Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,553 members, 7,944,655 topics. Date: Monday, 09 September 2024 at 09:01 PM

NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN (28727 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / NASU Will Join ASUU Strike Next Week / ASUU Fixes Next Meeting For Aug.29 2013. Nasu Others Threaten To Join Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by hikmoj(m): 11:41am On Oct 10, 2013
Ayomax: hav lost hope on this country. TOGO here i come
dem go togolise u as d guineans guineanise nigerians few days ago.but why goin 2 2GO & not N/LAND
Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by Okwyjesus(m): 11:42am On Oct 10, 2013
Really interesting to knw that Bartho is still in those things that caused riot in my final yr back then in
2009/2010.

As for d abondoned project l wasnt surprise bcs l saw it coming. Most of them l think are Nebo's project. I even did a post about it in unnforum back
then.
Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by Nobody: 11:43am On Oct 10, 2013
Castos: U look beautiful
Yea she is. Had to log in to check her out
Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by Hearme(m): 11:43am On Oct 10, 2013
buffenuff: We don't see state and local governments workers, state school teachers going on strike. Why? Because they know they have to get the job done. These lecturers should all be sacked, everyone of them. Bring in fresh 21st century lecturers. All these lecturers are too old school for these generation, they teach you programming only on the board and by the book but when you give them your laptop to show you example, they can't do shit. ASUU should be shut down. What's their job anyway. The only time I hear about ASUU is when they wanna strike. Let every university hold their side, if any lecturer has an issue, let them sort it out with the VC. You don't hear about oxford and cambridge lecturers going on strike.

All in support for ASUU to SHUT DOWN like this post!!!

As foolish as you are you are comparing our university welfare and infrastructure with Oxford and Cambridge where lecturers earn a minimum of about 15- 20kpound montly.

I'm sure you are a trader else you would have known that NUT went on a national strike on teachers salary for more than 3 months on thier 27% Teachers peculiar allowance in which some states are still picketing once a while over non payment. E.g Kogi
Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by Nobody: 11:44am On Oct 10, 2013
Damojo:

Yes, U will. And U will get employed b4 them cos most organisations now take pple below 24yrs. But will u be wise, matured and experienced like ur so-called seniors? God will help U.

CHILD!
_

Huh?
Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by Nobody: 11:44am On Oct 10, 2013
OTHERS ARE PROTESTIN,UNILORIN IS PROGRESSIN
from d post, unilorin is also enjoyin d benefits..Better By Far jorh!
ASUU....ehya
there's hope, it wud b called off soon

buh juz incase it extends,port to unilorin..or beta stl,tel ur junior ones/ur friends' younger ones/ur enemies' younger ones to mk unilorin their 1st choiced institution come UTME 2014
Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by Moshood91(m): 11:46am On Oct 10, 2013
|♦Moshood C. Zarmani☺♦®
Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by katman9x(m): 11:48am On Oct 10, 2013
sкчscrαρεr™:
at first i supported ASUU when they embarked on this strike action but now i`m totally aqainst them. all they care about is their pocket and i`m very sure their salaries are been paid durinq this strike. i suqqest the president sack all of 'em and replace them with lecturers who are willinq to teach. just like fashola did to doctors in laqos. by then they will be the ones beqqinq for their jobs.

I actually take offence to that. I'm not ASUU but part of NARD who is also on strike and being federal? We've already accepted that no salary during the strike. Mind you it will come after the strike (lol) but for now? Nothing. SANU and NASU just joined too because they havent been paid for 2 months despite working during this ASUU strike. Now this is what I dont get. Jonathan's administration was the one who signed such a ridiculous deal and have failed to honor it for 4yrs, now the lecturers are shouting people are pissed with them? Why not at the Government? Also this money is supposedly to be use for infrastructures etc which will allow a better more internationally recognised degree abroad. Mind you the lectures in ASUU are also turning papers in for international recognition and how do they accomplish that with mediocre tools and equipments? Which is why at least UI profs and co are still internationally recognised while others have degrees that are looked down on. Imagine last yr a law came out disregarding certificates of doctors that graduated from the yr 2010 and above in almost 10 or so nigerian universities. Meaning they cant practise outside if they decide to. This was in Europe. Shell Nigeria doesnt even recognise the engineering degree here and still send their intakes for further training.
This strike is to deal with that. Now being Nigeria and corruption? ASUU might just chop this money. If they do? Then after making all this noise? If they do? Government shoukd line up their leaders and shoot them.

2 Likes

Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by Micron21(m): 11:50am On Oct 10, 2013
kingsley103:
THE Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) yesterday said it was wrong for the Federal Government to claim that opponents of the government have hijacked its industrial action.

Meanwhile, there are signals that whenever the ASUU strike comes to an end, a fresh crisis may erupt at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN) as the Joint Action Committee on Trade Unions of the university yesterday threatened to shut down the institution as soon as academic activities resume.

ASUU has dashed all hope for a quick resumption of academic activities in public universities, as it vowed not to succumb to attempt by the Federal Government to blackmail it to calling off the over three months industrial action.

The union’s chairman in the University of Port Harcourt, Prof. Antonia Okerengwo, told journalists yesterday in Port Harcourt that the Federal Government has been economical with the details of the reasons Nigerian public university teachers have been on strike in the last three months and that it is wrong to use ASUU to fight a political war.

Okerengwo said it was rather wrong for President Goodluck Jonathan to claim that those with political vendetta against the government have hijacked ASUU’s struggle, adding that it was sad that the government has allegedly decided to reduce the struggle to politicking.

“When I listened to the president saying that, I sent a message to somebody and said it is the government that is being political, we know our politicians, once something is not going their way, they explain it to mean their enemies are using it for political reasons, is this the first time ASUU is going on strike? We have been on strike for the same issues all along. Did we also play politics during Babangida’s time, during the military era in 1992 when we went on strike? Did we also play politics when Abacha was head of state and we went on strike, was it also political?” she stated.

She spoke as the National Union of Electricity Employees (NUEE) gave the Federal Government one week to settle its differences with ASUU or face the mother of all strikes that may cripple the country if nothing is done.

Also, ASUU has warned the authorities of the University of Ilorin not to share the N986.7 million earned allowance disbursed to it by the Federal Government until the ongoing strike is over.

Zonal Coordinator of ASUU, Dr. Ayan Adeleke, told reporters in Ibadan that the union chairman in UNILORIN, Dr. Taiwo Oloruntoba-Oju had already conveyed the position of the university teachers to the institution’s management, warning that universities should not betray the struggle by disbursing the earned allowances until the struggle is over.

It was gathered that workers in the University of Ilorin early yesterday engaged themselves and the university management over modalities for sharing of the institution’s share of the N30 billion disbursed to the universities by the Federal Government.

Dr. Adeleke, who faulted the Professor Wahab Egbewole faction of the union in UNILORIN, reminded that the National Industrial Court had declared the group illegal.

University of Ibadan ASUU Chairman, Dr. Segun Ajiboye, said, “it is the height of immorality for these fellows in Ilorin to be squabbling over the proceeds of a struggle that they did not participate in”, adding that the union is committed to full revitalization of the public university system and not the peanut of earned allowances.

Speaking during a training workshop organized for labour leaders of the union in Enugu, General Secretary of the National Union of Electricity Employees (NUEE), Comrade Joe Ajaero said the union would align with others across the country to embark on a solidarity strike with ASUU if the impasse persists.

In University of Nigeria, Nsukka, the ASUU and NASU at a press conference said the plan to shut down the institution has become necessary following alleged ongoing corruption, looting and flagrant abuse of office by the Vice Chancellor, Prof. Barth Okolo.

The two unions alleged that Okolo had run the institution since he assumed office without a budget.    They called on the Federal Government to constitute a judicial commission of enquiry to investigate the activities of the vice chancellor and the immediate past council of the school with a view to sanitizing the system.

When contacted, Okolo said the issues raised by the unions were “instigated” and calculated at tarnishing his achievements in office, adding that they had no relationship with the goings on in the school.

Okolo, who would not want to respond pointedly to the issues raised by the unions added: “The type of growth that has happened in the UNN presently has never happened anywhere since the inception of the institution. It is being testified everywhere and I am yet to believe that it is all the members of the unions that addressed the press conference.”
Source: http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/national-news/135159-ASUU-denies-hijack-of-strike-by-govt-opponents
Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by ironheart(m): 11:51am On Oct 10, 2013
Am in full support of ASUU. They want the government to invest more in our university system. Alot of us are unemployed because employers feels we have not had the required training using the right infrastruture. Our president and 90% of our political class today where taught by foreigners and with the right infrastructure at that time. Alot of africans wished to study in our schools. Its a shame alot of us go to ghana to acquire education. Let support ASUU to reposition our educational system. Our president is a Phd holder, he should please realise that we standards in our schools.

1 Like

Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by samtos007: 11:51am On Oct 10, 2013
Gistben: all we are saying, call up the strike!!!
Call up?
Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by comrChris(m): 11:53am On Oct 10, 2013
Lol at call up the strike,the strike don finish ugrin grin grin grin
Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by joideviv(m): 11:53am On Oct 10, 2013
I'm a sophomore in public administration...and I must say dat BARTHO is really trying, renovation all over the places, averagely 21hrs power everyday. And he is also tryna refurbish our hostels. He keeps to calender et al. I smell politics though. The problem we are having is shortage of water supply
Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by hikmoj(m): 11:56am On Oct 10, 2013
Hearme:

As foolish as you are you are comparing our university welfare and infrastructure with Oxford and Cambridge where lecturers earn a minimum of about 15- 20kpound montly.

I'm sure you are a trader else you would have known that NUT went on a national strike on teachers salary for more than 3 months on thier 27% Teachers peculiar allowance in which some states are still picketing once a while over non payment. E.g Kogi
did i hear u say KOGI? Me tink say igalas don use dia juju block pple eyes make dem no know wetin dey shele 4 yonder.in fact dat is d worst state in d country in terms of development &dividends of democrazy.
Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by micfred(m): 12:05pm On Oct 10, 2013
d fact is dat before nigeria as a whole can stable, dere is urgent need to bomb all those calling themselves leaders, because u cant imagine a student staying at home for more than three good months and no solution was been provided and dey are dere sitted collecting money wit ghana must go every day. Wat a bad nation, if i ve my way i will move to anoda country
Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by micfred(m): 12:07pm On Oct 10, 2013
[color=#006600][/color]d fact is dat before nigeria as a whole can stable, dere is urgent need to bomb all those calling themselves leaders, because u cant imagine a student staying at home for more than three good months and no solution was been provided and dey are dere sitted collecting money wit ghana must go every day. Wat a bad nation, if i ve my way i will move to anoda country[i]d fact is dat before nigeria as a whole can stable, dere is urgent need to bomb all those calling themselves leaders, because u cant imagine a student staying at home for more than three good months and no solution was been provided and dey are dere sitted collecting money wit ghana must go every day. Wat a bad nation, if i ve my way i will move to anoda country[/i]d fact is dat before nigeria as a whole can stable, dere is urgent need to bomb all those calling themselves leaders, because u cant imagine a student staying at home for more than three good months and no solution was been provided and dey are dere sitted collecting money wit ghana must go every day. Wat a bad nation, if i ve my way i will move to anoda country
Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by Nobody: 12:09pm On Oct 10, 2013
Hearme:

There's no need to curse young man, how much do you think lecturers in nigeria make in a month, with bonus from handouts and transport money that the students "dash" them. Lecturers in western world don't get these luxuries of being a lecturer.
Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by Lamasta(m): 12:15pm On Oct 10, 2013
?
Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by yummyp(f): 12:20pm On Oct 10, 2013
Greedy gov. Greedy citizens.... I Don't blame them cos their children school outside the country.. They can't feel what others parents feel to see their children stay @ home 4 3months because of 1 selfish ASUU strike... GEJ has bad advicers without knowing d counsel of the wicked causes sorrow #Ngozi Okonji.... I jus want 2 tel her dat Nigeria is a country not a palace....

ASUU is a useless group d difference between ASUU n boko haram is bomb

buffenuff: We don't see state and local governments workers, state school teachers going on strike. Why? Because they know they have to get the job done. These lecturers should all be sacked, everyone of them. Bring in fresh 21st century lecturers. All these lecturers are too old school for these generation, they teach you programming only on the board and by the book but when you give them your laptop to show you example, they can't do shit. ASUU should be shut down. What's their job anyway. The only time I hear about ASUU is when they wanna strike. Let every university hold their side, if any lecturer has an issue, let them sort it out with the VC. You don't hear about oxford and cambridge lecturers going on strike.

All in support for ASUU to SHUT DOWN like this post!!!

ASUU must be shut down

2 Likes

Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by IBnatty(m): 12:22pm On Oct 10, 2013
Moshood91: Lets be honest, the allegations against Bartho Okolo are true. We pay tuition of almost N50,000, internet fee of N12,000, hostel fee of N9,000; then the faculty dues and departmental fees. And some other people in OAU and UNILAG settles this all with just N20,000. Are we more or less human.
After the last published Admission list, supplementary forms were sold for N10,000 each. Only 1,300 spaces were available, but I believe over 10,000 people applied. That's over N100,000,000.
Students take almost all GS courses in the open stadium.
The hostel toilets are complete eye-sores. I stay in Mbanefo.. You can visit.
There is constant water shortages and we bath with just reservoir water.
Bartho needs do something or get fixed.
|Moshood C. Zarmani (Royal Lord of Mbanefo, Alvan and Eni Njoku Halls).

Bartho is tyranical and corrupt, This probe is long overdue. He is talking about development, Let me ask my fellow Lions and Lioness.
What major project has he completed since 2009 he assumed office?
The labs he has been refurbishing since last year are they in use now?
Is planting of flowers development?
Is painting of only Female hostels development(male hostel are such in a bad shape)
Finally, is demolishing of buildings developments.
Fellow Lions/lioness, We ought to hang our heads in shame. Some many wrong things happen but we dont ask questions. For 2yrs/sessions we have been taking lectures under trees and in a stadium.. WHY?
Since 09/10 we pay SUG fees but it is non existent WHY?
We pay 12k for an unreliable network.. Lionet. WHY? I can go on and on.
Compare our (consolidated) tuition with other federal universities. Bartho has been fooling us for so long.
Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by Slickest(m): 12:45pm On Oct 10, 2013
Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by Abuklaw(m): 12:49pm On Oct 10, 2013
When will someone talk about asup?the dailies,pundit,critics,agitator, vibrant and ever-millitant Nigerian student all stay mute on this issue. And some nonentity will speak against the fact that people are maligned and deprived of their rights in their fatherland.
Shame on FG!!! Shame on all media platform!!! Shame on Nigerian student
Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by Ajekpako(m): 12:51pm On Oct 10, 2013
Gistboy: I don't know about the allegations against UNN VC but the VC has really achieved a lot in UNN.

You obviously didn't witness Prof Nebo's regime, one of the best VCs yet!

Most of the projects you see on ground were initiated and started by Nebo. I was in UNN last month after 5yrs of leaving the den and i was disappointed at how bad things had gotten cry cry cry cry
Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by fimber: 12:55pm On Oct 10, 2013
ASUU is on strike so, they should close their mouth until the strike is suspended. They are just telling every body that loneliness can make one to start thinking of another persons business. The UNN VC has changed almost all the old infrastructures in UNN. You can go to the university and see for yourself.
Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by Memyselfu2009(m): 12:56pm On Oct 10, 2013
Igbo university na money kill am ooo ASUU been greedy FG been stupid NASU been broke NAN be jobless nigeria been hopeless me been tired nd bored
Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by havilaLAGOS: 12:56pm On Oct 10, 2013
SimonAndal:
Wait....is the strike still on? Damn!
Brb, lemme prepare for my lecture. Continue striking. At this rate I'm gonna graduate before my seniors in public uni. grin grin grin grin grin

what are u feeling like now? mtscheew
Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by Memyselfu2009(m): 12:57pm On Oct 10, 2013
Hw I much I can't state my Msc in a private uni without graduating from my state uni
Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by Dynasty92: 1:00pm On Oct 10, 2013
Ah..na for dis my final evrytin wan happen? Pls o, I bliv dere shud be anoda way of dealin wit dis issue without necessarily shuttin down d skool.
Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by maximunimpact(m): 1:16pm On Oct 10, 2013
Onwe101: Dreamt last nyt †ђξ strike wuld be called off coming
monday....ma dreams always çømé tru

Perharps ur dreams come true only in ur dreams
Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by Chinyeresandra(f): 1:17pm On Oct 10, 2013
ASUU,Oh Nasu!
Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by chucky234(m): 1:33pm On Oct 10, 2013
greall1: What's NASU,ASUU and OSU
NASU na Beverly great grandpa while ASUU na her grandpa wey born OSU wey born Beverly dats why her name na Beverly OSU.
Hope u get it
Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by Nobody: 1:35pm On Oct 10, 2013
maximunimpact:

Perharps ur dreams come true only in ur dreams
lolssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Top Ten Institutions Chosen As First Choice By Candidates In 2018 UTME / LASU Lists 15 Unwanted Dressing Styles Among Students On Campus / Forget Everything That Geography Taught You About The Solar System Model

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.