Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,944 members, 7,883,296 topics. Date: Monday, 08 July 2024 at 08:25 AM

How Do I Handle A Stubborn Tenant That Has Refused To Move Out - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How Do I Handle A Stubborn Tenant That Has Refused To Move Out (936 Views)

Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord / Should I Give My Unfaithful Tenant An Eviction Notice? / How Do I Eject A Tenant That Have Been Staying Without Paying? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Handle A Stubborn Tenant That Has Refused To Move Out by teejayrichard: 2:07pm On Oct 10, 2013
Am teejay, live in Port harcourt,delta state. Got a call from home that one of my father's tenant in warri who happens to be a barrister has been giving my dad series of trouble and has refused to leave. My dad has served him quick notice and has even taken the case to court but the court has not done anything till date and its almost a year now..

Just got a call last week and my people told me everything. That the guy in question even insulted my dad. I will be going home to see the man and I have so many things running in my mind. Don't really know which step to take on the barrister.

If I cut off his water supply, light and every other thing in the compound, is it against the law or forcefuylly push him out of the compound..please I need your opinion on how to handle the barrister because I don't want to do something that will implicate my dad or me..
Re: How Do I Handle A Stubborn Tenant That Has Refused To Move Out by hammedkola(m): 2:19pm On Oct 10, 2013
On what ground do you want to evacuate him?

Owes rent or you just wanna send him packing?
Re: How Do I Handle A Stubborn Tenant That Has Refused To Move Out by druid06(m): 2:21pm On Oct 10, 2013
Carry thugs go beat the hell out of am. Works everytime.
Re: How Do I Handle A Stubborn Tenant That Has Refused To Move Out by hammedkola(m): 2:34pm On Oct 10, 2013
druid06: Carry thugs go beat the hell out of am. Works everytime.

"Thugs" to go beat lawyer?...Hmmmm, i'm sure you type this with ya left hand grin

1 Like

Re: How Do I Handle A Stubborn Tenant That Has Refused To Move Out by femiseun1: 3:00pm On Oct 10, 2013
I think he simply knows his way around the Nigerian judicial system where he gets long adjournment dates, compromising lawyers and raises different motions to prolong the matter in court. There are 3 ways to resolve the matter.

1. Get a good lawyer to replace the incompetent one handling the case.

2. Go and report him at the king's palace where there are true landowners and traditional chiefs (Crude but effective). They will help you out.

3. Serve him African traditional quit notice. grin

Remember to cut all amenities he is using for free (water, light etc).
Do not fight him o so that you will not land yourself in court.

All is well ...E no easy to collect house rent grin
Re: How Do I Handle A Stubborn Tenant That Has Refused To Move Out by Tuntheycr7: 3:06pm On Oct 10, 2013
femi_seun: I think he simply knows his way around the Nigerian judicial system where he gets long adjournment dates, compromising lawyers and raises different motions to prolong the matter in court. There are 2 ways

2. Go and report him at the king's palace where there are true landowners and traditional chiefs (Crude but effective). They will help you out.

3. Serve him African traditional quit notice.grin
Re: How Do I Handle A Stubborn Tenant That Has Refused To Move Out by teejayrichard: 3:22pm On Oct 10, 2013
He hasn't paid rent for a year now and he keeps causing problems in the compound..I heard he came home late one nite and broke the padlock my dad used in locking the gate..he later insulted my dad..I told a military friend of mine and he said since the guy is a lawyer and my dad has already taken the case to court that they can't involve themselves. I also spoke to the community security(called bakassi boys) and they said my dad should have brought the matter directly to him., saying the case now is in the hands of the court. From what my dad told me I feel the guy knows the lawyer my dad is using because each time they are to meet in court he won't appear..
Am looking for a hot tempered lawyer who doesn't take nonsense that can fight him. But where can I get someone like that.
Re: How Do I Handle A Stubborn Tenant That Has Refused To Move Out by Uwakuwak(f): 3:47pm On Oct 10, 2013
double wahala
Re: How Do I Handle A Stubborn Tenant That Has Refused To Move Out by Uwakuwak(f): 3:48pm On Oct 10, 2013
did ur dad offend him?
Re: How Do I Handle A Stubborn Tenant That Has Refused To Move Out by teejayrichard: 3:57pm On Oct 10, 2013
No he didn't. He is the quiet type. My dad said someone told him that's how the man behaves. He doesn't liike paying rent. Always having issues with landlords.

Sincerely even if he leaves today I won't take him out of my mind. I will haunt him when he least expect and he won't know am the one. But for now I just want to kick him out without causing any problem for my dad or myself
Re: How Do I Handle A Stubborn Tenant That Has Refused To Move Out by druid06(m): 3:59pm On Oct 10, 2013
hammedkola:

"Thugs" to go beat lawyer?...Hmmmm, i'm sure you type this with ya left hand grin

I've never been fond of lawyers. They are set of beings of their own level. Very shady and dishonest set of individuals. Always twisting the law in their favour.

There are ways to solve some situations but it involves doing things outside the book. I know this might sound inhumane but it's the only option left. Hire some thugs, let them raid his house for no reason, beat him silly , threaten him, destroy his properties including his prized possessions like his favourite car.

Also make sure to inform your hired thugs to make it look like a robbery without any involvement from you.

Do this 2-3 times randomly in a month. I'm sure he would get the hint.
Re: How Do I Handle A Stubborn Tenant That Has Refused To Move Out by omogidi234(m): 7:01pm On Oct 10, 2013
druid06:

I've never been fond of lawyers. They are set of beings of their own level. Very shady and dishonest set of individuals. Always twisting the law in their favour.

There are ways to solve some situations but it involves doing things outside the book. I know this might sound inhumane but it's the only option left. Hire some thugs, let them raid his house for no reason, beat him silly , threaten him, destroy his properties including his prized possessions like his favourite car.

Also make sure to inform your hired thugs to make it look like a robbery without any involvement from you.

Do this 2-3 times randomly in a month. I'm sure he would get the hint

Ah, please this advice is bad.

@ poster, one of the challenges we have in Nigeria is that the custodian of our laws are always twisting the law to their favour.

First, try and get a lawyer who will not compromise, tell him to file application to accelerate hearing, deposing to an affidavit with all the facts you have mentioned above. Your tenant doesn't have to attend court. You can move the court in his absence, all you need to do is serve him dates notices regularly and let there be proof of service.

Bottomline, get another lawyer and he will do the needful.
Re: How Do I Handle A Stubborn Tenant That Has Refused To Move Out by teejayrichard: 6:41am On Oct 16, 2013
What if I use a human rights activist..

(1) (Reply)

Hot Sales of Land=4 hectares,3200sq,3500sqm all At Ikate Elegunshi Lekki C PICS / 3 Nos Of 4 Bedroom Fully Detached Duplex @ Ikota Villa Estate Lekki. / Building Made Easy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.