Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,185,154 members, 7,925,606 topics. Date: Monday, 19 August 2024 at 06:49 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 - Travel (294) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 (460014 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (291) (292) (293) (294) (295) (296) (297) ... (501) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 8:15pm On Jul 15, 2014
Thanks MsNas
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by MsNas(f): 8:22pm On Jul 15, 2014
Walspring:

Is it official or intentional
Lol. Who knows for him?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by MsNas(f): 8:23pm On Jul 15, 2014
slimmy05: Thanks MsNas
You're welcome smiley
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by phemix: 8:25pm On Jul 15, 2014
@Ms Nas, you got mail ma'm
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Rijo02: 8:27pm On Jul 15, 2014
MsNas:
If you had money transferred to you from Nigeria and you wanted it in your American account (say you wanna pay your school fees with it, cos some schools don't accept International cards and because exchange rates flunctuates like crazy), this is what to do...

Go to Walmart Money Center. Tell them you wanna buy money order. Money Order is charged at the rate of 70c where I live. But with money order, you can only put $1,000 on each money order at most. So, let's say you wanna withdraw $5,000 from your Nigerian card, you buy 5 money orders worth $1,000 each. The total amount you pay for the money orders will be 5X70c. That's $3.50 for drawing $5,000.

This is what I do whenever I wanna transfer funds from my Nigerian account to my American account because using the ATM isn't a viable choice.
1. Most ATMs have a limit of how much you can withdraw from it everyday with a card. It's most times capped at $1,000. So if I had $5,000 to withdraw, I have to do it over a period of 5 days.
2. Asides the fact that GTBank (that's my Nigerian bank) will charge me #420 for using my card on an ATM, the bank you're using its ATM will also charge you like $5 for using their services. 5X5 is $25. Excluding the GTBank charges oo. I'm not an Ijebu Lady grin but i don't subscribe to wasting my meagre funds.

One other thing: you might even find some stores that sell Money Orders for cheaper prices than Walmart. There's a store where I live called Kroger, its a super-store just like Walmart and they sell their own money other for 54c. I go there most of the time because its even closer to my house than Walmart.

Edited: after you buy the money orders, take them to any branch of your bank and tell them you want to deposit them into your account. Most times it clears almost imediately. But I live in the Bible belt, folks are kinda racist. They don't believe a young black female can have such amount. The first two times I did it, they actually asked me where I got the money order from(to ascertain it was genuine). When I told them Walmart, they called Walmart and verified if indeed I bought the money order from them. Who cares undecided. Still at that, it took 2days for the Money Order to clear and reflect in my account. Others might be luckier.

Nice one MsNas.......I took my time to read through ur posts via the link Slimmy gave it. It was really nice, funny and enlightening. Hope you enjoying studies.
Regarding the money issh (Naira to dollars), I got to settle with obtaining mine from my bank (Fidelity) at 158 rate with my Visa and flight document. When I arrive the US, I will open an account and then deposit.
Thanks for u the info.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by MsNas(f): 8:33pm On Jul 15, 2014
Rijo02:

Nice one MsNas.......I took my time to read through ur posts via the link Slimmy gave it. It was really nice, funny and enlightening. Hope you enjoying studies.
Regarding the money issh (Naira to dollars), I got to settle with obtaining mine from my bank (Fidelity) at 158 rate with my Visa and flight document. When I arrive the US, I will open an account and then deposit.
Thanks for u the info.
Yeah, that's another option. But be careful with it and don't let those Shylocks called Nigerian Customs and Immigration sight it at the airport. If you're carrying $10,000 and above please declare it at the American Customs and Border Control. My friend (we fly from Naija together), had like $15,000 and didn't declare it tho. She put it in her pants (I swear, I'm being serious). She didn't declare nada. cheesy Risky but hilarious cheesy cheesy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Stewee(m): 8:39pm On Jul 15, 2014
annabee: Finally I was able to log on. Miss everyone here. Congrats to all dat got their visas approved.

Thanks Annabee!!! cheesy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Stewee(m): 8:42pm On Jul 15, 2014
slimmy05: house, please am trying to fill ds160 and its not bring out the previous education. i want to know why. please assist

Refresh the damn page!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 8:46pm On Jul 15, 2014
Stewee:

Refresh the damn page!
grin still thesame angry
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Stewee(m): 8:49pm On Jul 15, 2014
slimmy05: since Sunday

I had some issues when I was filling my DS160 to so I just abandoned it an filled a fresh one... I then almost made one silly mistake...I dint update the new one on my profile, I only spotted it the night bfore my interview...I almost had a heart attack. I sharply dusted the black and white God knows what year printer and printed a new one.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Stewee(m): 9:00pm On Jul 15, 2014
slimmy05: grin still thesame angry

Ditch the form and start a new one.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 9:11pm On Jul 15, 2014
Stewee:

Ditch the form and start a new one.
done that since sunday
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Graviton2(m): 9:13pm On Jul 15, 2014
Slimmy,

What is happening to your DS-160 is a bug related issue, happened to a friend too — in his case, the current work/education was blocked out.

I advise you give it some time, try again tomorrow.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 9:17pm On Jul 15, 2014
Graviton2: Slimmy,

What is happening to your DS-160 is a bug related issue, happened to a friend too — in his case, the current work/education was blocked out.

I advise you give it some time, try again tomorrow.
Alright. Thanks for the info. Its since Sunday I've been having the issue. I just emailed them
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Stewee(m): 9:18pm On Jul 15, 2014
slimmy05: done that since sunday

Start Praying Job 5:10 and Psalm 40!

The Devil Is a liar!!!!

grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Graviton2(m): 9:19pm On Jul 15, 2014
Laura2014,

I was about commenting on your case, but I see you have been given all the advice you need. There will be no need for repetition.

Apply the advice you have been given and make sure you do not let on to the VO that you applied to just one school, also work on your replies — I was just shaking my head as I read your responses to very straightforward questions.

All the best.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Graviton2(m): 9:23pm On Jul 15, 2014
slimmy05: Alright. Thanks for the info. Its since Sunday I've been having the issue. I just emailed them

Since you have emailed them, be rest assured they will see to it — they pride themselves in responding quickly to distress calls.

Just relax and try again tomorrow. I'm waiting for your positive transcript — you too, Walspring...make una do fast!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 9:26pm On Jul 15, 2014
Graviton2:

Since you have emailed them, be rest assured they will see to it — they pride themselves in responding quickly to distress calls.

Just relax and try again tomorrow. I'm waiting for your positive transcript — you too, Walspring...make una do fast!
Thanks. Sure you would.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Walspring: 9:42pm On Jul 15, 2014
laura2014:

Thank you for your response. I appreciate . Yes , My dad is not able to sponsor me this time , My Uncle will . and he will be giving me his companies documents with a statement of account of at least 5million .
but how do i fill the ds 160 . it definitely has to change now to my Uncle"s name . right ? or what do you suggest i write there . my dad and my uncle ? please advice . as i would not be going this time with my dad"s account at all . he is not able to sponsor me this time. he is in a terrible situation , you dont want to pray as i dont pray such for even my enemy. please advice how i should fill the ds 160 sponsor information.

As for me put your dad sponsor if you see add option there include your unlce.

But print your dad and uncle statement and go to the embassy with it and explain to the VO while your uncle will be support you in this...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by DanjaNinja(m): 9:42pm On Jul 15, 2014
francisabuah: Gud morin house,plz I need info on how to register for TOEFL and GRE on my own.plz I need the information as soon as possible,pplease.thanks and God bless

GRE AND TOEFL REGISTRATION FOR THOSE WHO DONT HAVE VISA CARDS BUT HAVE GTBANK MASTERCARD[/size][size=8pt][/font]

Simple. Here's how i did mine.

1. Required Items
a. Visa Atm Card or GTBank MasterCard + Paypal Account
b. For GRE =$200.00 or its Naira Equivalent @$1=165
c. For TOEFL =$180.00 OR its Naira Equivalent @$1=165

2. Create an Account

a. For TOEFL, Create an Account @ http://www.ets.org/toefl?WT.ac=toeflhome_why_121127
b. For GRE, Create an Account @ http://www.ets.org/gre

3. After Creating accounts, register for Test and select your prefered date and test location. OR Skip this section[size=8pt][/size][font=Lucida Sans Unicode]
to (5) if u already have a paypal account.

4. Pay for Test
a. Payment with Visa Cards is easy and straight forward. Just ensure you have the said amounts listed above and your good to go.

However there's an alternative means of payment: PAYPAL. I recommend this method for those who dont have VISA cards but have functioning Mastercards - in my case: Gtbank Mastercard. This method was previously unavailable to Nigerians but with the commencement of Paypal operations in Nigeria, its works full time. Its also highly secure since payments are made with your email address and not your atm card number.

Since i didn't have a VISA card and i didn't want the stress and hassle of setting up a new account, I made all payments for GRE and TOEFL via Paypal.

Here's how i did it:

4. Create a Paypal account @ https://www.paypal.com/ng/webapps/mpp/home . Its free and easy.
After setting up your paypal account, connect your GTbank Mastercard to your paypal account. Its the same as verifying your paypal account.

IMPORTANT: Ensure you have at least $200 or the nairala Equivalent (for GRE) OR $180 or the Naira Equivalent for TOEFL, in your Gtbank Account. NOTE: You dont need a dormicilliary account, a Gtbank savings or current account works just fine. Transferring funds from your gtbank account to paypal is not neccessary either.

5. Log into your GRE or TOEFL account, register for the test, select your preferred test location and date, Proceed to checkout with "Paypal" and type in your paypal account details. Paypal makes an automated call/query to your gtbank to ascertain if you have sufficient funds. If funds are sufficient, paypal submits your payment to ETS. Thats all.

Here's a snapshot of my TOEFL payment on Paypal. If you have any questions, send a pm or mention me. I'd be glad to help.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Walspring: 9:45pm On Jul 15, 2014
laura2014:

I am afraid his present balance as a result of his condition at present cannot cover my tuition for the first year . He is distabilised that i dont even want to disturb him at the moment is why am shifting grounds to my Uncle and which he has accepted since my dad already talked to him.

my first year tuition is 28000$ from the account i sent to the school . they estimated the funds to be 45,000$

so my Uncle is my last hope. Just dont know how to package it and go about it is why i need that help and please correct me on my previous transcript.

God Bless as i await your correspondence..

After you get your visa soon, i will suggest you look for school with low tuition fee.. That amount is too much my sister

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by DanjaNinja(m): 9:46pm On Jul 15, 2014
tolutweety:

Good day to everyone,
i will be scheduling my GRE test for next month or early september. I need someone to help with a material to help prepare for the test(whether hard or soft copy).
Any possible tips and advice on how to get a very high score would also be appreciated.

my email : tolutweety@ymail.com

Thanks.

will send you Grubber's Gre 2014 as soon as my connection picks up....
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Walspring: 9:49pm On Jul 15, 2014
MsNas:
Lol. Who knows for him?

hmmmmmm grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Walspring: 9:49pm On Jul 15, 2014
MsNas:
LOL. Where did you tell the dude my school was? cheesy Honestly, say it out. Wanna know if you're right or not.

Lol.... State of Nature or Natural state.. Am i right?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by DanjaNinja(m): 9:51pm On Jul 15, 2014
igbonerd:

ETS doesn't accept Master card for Nigerian test takers; you'd need a Visa card. I got mine from First Bank and it cost me #2,000 and less than a week to do so.

I should alert you that because there are only three centers in Lagos, and we're just entering a fresh admission window, seats for the GRE are filling up really fast. As I type this, the earliest date you available is October 26. Or maybe even later. Another alternative is registering to take the exam in another state: Port Harcourt or Abuja.

I'm forewarning you because I'm presuming you're working with the December 15 deadline, else there's no rush. Lemme know if you need any clarification.

Not entirely true, You can pay with Mastercard via Paypal. ETS accepts paypal.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by laura2014: 9:52pm On Jul 15, 2014
juntod:

EXACTLY... But since your uncle bears the same surname as your dad, PM me let me suggest something to you (Don't want VOs to read the suggestion). You may want to consider the option.

Sorry been away from my computer for a while. am here now. what do you mean by PM you and how do i do that ?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 9:52pm On Jul 15, 2014
@laura2014, VO's voice: how does your uncle intend to pay such a huge amount of money for your studies?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by MsNas(f): 9:55pm On Jul 15, 2014
Walspring:

Lol.... State of Nature or Natural state.. Am i right?
Yeah, you are. cheesy I thought you quoted the school ni. Lol. ridimic1 is just one naughty boy! cheesy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Graviton2(m): 9:56pm On Jul 15, 2014
Joenice: @laura2014, VO's voice: how does your uncle intend to pay such a huge amount of money for your studies?

In Sarkodie's voice: You no know say money no be problem?

Some people get mind though — That annual sum will see me through 2years of college expenses
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by MsNas(f): 9:57pm On Jul 15, 2014
Graviton2:

Abeg oh! Take am easy. grin
Why should I take it easy? angry Person leave me run go marry another girl and you're talking "Take it easy!". Mind yourself oh!! undecided undecided
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Walspring: 9:57pm On Jul 15, 2014
slimmy05: house, please am trying to fill ds160 and its not bring out the previous education. i want to know why. please assist

I think this usually happened to few people or so cos something like this happened to a girl on this thread and she told me, I asked her to post it on the NIV thread and the VO said is not something serious, We called the US embassy and explained, we are told that they can't do anything and she should fill another form.

She filled another form and still the same, This same girl told me that Zeezahbee got same issue and she was able to rectify it but i didnt get the way she rectified that (I dont know if its true but Zeezahbee assisted her to add her education stuff anyway). But i think the issue should be random issue although i may be wrong with that..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by MsNas(f): 9:58pm On Jul 15, 2014
Amefrica:

That's nice to know cheesy. I'm fine oh, just dey where you put me. cheesy
Can see you're balling all over. cheesy Enjoyment Galore

(1) (2) (3) ... (291) (292) (293) (294) (295) (296) (297) ... (501)

Travelling To Canada / All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.