Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,563 members, 7,972,109 topics. Date: Friday, 11 October 2024 at 12:22 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 - Travel (199) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 (461964 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (196) (197) (198) (199) (200) (201) (202) ... (501) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Graviton2(m): 10:21pm On Jun 28, 2014
zeezahbee: boss, I got something but bit expensive sha, will buzz you to explain the package.

Okay. I trust you. cheesy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Graviton2(m): 10:23pm On Jun 28, 2014
Slimmy, where is my free internet data? angry

Shebi you think say I forget, I no dey forget that kind thing.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 10:25pm On Jun 28, 2014
Idazbawz: undecided is dis a joke?
bro..you seem to have sent me a private mail on nairaland..i can't see it in my box..probably due to their upgrading.
Send me a mail directly here xron606 AT GMAIL DOT COM.
Notify me here..when you do..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 10:26pm On Jun 28, 2014
PhD admission is good. Once your cgpa and GRE results are good, you have a chance of getting admitted. Not all that applied get admitted as they have slots which are quite few. Funding/ grant is not for all. There are some schools willing to give you admission without funding, but would not advice you to venture into it as its very expensive.

PhD admission has a high chance of funding. I see no reason going for PhD without funding.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 10:29pm On Jun 28, 2014
Graviton v.2.0.:
Slimmy, where is my free internet data? angry

Shebi you think say I forget, I no dey forget that kind thing.
See this elephant wey no dey forget. grin now how we go do am? I go need to get the data on someone's line and the person would transfer to others. 100mb each. grin walspring, godG tongue just 5 person

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Graviton2(m): 10:30pm On Jun 28, 2014
slimmy05: PhD admission is good. Once your cgpa and GRE results are good, you have a chance of getting admitted. Not all that applied get admitted as they have slots which are quite few. Funding/ grant is not for all. There are some schools willing to give you admission without funding, but would not advice you to venture into it as its very expensive.

PhD admission has a high chance of funding. I see no reason going for PhD without funding.

Tell them, Slimmy.

This is the biggest joke since 5pain was washed out of the World cup - The possibility of getting funding and admission for a PhD program is 90%...sorry, 100% grin

Lol. I don laugh tire for here walahi. Some peeps try too hard. Smh
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 10:30pm On Jun 28, 2014
Please..friends,not again.
Some weeks ago it was an argument about when to print an SOA..etc..
Today its about the PHD funding..It's already creating confusion..can we ease a little bit on this topic.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by calmdown: 10:30pm On Jun 28, 2014
Graviton v.2.0.:

Sorry, I will not take your word for it. I have seen a couple of PHd students without funding, saying it is 100% is as ridiculous as it gets.

What did you use as a criteria to make such assumptions?

I wasn't making any assumption. I am talking base on fact! PhD is more or less a work you leave your house to do everyday. Admission to PhD has also been called graduate recruitment. Any US school that will not fund your PhD program will not admit you in the first place. The students are more often referred to as PhD candidate. You might have mistook an MS Student for a PhD or you probably not talking about PhD in the US. One of the schools, where I had applied for a PhD rejected my application from waitlist simply because there was no fund available to take more applicants. I have more than 20 friends who are currently in their PhD programs and all of them have 100% funding. I rest my case.... Sleeping!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by juntod: 10:31pm On Jun 28, 2014
Graviton v.2.0.:

You have been jawing all day. I asked you a simple question and you've yet to give a satisfactory response.

Just so you know, I don't give a hoot what you think of me.

Educate yourself. Take a look at this link from the paragraph that says funding your studies. It clearly says the majority of PhD students in science and engineering will get significant amounts of funding and roughly half of students doing an arts-based qualification will.

http://www.findaphd.com/study-abroad/america/phd-study-in-usa.aspx
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 10:32pm On Jun 28, 2014
Slimmy..you exempted me abi?Daris God ooohhh!All these data mb..you're sharing daris God ooohhh!(Cry continues...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Graviton2(m): 10:36pm On Jun 28, 2014
calmdown:

I wasn't making any assumption. I am talking base on fact! PhD is more or less a work you leave your house to do everyday. Admission to PhD has also been called graduate recruitment. Any US school that will not fund your PhD program will not admit you in the first place. The students are more often referred to as PhD candidate. You might have mistook an MS Student for a PhD or you probably not talking about PhD in the US. One of the schools, where I had applied for a PhD rejected my application from waitlist simply because there was no fund available to take more applicants. I have more than 20 friends who are currently in their PhD programs and all of them have 100% funding. I rest my case.... Sleeping!

I mistook a masters student for a PhD student? Ok. Your joke was funny. Continue sleeping. Lmao!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by juntod: 10:37pm On Jun 28, 2014
slimmy05: PhD admission is good. Once your cgpa and GRE results are good, you have a chance of getting admitted. Not all that applied get admitted as they have slots which are quite few. Funding/ grant is not for all. There are some schools willing to give you admission without funding, but would not advice you to venture into it as its very expensive.

You cannot be doing PhD in a S.T.E.M program in the US and not get funding. I have never seen. Except its a profit making mushroom school that just wants your tuition. You can't even find PhD in STEM programs in such schools. Quote me wrong anywhere.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Walspring: 10:37pm On Jun 28, 2014
slimmy05: I am very much aware of this. Born and bred in Lagos. What I need is a cheap hotel at Obalende.

You can get that around mosalasi street which is not far from the UBA bank after NPF microfinance building.

slimmy05: Cant wait to drop my good news grin

Wishing you God's favor, grace and mercy.. best of luck and Onelove!!!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 10:38pm On Jun 28, 2014
Gravition..you're bigger than all this quit it..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 10:39pm On Jun 28, 2014
calmdown:

I wasn't making any assumption. I am talking base on fact! PhD is more or less a work you leave your house to do everyday. Admission to PhD has also been called graduate recruitment. Any US school that will not fund your PhD program will not admit you in the first place. The students are more often referred to as PhD candidate. You might have mistook an MS Student for a PhD or you probably not talking about PhD in the US. One of the schools, where I had applied for a PhD rejected my application from waitlist simply because there was no fund available to take more applicants. I have more than 20 friends who are currently in their PhD programs and all of them have 100% funding.
You have a valid point. But mind you, PhD admission have few slots unlike masters. Funding is very possible, but not all would give you funding. But they will not advice you venture into it. You will get some sort of funding, but might end up paying tuition.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Walspring: 10:40pm On Jun 28, 2014
slimmy05: See this elephant wey no dey forget. grin now how we go do am? I go need to get the data on someone's line and the person would transfer to others. 100mb each. grin walspring, godG tongue just 5 person

No mind them joor dem no dey forget things like that grin grin grin grin.. Thanks for the mb.. now who will receive the mb and transfer it oooo

Me waiting oooo
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 10:42pm On Jun 28, 2014
juntod:

You cannot be doing PhD in a S.T.E.M program in the US and not get funding. I have never seen. Except its a profit making mushroom school that just wants your tuition. You can't even find PhD in STEM programs in such schools. Quote me wrong anywhere.
Now you're contradicting the whole issue. STEM again, they have PhD in other fields as well now. Please, let's drop this issue.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Graviton2(m): 10:43pm On Jun 28, 2014
juntod:

Educate yourself. Take a look at this link from the paragraph that says funding your studies. It clearly says the majority of PhD students in science and engineering will get significant amounts of funding and roughly half of students doing an arts-based qualification will.

http://www.findaphd.com/study-abroad/america/phd-study-in-usa.aspx

Ok. I read your link.

So in your understanding, majority equals exactly 90 percent, Am I right? Smh.

Like I pointed earlier, I am very well aware that MOST PhD students get funding, it is common knowledge...but 90% is a high panel to be seen as the possibility to get these funding. I know of PhD students who did not get any form of funding. Go to the indian forum (I can't find the particular link though).
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by exxy(m): 10:45pm On Jun 28, 2014
@walspring, You have a pm
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Graviton2(m): 10:48pm On Jun 28, 2014
slimmy05: See this elephant wey no dey forget. grin now how we go do am? I go need to get the data on someone's line and the person would transfer to others. 100mb each. grin walspring, godG tongue just 5 person

How we go take do am? I dey ever ready!

*Awaiting command
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by juntod: 10:48pm On Jun 28, 2014
slimmy05: Now you're contradicting the whole issue. STEM again, they have PhD in other fields as well now. Please, let's drop this issue.

Like I said earlier on, I was only advising a pharmaceutical student based on his concerns and inquiry on this forum. [s]I see no reason why a school will fund a PhD student in Philosophy, history or the likes. [/s]
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Walspring: 10:49pm On Jun 28, 2014
exxy: @walspring, You have a pm

I've replied your mail
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by juntod: 10:51pm On Jun 28, 2014
Graviton v.2.0.:

Ok. I read your link.

So in your understanding, majority equals exactly 90 percent, Am I right? Smh.

Like I pointed earlier, I am very well aware that MOST PhD students get funding, it is common knowledge...but 90% is a high panel to be seen as the possibility to get these funding. I know of PhD students who did not get any form of funding. Go to the indian forum (I can't find the particular link though).

A pharmaceutical student admitted into PhD directly from BSc has 100% chance of getting funding. Don't jump into a forum and argue after reading one post. Follow the flow.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 10:54pm On Jun 28, 2014
juntod:

Like I said earlier on, I was only advising a pharmaceutical student based on his concerns and inquiry on this forum. I see no reason why a school will fund a PhD student in Philosophy, history or the likes.
Why? Is that an insult or a joke? What do you know about history or philosophy?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 10:56pm On Jun 28, 2014
Graviton v.2.0.:

How we go take do am? I dey ever ready!

*Awaiting command
OK. You have an etisalat line right. Inbox me the Num.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by juntod: 10:57pm On Jun 28, 2014
slimmy05: Why? Is that an insult or a joke? What do you know about history or philosophy?

Hahahaah.. Sorry oh.. Go and get your funding..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 11:01pm On Jun 28, 2014
juntod:

Hahahaah.. Sorry oh.. Go and get your funding..
Such comments are derogatory especially when you seem not to have single idea of what it entails. Please, refrain from making such comments, you might begin to change peoples perspective of what information you wield as an elite
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Idazbawz(m): 11:04pm On Jun 28, 2014
Juntod n Graviton,

Juntod made mention of 90% doesn't exactly mean 90%.... the mssg he passed was most, if not all, PhD candidates get funding… I actually don't see anything wrong with dat.

To the best of my knowledge, most PhD candidates get funding....

I know about 5 Phd cands in the states, n they all got funded throughout their PhD life....

Whenever I hear about PhD, I think about freebies....
So, any PhD candidate dat didn't get funding probably feel like spending his money (O.B.O)

Please let's leave this argument, n carry on!!!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 11:05pm On Jun 28, 2014
Juntod, you know am still a learner, let me stamp my kpali then you would know what's up.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by juntod: 11:08pm On Jun 28, 2014
Idazbawz: Juntod n Graviton,

Juntod made mention of 90% doesn't exactly mean 90%.... the mssg he passed was most, if not all, PhD candidates get funding… I actually don't see anything wrong with dat.

To the best of my knowledge, most PhD candidates get funding....

I know about 5 Phd cands in the states, n they all got funded throughout their PhD life....

Whenever I hear about PhD, I think about freebies....
So, any PhD candidate dat didn't get funding probably feel like spending his money (O.B.O)

Please let's leave this argument, n carry on!!!

The bolded is the main reason I am still surprised at Graviton. How does an elite attack such a post and term it "passing wrong information"? It still baffles me.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Graviton2(m): 11:10pm On Jun 28, 2014
Idazbawz,

He didn't say most, he specifically mentioned 90%. I'm very certain that such statistics is wrong. Especially considering that his criteria for such made-up claim was the cases of the few PhD students that have come by here.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by juntod: 11:12pm On Jun 28, 2014
slimmy05: Such comments are derogatory especially when you seem not to have single idea of what it entails. Please, refrain from making such comments, you might begin to change peoples perspective of what information you wield as an elite

Don't mind me.. Blame my low mentality about such courses. Right from time, our Nigeria schools have always made us believe those courses are for dull and lazy students. In my secondary school, the science students were always rated higher than arts/social science students. I just read about great historians and philosophers and the impact they have made in the globe.

(1) (2) (3) ... (196) (197) (198) (199) (200) (201) (202) ... (501)

USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread / Travelling To Canada / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.