Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,187,697 members, 7,932,948 topics. Date: Tuesday, 27 August 2024 at 04:08 PM

Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? (16739 Views)

Helping The Thinkers Believe, And Helping The Believers Think. / Oritsejafor To Jonathan - Give Half Of Your Salary To The Poor / Donate To The Poor And Needy Not Pastors tithe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by stankezzy: 6:44pm On Oct 10, 2013
ebullient1986: My dear all they are after is to acquire billions for themselves. They are materialistic and pure business men and women that is after your back pocket
which services are mosque nd other religious bodys doing?since they are more in power in fedrall level than christians which means they have acces to our money easyly but if u go to their worship center,it will be one old outdated dillapidated building.most of the worshipers may be milloner,to tell u that it is nt d amount u have but the hearth to give.that is why most of them are envios wen d see big fine church.abi una own people no de contribute money help person? if na to use am trow bomb ,una go do am sharp sharp.
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by k2039: 6:50pm On Oct 10, 2013
Matthew 26:11 The poor you will always have with you , but you will not always have me.

If you give the poor people a load of money they' ll still be poor.

Giving money isn't even a way to help the poor if it was then the various charities should have solved the proverty problem ages ago.

Wisdom is the principal thing, but you can't teach wisdom.

I think the church should focus more on educating her members on wealth creation. But at that they can't teach them wisdom.
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by mystical10: 6:54pm On Oct 10, 2013
CharliParker: The 3 things that will ever last HOPE, FAITH,AND LOVE the greatest is LOVE ,and it requres a great sacrifice, 1 corinth 13vs 13. We should love one another, and also help the needy
u hv said it all, i hv been especting ppl to qut bible here to back it up, we all knw the true. Sm chuchs re nt helping the matter at all.bible said it 'he who help the poor shall never lack' chuchs msque re purely made to help the poor, saint poul said it. Naija pastors re selfish and slf centred.these is nt who my grndpa tld abt chuch those days, today chuch hv turn to buz center.
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by Miner13: 6:57pm On Oct 10, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: Firstly op you need to understand what/who is the church?
the church is the body of christ. Then if the body is rotten and those placed 2 b in charge are makin their own purse large ..,the questn++is that wot christ teach?
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by delkuf(m): 7:02pm On Oct 10, 2013
D op seem to miss wht/who d church is. We are d church. U, me evry body. So if u fail to help dd poor, u are also not to doing well

1 Like

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by Ugoc3(m): 7:05pm On Oct 10, 2013
Your question caused a stir thoughts regarding the role of the church in our society.i think so many people in the business of preaching(4gv me wen i say business of preaching) are not called in the vocation. men of God are acting lyk politicains,amassing wealth for themselves that they can not evn spend in their lifetime.If am compare the number of churches or pastors... very few pastors are actualy helping...the poor and the un-empolyed. it saddens my hrt...Dear writer.

3 Likes

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by SlimShawty(f): 7:05pm On Oct 10, 2013
Pattey:

Excuse you? Waka forward abeg
Make I waka backwards before?Na forward tinzzz dearie.Unlike some peeps here.
cheesy

Oh,and I'm the one who liked your post.

1 Like

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by tunapa2009(m): 7:10pm On Oct 10, 2013
How long do we need to complain? If the "church leader" have failed us, how can we make correction in our own time?
The church is not the building neither is it the leaders. Every member make up the church. The question should be "when last did I give to the poor and the needy"?

This is a personal thing and you don't have to be taught for you to know the right thing to do.. As a christian, our giving habit must improve especially to the needy in our environment.
Some people earn thousands of naira per month but still find it difficult give out N50 to this group of people in the society. They are waiting till become the next multi millionaire...
This is a call to all believers out there to start giving(nothing is too small) out cheerful to the poor and needy in our society(you don't have to broadcast it)..
Shalom!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by SlimShawty(f): 7:16pm On Oct 10, 2013
Ukuts gp: @pastor prosper. I wander if that name suit you. Let me tell you, stop wallowing and basking in d epheora of mammoth ignorance and asininity, And liberate ur mind from monumental delusion. Meanwhile let me maintain my state of equanimity and conviviality so that this thread will not be turned into verbal feud and celerous disputation. Pls state ur point without name calling. Thanks.

Lmaooo dude,you ended up saying NOTHING!

You remind me of my headmaster back in primary school...he had a propensity for useless formal words.The 'I wander' at the beginning spoilt the show,though grin

2 Likes

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by IdeaIsNeed: 7:16pm On Oct 10, 2013
Virgin Finder: Mind your business and leave the churches alone. Thank you.

Nobody has forced you to part with your N1 grin

How very Christ-like of you

1 Like

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by Mintayo(m): 7:19pm On Oct 10, 2013
Miner13: the church is the body of christ. Then if the body is rotten and those placed 2 b in charge are makin their own purse large ..,the questn++is that wot christ teach?
are u part of the body of Christ? What are u doing to help the poor as d body of Christ? As the church?
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by AjanleKoko: 7:30pm On Oct 10, 2013
@Topic,

Not really. On the face of it, they look like they are, but in reality, they are adding to the problem.
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by seyi360(m): 7:41pm On Oct 10, 2013
Malicious and bitter thread
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by success4(m): 7:41pm On Oct 10, 2013
It is the mosque responsibility to tell their members(Boko Haram) to cease fire grin
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by PrinceNwokeji: 7:41pm On Oct 10, 2013
So ashamed at our chirches these days, brotherly love and cares dnt exists there any longer. It a pity.
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by AjanleKoko: 7:42pm On Oct 10, 2013
tunapa2009: How long do we need to complain? If the "church leader" have failed us, how can we make correction in our own time?
The church is not the building neither is it the leaders. Every member make up the church. The question should be "when last did I give to the poor and the needy"?

This is a personal thing and you don't have to be taught for you to know the right thing to do.. As a christian, our giving habit must improve especially to the needy in our environment.
Some people earn thousands of naira per month but still find it difficult give out N50 to this group of people in the society. They are waiting till become the next multi millionaire...
This is a call to all believers out there to start giving(nothing is too small) out cheerful to the poor and needy in our society(you don't have to broadcast it)..
Shalom!!!!!

So are you okay if everybody stops giving to the church, but gives to the poor instead?
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by tunapa2009(m): 7:48pm On Oct 10, 2013
AjanleKoko:

So are you okay if everybody stops giving to the church, but gives to the poor instead?
It is relative. Why do you give to the church? Why do you give to the poor? Answer these two questions?
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by kyegh(m): 8:16pm On Oct 10, 2013
bad nature: when tb joshua came up with a programme to help the poor you phariseas of our country stated calling him names and 2day your asking if church are helping the poor. keep mocking ur self
are guy for real
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by kingjohnny(m): 8:19pm On Oct 10, 2013
Not much they even widened the gap between the rich and the poor look at their schools very exorbitant
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by Nobody: 8:19pm On Oct 10, 2013
True word my brother. If churches aя̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ involve in job creation the country would be a better place. All this religious fanatics hitting on ƔU̶̲̥̅̊ should think abt the post.

1 Like

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by kyegh(m): 8:23pm On Oct 10, 2013
Jensen_elizz: Na wa oo........the rate at which dem use dey carry church mata 4 head for dis nl dey suprise me oo.....church do this,dem go post,church do that dem go post..........why u no ask whether mosque dey help d poor and unemployed 4 naija.....mtcheeeeeeew rubbish post
Point of correction this is not a rubbish post this question has hung in mind for a while know I may be a little sensitive and have shyed away from bringing in up on thus forum but someone else did, if it were me I will also pose a question whether you think the church has failed in it's responsibility for the poor in Nigeria because I know they do that abroad.. Give charity.
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by sCun: 8:28pm On Oct 10, 2013
Do not wait for the church to created jobs, rather take your donations / seeds and give to those who are willing to start businesses. The other day my church did a fund raising ceremony to purchase a keyboard worth N20 million! What nonsense, now imagine if those who donated money to that effect could have used it for a better purpose. Is that amount of money not enough to start up a profitable company that can grow to the extent of employing thousands of people? That is just an example of how we aren't getting our priorities right.
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by kyegh(m): 8:37pm On Oct 10, 2013
simplexeun:

You have said it all, face God and worship him Jesus also said the people in needs will alwaz be around . Those in need are inevitable no matter trillions u have you can satisfy all and for those who doesn't pay tithe how many pple have u help even when you dont pay the tithes ??
This is about the moral standard of allot of churches around us and how they affect their environment.. Herein your opinion the church should ignore the plight of poor members and pursue their own because to a large extent that's what they do, tithe? I have nothing against it but building the house of the Lord which is what tithe is meant for do you think it's only the structural framework which is what the pastors purport or the also to take care of the poor
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by PastorKun(m): 8:48pm On Oct 10, 2013
Chamackh: There is a mission in Christ Embassy called Inner City Mission responsible for that. Likewise Living Bread Church Akesan here in Lagos.

What percentage of the billions CEC makes is devoted to take care of the poor?
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by tunapa2009(m): 8:50pm On Oct 10, 2013
Pastor Kun:

What percentage of the billions CEC makes is devoted to take care of the poor?
Let me reframe your question like this.

What is the impact of these outreach programmes on the lives of this vulnerable group?

2 Likes

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by Pattey(m): 8:56pm On Oct 10, 2013
Slim Shawty:
Make I waka backwards before?Na forward tinzzz dearie.Unlike some peeps here.
cheesy

Oh,and I'm the one who liked your post.

*Smh*

By the way, Ul probably understand what we're talking about if U juxtapose the achievements of Old Missionary churches and your hip-hop churches of today, , ,
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by ogunteluwo(m): 9:08pm On Oct 10, 2013
Regard employment, my church is trying.
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by Nistfrank(m): 9:56pm On Oct 10, 2013
d Bibble says so many will perfume miracles by my name but i ve not sent dem, dont be surprise most of dis men are not from God. Most are ocultic members hiding in d church.
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by pmc01(m): 9:58pm On Oct 10, 2013
In a country where over 80% of her population live below $1.00 per day, we have a MOG or Whether na GO dem call am who claims the full ownership of FOUR private jets. It is ironic and incredulous. If the 'Church is not the Government, who should take care of the people' as claimed by some, why then should the people me made hyper tax payers to the church (in the name of tithe)?
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by Nobody: 10:22pm On Oct 10, 2013
tunapa2009: How long do we need to complain? If the "church leader" have failed us, how can we make correction in our own time?

Shalom!!!!!

VERY SENSIBLE POST
THE MODERN DAY (BUSINESS) CHURCH
HAS A PROBLEM BUT AS NIGERIANS
WE'D RATHER DIE THAM ADMIT AS MUCH
THE WHOLE CONCEPT OF GIVING (ESP TO THE POOR)
WAS TO SHOW HOW MUCH U LOVE GOD
BY TAKIG CARE OF HIS CREATION
ENTER MODERN DAY PASTOR
WHO PREACHES THAT U SHOULD GIVE HIM
SO U CAN GET PLENTY MORE
LIKE A MONEY DOUBLING THING
SO THE MODERN DAY CHRISTIAN GIVES SO HE MAY RECIEVE
NOT BECAUSE HE LOVES GOD
BLINDED BY GREED HE KEEPS DASHING PASTOR
WHILE DAYDREAMING OF BIG THANGS
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by Cmfrt001(f): 10:26pm On Oct 10, 2013
Virgin Finder: Mind your business and leave the churches alone. Thank you.

Nobody has forced you to part with your N1 grin
hey, answer his question (that's if you have any @ all) and don't be sarcastic. My opinion on the topic is that if nobody believe's in helping the poor, the church should as it is their primary assignment. The answer to the question remains no, churches do not help the poor. You might say they do by going to the extreme of buying a jet in other to spread the gospel to the un-reached(who are believed to be the poor/less privileged) or they do because you just watched on the tv how some church went as far as mexico city to give some food items to the poor there. Well, my dear, I am happy to tell you that they are all 'eye services'. If you want to give to the poor, you need not to announce/ publicise it or make sure you are over comfortable before you remember that guy who has no family or that girl who has no one to look after her and her unborn child. You give out of the little you have. Unfortunately, most churches now believe in you giving to the pastor, who in re-turn prays and blesses you. Well, all I have to say is that you are your own church. Forget about the building and you as an individual should do the right thing. If Jesus could do it, you can also do it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Here Are Things The Holy Spirit Does: Biblical Backings / Joshua Iginla Celebrates Birthday By Donating N23m To 115 Widows / Please Don't Lose Your Soul To The Devil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.