Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,903 members, 7,938,708 topics. Date: Tuesday, 03 September 2024 at 11:24 AM

Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America - Travel (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America (81124 Views)

How To Make It As A Nigerian In America In 2014 / Ask Any Questions About China, Taiwan , Hongkong Etc / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by takin35(m): 10:11pm On Oct 17, 2013
Pls what about Netherlands. Can someone get a good jobs there?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by vislabraye(m): 10:12pm On Oct 17, 2013
takin35: Please I finished from technical school and I studied mechanical engineering and I have worked as an operator in Nigerian Breweries plc in the Packaging department section for 5 years pls if I have visa to USA can it be possible for me to see a better job that will give me good money?

That's the wisest question to ask. Nigerian Breweries pay a lot. If I am you, I would be hesitant to leave that plum job for the unknown.
Get your employment letter first before anything.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by justwise(m): 10:13pm On Oct 17, 2013
@frank1230

Don't even go there.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Empiree: 10:18pm On Oct 17, 2013
Y
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 10:23pm On Oct 17, 2013
Every Nigerian on Nairaland living in the US seems to be six figure high earning professionals, bunch of liars grin

3 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 10:29pm On Oct 17, 2013
Pls @op which country is okay for me.(I'm stil a teenager)to study in their university IN SOUTH AFRICA OR SPAIN.. How hard is their admission n how much did you tink their amount may be... (Have tried many times to google it buh stil don't get a pleased result from google. Thanks @op n pls abeg reply me.... @op na me be that o.. I stil small o

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 10:32pm On Oct 17, 2013
One of my lecturer said his modem is bad when I told him all he need do is send an eReference,the other said he hates email,imagine a Doctor in EEE smh.

Anyway I'm ranting na frustration[/quote] bros I feel ur pain but ASUU no go let us graduate sef...I regret not going to Ghana for my Bsc.

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 10:37pm On Oct 17, 2013
auschris:
No wahala. We(male nurses) are used to the stereotyping.
I guess I'll just wait and hope that the retrogression improves. Any plan that does not include my family is a 'no no'

Please Babyosisi, what's your candid advice to a single male Nurse who wishes to live and work in the US. What's the possible easiest route and can something be achieved on a visitors' visa. Thanks for your insightful contributions here.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Pacesetter2: 10:40pm On Oct 17, 2013
Op...thanks for shedding light. I am a learning student(law) planning to come to us for masters and also do some practise but i know nothing about living there and their tution and what is needed.
Thanks
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 10:44pm On Oct 17, 2013
ozo_emeka: Disregard that trump of "why theatre arts"

NY is a THRIVING ground for those in theatre arts. There are successful Nigerians in the arts that RESIDE in NY.

PRIOR to coming to the US look up Schools and their requirements. Get in touch with them and make sure you are accepted to a school. Doing so automatically qualifies you for a student visa.

Juilliard is an excellent art school
Art Institute of NY
Columbia
CUNY
SUNY Oneonta

be prepared BEFORE you come here.

These schools are damn expensive. With that kinna of tuition fee from an average class Nigerian,I advise that person to stay back and start something in Naija
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by manny4life(m): 10:56pm On Oct 17, 2013
25omega: i work in the tech field in Virginia. So what is the issue?

Where in VA?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by manny4life(m): 11:02pm On Oct 17, 2013
Babyosisi flogged @ozo_emeka badly, grin grin grin

It was the same guy who told a poster on his thread not to come for his Masters in IT because he need flashy clothes, flashy phones, go out to the club... I laugh tire, me sef no wan talk too much.

My own take on the issue, if you want to come, come prepared. Yes you will achieve what you want, BUT America isn't bed of roses. For education, grants and scholarships aren't the way they used to be, with current budgetary cuts, education is being defunded and that means less money for federal grants in the future. Please do not rely on friends and family for help, they're the GREATEST DISAPPOINTMENT and it's not because they don't wanna help you, fact is ego adiro (no money) grin.

2 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 11:27pm On Oct 17, 2013
manny4life: Babyosisi flogged @ozo_emeka badly, grin grin grin

It was the same guy who told a poster on his thread not to come for his Masters in IT because he need flashy clothes, flashy phones, go out to the club... I laugh tire, me sef no wan talk too much.

My own take on the issue, if you want to come, come prepared. Yes you will achieve what you want, BUT America isn't bed of roses. For education, grants and scholarships aren't the way they used to be, with current budgetary cuts, education is being defunded and that means less money for federal grants in the future. Please do not rely on friends and family for help, they're the GREATEST DISAPPOINTMENT and it's not because they don't wanna help you, fact is ego adiro (no money) grin.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by dayokanu(m): 11:30pm On Oct 17, 2013
femmyb: Ok if most Nigerians in the US have ego adiro(no money) who are these folks on Nairaland with their so called six figure salaries.

Have you thought of it that those who make these money also have responsibilities

Student loans, Car notes, Mortgages, Kids School fees, Credit card bills, etc

Basically they dont have money sitting around to help families but just for themselves to survive and live their dream life

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by manny4life(m): 11:35pm On Oct 17, 2013
dayokanu:

Have you thought of it that those who make these money also have responsibilities

Student loans, Car notes, Mortgages, Kids School fees, Credit card bills, etc

Basically they dont have money sitting around to help families but just for themselves to survive and live their dream life

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you.

Most six figure earners do not have money saved up on somewhere, some have their money tied up in their asset, some have liabilities and the funny system here is: the more you earn, the more you're likely to pay more. So no, there's no money tied up somewhere, MOST people live from check to check, it's hard for people to save, it takes GREAT FINANCIAL DISCIPLINE to save.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 11:38pm On Oct 17, 2013
manny4life:

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you.

Most six figure earners do not have money saved up on somewhere, some have their money tied up in their asset, some have liabilities and the funny system here is: the more you earn, the more you're likely to pay more. So no, there's no money tied up somewhere, MOST people live from check to check, it's hard for people to save, it takes GREAT FINANCIAL DISCIPLINE to save.

Also, most savings accounts here do not generate any significant interest (barely $20 over the course of a year).
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by nwanjilove(m): 11:39pm On Oct 17, 2013
Please this is my first time to ask a question and I need a honest answer. I studied Geology in School and will like to further my education in USA. Do you think I will be able to get a good job while schooling and what kind of job will I get over there? If you have an idea please share as I am thinking of studying GIS. Thanks for your help.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by elohorayodele: 11:42pm On Oct 17, 2013
ozo_emeka: Is it falsehood?

So those pictures are NOT REAL? There are no homeless people in america, hobos? I'm making that up?

The hood is not real? I just photoshopped that?

Racism does not exist? Trayvon Martin is a fairy tale?

Africans don't get caricatured for their "accents"? TV ads don't portray Africa as ONE COUNTRY with starving kids?

PLEASE by ALL MEANS, prove me wrong if any of the "claims" I made are false

What is false is LYING to people and telling them America is all skyscrapers.

If its dat bad pls come bak to nigeria nah. Enugu, aba or osha r clean, modern, secure, crime-free n serene cities wit countless lucrative job opportunities
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by excell12go(m): 11:46pm On Oct 17, 2013
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by manny4life(m): 11:47pm On Oct 17, 2013
A lot of people think U.S. is bed of roses, but let me give you a breakdown.

Someone earns about $2,000 bi-weekly and their taxes (social security, federal and states, medicare, insurance deduction, etc) is about 35% of your check. That's $1,300 ($1000 - $700) or $2,600 monthly, then you have to budget travel to work, and an average commute to work daily (whether train, bus, or whatever) is about $6 and that depends on the area. If you're in my type of area (DC Metro), that's about $8 -$12 daily to commute into DC, that's about $51/weekly or $102 bi-weekly. Then you have to buy food which is about $50 bi-weekly.

So the most basic comes to $152 bi-weekly or $304 monthly.

Now compute

Rent or mortgage, electricity bill (about $45 during winter, $120 during summer), cable and internet ($70 monthly), cell phone ($60 monthly), car note and insurance, gas for car, personal maintenance, etc. By the time you're done, you'll be lucky to have $300 saved to you monthly.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by excell12go(m): 11:48pm On Oct 17, 2013
@babyosisi, thank u very much 4 dis thread. I really appreciate u. I'm a medical student and would be inducted next year by God's grace. I intend to move 2 d US for my Masters and phD and den return 2 practise in Nigeria. The issues I have are the problems of finance and relatives. I've got nobody there. Please how can I go about this?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Gayigaskia(m): 11:50pm On Oct 17, 2013
For you in the medical field i need a diagnosis. How come anytime i go to Africa my blood pressure goes normal, i breath better , i relax. Is that because i forget a little bit about my bills back here in the US wink wink wink
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by harsysky(m): 11:52pm On Oct 17, 2013
I smell great war!!!!ADA(babyosisi) and OBI(emeka)..peacemakers hope ur here cos blessed are the peacemakers for they shall.....lemme revisit ma bible..a minute pls
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by manny4life(m): 11:52pm On Oct 17, 2013
CFCfan:

Also, most savings accounts here do not generate any significant interest (barely $20 over the course of a year).

Savings ke?

Don't go through the "traditional savings" plan, set aside money before it's taxed through your plan so it's not deductible because if you check it out, what you're trying to save in the bank has been taxed already. For instance, you have $100 after taxes you want to save, why put it in the bank whereas if you enrolled in the pre-tax deductible plan, that $100 would have been $100 + the tax rate on it. Also, the banks will give you 0.01% OR 3.6% annual rate (which is RARE) on that same taxed money whereas through your standard "LOW RISK PLAN", you can have as high (when compared to 0.01%) 2-4% ROI.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by donLEXY(m): 11:53pm On Oct 17, 2013
@ozo_emeka and babyosisi:
The way the two parties makes an argument is disheartening, the fact that you did not acknowledge the other person's fact will not lead to solving problems. if you are really going to help people make a future decision, you need to list (if not all) the pros and cons of what the decision is. YES, there are homeless people in the US But we have a lot living very healthy), Yes there is Racism(but we have black folks marrying white folks, as a matter of fact, I have white folks as friends), yes Tribalism is the order of the day in Nigeria (Yet Hausas do business in Lagos and survived) e.t.c. but not as you have all pictured it to look like. So many people live in Nigeria lives in Nigeria and make it more than people in Nigeria and vice-vassal, if your conclusion is I AM GOING TO THE US, then, your first consideration should be Where will I stay, who will I stay with, in what state should I consider to reside. All this could make or mar your career. and @babyosisi: as much as we have zillions of Universities and colleges over here in the state, you have to let your fans understand that some of them are not accredited and they might fall into going to such school due to information gathered through you. I can't but stop here, it will be a good thing if both of you come together as one to help people in making decisions rather than getting into arguments............. I'm out
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by donLEXY(m): 11:58pm On Oct 17, 2013
excell12go: @babyosisi, thank u very much 4 dis thread. I really appreciate u. I'm a medical student and would be inducted next year by God's grace. I intend to move 2 d US for my Masters and phD and den return 2 practise in Nigeria. The issues I have are the problems of finance and relatives. I've got nobody there. Please how can I go about this?

That barrier you mentioned is really worth looking into because of the field you are in to, you do not need any emotional stress when in the medical line, with that been said, all you need to stand on your feet, is a lot of cash. when you have money, you can seek for accommodation in your school, and with time (when you understand where you are and have friends) you can decide to move out of school dorm. shikennah
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Gayigaskia(m): 12:02am On Oct 18, 2013
manny4life:

Savings ke?

Don't go through the "traditional savings" plan, set aside money before it's taxed through your plan so it's not deductible because if you check it out, what you're trying to save in the bank has been taxed already. For instance, you have $100 after taxes you want to save, why put it in the bank whereas if you enrolled in the pre-tax deductible plan, that $100 would have been $100 + the tax rate on it. Also, the banks will give you 0.01% OR 3.6% annual rate (which is RARE) on that same taxed money whereas through your standard "LOW RISK PLAN", you can have as high (when compared to 0.01%) 2-4% ROI.
Are you serious? what you just said isnot accurate, in the US its either you pay the taxes before or after. Now you can take the risk not paying but if you get caught you would pay 5 times what you ought to have pay. there is no forgiveness in here.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Gayigaskia(m): 12:08am On Oct 18, 2013
manny4life: A lot of people think U.S. is bed of roses, but let me give you a breakdown.

Someone earns about $2,000 bi-weekly and their taxes (social security, federal and states, medicare, insurance deduction, etc) is about 35% of your check. That's $1,300 ($1000 - $700) or $2,600 monthly, then you have to budget travel to work, and an average commute to work daily (whether train, bus, or whatever) is about $6 and that depends on the area. If you're in my type of area (DC Metro), that's about $8 -$12 daily to commute into DC, that's about $51/weekly or $102 bi-weekly. Then you have to buy food which is about $50 bi-weekly.

So the most basic comes to $152 bi-weekly or $304 monthly.

Now compute

Rent or mortgage, electricity bill (about $45 during winter, $120 during summer), cable and internet ($70 monthly), cell phone ($60 monthly), car note and insurance, gas for car, personal maintenance, etc. By the time you're done, you'll be lucky to have $300 saved to you monthly.

where do you pay electricity $45 a month? my monthly electric and gaz here in MD is between $250 to$300 a month . even when i was renting i average $150
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by solomon111(m): 12:10am On Oct 18, 2013
Hmmn...
This thread is still on.
Many of the people posting on this thread are trying to prop up america beyond realistic terms,and at the same time paint Nigeria in the darkest possible dye to validate their choices.
Smh.
Anyway,as they say,experience is the best teacher.
It's well.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 12:19am On Oct 18, 2013
Gayigaskia:

where do you pay electricity $45 a month? my monthly electric and gaz here in MD is between $250 to$300 a month . even when i was renting i average $150

America is a vast country so prices are bound to vary. Have you considered that someone paying $45/month on gas and electric may be living in a 1-BR apartment in a place like Michigan where cost of living is quite low? the arrogantly thoughtless way nairalanders just fly at posts can be quite puzzling.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Gayigaskia(m): 12:25am On Oct 18, 2013
davidylan:

America is a vast country so prices are bound to vary. Have you considered that someone paying $45/month on gas and electric may be living in a 1-BR apartment in a place like Michigan where cost of living is quite low? the arrogantly thoughtless way nairalanders just fly at posts can be quite puzzling.

Really, did you read his post? he said in the DC area. And your example of Michigan is way out of proportion, Michigan where winter last 6-7 months? Now who is really the arrogant?

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (34) (Reply)

Nigerians Confront South Africans With Guns In Pretoria - Facebook User / Applying For FLR After Your Initial UK Spouse Visa (extension) / Onitsha Lockdown Relaxation: What Upper Iweka Looks Like- Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.