not use Septrin instead of Co-trimaxazole?? U think say na every body knw medcin the way u knw??
Re: A Thread For Catholics by woky: 3:58pm On Nov 26, 2013
Sal C: Anyone with co-trimoxazole here? woky has catarrh.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 4:26pm On Nov 26, 2013
babestell:

lipsrsealed

hi guys,

welcome to all newbies, this is a lovely thread to follow especially if you wanna grow in the Faith and make new friends. we are not perfect but we serve a perfect God and in Him we have trust,

so question for the house, what do u guys think about gambling. I know the church preaches moderation but when u see people losing money at the table even if it's their hard earned cash, I feel like isnt there more nible things they could have done with the cash.

I think the answer to the dedication queston is that the last things to be blessed are the walls in 4 places.

I dont think the Church considers gambling a sin, but it considers compulsive gambling a sin.

As usual, the guiding principle is that anything you allow to addict you has enslaved you.

It is almost the same with eating and gluttony; drinking and drunkenness.

Come to think of it, we all gamble one way or the other. Buying shares too is like gambling. The prices can skyrocket or they can crumble.

Just never let yourself so addicted till you start to gamble at the expense of your welfare or that of your family.

That would be the sin.

Good afternoon, all.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by POPEII: 4:28pm On Nov 26, 2013
babestell:

lipsrsealed

hi guys,

I don't see the purpose of it , I don't like it because most of the times gambling breaks households and it is so random.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by POPEII: 4:30pm On Nov 26, 2013
Woky , you should teach me how to view and peep from behind grin
Hola italo and babestell ,hope you are doing good.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Boomark(m): 4:51pm On Nov 26, 2013
Erm...Demerry invited me. I believe my lovely brothers and beautiful sisters will welcome me and make my stay here comfortable....

while i get ready some atomic missile
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 4:51pm On Nov 26, 2013
Adesua veronica: SAL C greetings o.................... ur name seem to be everywhere
My mumsi name suppose full everywhere na... As Secretary of State to this great thread, she ought to be representing.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 4:54pm On Nov 26, 2013
woky: my grandson u mean grin
Is like you seeking for ex-communication. Wait make my mumsi catch you.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by jnrbayano(m): 5:29pm On Nov 26, 2013
woky: hmmm i jst dy imagin hw dancin alanta in fastforward mode wil look lyk grin
U guys are cracking me up here big time.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 5:58pm On Nov 26, 2013
Boomark: Erm...Demerry invited me. I believe my lovely brothers and beautiful sisters will welcome me and make my stay here comfortable....

bros i no trust youoo
Re: A Thread For Catholics by woky: 6:04pm On Nov 26, 2013
Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 6:06pm On Nov 26, 2013
POPE II: Woky , you should teach me how to view and peep from behind grin
Hola italo and babestell ,hope you are doing good.

Yes..bro...what abt u?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by woky: 6:14pm On Nov 26, 2013
solemnity is the richest ranking feast day in the liturgical calendar of the Roman rite, therefor it can be define as a state of being solemn

Feast are days which ar celebreted in commemoration of sacred mysteries and event.

Memorial can be said as a 'monument' that honors or commemorates people or event of the past.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 7:34pm On Nov 26, 2013
Mzflexydeeva: SAL C greetings o.................... ur name seem to be everywhere
My dear I don't know what I did to them. But wait oo are you Veronica? Am confused oo.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 7:50pm On Nov 26, 2013
woky: Lol

why not use Septrin instead of Co-trimaxazole?? U think say na every body knw medcin the way u knw??
No mind me jare. Evidence of drinking too much water.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 7:59pm On Nov 26, 2013
Guys should PM Mr Aladin... Dont knw whats keeping him out of this thread/nairaland.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by damerry(m): 7:59pm On Nov 26, 2013
Boomark: Erm...Demerry invited me. I believe my lovely brothers and beautiful sisters will welcome me and make my stay here comfortable....

Taaah, brethren this fellow has nothing to contribute. Please IGNORE

+ i did not invite him o
Re: A Thread For Catholics by damerry(m): 8:06pm On Nov 26, 2013
Happy Feast day of
Saint John Berchmans

Feastday:November 26
Patron of Altar Servers
1599 - 1621

Eldest son of a shoemaker, John was born at Diest, Brabant. He early wanted to be a priest, and when thirteen became a servant in the household of one of the Cathedralcanons at Malines, JohnFroymont. In 1615, he entered the newly founded Jesuit Collegeat Malines, and the following year became a Jesuit novice. He was sent to Romein 1618 to continue his studies, and was known for his diligence and piety, impressing all with his holiness and stress on perfection in little things. He died there on August 13. Many miracles were attributed to him after his death, and he was canonized in 1888. He is the patron of altar boys. His feast day is November 26.

Once an Altar servant, always an Altar servant, grin Saint John Berchmans, pray 4 us

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by woky: 8:16pm On Nov 26, 2013
Sal C: No mind me jare. Evidence of drinking too much water.
likita
Re: A Thread For Catholics by woky: 8:18pm On Nov 26, 2013
viewin PoPE
Re: A Thread For Catholics by damerry(m): 8:22pm On Nov 26, 2013
Thanks 4 your contributions @ sal c and woky, in addition..........

All about Solemnities, Feast and Memorials.

Solemnities are the highest degree and are usually reserved for the most important mysteries of faith. These include Easter, Pentecost and the Immaculate Conception; the principal titles of Our Lord, such as King and Sacred Heart; and celebrations that honor some saints of particular importance in salvation history, such as Sts. Peter and Paul, and St. John the Baptist on his day of birth.
Solemnities have the same basic elements as a Sunday: three readings, prayer of the faithful, the Creed and the Gloria which is recited even when the solemnity occurs during Advent or Lent. It also has proper prayer formulas exclusive to the day: entrance antiphon, opening prayer, prayer over the gifts, Communion antiphon, and prayer after Communion. In most cases it also has a particular preface.
Some solemnities are also holy days of obligation, but these vary from country to country.
A solemnity is celebrated if it falls on a Sunday of ordinary time or Christmastide. But it is usually transferred to the following Monday if it falls on a Sunday of Advent, Lent or Easter, or during Holy Week or the Easter octave.

A feast honors a mystery or title of the Lord, of Our Lady, or of saints of particular importance (such as the apostles and Evangelists) and some of historical importance such as the deacon St. Lawrence.
The feast usually has some proper prayers but has only two readings plus the Gloria. Feasts of the Lord, such as the Transfiguration and Exaltation of the Holy Cross, unlike other feasts, are celebrated when they fall on a Sunday. On such occasions they have three readings, the Gloria and the Creed.

A memorial is usually of saints but may also celebrate some aspect of the Lord or of Mary. Examples include the optional memorial of the Holy Name of Jesus or the obligatory memorial of the Immaculate Heart of Mary.
From the point of view of the liturgical elements there is no difference between the optional and obligatory memorial. The memorial has at least a proper opening prayer and may have proper readings suitable for the saint being celebrated. The readings of the day may be used, and the lectionary recommends against an excessive use of specific readings for the saints so as not to interrupt too much the continuous cycle of daily readings.
On the other hand, the specific readings should always be used for certain saints, above all those specifically mentioned in the readings themselves, such as Martha, Mary Magdalene and Barnabas.
During Lent and Advent from Dec. 17 to 24 memorials may be celebrated only as commemorations. That is, only the opening prayer of the saint is used and all the rest comes from the day.
Nov. 2, All Souls' Day, is something of a special class that, without being a solemnity, still has precedence over a Sunday.
It is also important to note that the same celebration may have a different classification in various geographical areas, as some celebrations and saints are venerated more in one place than in another. For example, St. Benedict, an obligatory memorial in the universal calendar, is a feast in Europe since he is one of its patrons. But he rates a solemnity in the diocese and abbey of Montecassino where he is buried.
Finally, the decision on whether a solemnity such as the Body and Blood of the Lord is a holy day of obligation falls primarily upon the bishops' conference, which decides based on the pastoral reality of each country. Some have maintained the traditional Thursday celebration and kept it as a holy day; others might have maintained the day but without the obligation. Many have preferred to transfer the celebration to the following Sunday so as to ensure its celebration with the greatest number of faithful.
The Vatican, for example, continues the traditional Thursday celebration and thus the Holy Father's procession with the Blessed Sacrament is held on that day. The Diocese of Rome, however, along with the rest of Italy, celebrates it on the following Sunday.
thanks to
www.ewtn.com/library/liturgy/zlitur240.htm

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) ... (505) (Reply)

'How T.B. Joshua Took My Wife' – Pastor Peter Kayode Tells It All / The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) / Members Of Church Of Satan Meets Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.