Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,394 members, 7,917,246 topics. Date: Saturday, 10 August 2024 at 08:50 PM

Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? (24610 Views)

Ladies! When You Are Praying For A Husband And You Finally Got This / General Yakubu Gowon In 1973 Shaking Hands With Baby Justin Trudeau / Shaking Hands Experience Nawadays (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Nobody: 6:45pm On Oct 15, 2013
Mynd_44:
Don't take it personal. A lot of people can't see beyond their nose even if they are given telescopes.

Ladies do it too BTW, they might walk into a room full of people and choose to ignore everyone except the person they came to see.
This is different though. If a guy walk into a room full of strangers and decides to greet the only person he knows, it wouldn't be necessarily bad as it could translate to him being rude or just shy.

The issue here is deciding to greet strangers but ignoring the opposite gender or choosing to acknowledge the opposite sexx after greeting the supposedly "superior" gender. To be honest, I have never noticed this.
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by veave(f): 6:46pm On Oct 15, 2013
They ignore me too. i believe they do it when the girl(s) are breathtaking...

I dont mind most times cus i believe wen a guy does it, maybe i intimidate him and he doesnt want to embarass himself. thank you...
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Donkarizma: 6:48pm On Oct 15, 2013
Most guys do it and i am nt an exception.I do greet my guys first and than greet the lady or ladies without shaking there hands, especially when the lady is a stranger.But if i know the lady i will shake her hand or hug her. I believe its a personal thing and has nothing to do with being shy.

3 Likes

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Nobody: 6:49pm On Oct 15, 2013
Well, not all men do that. I noticed that women, especially black women are sometimes reluctant to shake hands though. If you offer them handshake, they shake it casually, without the grip.

Maybe some of our women aren't used to the corporate world, where deals are sealed with handshake and warm smiles..... grin grin grin

I love handshakes though, it reaffirms bond and lessens any tension. wink wink

3 Likes

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Nobody: 6:50pm On Oct 15, 2013
yes i've always never understood it. A guy came not quite long, i was the only girl seated with four other boys. He waved his hand at me and said hello, and then shook hands with the guys. Tho not all guys do it, some will simply shake hands with everybody round, whether male or female

2 Likes

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Parvenu8: 6:52pm On Oct 15, 2013
Is because men are more superior than women and dat iz why they are been honour before their female
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by E10Billions(m): 6:55pm On Oct 15, 2013
uj_sizzle:

I tell them i don't hug men but shake their hands.

U are the type that will tell a husband that what he will do,u can do it more better.Dey dere de form "i too hard to get' while ur mates are getting married every saturday.

8 Likes

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by 3ace(m): 6:57pm On Oct 15, 2013
Some of them don't like it. They respond to your handshake as if you were some kind of shit. Common amongst those who feel they are sophisticated.

1 Like

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by GooseBaba: 6:58pm On Oct 15, 2013
Sllowppoisoon: Not all ladies accept handshake(most ladies dat do accept handshake frm guys are ugly tongue ) ,, sum guys jus dnt wanna disgrace themselves... undecided

You have spoken well. I rather do what I can live with. If I attempt to extend a handshake to a lady and he gives me the tip of her fingers, I have myself to blame. I would rather give a wave, verbal greetings and a nod to a lady and keep it moving. That I can live with, even if I am accused of being rude.

I rather not set myself up and receive "I don't shake hands" . At least if a guy says I don't shake hands I can always yab the bagger..

5 Likes

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by UjSizzle(f): 6:59pm On Oct 15, 2013
£10Billions:
U are the type that will tell a husband that what he will do,u can do it more better.Dey dere de form "i too hard to get' while ur mates are getting married every saturday.
Read your post again slowly and ask yourself if you sounded remotely like you're sensible.

8 Likes

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by richieadams(m): 7:00pm On Oct 15, 2013
becuase if u shake hands with them they might start disrepecting u

1 Like

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by E10Billions(m): 7:01pm On Oct 15, 2013
veave: They ignore me too. i believe they do it when the girl(s) are breathtaking...

I dont mind most times cus i believe wen a guy does it, maybe i intimidate him and he doesnt want to embarass himself. thank you...
What do u know? How will u feel if I shake hand with u? Hug thing or side kiss all the way.abeg, i wan finish watch Ghana raping Egypt by 5gls to 1
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by slap1(m): 7:01pm On Oct 15, 2013
I shake hands with women. Unless they reject it and maybe want a hug or something else.
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by UjSizzle(f): 7:03pm On Oct 15, 2013
Parvenu8: Is because men are more superior than women and dat iz why they are been honour before their female
undecided *face palm*
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by E10Billions(m): 7:05pm On Oct 15, 2013
uj_sizzle:
Read your post again slowly and ask yourself if you sounded remotely like you're sensible.
No u are.if I slap u from here,that attitude will rush out.

7 Likes

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by UjSizzle(f): 7:05pm On Oct 15, 2013
richieadams: becuase if u shake hands with them they might start disrepecting u
This isn't much of a reason, but it sure beats some of the random stewpidity displayed here so far.
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by crackhaus: 7:05pm On Oct 15, 2013
This is not even an issue, because it is neither a culture thing nor is it disrespectful to shake the hands of men and not that of women.
Situations like this are peculiar to different gatherings.

If I were to walk in on people gathered and if they were all in my age bracket or social status, of course it's normal to acknowledge the men first by shaking hands. The only time I shake the woman's hand in the group is when she is introduced to me by whomever she's with. If there are no introductions, I just acknowledge her presence with a slight wave, head movement and a warm smile.

In another situation when the woman or women are elderly or really older than I, of course the greeting goes to them first (but still not a hand shake), just the normal 'Good day madam'.

The courtesy of a hand shake between a man and a woman is a formality usually performed after an introduction has been made by another person (male or female) in the group.

Hugs are only between you and a woman you already know (still after you shake hands with the men in the group), that's just the way it is.

6 Likes

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Haywhymido(m): 7:06pm On Oct 15, 2013
I don't shake ladies. Wen we r exchange greetings all i give 'em is a warm smile. Which i knw most of my female frds lyks thank u.

1 Like

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by UjSizzle(f): 7:07pm On Oct 15, 2013
£10Billions:
No u are.if I slap u from here,that attitude will rush out.
Confirmed. Teenager *rolls eye* Run along now, i've given u enough attention to last you a lifetime.
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Nobody: 7:09pm On Oct 15, 2013
crackhaus:
If I were to walk in on people gathered and if they were all in my age bracket or social status, of course it's normal to acknowledge the men first by shaking hands.

If it's not a cultural thing, why is it normal to acknowledge the men first in your age bracket or social status??

1 Like

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by E10Billions(m): 7:11pm On Oct 15, 2013
slap1: I Unless they reject it and maybe want a hug or something else.
Some thing else like what Ogbeni?
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by E10Billions(m): 7:11pm On Oct 15, 2013
slap1: I shake hands with women. Unless they reject it and maybe want a hug or something else.
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Nobody: 7:14pm On Oct 15, 2013
Ignore ladies? Never

Greet the guys first? always

1 Like

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by nolia66(f): 7:16pm On Oct 15, 2013
Me personally I dnt think its nice,dey just shake der fellow dudes n act like ure nt even der..I knw dey say its d culture but 2 b honest its quite chauvinistic...I tink we all shld b equal 2 an extent,we r in an advanced world nw,if as a woman I work n bring part of d bacon 2 d table which wasn't d culture b4 I dnt knw y I cnt b acknowledged as a woman nw wen in a gathering amongst men,it won't make any1 less of a man...it just shows hw much of a man u r.

2 Likes

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by E10Billions(m): 7:18pm On Oct 15, 2013
uj_sizzle:
Confirmed. Teenager *rolls eye* Run along now, i've given u enough attention to last you a lifetime.
Do u still have teenagers in ur village? U need to see a Doctor.

2 Likes

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by ceeceeco: 7:20pm On Oct 15, 2013
Mynd_44:
Don't take it personal. A lot of people can't see beyond their nose even if they are given telescopes.

Ladies do it too BTW, they might walk into a room full of people and choose to ignore everyone except the person they came to see.
The reason 4 such attitude is shame & pride.
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by crackhaus: 7:21pm On Oct 15, 2013
Wu Zetian:

If it's not a cultural thing, why is it normal to acknowledge the men first in your age bracket or social status??
Because we are the same sex

1 Like

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Nobody: 7:24pm On Oct 15, 2013
Just to avoid this. I'd rather ignore undecided

Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Nobody: 7:24pm On Oct 15, 2013
crackhaus:
Because we are the same sex
So you acknowledge the men first because they belong to the same sexx as you?? Isn't that sexist?
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Boss13: 7:26pm On Oct 15, 2013
Some ladies do not understand that it's wrong for a man to stretch his hands before her except in corporate environment where everyone is considered the same. It's called etiquette.

The lady should show readiness to accept but in our case u find a lady starring @ you in the eyes and other times her hands behind her back or holding a heavy duty hand bag.
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Nobody: 7:27pm On Oct 15, 2013
I dnt like it when a guy shake ♍ƺ,sum guys dnt even knw how 2 shake itz either dey hold ur hand limply or shake it vigorously like han han kilode.back 2 d matter sum guys are jez plain rude coz there iz dis type of mentally dey hv dat men are diff 4rm gals U̶̲̥̅̊ knw like gals are 2 be seen aπϑ nt 2 be hrd
Re: Men Ignore Ladies When Shaking Hands - Why? by Nobody: 7:28pm On Oct 15, 2013
I dnt like it when a guy shake ♍ƺ,sum guys dnt even knw how 2 shake itz either dey hold ur hand limply or shake it vigorously like han han kilode.back 2 d matter sum guys are jez plain rude coz there iz dis type of mentality dey hv dat men are diff 4rm gals U̶̲̥̅̊ knw like gals are 2 be seen aπϑ nt 2 be hrd

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

U.N Suspends Food Distribution As IDPs Attack Them For Giving Them Small Food / The Long Snake I Killed Today....... / What Are Your Views On Homosexuality?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.