Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,992 members, 7,873,201 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 09:51 AM

Are Websites Meant To Be Hidden? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Are Websites Meant To Be Hidden? (694 Views)

This Topic Is Meant For Upcoming Webdesigners To Advertise There Websites Here. / Dhtmlframework Is Meant To Deploy Plugins Across Cmses / Please Comment On This Website - skeletal form, not meant to be a fresh post (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Are Websites Meant To Be Hidden? by Afam(m): 5:16pm On Jun 28, 2008
By the very nature of the web it is clear that websites are designed or developed with the intention to provide or display information to people on the web. That means anyone connected to the internet would be able to access the websites unless some form of user authentication is required.

However, it is not what people do on the websites that I am talking about now, it is about the very existence of such websites.

In Nigeria today, no doubt the quality of websites (including those developed by myself) could be better. This is a bitter fact.

I also believe that we have a lot of young talented Nigerians that could become change agents in this regard and these people can come up with very functional and stunning websites if only they can take time to understand what works and what doesn't work on the web and of course if they can take time to learn what they don't know especially in an environment where people want to get rich fast.

My worry is this, there are quite a lot of web designers in Nigeria that claim to be experts in web design, others claim to have developed complex dynamic websites while others believe that they know all about web development and they do not hesitate to point out issues with the works of others (that is when they are not insulting or abusing other developers).

So, my question is this - Where are these websites these people have designed or developed? Are they on the web? If yes, where, if no why claim that they have done so?

Granted, some websites (like financial institutions and security agencies) would not want the information about the developer displayed on their websites for various reasons. I have developed websites where I charged for them not to have my "powered by justwebservices" displayed at the footer area.

Assuming some of us believe they need not display their works on a public forum at least we read newspapers, we are on the web and somehow the owners of these fantastic websites would one way or the other advertise them for the world to see.

But what we still have out there are majority of not too good websites and/or badly setup ones so WHERE ARE THOSE WEBSITES SOME OF US CLAIM TO HAVE DEVELOPED HIDDING?

Websites are not meant to be hidden and a lot of Nigerians really need to see the fantastic websites out there unless these websites exist in our subconscious minds and in dreams.

Even the bible told us that you cannot put a lit lantern under the bed, you usually put it on top of the table not so?
Re: Are Websites Meant To Be Hidden? by yawatide(f): 1:01pm On Jun 29, 2008
So, my question is this - Where are these websites these people have designed or developed? Are they on the web? If yes, where, if no why claim that they have done so?

At the risk of sounding sarcastic or like a smart aleck, those websites are out there in cyberspace and all you have to do if you really want, is google for them. You use the right words and you will find them. Nothing is hidden in cyberspace. Yes, worse case it will be on page 50 of the search results but it is there for any to find.

Granted, some websites (like financial institutions and security agencies) would not want the information about the developer displayed on their websites for various reasons. I have developed websites where I charged for them not to have my "powered by justwebservices" displayed at the footer area.

And I am sure some others have done same.

I for one choose (my prerogative) not to share my info publicly. That however doesn't mean that if you were to know the right keywords to enter into google for example, you couldn't find out anything abt me. I however invite people (and some people have done so) who are curious to contact me directly if they so wish. I also give such pple the condition that they not share it publicly. Whereby they do and I find out, I will stop such a practice. I am personally not the type to blow my trumpet. I am not into the "do you know who i am?" or "do you know what kind of sites I have developed" mind set. It's just me. I am sure I have lost and/or stand to lose from my attitude but if so, hey, I guess that is my lot in life.

(1) (Reply)

The Bengallery It Resource Centre / Enjoy Bengallery It Forum / Webmaster Resources, you'll fall in love with it

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.