Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,755 members, 7,875,892 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 12:53 AM

Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” (26772 Views)

The 20 Best Airlines In The World / Contact Details Of Iberia Airlines In Lagos / A Nigerian Pilot Travels From London To Abuja On His Bike! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by AGBORMAN1(m): 12:08pm On Oct 12, 2013
I always remember the day I flew "Bellview" in 2008, Lagos to London. It was total hell. The plane could not climb easily.
Just like a Molue in the sky. We started saying our last prayer. Our people like to cut-corners & don't like spending money for repairs.
Our People entrust their life to God; They don't give a Fu-ck about "book manual & instructions".
Its all about Corruption & No-money mentality. I wanted to be flying Nigerian planes, to help our Economy. I take health & safety
very serious. With KLM & B.A etc, you have more chance to get to your final destination safely.
Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by Nobody: 12:11pm On Oct 12, 2013
if you can find edward abayomi oshobu [yomi for short], he will not only overhaul nigerian airports and the airline professionalism to the american standard. he is a no nonsense man and knows the airport/airline [aviation] business. he used to own midland texas airport. it was the politics of his skin that stole the airport from him with evil game plans of throwing daughters of pretty heavy locals to finish him. i think he is in nigeria now.

no white man in aviation can do better job than this nigerian.

1 Like

Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by wickyyolo: 12:14pm On Oct 12, 2013
yunglykmine: "Airline business is not supposed to be run by black people"... Black people and the nonchalant attitudes to life-threatening issues.

That statement is an insult sha.
Racist statement. angry

But its true. Black people(in africa) have this attitude of always managing everything in a bad way.
Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by acorntree(m): 12:14pm On Oct 12, 2013
Change of attitude is what we need.its not about being black. We need orientation in all areas of our life.God bless Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by SharonA1(f): 12:21pm On Oct 12, 2013
Money first safety last they don't care about the human lives majorities of them probably bribes their way through school just to
answer the name pilot. there by putting people's lives in danger.
Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by fsb(m): 12:30pm On Oct 12, 2013
The simple truth is that the average nigerian is taught to cut corners and that reflects in everything we do whether it's in education, business, health care, government etc.

Aside cutting corners, we are also taught how to be selfish rather than selfless and that that is why every politician, civil servants, private employer or employee works not for the glory of the country but for the glory of his pocket alone.

I agree with the pilot, and with drbaby. Our problems as a nation stem from ideology ingrained in our minds as kids. If you raise a child with the notion that ibo people are bad or women from that tribe are prostitutes then all you you have succeeded in doing is transferring your small mindedness to your child and where 1,000,000 parents are teaching their kids such crap, what good can come from that generation?
Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by otiigba1(m): 12:30pm On Oct 12, 2013
agreed! infact me thinks white people should take over the whole of nigeria, they will do better job runnnig nigeria than the present crooked goverment
Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by bong4(m): 12:41pm On Oct 12, 2013
mikeoh: half back pilots......abegi when wil ASUU call this their usuall holidays...i mean strike?
Going by your spelling of simple words here...you do not qualify to call any one half baked or is it half back as you spelt. Did you say ASUU as in university? I shake my head.
Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by Dewze(m): 12:41pm On Oct 12, 2013
Skipfr: 90% of the pilots that fly d choppers of one of these International Oil companies are whites. They dnt joke with safety. If a pilot tells u he is nt flying u cant force him because its safety first or nt at all. They believe there is always time to do it right.

and who flew the Dana plane that had crashed earlier. A gray man?

1 Like

Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by otiigba1(m): 12:51pm On Oct 12, 2013
fsb: The simple truth is that the average nigerian is taught to cut corners and that reflects in everything we do whether it's in education, business, health care, government etc.

Aside cutting corners, we are also taught how to be selfish rather than selfless and that that is why every politician, civil servants, private employer or employee works not for the glory of the country but for the glory of his pocket alone.

I agree with the pilot, and with drbaby. Our problems as a nation stem from ideology ingrained in our minds as kids. If you raise a child with the notion that ibo people are bad or women from that tribe are prostitutes then all you you have succeeded in doing is transferring your small mindedness to your child and where 1,000,000 parents are teaching their kids such crap, what good can come from that generation?
GBAM! nothing but the truth!
Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by Tayeni(m): 1:04pm On Oct 12, 2013
yunglykmine: "Airline business is not supposed to be run by black people"... Black people and the nonchalant attitudes to life-threatening issues.

Racist statement. angry
when people utter such statement I get angry. But deep inside, somewhere in d crevice of my mind I find some grains of truth in it. Seems We ourselves are so determined to proove that statement right.
Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by cashkid: 1:06pm On Oct 12, 2013
[quote author=ghettodreamz]Only in Nigeria a lot of avoidable mishaps, mistakes and disasters are treated as god's act (Stella, O. 2013). When we put a square peg in a round hole due to corruptions and put lives of innocent Nigerians at the mercy of unprofessional and callous minded individuals who are only in service to feather their own nests. Need we expect anything better?

Sometimes, I wonder how Nigeria would become a changed or better country if things remain stagnant just the way they are and te this ur reference n die o
Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by Nobody: 1:07pm On Oct 12, 2013
when you consider the fact that as black people. we love abdicate all responsibility to God, are you really surprised?

there was an article of some british expat where he said nigeria was a truly classless society, where big men would be dragging for unnecessary crumbs

there's not much difference betwen the owners of the airlines and the owners or trucks or danfo buses - the same crazy cutting of corners

the best rejoinder would be that there are too many people in the airline industry who have no business being there

jimoh ibrahim is a case in point - ditto for the current crop of ibrus, who are slowly and surely destroying aero

as for arik - the pages of nairaland speak for them

2 Likes

Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by crackhaus: 1:14pm On Oct 12, 2013
Princek12: Saying that white people should run our airline industry [s]shows the inferiority complex of the pilot[/s]. The issue is that our aviation sector is run by individuals with neither aviation experience nor education in a field related to aviation.

To the contrary, we have had blacks do good jobs in running an organization, as shown by the minister of agriculture, which is a good case study. Minister Adesina has a PhD in agricultural economics and has experience running regulatory bodies pertaining to agriculture, which obviously is his passion and expertise. He is doing a good job in the Ministry of Agriculture.
The bolded is by far the most, if not all of the problem when it comes to effectively regulating, monitoring and controlling any sector in this country.
Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by Udehpaschal1(m): 1:14pm On Oct 12, 2013
Hmmmmmmmm. SMH
Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by Akainzo(m): 1:20pm On Oct 12, 2013
odedeyi01:

As most of the readers of this column would have known, I am very particular and concerned about safety and how friendly our skies are for air travel, having last year, to the glory of God, narrowly missed the Dana Air that crashed on June, 3, and my earlier experience aboard a British Airways flight from JFK, New York, to Heathrow Airport, London, in 2005 that caught fire upon take-off, but managed to make an emergency landing that was truly miraculous.

As the captain made his exit, I did an analysis on what he had just told me, and I became very afraid and angry. Why should safety in air be compromised based on the need to make profit? Why would an operator willingly put an aircraft up in the sky that he knows is not airworthy? According to sources, one of the airlines whose operational license was suspended almost had a mishap because an engine packed up on a flight from Port-Harcourt to Lagos, but thank God, the second engine was able to power the plane to landing.

I hope and pray that the regulatory agencies of the industry will put the safety of passengers first over and above all other considerations. Nigerian is adopting the best practices in so many aspects of our globalized space, and these are very heartening. We must extend same to our critical sector of aviation. Air travel is considered the safest means of transportation; it should not be a scary proposition in Nigeria.

Hope you all noticed the similarities in the bolded portions of the write-up, and also noticed that despite the British Airways situation being more gruesome, their license was never suspended. Knee-jerk reactions of the Aviation industry in Nigeria is only meant to appeal to sentiments without addressing the fundamental issues.

1 Like

Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by chessguru1(m): 1:21pm On Oct 12, 2013
Am of the opinion that the average african (not black!) Is a poor manager period.
Other societies all around the world have over time developed their own unique management culture. This is the reason why the style and to some extent philosophy of doing business differs from continent to continent.
But in nigeria, and in most parts of the africa we J̶̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊τ̲̣̣̥ can't manage (organize, etc ).
Most people will blame government, or the economy when a business collapses. I J̶̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊τ̲̣̣̥ blame the management.
The african society is too riddled with sentiments, superstition, and greed that hamper decision making.
Take a good loo'k at our indigenous companys and see how they treat there workers as opposed to multinational companys.
Here you have mangers that will give the work of 5 people to one person simply because they want to make profit.
Or will owe salaries for months simple because they know there are no jobs out their so must of their workers have no choice.
Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by Nobody: 1:25pm On Oct 12, 2013
crackhaus:
The bolded is by far the most, if not all of the problem when it comes to effectively regulating, monitoring and controlling any sector in this country.

Sure, just like when a mechanic argues with a mechanical engineer because he brought his car for him to repair. The people up there even though they are fishery graduates will always believe they are better than trained and aviation certified personel because of the little sandwish courses they have been given.
Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by Nobody: 1:32pm On Oct 12, 2013
Every black lyks cutting corners. in biz, we dont want 2 spend but we need huge profits dats why we hav a lot of adulterated guds. our igbo brodas re gud in production but why are deir products below standard? in education 2, we cut corners.
Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by olu77(m): 1:33pm On Oct 12, 2013
A player in the industry is telling us that we need white men to manage our aviation industry yet many of us are discarding it as a rasist coment. Do we often put ourselves in the shoes of those who have lost their loved ones in these frequent mishaps. Our major problem in Africa is that we don't have values for human life. We even need to employ foreign presidents and senates, like we do in football, to lead us, I'm very sure they will do much more to secure our lives and properties than all these self-centered, careless and clueless people we patronize as leaders.
Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by Nobody: 1:43pm On Oct 12, 2013
Not surprised to read this trash from our retinue of dumb slaves who still think their skin colour has anything to do with anything. It is no surprise. Afterall if you can belie.ve stup.id imported myths that claim a white man died and rose after three days before ascending into the sky on his own, how won't you believe that your skin colour has a special quality that influences your behaviour or ability? Bunch of imbeci.les. Meanwhile, no country's safety record is as bad as Russia's and some states of the former Soviet Union. Do a google on plane crashes there, and see how many mishaps and accidents they experience monthly. Oh.. and a recent study showed a disturbing number of American pilots flew their planes while drunk. Meaning no one checked them out before they were allowed to fly. Now what can we blame for this since the Russians and Americans are already white? Meanwhile accidents happen FREQUENTLY in the US, Europe and elsewhere, DAILY almost, especially involving small planes of the type that crashed in Nigeria the other day. They just don't make that big a deal of them, or cover it endlessly in the media, or blame their skin colour like some ignorant, stu.pid baboons we have here masquerading as human beings. As for the worthless "pilot" who yearns for white people, why could he not instead call for managers from Kenya Airways or Ethiopian airlines to be brought in, since those airlines have exemplary safety records comparable to the best anywhere on earth? I instead his dumb slave mind went straight to "white man". Hope I ever end up in a plane this imbecil.e is flying.

1 Like

Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by AjanleKoko: 1:49pm On Oct 12, 2013
While I sympathize with Oga pilot, it doesnt detract from the obvious truth that he has the same defeatist mindset that plagues us all.

What he can do is see how he can do better, or make impact in some role, other than whining and complaining.
I also can say the same thing about my sector but I'd rather learn the lessons I need to learn, and work towards getting to a point where I can make a difference. Sounds impossible, but think about Olikoye Ransome-Kuti and the legacies he left in the healthcare sector. Everybody needs to start thinking.

1 Like

Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by nonsookongwu(m): 1:55pm On Oct 12, 2013

Racist statement. angry
but its true........even in our road transports....we kill ourselves, all in the name of making profit
Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by rafcrown(m): 2:10pm On Oct 12, 2013
FOOLISH TALK.WHEN ARE WE GOING TO GROW AND GET THERE WHEN WE DEPEND ON OTHERS ALWAYS.
Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by bizonline1: 2:13pm On Oct 12, 2013
In naija anything goes
Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by lincolnj88: 2:42pm On Oct 12, 2013
Only the name of the pilot of the crashed plane will ring a bell dat d passengers are not safe........Abdulrahman A.
He got d signal dat d plane was not fit to takeoff e ignored fully well knowing the repercusions........abeg make una dey ask of d pilot name before una takeoff oh because we know some set of people in naija dnt fear death oh.....just saying though ,is like bokoharam has infiltrated aviation sectors to launch an air attack.....n
Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by andyanders: 3:03pm On Oct 12, 2013
oyb: when you consider the fact that as black people. we love abdicate all responsibility to God, are you really surprised?

there was an article of some british expat where he said nigeria was a truly classless society, where big men would be dragging for unnecessary crumbs

there's not much difference betwen the owners of the airlines and the owners or trucks or danfo buses - the same crazy cutting of corners

the best rejoinder would be that there are too many people in the airline industry who have no business being there

jimoh ibrahim is a case in point - ditto for the current crop of ibrus, who are slowly and surely destroying aero

as for arik - the pages of nairaland speak for them

Well spoken my brother.
Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by Sagamite(m): 3:05pm On Oct 12, 2013
Please can anyone tell me anything that Nigerians run to a world class standard.

I even dare anyone to show me a Nigerian university (the nations fountains of knowledge) that has a solid and up to par website.

Universities that have IT departments are even incompetent at building websites, you want to run airways?

The country is a disgrace and a shithole!!!

Why would anything be run well when the citizens are fucktards like Scun and Theben who would always defend being substandard?

I have actually used the airways as an example before.

https://www.nairaland.com/1448459/kenya-mall-under-attack-islamic/29#18291949
Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by Dee60: 3:11pm On Oct 12, 2013
FG will place an economist or banker in charge of finance ministry. Why not do the same for the aviation ministry? Dear President, please listen and do not play politics with human lives. It is high time we allowed a sound and experienced aviation person to manage that ministry.
Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by Nobody: 3:23pm On Oct 12, 2013
Well....I'm not 'Black'. I'm african! I'm a Nigerian and I'm dark in complexion! Maybe he is refering to charcoal or something! Nonsense! angry.

I can't believe we Africans have also adopted the word 'Black and White'. Shame!
Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by Originalsly: 3:31pm On Oct 12, 2013
That's a racist statement and a display of inferiority complex. The problem lies with the FG rules and regulations and their enforcement. What are the consequences for not adhering to the rules?...the safety standards? In developed countries they face severe penalties heavy fines for violations, groundings and revoking of licenses. In addition the airlines face lawsuits from victims of the slightest injury to death resulting from mishaps. Do these airlines have Black pilots?...yes they do. Are there any Black owned airlines that are just as safe as any other? Yes. Therefore the problem is not about being Black or White.
Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by jmoore(m): 3:53pm On Oct 12, 2013
How many people die on our roads compared to air travel? We should also allow white people to manage all car transport companies.

Why can't he demand that the colonial masters return? smh

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Police Escort On Duty Dies In Kaduna-Abuja Train / Nothing Has Changed In Ibadan (pictures Of Ibadan In 1964 And Now) / Update::kano Kofar Ruwa Beautiful Underpass

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.