Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,776 members, 7,952,172 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 11:48 AM

UNILORIN Engineers Invent Biometric Machine - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UNILORIN Engineers Invent Biometric Machine (15608 Views)

Meet The Man Who First Invent The " EXAMS" (pix) / Jamb 2012 Registration/form And Genuine/recommended Biometric Scanner Is Out / Biometric Finger Print For Scanner For Jamb{utme}2011 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UNILORIN Engineers Invent Biometric Machine by seedord247(m): 6:12pm On Oct 07, 2013
aguiyi: our politicians like Tinubu will be the first to condemn this invention and that will be followed by the national assembly then the Fg in its old style will gently throw it into a shredder.

imagine the amount of money this guys are trying to stop some persons from signing out in the name of importation. jor o, them go gree ?

we have had series of inventions from our schools and youths but in the end "IT IS NOT A VIABLE PROJECT THAT DESERVE HUGE INVESTMENT ,AS A RESULT IMPORTED ONES WILL BE BETTER FOR US" cry cry cry.

A typical paper envelope graduate from a failed education system...

At your age you cant differenciate between invent and instauration. shocked
Re: UNILORIN Engineers Invent Biometric Machine by manny4life(m): 6:14pm On Oct 07, 2013
Congratulations to them, they deserve it. We need good news like this from time to time, although I won't say they "invented" a biometric machine, they enhanced it's features such as recognizing tribal marks etc.
Re: UNILORIN Engineers Invent Biometric Machine by nyt3237(m): 6:18pm On Oct 07, 2013
Richfella: Invent (Noun): To create or design something that has not existed before; to be the originator of.

Innovate should be the right word. Ucant invent whats already in existence. We nigerian just like to overexarggerate things to boost our ego. The design is just an improvement on what is already available . I know its just programming aspect that has been upgraded which they referred to as invent
Re: UNILORIN Engineers Invent Biometric Machine by iterator25: 6:19pm On Oct 07, 2013
Provide funds and see the wonderment of 'smart' Nigerians.. fingers crossed for more...
Re: UNILORIN Engineers Invent Biometric Machine by naijareferee: 6:19pm On Oct 07, 2013
WTF. Are they trying to re-invent the wheel. Please some schools should invent phone.
Re: UNILORIN Engineers Invent Biometric Machine by chessguru1(m): 6:26pm On Oct 07, 2013
Trendy247: IN DEVELOPED COUNTRIES IT IS PRIMARY SCHOOL PUPILS DAT INVENT SUCH THINGS AND THEY WON'T BOAST ABT IT, WHY CAN'T WE BOAST OF INVENTING SOMETHING BETTER. nO WONDER WE ARE CLASSIFIED AS UNDER-DEVELOPED COUNTRY.
Sorry sir...who exactly are the "we" in your post?
No sir... The only thing underdeveloped is your brain undecided

2 Likes

Re: UNILORIN Engineers Invent Biometric Machine by Blessmira: 6:27pm On Oct 07, 2013
Chai! bad market 4 Uni Ilorin students durin exams. Omo kirikiri, bullet, expo go bow. Dt machine go detect al of them. Time 2 study harder! cheesycheesy

1 Like

Re: UNILORIN Engineers Invent Biometric Machine by alcuin(m): 6:27pm On Oct 07, 2013
life_style: Invent ?

My thought exactly. I was hoping to see something original.

Anyway, congratulation to the engineers. We wish to see more of these, albeit original.

Thanks..

1 Like

Re: UNILORIN Engineers Invent Biometric Machine by nyt3237(m): 6:27pm On Oct 07, 2013
naijareferee: WTF. Are they trying to re-invent the wheel. Please some schools should invent phone.

Me too i want to invent radio receiver but ASUU is on strike
Re: UNILORIN Engineers Invent Biometric Machine by jonath0012(m): 6:28pm On Oct 07, 2013
seedord247: Fvck it Fvck it Fvck it.....

This is so lame... A typical toy maker in china can produced tons of this shit... Why use the word invent when it has been in use in other other part since late 90's. grin

Menh backward never......
. Mr man, has anyone in your family ever made any attempt to think out solution to a problem, let alone invent? Learn to appreciate good thing
Re: UNILORIN Engineers Invent Biometric Machine by chessguru1(m): 6:29pm On Oct 07, 2013
alcuin:

My thought exactly. I was hoping to see some original.

Anyway, congratulation to the engineers. We wish to see more of these, albeit original.

Thanks..
You should revise you understanding of the word "invent".
Pls consult a good dictionary and come let's discuss.
Re: UNILORIN Engineers Invent Biometric Machine by LajaLaba: 6:31pm On Oct 07, 2013
Trendy247: IN DEVELOPED COUNTRIES IT IS PRIMARY SCHOOL PUPILS DAT INVENT SUCH THINGS AND THEY WON'T BOAST ABT IT, WHY CAN'T WE BOAST OF INVENTING SOMETHING BETTER. nO WONDER WE ARE CLASSIFIED AS UNDER-DEVELOPED COUNTRY.
My friend where is your brain?
Re: UNILORIN Engineers Invent Biometric Machine by mankand(m): 6:32pm On Oct 07, 2013
List Of Committees Set Up By The Jonathan Administration So Far

Below are the list of reports in the waste bin basket of Aso Rock and the report of the committee on National conference and the recommendation of the National conference MAY soon join the others in the waste bin.

(1) Committee on Nigeria's inclusion in FATF list –
(2) 26-member amnesty implementation committee to engage Boko Haram
(3) Flood fund raising committee -
(4) Committee for Abuja Park and Zoo -
(5) Committee to pay electricity workers
(6) Oronsaye committee
(7) Fuel subsidy scam: Presidential committee
(cool Presidential committee on SURE-P
(9) Presidential Committee on reform of government agencies
(10) Committee to review ICJ judgement on Bakassi
(11) Committee to solve frequent health workers face off
(12) PDP reconciliation committee -
(13) Committee to resolve FAAC crisis
(14) Ribadu committee report-
(15) Subsidy reinvestment board
(16) Committee on post-election violence
(17) Committee to identify leakages and waste in the Ministries, Departments and Agencies
(18) Committee for airport upgrading
(19) Justice Alfa Belgore committee
(20) Presidential Committee on Award of Post-Graduate Scholar-ship to first class graduates
(21) Presidential Committee on the Rationalisation and Restructuring of Federal Government Parastatals, Commissions and Agencies
(22) Committee to negotiate with the radical Islamist sect Boko Haram
(23) Committee to ratify FG contracts and procurements
(24) Pensions Reform Task Force
(25) Committee on transparency in the oil sector
(26) Committee set up to decongest the ports
(27) Committee to monitor oil exports
(28) Committee saddled with the responsibility of expelling all unqualified students from the school
(29) inter-ministerial committee to work out modalities for University lecturers to have a minimum PhD qualification
(30) NDDC fact- finding committee
(31) Presidential committee on road infrastructure
(32) Presidential committee on restructuring and rationalisation of the Federal Civil Service

We are waiting for the committee to verify the authenticity of the biometric machine grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: UNILORIN Engineers Invent Biometric Machine by chessguru1(m): 6:33pm On Oct 07, 2013
nyt3237:

Innovate should be the right word. Ucant invent whats already in existence. We nigerian just like to overexarggerate things to boost our ego. The design is just an improvement on what is already available . I know its just programming aspect that has been upgraded which they referred to as invent
Boss pls google the word "invent" and see if you won't see innovation as part of its definition.
Do check, am awaiting your response smiley
Re: UNILORIN Engineers Invent Biometric Machine by ochallo: 6:34pm On Oct 07, 2013
It's amazing to see my former lecturer's names in print,and i am glad ibiyemi has been able to come up with something after over 7 years that i left that hellhole of a department. Ibiyemi was almost going mad over all these projects, i am surprised though that no students name was mentioned, i am very sure some students would have definately worked on it. Of the 3 lecturers in electrical mentioned above, avazi is the only good lecturer with a human heart.
Re: UNILORIN Engineers Invent Biometric Machine by sarutobie(m): 6:35pm On Oct 07, 2013
Sorry for you and the other lazy armchair critic who liked your dumb post.
Re: UNILORIN Engineers Invent Biometric Machine by alcuin(m): 6:37pm On Oct 07, 2013
chess guru:
You should revise you understanding of the word "invent".
Pls consult a good dictionary and come let's discuss.

invent: to make, design, or produce something new for the first time e.g Alexander Bell invented the telephone in 1876

Source: Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English 1995 Edition.

How about that?

Thanks....
Re: UNILORIN Engineers Invent Biometric Machine by adenitemi: 6:39pm On Oct 07, 2013
Nice one Prof. He was my supervisor back in school. I'm into Robotics and Automated Controls now too...hoping to Invent soon. God bless Nigeria and the talents therein.

1 Like

Re: UNILORIN Engineers Invent Biometric Machine by omenka(m): 6:39pm On Oct 07, 2013
Dont mean to be a wet blanket, but is this an ''invention''?
Re: UNILORIN Engineers Invent Biometric Machine by chessguru1(m): 6:42pm On Oct 07, 2013
alcuin:

invent: to make, design, or produce something new for the first time e.g Alexander Bell invented the telephone in 1876

Source: Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English 1995 Edition.

How about that?

Thanks....
Hmmm what about this one
An invention is a unique or novel device,
method, composition or process. It may be an
improvement upon a machine or product
, or a
new process for creating an object or a result.
ww.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invention

Well while I maybe speaking as an engineer, most peeps crying up and down about using the word "invent" are doing so solely from a lame man or purely scientific perspective.
The bone of contention behind the use of the word "invention" revolves around the word "originality".
Has a biometric machine EXACTLY like what was produced been produced before?
Can this innovation or invention be given a patent?
If your answers are NO and yes respectively to both questions, then kick back relax and swallow a big as*s chill pill cos those men have invented a new type of biometric machine.
Its like me inventing a new process of liquefying natural gas.
Did I discover liquefaction of natural gas? Hell NO.
That doesn't stop my new discovery/invention from being "patent-able" signifying its originality.
#rest my case

3 Likes

Re: UNILORIN Engineers Invent Biometric Machine by adenitemi: 6:44pm On Oct 07, 2013
ochallo: It's amazing to see my former lecturer's names in print,and i am glad ibiyemi has been able to come up with something after over 7 years that i left that hellhole of a department. Ibiyemi was almost going mad over all these projects, i am surprised though that no students name was mentioned, i am very sure some students would have definately worked on it. Of the 3 lecturers in electrical mentioned above, avazi is the only good lecturer with a human heart.

^^^true. I graduated some years back and all project students under Ibiyemi did something on biometrics. But how many students does he want to recognise? Its all good.

1 Like

Re: UNILORIN Engineers Invent Biometric Machine by nyt3237(m): 6:59pm On Oct 07, 2013
chess guru:
Hmmm what about this one
, or a

An improvement upon a machine or product is called innovation. Value added features on a machine is an innovation. For example u cant say techno invented a mobile phone despite the fact that new features are added daily for their new set of phone. Invention is different from innovation.
Re: UNILORIN Engineers Invent Biometric Machine by sirrinky: 6:59pm On Oct 07, 2013
It is inconsequential parochial minds like you that never have anything worthy to show for your existence on this earth,yet you won't keep ur mouth shut.What have you invented since your birth? H̶̲̥̅̊ợ̣̣̇̇̇w̶̲̥̅̊ have you contributed to the enhancement of your immediate community? You have no idea what it means to develop an efficient biomtric system because if you did you won't have said that arrant nonsense you just said.Lemme ask you please in country did ur primary school child invent the biometric machine huh?

1 Like

Re: UNILORIN Engineers Invent Biometric Machine by goodpath: 7:01pm On Oct 07, 2013
UNILORIN?SARAKI/FATAI STATE?NEW PDP?NAH NOW WEY WE GET BIG MISUNDERSTANDING NAH IN UNA WAN BRING WETIN GO CAUSE YAWA FOR MY 2015 GULAGULA?PLEASE WE GO USE AM FOR 2019 ELECTIONS grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin[color=#990000][/color]
Re: UNILORIN Engineers Invent Biometric Machine by kokosheen(m): 7:03pm On Oct 07, 2013
silent don:

He said the machine can recognize so many human-related features.

“We used machines to recognise the human face, human iris, finger prints, toe prints and sole prints. We worked on speaker and speech recognition, signature verification and hand writing verification. What we found is amazing. For example, using any of these parameters, we can get different patterns of iris, fingerprints, toeprints, soleprints that differentiate the 14 billion people in the world,” he said.

Compared to foreign machines, Ibiyemi said the one developed by his team is cheaper and more functional. While an Iris Scanner from overseas cost N400,000 ($2,500), he said a locally-made one cost only N60, 000 to produce.

Prof. Ibiyemi, who thanked the Federal Government for making the grant of $250,000 (about N31million) available for the study, he challenged other researchers in the country to access available research funds. He lamented that out of the available $18millon STEP-B funds, only about 10 per cent has so far been accessed by 18 successful researchers nationwide.

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/unilorin-dons-invent-biometric-machine/

The 14 Billion people part gave them away! Rubbish research - This prof. should be washing plates if he doesn't know the population of the world.

Buncha scammers angry
Re: UNILORIN Engineers Invent Biometric Machine by GodhelpNaija: 7:04pm On Oct 07, 2013
Greatest unilorite!!!!! great

PROBITAS DOCTRINA.

1 Like

Re: UNILORIN Engineers Invent Biometric Machine by adenitemi: 7:05pm On Oct 07, 2013
chess guru:
Hmmm what about this one
, or a

Well while I maybe speaking as an engineer, most peeps crying up and down about using the word "invent" are doing so solely from a lame man or purely scientific perspective.
The bone of contention behind the use of the word "invention" revolves around the word "originality".
Has a biometric machine EXACTLY like what was produced been produced before?
Can this innovation or invention be given a patent?
If your answers are NO and yes respectively to both questions, then kick back relax and swallow a big as*s chill pill cos those men have invented a new type of biometric machine.
Its like me inventing a new process of liquefying natural gas.
Did I discover liquefaction of natural gas? Hell NO.
That doesn't stop my new discovery/invention from being "patent-able" signifying its originality.
#rest my case

You explained it just as it is. Because engineers worldwide go on churning out new technologies, our social sciences and arts peeps don't know the ingenuity that go into those designs. That was an invention, in all sense of the word....
Re: UNILORIN Engineers Invent Biometric Machine by chessguru1(m): 7:07pm On Oct 07, 2013
nyt3237:

An improvement upon a machine or product is called innovation. Value added features on a machine is an innovation. For example u cant say techno invented a mobile phone despite the fact that new features are added daily for their new set of phone. Invention is different from innovation.
So you imply that the cascade LNG cycle wasn't invented becos it wasn't the very 1st LNG cycle created?
Like I said, from an engineering perspective innovation is part of invention, as long as it is original.
Re: UNILORIN Engineers Invent Biometric Machine by ibsmooth: 7:07pm On Oct 07, 2013
goodpath: UNILORIN?SARAKI/FATAI STATE?NEW PDP?NAH NOW WEY WE GET BIG MISUNDERSTANDING NAH IN UNA WAN BRING WETIN GO CAUSE YAWA FOR MY 2015 GULAGULA?PLEASE WE GO USE AM FOR 2019 ELECTIONS grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin[color=#990000][/color]
True talk,i don't expect pdp govt to use locally manufactured machine(s) for any elections now,not because it can work but because importing outside will fetch them more money and easy to manipulate
Re: UNILORIN Engineers Invent Biometric Machine by Tinkybabe(f): 7:08pm On Oct 07, 2013
Great invention,highly impressive!

1 Like

Re: UNILORIN Engineers Invent Biometric Machine by baba11(m): 7:08pm On Oct 07, 2013
Bravo my fellow engineers,we rule the world!!!

1 Like

Re: UNILORIN Engineers Invent Biometric Machine by Nobody: 7:08pm On Oct 07, 2013
haterz shsssss !!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

10 Ways To Become A Scholarship Winner. / FG Deploys 50 Lecturers To Ugandan University / 2016 JAMB UTME Scores Will Be Released In 30 Minutes - Ojerinde

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.