Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,421 members, 7,971,531 topics. Date: Thursday, 10 October 2024 at 11:28 AM

Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know - Nairaland / General (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know (30060 Views)

Some Disturbing Facts You Probably Don't Know About DEATH. / Random Photos Of Some Beautifully Decorated Areas In Lagos / 10 Random Facts About Yourself (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (32) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by safarigirl(f): 2:35pm On Oct 11, 2013
Kingmojo: What tribe is this girl from? I know she is nigerian but her accent sounds like Ghanaian accent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ztjh30_i4k
can't see her clearly. She could be from any of the over 200 tribes, doesn't make her a representative of any other tribe but her own. Ethnic accents rank from the beautiful to ridiculous, if you ever heard the Efik/Ibibio accent, you'd laugh your eyeballs out.
Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by Nobody: 2:35pm On Oct 11, 2013
safarigirl: Chris Attoh, Van Vicker and Michael Majid DO NOT sound like the average Ghanaian. Jonathan does NOT sound like the average Nigerian, he doesn't have what is generally referred to as a Nigerian accent, rather he has an ethnic accent, a core yoruba/hausa man does NOT sound like Jonathan, so why use him? Most Nigerian politicians have accents that represent their ethnicities, not the general one. And SA accent is HORRIBLE. @KING, Yes, the Zimbos sometimes sound American, emphasis on SOMETIMES, all the ones I've heard sound intelligent enough

They all have Ghanaian accent, just different ones. Listen to these girls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLpJVj2GM_Q
Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by Nobody: 2:43pm On Oct 11, 2013
safarigirl: can't see her clearly. She could be from any of the over 200 tribes, doesn't make her a representative of any other tribe but her own. Ethnic accents rank from the beautiful to ridiculous, if you ever heard the Efik/Ibibio accent, you'd laugh your eyeballs out.

That's nse ikpe
Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by Nobody: 2:45pm On Oct 11, 2013
I like this girls accent, I think is sexy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRLkZJ_SRUU
Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by safarigirl(f): 2:48pm On Oct 11, 2013
Kingmojo:

Zims have never sounded like American and will never sound American. I have an American accent and I know how it sounds like.

Yes Jonathan does not sound like every nigerian just like our president does not sound like every Ghanaian but one thing is most educated Ghanaians English are really polished compare to other Africans. The best accent in Ghana comes from the ewe and the fanti.
like I said, the ones I've heard sound American, bearing in mind that even the American accent varies. Here, education doesn't determine accent, rather exposure i.e where you were bred. A graduate from a university in Ibadan who has lived all their lives there, most likely won't speak as good as a secondary school drop-out who has lived in Lagos/Abuja or even Kano all their lives. Going by that, nigeria would outnumber Ghana, right?
Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by safarigirl(f): 2:51pm On Oct 11, 2013
Kingmojo:

That's nse ikpe
she's of efik origin- she's one of the exposed ones. She lived in the city, she doesn't even rep a third of her people's accents. Search for Bishop Ime-Udoh's movies to discover the Efik accent
Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by Nobody: 2:56pm On Oct 11, 2013
safarigirl: like I said, the ones I've heard sound American, bearing in mind that even the American accent varies. Here, education doesn't determine accent, rather exposure i.e where you were bred. A graduate from a university in Ibadan who has lived all their lives there, most likely won't speak as good as a secondary school drop-out who has lived in Lagos/Abuja or even Kano all their lives. Going by that, nigeria would outnumber Ghana, right?

To you it might sound like it, but to someone who speaks and knows American accent then the answer is no. I will say nigerian accent sounds more American than Zimbos because of exposure between the two.

Of course an educated person will always sound different and you factor in the tribal language we all don't have the same accent. One thing for sure is educated Ghanaians English tends to be more polish compare to
Other Africans.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by Adamskuty(m): 7:35pm On Oct 11, 2013
Kingmojo:

Yo dude, I am denying it, I am just telling you they have lots of other rankings that had no nigerian uni in the top 20. There are thousands of such rankings.

One thing I saw is west african unis are lacking behind other parts of Africa. That's the only thing I got. So let's put this to bed. If Nigeria has better uni than Ghana or vice versa is all good.

The only ranking that seems to have nigerian uni in top 10 is this 4icu. I have to do research on that website because it does not correspond with other rankings. It also does not correspond with the world rankings.
i know, 4icu put OAU at 10, but the new webometric rating done by cybermetric lab of spain,a world reknown institution (note:- the rating done by this institution is what the whole world make use of,it's the most authentic)

so these are two different organization.... 4ic rating done by january put OAU at 10

while cybermatric rating done by august put OAU at 8.

So there's absoluty nothing to argue about!

And lastly i'll be so gald,infact more than glad if u can show me just one article of 2013 that didn't put a nigerian university in the top..Ten cheesy
Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by Adamskuty(m): 7:51pm On Oct 11, 2013
[b] kingmojo i dont think CNN agrees with u when u say ghanaians got the best accent in africa,lol!

A new research don by CNN put nigeria accent as 5th sexiest in the world (minus IGBo) way above america accent

http://m.travel.cnn.com/explorations/life/worlds-sexiest-accents-130333?page=0%252C1

many africans tend to call igbo accent a nigeria accent,i dont know why,maybe it's simply because most nigerians they have met are igbos (infact they are the most traveled africans) and i think by watching our movies (nollywood), (99 percent of the actors and actresses are igbos) infact nollywood is own by igbos! grin

hausas got their own movie industry same with yorubas,and they speak their native language when they act.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by Nobody: 7:57pm On Oct 11, 2013
Adamskuty: i know, 4icu put OAU at 10, but the new webometric rating done by cybermetric lab of spain,a world reknown institution (note:- the rating done by this institution is what the whole world make use of,it's the most authentic)

so these are two different organization.... 4ic rating done by january put OAU at 10

while cybermatric rating done by august put OAU at 8.

So there's absoluty nothing to argue about!

And lastly i'll be so gald,infact more than glad if u can show me just one article of 2013 that didn't put a nigerian university in the top..Ten cheesy

Dude u still on this, okay this 2013 top ten in Africa.

http://answersafrica.com/top-10-universities-in-africa-latest-rankings.html

http://mercyjonline..com/2013/04/2013-top-100-universities-in-africa.html?m=1

See where obafemi is rank 31. Obafemi is not even the best in Nigeria. These rankings are bogus

Legon is ranked 21
Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by Adamskuty(m): 8:44pm On Oct 11, 2013
Kingmojo:

Dude u still on this, okay this 2013 top ten in Africa.

http://answersafrica.com/top-10-universities-in-africa-latest-rankings.html

http://mercyjonline..com/2013/04/2013-top-100-universities-in-africa.html?m=1

See where obafemi is rank 31. Obafemi is not even the best in Nigeria. These rankings are bogus

Legon is ranked 21
omg! I cant believe u actually posted an article from a blog for me? Lool! grin

that's a blog by an un popular person,anybody can creaate a blog and post gibberish,btw! The gibbersih posted in that blog dated april 2013! Mine was august 2013 from a very world class reliable source in far away spain!

And the first article is something else,the website alone,loool! No one will take that serious,no date was given in the first article! That's sad sad
Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by Nobody: 8:53pm On Oct 11, 2013
Adamskuty: omg! I cant believe u actually posted an article from a blog for me? Lool! grin

that's a blog by an un popular person,anybody can creaate a blog and post gibberish,btw! The gibbersih posted in that blog dated april 2013! Mine was august 2013 from a very world class reliable source in far away spain!

And the first article is something else,the website alone,loool! No one will take that serious,no date was given in the first article! That's sad sad

They quoted their source. So I don't know what you are talking about.
Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by Adamskuty(m): 8:54pm On Oct 11, 2013
Kingmojo check this out!

Sanusi lamido sanusi (central bank of nigeria governor) watch the video and hear him speak! How do u see his accent??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icTfhXZqp-8&client=mv-google&gl=NG&hl=en&guid=
Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by Nobody: 9:09pm On Oct 11, 2013
Adamskuty: [b] kingmojo i dont think CNN agrees with u when u say ghanaians got the best accent in africa,lol!

A new research don by CNN put nigeria accent as 5th sexiest in the world (minus IGBo) way above america accent

http://m.travel.cnn.com/explorations/life/worlds-sexiest-accents-130333?page=0%252C1

many africans tend to call igbo accent a nigeria accent,i dont know why,maybe it's simply because most nigerians they have met are igbos (infact they are the most traveled africans) and i think by watching our movies (nollywood), (99 percent of the actors and actresses are igbos) infact nollywood is own by igbos! grin

hausas got their own movie industry same with yorubas,and they speak their native language when they act.

Let me break this down for you. An accent can be considered sexy but yet unpolished and hard to understand. Italians accent and French accents are hard to understand but people think is sexy. British accent wasn't among the top 5 sexiest but if we did a poll the British accent is the most polish and sexiest.

All I am trying to say is an accent can be considered sexy but hard to understand and not really well polish.

Ghanaians English tend to be more polish example was the pronunciation of the presidents. The Ghanaian president was more polished, so Onila thought he studied abroad.
Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by Nobody: 9:13pm On Oct 11, 2013
Adamskuty: Kingmojo check this out!

Sanusi lamido sanusi (central bank of nigeria governor) watch the video and hear him speak! How do u see his accent??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icTfhXZqp-8&client=mv-google&gl=NG&hl=en&guid=

He doesn't have a Nigerian accent, I know some Nigerians can have a Ghanaian sounding accent. This man have a Ghanaian accent.

One thing for sure, Nigerians have the best pidgin. Sounds so sexy, I love the way they speak it.
Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by Nobody: 9:16pm On Oct 11, 2013
Onila baby, do u have a nigerian accent or British. If u have a British accent then it is a done deal. Get ready to be deflower, because I am going to start making the arrangement to marry you.

Also can u speak pidgin, that would just put the icing on the cake.

I am a sucker for girls with British accent and ones that pidgin English the way mercy johnson or tonto dikeh speaks it.
Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by Adamskuty(m): 9:36pm On Oct 11, 2013
Kingmojo:

He doesn't have a Nigerian accent, I know some Nigerians can have a Ghanaian sounding accent. This man have a Ghanaian accent.

One thing for sure, Nigerians have the best pidgin. Sounds so sexy, I love the way they speak it.
lool! That's hausa nigeria accent! I will say igbo accent is the worst in nigeria,like seriously,joke apart!
Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by Nobody: 9:53pm On Oct 11, 2013
Adamskuty: lool! That's hausa nigeria accent! I will say igbo accent is the worst in nigeria,like seriously,joke apart!

We have lots of Hausas in Ghana, so I am not really off. Educated Hausas have great accent. I am not sure but I think the president of Ghana is Hausa or mixed with Hausa.

Which tribe in Nigeria has the best accent? Y'all really should make pidgin your national language instead of English.
Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by RoyalPearl(f): 10:06pm On Oct 11, 2013
Kingmojo:

We have lots of Hausas in Ghana, so I am not really off. Educated Hausas have great accent. I am not sure but I think the president of Ghana is Hausa or mixed with Hausa.

Which tribe in Nigeria has the best accent? Y'all really should make pidgin your national language instead of English.
He is Hausa. Yes that guy sounds like a Ghanaian lol
Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by Nobody: 10:09pm On Oct 11, 2013
Royal^^Pearl^^:
He is Hausa. Yes that guy sounds like a Ghanaian lol

Which Ghanaian tribe has the best accent in your opinion?
Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by RoyalPearl(f): 10:23pm On Oct 11, 2013
Kingmojo:

Which Ghanaian tribe has the best accent in your opinion?
Lol I do not think a particular tribe has a better accent then the other But you are so right about the educated part.
Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by Nobody: 10:28pm On Oct 11, 2013
Royal^^Pearl^^:
Lol I do not think a particular tribe has a better accent then the other But you are so right about the educated part.

Educated Africans tend to have their own accents.

Do u speak pidgin?
Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by RoyalPearl(f): 10:31pm On Oct 11, 2013
Kingmojo:

Educated Africans tend to have their own accents.

Do u speak pidgin?
No i don't. I know a few words but am not perfect
Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by Obrafour(m): 11:03pm On Oct 11, 2013
Kingmojo:

Royal^^Pearl^^:

He is Hausa. Yes that guy
sounds like a Ghanaian lol

John Mahama(President of Ghana) is a Gonja, though he can speak Hausa, he is not Hausa. The Hausa dialect is a common vernacular in Northern Ghana just like how Akan/twi is the common
Vernacular in Southern Ghana. Northern Ghana is Heterogenous, why do you think there is a lot of tribal bigotry up there?
Zongo communities in Ghana are indigenes of Hausa(Nigeria,chad,Mali) extraction. Indeed the origins of Ghana-Nigeria Tit-Tat deportation was because of the huge influx of the migration of foreigners(largely Hausa) to post independent Ghana.
Today, Hausa has integrated into mainstream Ghanaian tribes.
PS: The sexy language in Ghana to me is Fante.
Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by Fulaman198(m): 11:10pm On Oct 11, 2013
Kingmojo:

He's a Nigerian from my ethnic group, he is Fulani. However, that is not really a typical Fulani accent either. He must have gone to some of the best Western schools.
Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by Fulaman198(m): 11:11pm On Oct 11, 2013
Kingmojo:

Sanusi Lamido is not Hausa, Lamido is a Fulani word, not Hausa.
Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by Nobody: 11:15pm On Oct 11, 2013
Obrafour:

John Mahama(President of Ghana) is a Gonja, though he can speak Hausa, he is not Hausa. The Hausa dialect is a common vernacular in Northern Ghana just like how Akan/twi is the common
Vernacular in Southern Ghana. Northern Ghana is Heterogenous, why do you think there is a lot of tribal bigotry up there?
Zongo communities in Ghana are indigenes of Hausa(Nigeria,chad,Mali) extraction. Indeed the origins of Ghana-Nigeria Tit-Tat deportation was because of the huge influx of the migration of foreigners(largely Hausa) to post independent Ghana.
Today, Hausa has integrated into mainstream Ghanaian tribes.
PS: The sexy language in Ghana to me is Fante.

So Hausas are not originally from Ghana.
How was Hausas able assimilate into Ghana better than any other tribe from Nigeria. Now Hausa is considered a tribe in Ghana. Their language is so dominate in northern Ghana and parts of southern Ghana. I mean every city in Ghana has a Hausa town.

I think they assimilated into Ghana through food, because they can cook their asses off.
Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by Obrafour(m): 11:17pm On Oct 11, 2013
Fulaman198:

Sanusi Lamido is not Hausa, Lamido is a Fulani word, not Hausa.

Don't sweat it Bruh, I don't know about Nigeria, but in Ghana people conclude that you are a moslim and a northner once you speak Hausa.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by Nobody: 11:18pm On Oct 11, 2013
Fulaman198:

He's a Nigerian from my ethnic group, he is Fulani. However, that is not really a typical Fulani accent either. He must have gone to some of the best Western schools.

He sounds like a Ghanaian. I am not sure but do Ghana have any Fulani tribe. I met a Fulani Ghanaian once, I must say she was the first.
Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by Fulaman198(m): 11:18pm On Oct 11, 2013
Kingmojo:

So Hausas are not originally from Ghana.
How was Hausas able assimilate into Ghana better than any other tribe from Nigeria. Now Hausa is considered a tribe in Ghana. Their language is so dominate in northern Ghana and parts of southern Ghana. I mean every city in Ghana has a Hausa town.

I think they assimilated into Ghana through food, because they can cook their asses off.

Correct, and even Upper Volta (Burkina Faso) you will find Hausa. That's a good question that you pose though. I hear that Ghana detests Fulani people.
Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by Nobody: 11:20pm On Oct 11, 2013
Obrafour:

Don't sweat it Bruh, I don't know about Nigeria, but in Ghana people conclude that you are a moslim and a northner once you speak Hausa.

I don't know why, but that's what most people think. Once you are from the north and Muslim you are automatically considered Hausa. Like there aren't other tribes up north. Do we have fulanis in Ghana.
Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by Fulaman198(m): 11:20pm On Oct 11, 2013
Obrafour:

It's wrong for them to do so, because whilst most Fulani, Kanuri, Tuareg, etc. do speak Hausa in Nigeria, not all of them do, in fact not all West African Muslims from Ghana and Nigeria from the North though grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (32)

Mysterious People You Have Met In Life. / Usenbor Osasu Michael Is Missing (Photo) / Have You Seen The PDP Campaign Elephant? (see It Here)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.