Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,182 members, 7,887,426 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 08:45 AM

Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” (26793 Views)

The 20 Best Airlines In The World / Contact Details Of Iberia Airlines In Lagos / A Nigerian Pilot Travels From London To Abuja On His Bike! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by africapunch: 4:03pm On Oct 12, 2013
Finally out! i was waiting for this for sooo long sad
Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by ALTRUTH(m): 4:05pm On Oct 12, 2013
Not jst d airlines alone, Nigeria shld b recolonised. We were never ready 4 independence. I blame our founding fathers 4 wot Nigeria is today; dey were jst greedy 4 power. Let white men take over govt 4 jst 5 yrs nd u will see d difference!
Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by ALTRUTH(m): 4:10pm On Oct 12, 2013
Look at massive infrastructural development in South Africa put in place by d white man without "oyel" nd look at us today after so many yrs wit our "oyel."
Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by kabaka1: 4:38pm On Oct 12, 2013
whitecat007: Nonsense! The only reason whites are more safety conscious is the amount their insurance will have to cough up for negligence, it's not as if whites care about human lives than blacks, they simply care about their money and protecting their bottom line.
If Nigeria can make airline operators to be heavily insured, we are half way there

This is one of d most logical input I've seen from this topic. U're damn right, oyinbo doesn't care more about human safety than us rather they worried more abt liability like d insurance coverage n also d financial gloom that will befall an Airline due 2 inevitable lawsuits from victims n their family members, which usually costs an airline hundreds of millions of dollars payouts to settle if that airline is found guilty of negligence.
K, imagine d business sense of loosing hundreds of millions of dollars of an airline's revenue which took them years to make in just one day because if the stupid decisions of a pilot. That's just bad business model 4 d airline, so most of these western airlines do everything possible 2 avoid this kind of situation.

But here in naija, d Liability of making such costly mistakes is very limited. Highest penalty is that the airline's license is temporarily suspended n I'm not sure they'll pay out up to $1m to d victims n their families due 2 an accident like this.

In d west, the Agagu's son, family all d the families of victims of that plan crash 4 don hit jackpot as they'll be entitled to millions of dollars in payout because if d crash caused by d pilots mistakes.
But this is naija, the liability 4 d airlines is very limited in case of a plane crash, so they'll keep taking these kind if risks unless things changes big time in terms of their liability 4 a plane crash.

2 Likes

Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by Ugosample(m): 5:30pm On Oct 12, 2013
dridowu: Hmmmm, black man can do better than the white but d manin issue is that we (black) need some positive orientation to achieve our optimal best.
I agree with you 150% The problem with many Nigerians is that they lack POSITIVE MINDSET. If Nigerians are moved to America in droves, America will be a sh*thole because many lack the mindset and will to sustain a developed country.
Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by Ugosample(m): 5:42pm On Oct 12, 2013
fsb: The simple truth is that the average nigerian is taught to cut corners and that reflects in everything we do whether it's in education, business, health care, government etc.

Aside cutting corners, we are also taught how to be selfish rather than selfless and that that is why every politician, civil servants, private employer or employee works not for the glory of the country but for the glory of his pocket alone.

I agree with the pilot, and with drbaby. Our problems as a nation stem from ideology ingrained in our minds as kids. If you raise a child with the notion that ibo people are bad or women from that tribe are prostitutes then all you you have succeeded in doing is transferring your small mindedness to your child and where 1,000,000 parents are teaching their kids such crap, what good can come from that generation?
very true. That's what i'm talking about... Mindset. Is not as if we're the poorest in Africa, the problem is that we've lost our value system. Most Businesses don't focus on value but money. That's why in my father's construction site, the Nigerians collect 2500 daily, very lazy and they don't have that finesse. But the Togolese we later hired took 1500 gave less trouble and did a great job. If you doubt me, do your research. Such mindset must be TRASHED for development to thrive.
Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by Ugosample(m): 5:48pm On Oct 12, 2013
fsb: The simple truth is that the average nigerian is taught to cut corners and that reflects in everything we do whether it's in education, business, health care, government etc.

Aside cutting corners, we are also taught how to be selfish rather than selfless and that that is why every politician, civil servants, private employer or employee works not for the glory of the country but for the glory of his pocket alone.

I agree with the pilot, and with drbaby. Our problems as a nation stem from ideology ingrained in our minds as kids. If you raise a child with the notion that ibo people are bad or women from that tribe are prostitutes then all you you have succeeded in doing is transferring your small mindedness to your child and where 1,000,000 parents are teaching their kids such crap, what good can come from that generation?
Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by Slizbeat(m): 6:11pm On Oct 12, 2013
I don't agree with what he said at all. Must Whites do everything for us?? I personally am going to study aeronautical engineering in school but due to lack of facilities in our country at the moment, I had to opt in for anything until I could finally get there.

I know myself and I can never put the lifes of people in danger just because I need money. I have been through worst cases in life and the best I do is to quite the job if my employer wants me to do something against my own wish.

The problem here is not the Industry but the airline managers who do not comply with safety rules being placed upon them by the appropriate authorities. Ofcourse, these authorities will not go about checking every plane before take off as the airline management is to do so. Please let us imbibe that attitude of complying to every safety rules so as not to cry later on the kind of disaster which will occur due to not complying.

If we keep placing people above us and saying they are better off, then we are just being racist and shouldn't be angry when treated as such.
Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by bootlegaz: 6:13pm On Oct 12, 2013
yunglykmine: "Airline business is not supposed to be run by black people"... Black people and the nonchalant attitudes to life-threatening issues.

That statement is an insult sha.
Racist statement. angry
Why do Nigerians hate hearing the truth? You guys are quick to cry racism and forgot how you bad mouth others via tribal hate?
Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by bootlegaz: 6:15pm On Oct 12, 2013
Nigerians hate it when you tell them the truth. Americans mentality, others before me but Africans and Asians, me me me. grin grin
Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by bootlegaz: 6:21pm On Oct 12, 2013
Visit NNPC in Abuja or other indigenous Nigerian own companies . Staff are busy running personal errands. I heard some Bank managers reduced their staffers to househelp and babysitters? grin
My french African friends are very time cautious, and are very reliable.
Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by sigmundfreud(m): 6:23pm On Oct 12, 2013
No! Not black men...its people who refuse to do what they are supposed to do and come out to call their 'carelessness' an "act of God"!.
...its a BLACK MIND and not the black man.
Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by lastpage: 6:33pm On Oct 12, 2013
crackhaus: As much as I agree to an extent with everything the Captain said, I still think that as blacks, we are the ones selling ourselves short by making derogatory comments like 'white people should run this and run that'.
The problem is not that we are not capable of adherence to guidelines, rather it's that there are no stringent complications and bodies to implement them when something does go wrong.
Then again, there is the 'let me help my brother mentality' that abound in Nigeria, which is like our biggest developmental problem because this has only led to appointment of unqualified quacks in aviation control and monitoring masquerading themselves as experts and professionals.

It's not white people we need, it's an overhaul of the political structure that supports 'this na my person mentality'.

3 Gboosa for you jawee! kiss kiss

...and permit me to add that even where there are "stringent rules and bodies set-up to monitor and implement such", ..... CORRUPTION WILL BE OUR UNDOING AT THE END OF THE DAY!

It really sucks.

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by Libra9(m): 6:49pm On Oct 12, 2013
PLEASE DONT SAY BLACKS,NIGERIANS PARTICULARLY,WE ARE WICKED TO SOME EXTENT
Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by Kamenmen(m): 7:44pm On Oct 12, 2013
DC Trendy:

My brother, we re talking of proper white people, UK/US, Ca not all these chinko and Korea nah
I would put Korea.
Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by CIC10(m): 7:46pm On Oct 12, 2013
Corruption is the root of all evils in Nigeria
Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by tnktosin(m): 8:02pm On Oct 12, 2013
Skipfr: 90% of the pilots that fly d choppers of one of these International Oil companies are whites. They dnt joke with safety. If a pilot tells u he is nt flying u cant force him because its safety first or nt at all. They believe there is always time to do it right.
You're very correct my brother. I remember my first every chopper flight with Bristow helicopters in 2008, we had to disembark and board another standby chopper simply because the pilot wasn't satisfied with the preflight test result from a unit. Your guess is as good as mine, it was a white pilot although i've noticed that the younger black copilots exhibits the same safety standards as their fellow whites which prompts me to believe its more of an establishment issue. Whether we accept this fact or not, white guys are alot more safety conscious and as such foreign aviators maintain a higher safety standard. If some of these commentors above have worked with local and foreign companies am sure they'd agree that the safety standard at Lonestar is nothing compared to what's obtainable in the IOCs.
Finally, the bolded in your comment says it all. They do it safely or not at all wink
Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by Kamenmen(m): 8:04pm On Oct 12, 2013
Dont say black people say some people/many Nigerians e.t.c.
Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by Kamenmen(m): 8:26pm On Oct 12, 2013
The 3K would be sooo happy to see this post.
Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by dayour2013: 9:08pm On Oct 12, 2013
Interesting Story, but the company photograph of the 4 arik air pilots was taken in August 2007. The Captain on the extreme right passed away 4 years ago and none of the remaining 3 fly for arik today. So my question is this? what is the relevance of this photograph to this story?

1 Like

Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by delpee(f): 9:45pm On Oct 12, 2013
The Gatwick airoort in the UK is being managed by a Nigerian - Ogunlesi.
Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by Sagamite(m): 9:53pm On Oct 12, 2013
delpee: The Gatwick airoort in the UK is being managed by a Nigerian - Ogunlesi.

It is not being managed by a Nigerian.

Ogunlesi is managing the investment fund that bought it. He is an investor, not an operational manager/director.

Even if it was managed by a Nigerian, it is not being managed by Nigerians. One Nigerian being in a position is not evidence Nigerians can run things.
Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by Omotolaaraujo(f): 10:33pm On Oct 12, 2013
Training and experience are the important things for pilots. You have to be serious about safety and have a responsible attitude. I could never be a pilot. Race has nothing to do with anything.
Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by INDESTRUCTABLEX(m): 6:16am On Oct 13, 2013
handebayor: Rubbish! Inferiority complex at its peak!!, why not say they should take over the country again. Instead of proposing an overhaul of the industry and encourage more training schools and co he iz busy spewing rubbish

He didn't explicitly say that the airlines should be handle by whites. What he implied is that these people have shown sound leadership skills. Leave it or not, overhaul or not, only a few Nigerians can lead and lead well. At the present stage we are in, our guys are not fit to do anything. We always want to make excess.
Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by alstacs(m): 6:33am On Oct 13, 2013
andyanders: Some Nigerians in collaboration with some of these fraudulent Lebanese people and some coloured people pretending to be white people are killing the industry. The way we run air transport in this country is too bad. You can imagine the crashed aircraft's pilot and engineers arguing before the aircraft crashed. We are in a mess and a Minister coming to say it was an act of God is annoying.

do not completely believe all u hear in the report. this is still Nigeria and we are only told what they want us to believe. unfortunately, the pilots aren't around to refute or otherwise.
the dead must be guilty....... I believe the pilots error in that associated flight was just a small part of the reason for the crash....
Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by Kamenmen(m): 7:02am On Oct 13, 2013
If the industrial revolution/modern error had started in say Japan, and industry defining progress and moving forward/wealth, then Korean most likely would be poor and Nigeria rich/ very effective i.e if Korea followed Japanese model and was still colonised or enslaved by Japan and Nigeria remained undisturbed by Japan. Understood? No? Ok, what am talking about is what people have called ATTITUDE and Mindset. Can Nigeria/Togo/India achieve better? Yes, but it would take more effort compared to Korea or Britain. This is because there are several things working against Nigeria and not Britain. Britain is more comfortable using the resourses/technology present to advance a certian cause. So comfortable that they can stop to gauge details like morality without feeling like tey are losing profit because anyway theyve got enough petrol to catch up.*KEEP ON READING*
Ok now Nigeria. Nigeria wants to advance a certain cause. It needs to use resouses like tech but wait what is the origin of that technlgy and that system? Its from those people who attacked and stole from us(colonised) and did us wrong. So Nigeria wouldn't use the modern systems without feeling a sence of self betrayal and discomfort and that is even unconciously. Now things cant be done smoothly and fast enough. What happens next? Demoralisation/hopelessness. That coupled with some level of ignorance and confussion=Survival for the fittest(corruption, ignoring safefty for profit e.t.c). Solution for Naija; take back time or find a different way of doing things, which I dont knows hows. Understood? No?
Ok what am saying is those asking for colonisation are confused.
Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by chadnezzar0worl(m): 8:02am On Oct 13, 2013
Sincerely speaking a lot of facets and sectors of our nation would have been far better and more developed, if the whites or foreigners were in charge! Seems like we are not close to being ready to pilot our affairs, take for instance GOVT parastatals and ministries as against companies with foreign interest, d margin is too wide, come to the private sectors, it's unimaginable, though there re exception to the rules, forget sentiments and racial bla bla bla! We gotta long way to go! Make I go baffled joor go black man church
Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by pacesetter808: 9:00am On Oct 13, 2013
I pretty much agree with the captain but differ in some ways to what he believes. The problem has got absolutely nothing to do with race or skin color, the problem is the mindset of an average black man. All the things he mentioned to support his argument in favor of the white man being in charge of aviation in Nigeria are true because the white man values life above material things. Unfortunately, this is more than I can say for blacks. Also, the white man doesn't have silly superstitious beliefs which blacks have. I remember posting a comment on here about the crash when some people made ridiculous comments like "Ondo State was rejecting the body of the late governor". The white man believes in Science......2 plus 2 gives 4, not my mothers' fathers' junior sisters' aunty is against my progress and will make my plane crash should I make the mistake of flying a plane despite being a trained pilot. I don't believe any race is superior to the other, God is not a partial God. What makes the white man achieve more is their approach to things, not because the white man is more competent or a superior breed. I've worked with whites on numerous occasions and benchmarked them in performance. It's our approach we must change, I don't believe it takes the whites to head aviation in Nigeria for planes in Nigeria to be 'safe to fly' and not 'sure to die'.
Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by Alakeogun: 9:15am On Oct 13, 2013
ayusco85: I think i agree with him. With the shocking revelation that came out from the black box analysis, shows clearly the crashes we ve had in d past yrs have been our fault. Lack of professionalism and strict adherence to protocols. That "i too know syndrome" and "everything is in Gods hands attitude" is what has made our airlines flying coffins. The white men should take over and train our black brothers.
*my two cents*
We are relying on what those OLD UNREPENTANT FOOLS told us about the BLACK BOX. No one has come to think that these heartless cabals might have paid the AIPB folks to give a report that will be to their own Advantage. Does the dead speak? Will does pilots ever come out to defend themselves? No they won't. Please we demand for the recording of that conversation between the two pilots, so that nigerians will know the true situation of things. We are really tired of the lies coming from the mouth of ODUAH and her NCAA counterparts.
Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by Kamenmen(m): 12:30pm On Oct 13, 2013
Nigerians here have serious issues. Please dont insult the rest of the people.
Re: Confession Of A Nigerian Pilot -“White People Should Manage Airlines In Nigeria” by Nobody: 4:11pm On Oct 13, 2013
"Any airline that you see some expatriates fly with regularly, tells you that their employers and their embassies must have been satisfied with the auditing that those airline technical partners had carried out, because those partners will not compromise safety, neither will they cut corners unnecessarily. “

Now, that is some wisdom! Hint!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Update::kano Kofar Ruwa Beautiful Underpass / 20 Dead As Dams Burst In Bahia, Brazil As Region Hit By Floods(photos, Video) / Stop Asking Nigerians To Write IELTS (Petition)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.