Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,124 members, 7,880,510 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 07:50 PM

What Is Wrong With Your Younger Sibling Getting Married Before You? - Romance (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What Is Wrong With Your Younger Sibling Getting Married Before You? (18465 Views)

1st Time You Saw Your Younger-Sister With A Guy: Your Reaction ? / How Can I Tell If My Husband Is Married In Nigeria Or Was Married Before? / How Would You Feel If Your Younger Sister Gets Married Before U Do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Wrong With Your Younger Sibling Getting Married Before You? by ryom(m): 5:41pm On Oct 10, 2013
@ op: nothing wrong with it. There's a difference between chronos and kairos.
Re: What Is Wrong With Your Younger Sibling Getting Married Before You? by Sike(m): 5:43pm On Oct 10, 2013
yuzedo: Sooooooooo after i have given you pocket money for donkey years, you will now born before me and i will still start giving your kids pocket money again??!?! HELLLL NOOO!! You must give my kids first so that it cancels all those plenty years you taxed me! angry angry angry
Re: What Is Wrong With Your Younger Sibling Getting Married Before You? by gtrust: 5:50pm On Oct 10, 2013
didicold: Absolutely nothing wrong with it, she should just go and meet her spiritual leaders so they can talk some sense into her parents

no comment on this!
Re: What Is Wrong With Your Younger Sibling Getting Married Before You? by toprealman: 6:01pm On Oct 10, 2013
Not a crime in my books, just a Nigerian thing.
Re: What Is Wrong With Your Younger Sibling Getting Married Before You? by Teenzy(f): 6:15pm On Oct 10, 2013
God has different plans 4 every1 and His will 4 each memba of a family differs....Each person has 2 fulfill his/her purpose at different times cos God's ways is different 4rm ours...so i dont see anything wrong wif it if its God's time.

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With Your Younger Sibling Getting Married Before You? by addictiv(m): 6:31pm On Oct 10, 2013
Okija_juju:

Tufiakwa Aluuuuu!!! angry

See this people o!! There is everything wrong with it o!! It is an abormination!!

Again!!!! TUFIAKWA!!!!

make una no use "mordernization" carry abormination enter our land o!!

Ife ni'ne na uwa bu turn by turn.. Onye bulu uzor bia uwa, ga e'bulu uzor na.. Obu ka o'kwesili idi.

You cant reverse the natural order of life o!!

If that small girl wants to marry, she should go and find husbands for her 2 elder sisters first, so she can be free to marry!! Abi she wan take the place of Ada in her family?! Mba nu!

So her single elder sisters would be coming to do Omugwo for their small sister wey dem been follow train!! When she never repay them for the one wey dem do for her when she small.. #TUFIAKWA!!

#Drinks schinapps, spits it out and breaks kolanut!! Throws 5 cowries up in the... 2 lands inside the circle... 2 lands outside.. 1 has been taken by the gods..
spoken like a clueless igboman
Re: What Is Wrong With Your Younger Sibling Getting Married Before You? by Pattey(m): 6:34pm On Oct 10, 2013
I'm the 1st son, followed by 2 girls. . . And am almost certain at least One of the girls will get married b4 me.

For Girls it might be a big deal tho. . .
Re: What Is Wrong With Your Younger Sibling Getting Married Before You? by Shinelle(f): 6:38pm On Oct 10, 2013
In those days (bilble days), I remember in Gen 29: 15-30, Laban tricked Jacob into marrying Rachels elda sis, Leah......before giving him Racheal as well......, In dis 21st century tho it doesn't matter.....I av no intention of marrying yet, buh personally I would want my elda sisters to marry before me. So I'm praying hard for them, while I work on my life (skul n stuff)....
Re: What Is Wrong With Your Younger Sibling Getting Married Before You? by Nobody: 6:43pm On Oct 10, 2013
Don't mind this yeye old traditions.Elder Sister busy jumping from one front Car to anoda. Younger ones get married and 4get about old Tradition.

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With Your Younger Sibling Getting Married Before You? by didicold(f): 6:43pm On Oct 10, 2013
What do u mean?
gtrust:

no comment on this!
Re: What Is Wrong With Your Younger Sibling Getting Married Before You? by nwa4me(f): 7:08pm On Oct 10, 2013
My younger married bfor me n am very happy for her.i don't believe anytin is wrong in dat

2 Likes

Re: What Is Wrong With Your Younger Sibling Getting Married Before You? by Mikhaela: 7:26pm On Oct 10, 2013
What? What's wrong with that? I'm confused. Marriage has nothing to do with age or your siblings or am I crazy?
Re: What Is Wrong With Your Younger Sibling Getting Married Before You? by Chartey(m): 8:11pm On Oct 10, 2013
Titiluvly:

And you're Ok with it right?
Seems u don't know masonkz. He's not heterosexual. U should understand his statement now.
Re: What Is Wrong With Your Younger Sibling Getting Married Before You? by Chartey(m): 8:27pm On Oct 10, 2013
salt 1: Two elder sisters? Poor them! They will be feeling soooooooo old!

I can understand the parents' concern. Peace will disappear from that family until those two ladies marry too.
They can't even share in their sister's joy during the wedding because all the well-meaning uncles and aunties will fill their ears with prayers of " don't worry my daughter. your own will soon come. slow and steady wins the race" etc.

Is it wrong? not at all
Is it good for family peace? Never!

It's even easier if they are men. Women can get very emotional over such things

You took the words right out of my mouth. It's sad the way people are ready to brush aside our African cultures in the name of modernity due to ignorance. These things were put in place for a reason.
It is true that in life your happiness is the ultimate. But how can you remain happy when your siblings are not happy with you. The right thing to do is to put pressure on your elder sister to get married while you are patient. A little sacrifice and consideration in life never hurt anyone. Marrying before her is a form of disrespect and humiliation which she may never forget even if it seems she has.
Re: What Is Wrong With Your Younger Sibling Getting Married Before You? by jmoore(m): 8:57pm On Oct 10, 2013
To those saying the elder one must marry first, after marriage will the younger one also wait for the elder one to get pregnant first? smh

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With Your Younger Sibling Getting Married Before You? by Nobody: 9:03pm On Oct 10, 2013
Chartey:
Seems u don't know masonkz. He's not heterosexual. U should understand his statement now.

Lol cheesy

jmoore: To those saying the elder one must marry first, after marriage will the younger one also wait for the elder one to get pregnant first?

I wonder too o.
Re: What Is Wrong With Your Younger Sibling Getting Married Before You? by Champele(m): 10:10pm On Oct 10, 2013
masonkz:

100% ok with it.
ignorant.
Re: What Is Wrong With Your Younger Sibling Getting Married Before You? by Champele(m): 10:13pm On Oct 10, 2013
Chartey:
You took the words right out of my mouth. It's sad the way people are ready to brush aside our African cultures in the name of modernity due to ignorance. These things were put in place for a reason.
It is true that in life your happiness is the ultimate. But how can you remain happy when your siblings are not happy with you. The right thing to do is to put pressure on your elder sister to get married while you are patient. A little sacrifice and consideration in life never hurt anyone. Marrying before her is a form of disrespect and humiliation which she may never forget even if it seems she has.
bullshit,stupid culture.lol
Re: What Is Wrong With Your Younger Sibling Getting Married Before You? by Nobody: 10:29pm On Oct 10, 2013
Champele: ignorant.

Ignorant because? You think everyone came into life to drag who will get married first and who will die last?

You...are the ignorant one smiley
Re: What Is Wrong With Your Younger Sibling Getting Married Before You? by tpia5: 10:34pm On Oct 10, 2013
Chartey:

its statements like these which make people feel bad about their siblings marrying.

another option (which is locking the barn after the horse has gone), is to space your kids about 10- 15 years between each of them, that way there's little chance of the younger getting married before the older.

if that's not practical, then stop stoking unnecessary ill feeling and try to be more supportive.

sibling rivalry isnt limited to marriage issues or gender btw.

and, imo, someone who will consider it disrespect on the part of the younger sibling, will still fight the sibling for some other reason anyway, with or without marriage. The underlying issue is not the wedding but something else in the family dynamics.

The right thing to do is to put pressure on your elder sister to get married while you are patient

ideally, perhaps.

in reality, wouldnt be so feasible unless the younger sister is extremely patient and her fiance is also understanding.

and what if the older sister isnt ready to marry?
Re: What Is Wrong With Your Younger Sibling Getting Married Before You? by biggiedol: 11:10pm On Oct 10, 2013
Am facing such situation right now, my younger brother just got married last month and the reason she rushed it was because the wife is pregnant and now 2 friends where lashing me on bbm and even insulting me that,am useless that is why my younger brother got married before me, I had to return it back to them real hard also,

As for me there is nothing wrong, after all life na per head,
Re: What Is Wrong With Your Younger Sibling Getting Married Before You? by Chartey(m): 12:19am On Oct 11, 2013
tpia@:

its statements like these which make people feel bad about their siblings marrying.

another option (which is locking the barn after the horse has gone), is to space your kids about 10- 15 years between each of them, that way there's little chance of the younger getting married before the older.

if that's not practical, then stop stoking unnecessary ill feeling and try to be more supportive.

and, imo, someone who will consider it disrespect on the part of the younger sibling, will still fight the sibling for some other reason anyway, with or without marriage. The underlying issue is not the wedding but something else in the family dynamics.

ideally, perhaps.

in reality, wouldnt be so feasible unless the younger sister is extremely patient and her fiance is also understanding.

It's another thing if she's not ready to marry. At least everybody knows she doesn't want to. But if she does and she's just having challenges, then being patient isn't out of order. It's in the interest of the family. Remember the family is bigger than the individuals in it. Besides everybody makes sacrifices for everybody in the family(the beauty of a true African family). If she explains to the fiance and he doesn't understand then he isn't worth marrying. He'll become the sort of husband who'll alienate the wife from her family anyways since he has little regard for the family of his wife. As a man, i have no problem waiting for 2 or 3 more years to marry the woman I'll build a home and spend the rest of my life with.
Re: What Is Wrong With Your Younger Sibling Getting Married Before You? by Nobody: 12:30am On Oct 11, 2013
Nothing, I don't care undecided
Re: What Is Wrong With Your Younger Sibling Getting Married Before You? by mercurie(f): 12:35am On Oct 11, 2013
This same thing happened 2 me last year december, when my hubby came to meet my parents. My eldest sis who is married said my parents should halt d marriage 4 d second daughter 2 get married 1st. But @ last my parents allowed my wish of matrimony and I'm now in my hubby's house. I pray my sis finds her own.

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With Your Younger Sibling Getting Married Before You? by tpia5: 1:26am On Oct 11, 2013
Chartey:
It's another thing if she's not ready to marry. At least everybody knows she doesn't want to. But if she does and she's just having challenges, then being patient isn't out of order. It's in the interest of the family. Remember the family is bigger than the individuals in it. Besides everybody makes sacrifices for everybody in the family(the beauty of a true African family). If she explains to the fiance and he doesn't understand then he isn't worth marrying. He'll become the sort of husband who'll alienate the wife from her family anyways since he has little regard for the family of his wife. As a man, i have no problem waiting for 2 or 3 more years to marry the woman I'll build a home and spend the rest of my life with.

the woman doesnt remain in her family once she gets married, even though she's still part of her family.

making sacrifices can be from anybody, i dont think its right for the older to ask her sister to remain unhappy and resentful just because she (older sister) isnt ready to marry yet.

if people find themselves in a situation like this, imo the best option is to be happy for the bride and believe God for your own man.

should the older sister just jump on any male in sight in the name of getting married first?

These things are not as simple as you make them appear. Yes, it will assuage the older sister if her younger sibling postpones her wedding out of deference to her. However, how will the younger sister alleviate her own hurt feelings and what is she supposed to feel about the family wahala preventing her from getting married?
Re: What Is Wrong With Your Younger Sibling Getting Married Before You? by Nobody: 6:45am On Oct 11, 2013
Chartey:

Ok ooo
Re: What Is Wrong With Your Younger Sibling Getting Married Before You? by Nobody: 6:48am On Oct 11, 2013
dannysteve99@ya:
Don't mind this yeye old traditions.Elder Sister busy jumping from one front Car to anoda. Younger ones get married and 4get about old Tradition.

Chai grin
Re: What Is Wrong With Your Younger Sibling Getting Married Before You? by Nobody: 6:50am On Oct 11, 2013
tpia@:

ideally, perhaps.

They are not ready!
Re: What Is Wrong With Your Younger Sibling Getting Married Before You? by didicold(f): 7:13am On Oct 11, 2013
Don't mind ppl joor, what happened to older sibling s sacrifice for younger ones, y should u stop someone from acheiving happiness because ur time hasnt arrived, dats just crazy , culture or not, what if its d elder sister's destiny to meet her true husband @ her younger sisterz wedding, by putting it on hold to stisfy her selfish desires, she is unknowingly sabotaging herself. When ppl understand d concept of destiny, dey will realize its not a matter of who wasz born first, its a matter of when God is ready to do things for u, or are her parents indirectly encouraging fornication, bcoz dat is what dey r doing

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With Your Younger Sibling Getting Married Before You? by mrspeaker: 7:32am On Oct 11, 2013
Parents should understand that tho they gave birth to us but our destiny are differ.....culture/traditon are man made, no where in the bible where it stated or written...Abeg make dem allow her get married or i WILL personnal take it up in the next sitting @ NASS [i][/i] grin
Re: What Is Wrong With Your Younger Sibling Getting Married Before You? by Chartey(m): 9:07am On Oct 11, 2013
tpia@:

the woman doesnt remain in her family once she gets married, even though she's still part of her family.

making sacrifices can be from anybody, i dont think its right for the older to ask her sister to remain unhappy and resentful just because she (older sister) isnt ready to marry yet.

if people find themselves in a situation like this, imo the best option is to be happy for the bride and believe God for your own man.

should the older sister just jump on any male in sight in the name of getting married first?

These things are not as simple as you make them appear. Yes, it will assuage the older sister if her younger sibling postpones her wedding out of deference to her. However, how will the younger sister alleviate her own hurt feelings and what is she supposed to feel about the family wahala preventing her from getting married?
tpia what tribe are you and where did you grow up?
Re: What Is Wrong With Your Younger Sibling Getting Married Before You? by Okijajuju1(m): 9:25am On Oct 11, 2013
Shinelle: In those days (bilble days), I remember in Gen 29: 15-30, Laban tricked Jacob into marrying Rachels elda sis, Leah......before giving him Racheal as well......, In dis 21st century tho it doesn't matter... I'm d last born in ma family and were all gals...I av no intention of marrying yet, buh personally I would want my elda sisters to marry before me. So I'm praying hard for them, while I work on my life (skul n stuff)....

[b]Thats what we are saying!!

Its may seem okay to you people now.. But its not the ideal situation..

Call me ancient, call me bush, call me whatevers.. Point still remains that marriage in our customs and traditions (which you people seem not to have anymore regard for) remains a milestone. A milestone like when you enter secondary school, when you graduate uni, when you start walking, when you start talking and even death..

Our tradition does not support this Americana lifestyle o!

Elder sister will be in the house of the younger sister taking care of her baby for her as per Omugwo things when she has no husband or family of her own?! Thats no okay!

Go and ask every parent that has had to marry out a younger child before the older one if they were truly happy with it and you will understand where I am coming from.

There is a way that seemeth right to you young ones, but in the end.. it causes problems.

I have 3 younger sisters.. I will not stop the younger from marrying before the older one, but I will definitely make my position clearly known to al parties.. The older one goes before the younger.. thats the way it should be.

#Nuff Said.. [/b]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Straight Talk: Just For Men : Advice Women On Anything / Nairaland Most Handsome Guy,post Your Pics To Defeat Me / Reasons Not To Trust All Photos You See On The Internet(Amazing Photograhy)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.