Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,101 members, 7,939,447 topics. Date: Wednesday, 04 September 2024 at 05:42 AM

Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? (16747 Views)

Helping The Thinkers Believe, And Helping The Believers Think. / Oritsejafor To Jonathan - Give Half Of Your Salary To The Poor / Donate To The Poor And Needy Not Pastors tithe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by gonzaga: 2:09pm On Oct 10, 2013
My Father's house of worship has become a den of thieves. Stealing in the name of the Lord!

This is the state of most churches today.

8 Likes

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by zaimeg: 2:11pm On Oct 10, 2013
The Catholic Church does that through St. Vincent de Paul Society.

3 Likes

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by kobonaire(m): 2:12pm On Oct 10, 2013
vladimiros: Bullshit
so what is your own differing opinion? Anybody can say that but very few can offer a reasonable differing opinion.

1 Like

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by kobonaire(m): 2:12pm On Oct 10, 2013
zaimeg: The Catholic Church does that through St. Vincent de Paul Society.
it feels good to be a catholic smiley

1 Like

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by joyidarauko: 2:12pm On Oct 10, 2013
As for my chrch Lutheran church Of Nigeria , they are really help me am an orphan the helped me n my brother to buried my parents and still give us money 2 a year including festive period I love my family church and am proud of my church that is how churches should be

6 Likes

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by Nobody: 2:19pm On Oct 10, 2013
If churches could be listed on the stock exchange, i'll put every kobo i own into it.
But on a second thought, the Pastors would outsmart me and i would never get a dividend.

2 Likes

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by vizboy(m): 2:20pm On Oct 10, 2013
I still dont understand all these churches here and there. Just in my street alone there more than 5 churches on it, using the name of Jesus to dupe people.

Well I will always keep on saying it. If it is not catholic church I wont go to another church. I know they are not the best but they are trying.
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by stagger: 2:22pm On Oct 10, 2013
Ukuts gp: Are churches really helping the poor and the less priviledge in our society? considering the way pastors are buying jets, building mega churches worth billions of naira, cruising on an expensive cars even when some members hardly feed and takes care of their families. When you look at churches you will discover that they hardly help the poor and the unemployed members to stand on their feet financially. Building mega churches, buying private jets is not my problem, but helping the needy and unemployed is. My point is churches should contribute to helping the less priviledge in the church and society in general, that is what jesus is expecting churches to be doing and not the other way round. Now the question is: are churches helping the poor and needy in our society today or not? Give your candid opinion. Thanks.

Why don't you do a documentary on that and pay a visit to the churches in question on welfare days. In Winners, I cannot recollect how many of choice clothes and suits i and my wife have given away. Some bring food. Others bring all sorts of materials, given to people who need them. Not to talk of the outreaches.

OP, you and other biased people like you will only see what you want to see. Those who are objective know the truth.

1 Like

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by Johnnny(m): 2:26pm On Oct 10, 2013
@Poster

Are you asking this questions because you genuinely pity the situations of the poor and needy in the churches and the society at large?
or
You are asking because you are angry at the Pastors using big and expensive cars, privated jets, entourage, mega buildings etc?

If you are asking because of the poor and needy, my guy, I am with you 100% on that one, because even as an individual, I am always looking for ways to help people less fortunate than me. And as such I expected that, be it individual, organisations, religious bodies, churches, mosques etc should have impact in the lives of people, no matter how small. For example a church or mosque can take it upon themselves to build gutters or street roads in their neighbourhood, if they have the means to do so.

As for Pastors using big cars etc. I am lost for words on that issue, because most of these people called pastors have obviously shown that they are human first before being a christian, greed and materialism seems to be the order of their calling. Some pastors don't practice what they preach, they tell us every day to give aids to the poor, help the needy, give out alms etc, but how many of them have you seen park their big cars and walk to an old woman, a widow or a child, a beggar to give out anything. I have never come across any. They seem to exempt themselves from that doctrine. Well, how can they be expected to give out to people, when they are still expecting from those same beggars to give them. More like, taking cup to water from the thirsty and adding it to their own ocean already overflowing.

Above all, I am not to judge anybody, God strictly forbids that, but my points are made known to all.

6 Likes

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by cycline404(m): 2:26pm On Oct 10, 2013
I no go talk
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by ayobamiadeleke: 2:30pm On Oct 10, 2013
Why only church all d time. mosque also collectng sakat, babalawo is collectng there own .
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by CrazyMan(m): 2:31pm On Oct 10, 2013
stagger:

Why don't you do a documentary on that and pay a visit to the churches in question on welfare days. In Winners, I cannot recollect how many of choice clothes and suits i and my wife have given away. Some bring food. Others bring all sorts of materials, given to people who need them. Not to talk of the outreaches.

OP, you and other biased people like you will only see what you want to see. Those who are objective know the truth.
The same winners whose GO rides in different private jets and his university fees are off limits to the poor in his church?

3 Likes

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by tujays(m): 2:31pm On Oct 10, 2013
Ukuts gp: Are churches really helping the poor and the less priviledge in our society? considering the way pastors are buying jets, building mega churches worth billions of naira, cruising on an expensive cars even when some members hardly feed and takes care of their families. When you look at churches you will discover that they hardly help the poor and the unemployed members to stand on their feet financially. Building mega churches, buying private jets is not my problem, but helping the needy and unemployed is. My point is churches should contribute to helping the less priviledge in the church and society in general, that is what jesus is expecting churches to be doing and not the other way round. Now the question is: are churches helping the poor and needy in our society today or not? Give your candid opinion. Thanks.
I'm a christian and Strongly believe in the Existence of God.. but let the truth be told, Naija churches "most Especially" are pure Scams... take it or leave it, they read the bible upside down...

2 Likes

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by Nobody: 2:32pm On Oct 10, 2013
TB Joshua helps the poor but other pastors buy private jets.

God In heaven will judge them, not me.

fact is this, these private jet hopping pastors are not richer than TB Joshua or even Jesus Christ who had to hire an ordinary donkey or a boat for a crusade.... the bible tells us the world is not our home. our current preachers tell us to grab the world that it is our own...

my father also tot me the world is not our own ...
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by UyiIredia(m): 2:33pm On Oct 10, 2013
@ OP: To some extent they do bit more can be done.
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by simplexeun: 2:33pm On Oct 10, 2013
CrazyMan:
Imagine a church opening a university that more than 65% of its active members who pay their tithes and offerings regularly cannot afford and no one is asking questions.

Imagine the CAN president asking President Jonathan to give a percentage of his salary to the poor…when he has no record of any charitable act.

Imagine a GO interested in expanding his auditorium when the children of devoted members who cannot afford his expensive university are wasting away at home with no hope to further their education.

Until you break that chain of “don’t question a man of God” and begin to question pastors on how your offerings, tithes, first seed…etc. are being spent you would continually be repeatedly exploited by these greedy people.

It's very simple to know where you are coming from, and am very sure you don't have any knowledge of many churches protocol I attend normally church but not until the day I lost my parent that church registered my name to those who they are to be given monthly payment to sustain that I found out to know how much my church gives regularly to people monthly not even a worker in the church like me I only collected twice and I stopped but because God begin to interfere to all my needs I tell you is because the church is not grandiloquent like our politician. Wht you don't know you don't know if you genuinely serve God is able to carry your needs you don't even need a church or the member before you personally giving out cars to ppl my church is where everyone is somebody and the key is sacrifice try it is my secret and it works for me.
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by gratiaeo(m): 2:36pm On Oct 10, 2013
NO
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by CrazyMan(m): 2:38pm On Oct 10, 2013
simplexeun:

It's very simple to know where you are coming from, and am very sure you don't have any knowledge of many churches protocol I attend normally church but not until the day I lost my parent that church registered my name to those who they are to be given monthly payment to sustain that I found out to know how much my church gives regularly to people monthly not even a worker in the church like me I only collected twice and I stopped but because God begin to interfere to all my needs I tell you is because the church is not grandiloquent like our politician. Wht you don't know you don't know if you genuinely serve God is able to carry your needs you don't even need a church or the member before you personally giving out cars to ppl my church is where everyone is somebody and the key is sacrifice try it is my secret and it works for me.
Mind telling us the name of that your church?

Thanks in advance.

3 Likes

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by validplanet: 2:39pm On Oct 10, 2013
well, my church- First Baptist Church, Umuahia is quite different. not less than 5 youths are currently sponsored to acquire skills in fashion design, tiles fixing, computer repairs and basic computer training by a member of the church. but the majority of other churches have failed woefully in this fundamental responsibility.
and until pple speak out against this nothing will change.

and btw individuals in the church must not wait for the church pastor b4 the sponsor the youth because the pastor is more interested in spending money on building more beautiful edifice and other matters.

maybe this NAUG pple should put this matter in their agenda

2 Likes

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by Littlehooper: 2:44pm On Oct 10, 2013
IT'S THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE CHURCH TO HELP THE POOR OR THE NEEDY(CHURCH MEMBER ) IN THE SOCIETY
IN THE BIBLE, IT WAS WRITTEN THE FOLLOWERS HAD EVERYTHING IN COMMON.. THE FOLLOWERS BROUGHT THEIR PROCEEDINGS N IT WAS LAID BEFORE THE FEET OF THE APOSTLE
N IT'S BEEN SHARED ACCORDING TO INDIVIDUAL NEED...
LIVING FAITH (WINNERS CHAPEL ) N REDEEMED CHRISTIAN CHURCH OF GOD ARE TYPICAL EXAMPLE.. THEY DO HELP THEIR CHURCH MEMBERS TO GET ADMISSION INTO TERTIARY SCHOOL, PROVIDE JOB........

1 Like

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by Amhappy(f): 2:45pm On Oct 10, 2013
On the sunday we studied the bible passage on the Rich man and Lazrous,my parish announced harvest for the year and the aim of the harvest is to paint the church and give it a new look. I sincerely asked myself who is the church that needed painting if not the members of the body of Christ;our unemployed youth,the widows,d poor,d sick,the Lazrouses in our midst not a building. A beautiful edifice is good but attending to basic needs of our member is better.May God arrest the Nigeria Church and give us a new direction.

3 Likes

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by Tunjibodmas(m): 2:45pm On Oct 10, 2013
most of today churches are mere business center.
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by ygenius: 2:48pm On Oct 10, 2013
I do not attend big church ,my pastor is nt a rich man,bt he has never joke with helping the poor,even he has nt for once depend on church fund.u knw giving most time does nt depend on riches or maybe religion tinz,i can say its an attitude,which everyone must cultivate,it makes the world a easy and better place

3 Likes

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by MAYOWAAK: 2:53pm On Oct 10, 2013
What is the population of Nigeria and how many are sane enough to understand philosophical, economical, political and spiritual things? If thousands leave their churches today, I can bet you all that another new 10's of thousands will fill their churches.
When people believe that it takes an extra terrestrial power to get them what government is supposed to get for them like we have in developed societies, the Daddies and mums of the spiritual world take over and we are then made to believe that "all impossibilities shall be made possible"
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by Nobody: 2:53pm On Oct 10, 2013
Attended an RCCG service in US recently. One pastor came from nigeria for a four-day event. The first day, he told church members to sow a seed in their life by dropping $500 each. The next day, he told the same church members to sow yet another seed in their lives with $1200. Didnt attend the third day, but am sure it wouldve been the same. In other words, a pauper attending the church cannot also gain from God's blessings.

The size of the seed does not determine the size of the tree...

4 Likes

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by klax(m): 3:01pm On Oct 10, 2013
Hell No No No and Noooooooooooooooooooooo. The Only help the church render is to use the poor unemployed church member little offering to buy private jets for G.O's and maintain it for them as well.

1 Like

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by scratchbro: 3:04pm On Oct 10, 2013
Well my church is people based, and its a very big church in abuja with about 4 branches. but its all about the people.... trust me... church dont get better than this. smiley
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by blesdman(m): 3:04pm On Oct 10, 2013
Hmmmm....not really
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by livingstoneony(m): 3:04pm On Oct 10, 2013
I can seee hypocrites all over this thread, @op asking to help the needy is like asking any other firm to part with their profit. Churches this days are business ventures, that's y IDGAF about dem. smiley

3 Likes

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by InvertedHammer: 3:06pm On Oct 10, 2013
/

Churches are not in business to help the poor.

Their jobs are centered around winning souls for Christ.

You will reap your benefits in heaven.

Meanwhile, bring your wallet.

//

3 Likes

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by imauri: 3:07pm On Oct 10, 2013
even doe i see, i have no right to judge anyone.... God will judge us all....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Muslims Curse Jews And Christians 17 Times Each Day As Part Of The Salat / Anja Ringgren Lovén Rescues 3 Children Accused Of Witchcraft In Akwa Ibom / All T.B. Joshua's Prophecies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.