Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,375 members, 7,950,790 topics. Date: Monday, 16 September 2024 at 10:11 PM

What Exactly Is "Work Out Your Salvation? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Exactly Is "Work Out Your Salvation? (2493 Views)

Gnld, Tiashi, Forever Living And Other Network Drugs Will Destroy Your Salvation / Share The Experience Of Your Salvation Here. / Why Compulsary Tithing Is Dangerous To Your Salvation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Exactly Is "Work Out Your Salvation? by Alwaystrue(f): 8:34am On Oct 15, 2013
Another scripture that Jesus spoke about concerning fruits is below:

Luke 13:6-9
6 Then Jesus told this story: “A man planted a fig tree in his garden and came again and again to see if there was any fruit on it, but he was always disappointed.

7 Finally, he said to his gardener, ‘I’ve waited three years, and there hasn’t been a single fig! Cut it down. It’s just taking up space in the garden.’

8 “The gardener answered, ‘Sir, give it one more chance. Leave it another year, and I’ll give it special attention and plenty of fertilizer.

9 If we get figs next year, fine. If not, then you can cut it down.’”

The parable above shows man was patient, then at another time his gardener said he will add fertiliser...we have been given all for life and godliness...we need to work it out so we never fall away.

The fruits we are expected to bear are the fruits of the Spirit in Galatians 5:22, one of which is love (I Cor.13) and many of these fruits come as we grow in the knowledge of God and lots of times in persecution and adversity. How do we react? In the spirit or in the flesh?
May we use the grace we already have.
Re: What Exactly Is "Work Out Your Salvation? by italo: 9:11am On Oct 15, 2013
Joagbaje: What is work out ? We go to the gym to develop our God given muscles etc. God has blessed us with everything in christ. But you must work it out by knowledge, by faith, and by acting it out.

Sir, St. Paul didnt say "work out your God-given blessings."

He said "work our your SALVATION."

They are two different things.
Re: What Exactly Is "Work Out Your Salvation? by italo: 9:16am On Oct 15, 2013
Pastor Olu T:

U are 'cos u are both xtians n are growing to maturity though our (not excluding myself) understanding might be limited now.

It is established from the scriptures that one can turn back even after the light of the truth. But that doesn't mean our friend jammyunn dont agree with this Italo?

When one is saved he is saved forever n a candidate of Heaven, the thief at the right hand of Jesus established that. But 'cos he is not translated to Heaven immediately, he continue to show that new life on earth which is where working out ur salvation comes in.

Now working out ur salvation doesn't mean u work or live right to be saved, we dont live right or work to be saved, bt rather we are saved which is why we live right n work. I think that is simple enough to understand 'cos our salvation is a free gift.

We are put here to represent Christ for as He is so are we in the world and grow to the stature of the measure of the fullness of Christ. We dont add anything to our salvation, we cant be saved more or less, we are just saved by what Christ did which is enough.

Now that we are saved we bear fruits (works) of our salvation which shows we are indeed saved, but not that we are going to be saved. We are not to live as enemy of the cross 'cos if we do we will be cast away bt God forbid.

So in conclusion the working out ur salvation is not working to be saved, bt 'cos we are saved we work it out. The Holy Ghost has already wrought salvation in us so its our duty to work it out to show we are indeed saved. Read verse 13 to get a clearer picture.

I did not quote scriptures not to make the post too long n also 'cos I am using my phone.
Scriptures to consider, my fist post.

"Cast away" from what?
Re: What Exactly Is "Work Out Your Salvation? by italo: 9:24am On Oct 15, 2013
Alwaystrue: @OP,
Working out our salvation is exercising what Christ has already given us to show we are truly His and so we do not fall. A baby needs to grow and move from taking milk to taking meat then bones. It is growing in faith...being born of water and spirit.

The scripture below highlights this:

2 Peter 1:1-11

1 This letter is from Simon Peter, a slave and apostle of Jesus Christ.
I am writing to you who share the same precious faith we have. This faith was given to you because of the justice and fairness of Jesus Christ, our God and Savior.

2 May God give you more and more grace and peace as you grow in your knowledge of God and Jesus our Lord.

By his divine power, God has given us everything we need for living a godly life. We have received all of this by coming to know him, the one who called us to himself by means of his marvelous glory and excellence.

4 And because of his glory and excellence, he has given us great and precious promises. These are the promises that enable you to share his divine nature and escape the world’s corruption caused by human desires.

5 In view of all this, make every effort to respond to God’s promises. Supplement your faith with a generous provision of moral excellence, and moral excellence with knowledge,

6 and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with patient endurance, and patient endurance with godliness,

7 and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love for everyone.

8 The more you grow like this, the more productive and useful you will be in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

9 But those who fail to develop in this way are shortsighted or blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their old sins.

10 So, dear brothers and sisters, work hard to prove that you really are among those God has called and chosen. Do these things, and you will never fall away.

11 Then God will give you a grand entrance into the eternal Kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ[/b]

It is like when Jesus spoke about the talents. Jesus has given us all we need for life and godliness, in the same way, Some exercise it and grow by gaining more but one buries his talent and does not bear fruit.(Matthew 25)
Working out our salvation is what makes us bear fruits and Jesus is returning for those who bear fruits for him (John 15:1-5).

Pastor Olu T:
Nice one, part of the scriptures I quoted earlier on.

What happens to those who are saved but do not "bear fruit" - "work out their salvation?"

Is Jesus coming for them too?
Re: What Exactly Is "Work Out Your Salvation? by jammyunn(m): 9:32am On Oct 15, 2013
italo:

Just look at the bold you wrote.

I think you might be confused. Can one that is cut-off from Christ (spiritually dead) make heaven?

Absolutely not. In fact, the Bible is full of passages that either directly or indirectly contradict this doctrine of “Once Saved, Always Saved.”

Rom 11:17-23, “But if some of the branches were broken off (the Jews), and you, a wild olive shoot (the Gentiles), were grafted in their place to share the richness of the olive tree (Jesus Christ) do not boast over the branches...For if God did not spare the natural branches, neither will He spare you...Note then the kindness and the severity of God: severity toward those who have fallen, but God’s kindness to you, provided you continue in His kindness; otherwise you too will be cut off.”
Paul is talking about how salvation has come to the Gentiles, while many of the Jews have rejected it. And he makes it very clear that once you have been grafted into Christ, you must “continue in His kindness,” or you can also be cut off. So, even after you’ve been saved, you can still be cut off from Jesus Christ.

Gal 5:1, “For freedom Christ has set us free; stand fast therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery (sin).” If once saved always saved is true, then one cannot “submit again” to a “yoke of slavery,” and Paul’s warning would make no sense.
But Paul goes on in verse 4 to say, “You are severed from Christ, you who would be justified by the law; you have fallen away from grace.” Paul is talking to Gentile Christians who had been wrongly taught by the Judaizers that they have to be circumcised and obey the Mosaic Law in order to be true Christians. Paul tells them that is false, and if they submit to circumcision and to the Old Law, they will be “severed from Christ.” If once saved always saved is true, they can’t be severed from Christ and, once again, Paul’s warning is meaningless.

Luke 15. The Prodigal Son was in his father’s house, and the father here is representative of God the Father. Then, the Prodigal Son leaves his father’s house and goes and lives a sinful life. In the end, though, he repents and returns to his father. After the Prodigal Son returns, the father says this of in verse 24: “For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found.”
In Evangelical terminology, to be dead is to be unsaved, and to be alive is to be saved. Notice very carefully, though, that the father says the son is alive “again.” In other words, the son was alive, or saved, when he was in his father’s house at the beginning of the parable; was “dead,” or unsaved, when he left his father’s house and lived in sin; then was alive again, saved again, when he repented and returned to his father’s house. Alive, dead, alive again. Saved, unsaved, saved again.
Once saved always saved? A BIG LIE!
bro, u are yet to fully understand this. To die spiritually is to stop exhibiting SOME fruits of the spirit. If we are all perfect, what's the point of Christ's dying? Romans 8:29-30 tells us, “For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.” God has chosen us beforehand.
Re: What Exactly Is "Work Out Your Salvation? by Alwaystrue(f): 9:53am On Oct 15, 2013
italo:

What happens to those who are saved but do not "bear fruit" - "work out their salvation?"

Is Jesus coming for them too?

John 15:1-2
1 “I am the true grapevine, and my Father is the gardener.
2 He cuts off every branch of MINE that doesn’t produce fruit,
and he prunes the branches that do bear fruit so they will produce even more.

It will be nice for us to study before asking questions.
If someone who is saved and is still alive on earth does not produce the fruits of the spirit as seen in vs 22 below, please what fruits will he produce knowing there is no middle ground...either it is one or the other:

Galatians 5:18-25
18 But when you are directed by the Spirit, you are not under obligation to the law of Moses.
19 When you follow the desires of your sinful nature, the results are very clear: sexual immorality, impurity, lustful pleasures,
20 idolatry, sorcery, hostility, quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambition, dissension, division,
21 envy, drunkenness, wild parties, and other sins like these. Let me tell you again, as I have before, that anyone living that sort of life will not inherit the Kingdom of God.

22 But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
23 gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!
24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have nailed the passions and desires of their sinful nature to his cross and crucified them there.
25 Since we are living by the Spirit, let us follow the Spirit’s leading in every part of our lives.

NL that is a faceless forum is a very good place to have an idea of those who exhibit the fruits of the flesh as seen and those that exhibit the fruits of the Spirit from how they post and respond.

Remember Judas was also called of the Lord and Master Jesus but he did not abide.
Re: What Exactly Is "Work Out Your Salvation? by italo: 10:28am On Oct 15, 2013
jammyunn: bro, u are yet to fully understand this. To die spiritually is to stop exhibiting SOME fruits of the spirit. If we are all perfect, what's the point of Christ's dying? Romans 8:29-30 tells us, “For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.” God has chosen us beforehand.

Dear Christian,

Could you please stop being dubious?

Spiritual death is the opposite of eternal life.

If you are "cut off" - "spiritually dead," you cannot have eternal life.

Once saved always saved is a big lie!
Re: What Exactly Is "Work Out Your Salvation? by italo: 10:30am On Oct 15, 2013
Alwaystrue:

John 15:1-2
1 “I am the true grapevine, and my Father is the gardener.
2 He cuts off every branch of MINE that doesn’t produce fruit,
and he prunes the branches that do bear fruit so they will produce even more.

It will be nice for us to study before asking questions.
If someone who is saved and is still alive on earth does not produce the fruits of the spirit as seen in vs 22 below, please what fruits will he produce knowing there is no middle ground...either it is one or the other:

Galatians 5:18-25
18 But when you are directed by the Spirit, you are not under obligation to the law of Moses.
19 When you follow the desires of your sinful nature, the results are very clear: sexual immorality, impurity, lustful pleasures,
20 idolatry, sorcery, hostility, quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambition, dissension, division,
21 envy, drunkenness, wild parties, and other sins like these. Let me tell you again, as I have before, that anyone living that sort of life will not inherit the Kingdom of God.

22 But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
23 gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!
24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have nailed the passions and desires of their sinful nature to his cross and crucified them there.
25 Since we are living by the Spirit, let us follow the Spirit’s leading in every part of our lives.

NL that is a faceless forum is a very good place to have an idea of those who exhibit the fruits of the flesh as seen and those that exhibit the fruits of the Spirit from how they post and respond.

Remember Judas was also called of the Lord and Master Jesus but he did not abide.

I think we are saying the same thing.

Once saved IS NOT always saved.
Re: What Exactly Is "Work Out Your Salvation? by PastorOluT(m): 10:35am On Oct 15, 2013
italo:

"Cast away" from what?

Cast away, alwaystrue has quoted the scripture in John 15. Dont stress urself over nothing, once u are genuinely saved u are saved, bt if u decide to turn back n be damned its ur choice.
Re: What Exactly Is "Work Out Your Salvation? by italo: 10:52am On Oct 15, 2013
Pastor Olu T:

Cast away, alwaystrue has quoted the scripture in John 15. Dont stress urself over nothing, once u are genuinely saved u are saved, bt if u decide to turn back n be damned its ur choice.

Once saved can still decide to be damned by returning to sin.

Yes or No?
Re: What Exactly Is "Work Out Your Salvation? by PastorOluT(m): 11:09am On Oct 15, 2013
italo:

Once saved can still decide to be damned by returning to sin.

Yes or No?
Yes, smile.

A question for u too, once saved is he saved or would only be saved when he gets to some level of righteousness. Yes or No?
Re: What Exactly Is "Work Out Your Salvation? by italo: 11:21am On Oct 15, 2013
Pastor Olu T:
Yes, smile.

A question for u too, once saved is he saved or would only be saved when he gets to some level of righteousness. Yes or No?

Once saved; we are made righteous; we are saved.

But we have to continue to be righteous by doing good and avoiding sin so that we do not lose our righteousness and salvation.

I hope my point is clear enough.

God bless you.
Re: What Exactly Is "Work Out Your Salvation? by jammyunn(m): 11:53am On Oct 15, 2013
italo:

Dear Christian,

Could you please stop being dubious?

Spiritual death is the opposite of eternal life.

If you are "cut off" - "spiritually dead," you cannot have eternal life.

Once saved always saved is a big lie!
Do you know that Moses died both physically and spiritually? Did he not make heaven? My brother I believe john 3:16.
Re: What Exactly Is "Work Out Your Salvation? by italo: 1:58pm On Oct 15, 2013
jammyunn: Do you know that Moses died both physically and spiritually? Did he not make heaven? My brother I believe john 3:16.

Amen, I believe it too. But it doesnt say that whoever believes in him yet goes back to sin will have everlasting life.

You disbelieve this verse abi? Or you are looking for a way to twist it.

"For if we wilfully persist in sin after having received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a fearful prospect of judgment, and a fury of fire that will consume the adversaries" (Heb. 10, 26-27).

Stop being a hypocrite! Mortal sin separates the soul from God.

Once saved can still be damned!
Re: What Exactly Is "Work Out Your Salvation? by jammyunn(m): 3:16pm On Oct 15, 2013
italo:

Amen, I believe it too. But it doesnt say that whoever believes in him yet goes back to sin will have everlasting life.

You disbelieve this verse abi? Or you are looking for a way to twist it.

"For if we wilfully persist in sin after having received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a fearful prospect of judgment, and a fury of fire that will consume the adversaries" (Heb. 10, 26-27).

Stop being a hypocrite! Mortal sin separates the soul from God.

Once saved can still be damned!
I never in any of my posts say a saved person can go on sinning. Even if he sins and ask for forgiveness, there's an advocate for us. Do you know you sin always that you don't even know? Does it mean you're not saved? Let God be the judge.
Re: What Exactly Is "Work Out Your Salvation? by italo: 5:19pm On Oct 15, 2013
jammyunn: I never in any of my posts say a saved person can go on sinning. Even if he sins and ask for forgiveness, there's an advocate for us. Do you know you sin always that you don't even know? Does it mean you're not saved? Let God be the judge.

Oh! You have suddenly remembered that God should be the judge.

Why then have you been judging that all who believe are heaven-bound?

Friend, just admit that you are wrong. Even St. Paul was saved but he was still worried about been disqualified.

Once saved always saved na lie.

No other name for lie.
Re: What Exactly Is "Work Out Your Salvation? by jammyunn(m): 6:17pm On Oct 15, 2013
italo:

Oh! You have suddenly remembered that God should be the judge.

Why then have you been judging that all who believe are heaven-bound?

Friend, just admit that you are wrong. Even St. Paul was saved but he was still worried about been disqualified.

Once saved always saved na lie.

No other name for lie.
then john 3:16 can never be true according to you.
Re: What Exactly Is "Work Out Your Salvation? by italo: 7:06pm On Oct 15, 2013
jammyunn: then john 3:16 can never be true according to you.

I thought you said let God be the judge when you couldnt find a way to twist the verse i showed you; now you are back trying to judge while still ignoring that Bible verse.

It seems like you are just too ashamed to admit that you are wrong.

Okay, you win. Are you happy now.

Once you believe in Christ, you will go to heaven even if you go on a suicide bombing mission and blow up 2000 people.

Congratulations!
Re: What Exactly Is "Work Out Your Salvation? by jammyunn(m): 7:58pm On Oct 15, 2013
italo:

I thought you said let God be the judge when you couldnt find a way to twist the verse i showed you; now you are back trying to judge while still ignoring that Bible verse.

It seems like you are just too ashamed to admit that you are wrong.

Okay, you win. Are you happy now.

Once you believe in Christ, you will go to heaven even if you go on a suicide bombing mission and blow up 2000 people.

Congratulations!
I'm not here to argue because the Bible admonishes that we avoid that when it comes to the word. May God guide us all.
Re: What Exactly Is "Work Out Your Salvation? by Alwaystrue(f): 9:25pm On Oct 15, 2013
jammyunn: then john 3:16 can never be true according to you.
To truly understand what the 'BELIEVE' and having faith in Jesus means please study the scriptures:
John 5:24; John 14:23-24; James 2:19-20; James 1:22-24; Luke 6:46, 47.
Re: What Exactly Is "Work Out Your Salvation? by italo: 2:34am On Oct 16, 2013
Alwaystrue:
To truly understand what the 'BELIEVE' and having faith in Jesus means please study the scriptures:

Experience has taught me that he will only look for a way to twist those verses to suit his own false doctrine. If he cant twist it because it is very clear, he'll pretend he didnt see it. That's why I didnt bother showing him those and many more.

Perhaps the one verse that speaks most directly to him is

James 2:20: "You foolish person, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless?"
Re: What Exactly Is "Work Out Your Salvation? by jammyunn(m): 5:19am On Oct 16, 2013
italo:

Experience has taught me that he will only look for a way to twist those verses to suit his own false doctrine. If he cant twist it because it is very clear, he'll pretend he didnt see it. That's why I didnt bother showing him those and many more.

Perhaps the one verse that speaks most directly to him is

James 2:20: "You foolish person, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless?"
ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works.
Re: What Exactly Is "Work Out Your Salvation? by jammyunn(m): 5:34am On Oct 16, 2013
Alwaystrue:
The Greek word we translate “Believe” is found in Strong’s Concordance # 4100. The word is pisteuo (pist-yoo’-o). It is used as a verb and it comes from the same root as the word “faith.” It means: to believe in, to trust in, and to rely upon.

Double checking for accuracy I looked up the word “believe” in the Zondervan Biblical encyclopedia. It said, “See faith.” Read Hebrews 11:6, Matthew 9:28-29. Sister, salvation comes by faith(believing) and NOTHING more.
Re: What Exactly Is "Work Out Your Salvation? by italo: 12:48pm On Oct 16, 2013
I wasnt talking to you o. I was talking to Alwaystrue.

Like I told you earlier. You win...so that you can be happy.

You say that a person that believes in Jesus but goes on to commit all the worst sins in the world is still destined for heaven.

Fine.

jammyunn: ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works.
Re: What Exactly Is "Work Out Your Salvation? by Alwaystrue(f): 1:12pm On Oct 16, 2013
Take it easy guys. Lol.

Belief has to be total. It is hypocritical to believe something or someone only in part, not to even talk of Believing in Jesus.
You either believe ALL or believe NONE.
No lukewarmness/siting on teh fence and this is what Jesus hates.

Our prayer should be for humility to ask for help if we are exercising any unbelief.
Re: What Exactly Is "Work Out Your Salvation? by jammyunn(m): 2:20pm On Oct 16, 2013
italo: I wasnt talking to you o. I was talking to Alwaystrue.

Like I told you earlier. You win...so that you can be happy.

You say that a person that believes in Jesus but goes on to commit all the worst sins in the world is still destined for heaven.

Fine.

Exodus 20:16 - Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
Re: What Exactly Is "Work Out Your Salvation? by jammyunn(m): 2:28pm On Oct 16, 2013
Alwaystrue: Take it easy guys. Lol.

Belief has to be total. It is hypocritical to believe something or someone only in part, not to even talk of Believing in Jesus.
You either believe ALL or believe NONE.
No lukewarmness/siting on teh fence and this is what Jesus hates.

Our prayer should be for humility to ask for help if we are exercising any unbelief.
[The jailer] "brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house" (Acts 16:30-31). Salvation requires only ONE thing. May God guide us all.
Re: What Exactly Is "Work Out Your Salvation? by italo: 3:41pm On Oct 16, 2013
jammyunn: Exodus 20:16 - Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.

Ah-ah!

Okay. If a person believes in Christ, but continues to live in the worst sins, and he dies in his sins, is he still destined for heaven or is he not?

Please just give a clear honest answer.
Re: What Exactly Is "Work Out Your Salvation? by Alwaystrue(f): 3:56pm On Oct 16, 2013
jammyunn: [The jailer] "brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house" (Acts 16:30-31). Salvation requires only ONE thing. May God guide us all.

Yes you are very correct. Salvation requires BELIEF.

When you believe in Jesus do you believe all He says as well? Please define this 'believe' because I think that is where the issue is?

How do you believe someone without believing what He says?! So what are you even believing?

How did the jailer know he needed salvation? Salvation from what?

If someone is saved, what is he saved from? How does he know he needs to be saved? Is salvation just like having a certificate which you acquire and keep without knowing why you acquired it?

If you are saved, do you willingly go back to what previously made you unsaved and just flash your 'certificate of salvation' as a right?

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Is "Work Out Your Salvation? by Syncan(m): 4:22pm On Oct 16, 2013
double post.
Re: What Exactly Is "Work Out Your Salvation? by Syncan(m): 4:28pm On Oct 16, 2013
jammyunn: ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works.

Oga jammyunn, sorry o, no vex, is what you quoted above meant to cancel out the below?

italo:

Re: What Exactly Is "Work Out Your Salvation? by jammyunn(m): 5:09pm On Oct 16, 2013
2 Timothy 2:23, Titus 3:9. I think I'm done with this.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

see what d bible says about Calling Of Pastors "Daddy" A Must Read / The Answer For A Guilty Conscience - Joseph Prince / Let's Pray For Pastor Tim Omotoso,

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.