Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,062 members, 7,970,275 topics. Date: Wednesday, 09 October 2024 at 05:01 AM

Will Lagos Roads Ever Be Agbero Free Again? - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Will Lagos Roads Ever Be Agbero Free Again? (9068 Views)

Are Touts (agbero) Now Ministers For Transportation ? / "Wetin Concern Agbero With Overload" Translate In English. / Nurtw Aka Agbero & Lagos Road. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Will Lagos Roads Ever Be Agbero Free Again? by lilTunechi(m): 10:29am On Oct 20, 2013
They forgot to chase Yuzedo for im under bridge coconut Ice-ground.

2 Likes

Re: Will Lagos Roads Ever Be Agbero Free Again? by ol2012: 10:31am On Oct 20, 2013
Boss13: When Fashola declared that he would transform Lagos to a mega city, I could not hide my joy because my belief was that these area boys will be chased off the street. However, this is not the case. The number of area boys has increased exponentially, the menace they create on a daily basis is absurd and the ever working governor has turned blind and deaf towards eradicating these nuisance off our streets.

Now I begin to wonder, what kind of mega city is the governor trying to create - one with potential criminals on the roads? What are the economic and social benefits in having miscreants on our roads? Why is Fashola not doing anything about it and does he intend to blame the FG for area boys?

These boys have no business with our roads. If their aim is to collect levies, there are a thousand and one ways to get these levies.
The bolded perfectly captures my thoughts. The confidence with which they operate, makes me feel they enjoy the tacit support of govt.

1 Like

Re: Will Lagos Roads Ever Be Agbero Free Again? by caesaraba(m): 10:32am On Oct 20, 2013
That means you`d have to empty almost all of Lagos.
Re: Will Lagos Roads Ever Be Agbero Free Again? by Nobody: 10:34am On Oct 20, 2013
I live in the South-east and I am currently getting pictures and video evidence to make a documentary about this issue. It affects us more because we own a company, and these agberos extort a lot of money to let our products pass through the roads. They come up with some ridiculous means, mainly through what they call Emblem. Its a sticker you buy and put on your truck or commercial vehicle. Each of the stickers cost about 15,000 and the problem is that each group has its own stickers, in every city or state you go to. Therefore, its never possible for you to have the complete set of stickers. These boys stay on the highway with nailed sticks to puncture your tire if you dont stop.
Truck drivers pass this cost to the seller, who passes the cost to the buyer. So, assuming a trader brings tomato from Kano to Onitsha, the tomato price will be much higher simply because the truck driver has to deal with this boys on the road. It is seriously killing businesses in Nigeria. We spend close to 200k every month on them. And this has prevented us from developing the market for our products in cities like Warri, Port Harcourt Aba and so on. Govt really needs to intervene.

4 Likes

Re: Will Lagos Roads Ever Be Agbero Free Again? by oLAAbEfe(m): 10:35am On Oct 20, 2013
cashkid18: wat is dis one asking
iyanmiri people nd d way of reasoning......spit*
Re: Will Lagos Roads Ever Be Agbero Free Again? by Nobody: 10:39am On Oct 20, 2013
speedyboi: Ehnn....I remember a thread that made frontpage I think last year...condemning okada...saying things like: they cause accidents on the roads blah blah.....
Na this same Nairaland we dey when fashola banned okada and nairalanders started shouting 'Heartless Governor', 'elitist Governor' blah bląh blah.

Na this same Nairaland we dey again oooo........una don dey condemn Agberos.
If and If Fashola drives out Agbero in the future and I see any thread condemning the move on frontpage. Well I won't be surprised! Nigerians/Nairalanders are; hypocrites, sadists AND confused lots who don't know what they want, what is right or what they actually want from their Government.
smh.
Re: Will Lagos Roads Ever Be Agbero Free Again? by oluamid(m): 10:39am On Oct 20, 2013
@OP, if you want to be tribalistic don't be subtle about it. Although agbero is a Yoruba word, you and I know fully well that its not an exclusive preserve of Lagos state or the SW so stop trying to make it look like it is.

Agbero is a Nigerian thing and there's hardly a motor park you go to in Nigeria that you don't observe it. Besides, it goes by different names in different places so don't tribalise it. It is one of the things State governments really need to tackle because just as you said, its the ordinary citizens/passengers that bear the brunt of it.

1 Like

Re: Will Lagos Roads Ever Be Agbero Free Again? by ikeyman00(m): 10:46am On Oct 20, 2013
@@@

and still they walk freely in lagos lipsrsealed

mega city indeed!
Re: Will Lagos Roads Ever Be Agbero Free Again? by ol2012: 10:53am On Oct 20, 2013
oluamid: @OP, if you want to be tribalistic don't be subtle about it. Although agbero is a Yoruba word, you and I know fully well that its not an exclusive preserve of Lagos state or the SW so stop trying to make it look like it is.

Agbero is a Nigerian thing and there's hardly a motor park you go to in Nigeria that you don't observe it. Besides, it goes by different names in different places so don't tribalise it. It is one of the things State governments really need to tackle because just as you said, its the ordinary citizens/passengers that bear the brunt of it.
Dude, what makes u think I want to be tribalistic? I'm a yoruba man if u must know.
Now this thread is not about collection of levies in motor parks(from inter-city transporters), this may even be justified by the fact the agberos here hunt for passengers. Rather its about extortion of motorists in bus stops on Lagos intra-city roads. So are you saying same thing is now happening all over the country?

2 Likes

Re: Will Lagos Roads Ever Be Agbero Free Again? by omiobo: 10:56am On Oct 20, 2013
Ikengawo: Agberos represent a powerful political tool that anyone who wishes to win Lagos will not ignore and more importantly will not fail to utilize. If Fashola goes to war with them, they will strike back in that they're very organized and turn Lagos into a hellhole for everyone. If left alone and even supported, they can intimidate enemies, rally support, and spread your name. Same for area boys. Politicians can create personal armies with these men and thus it's often hard to get rid of them because their patrons are often allies.
I like your post for the first time. Emmm end tinz!
Re: Will Lagos Roads Ever Be Agbero Free Again? by Decryptor(m): 10:59am On Oct 20, 2013
Boss13: When Fashola declared that he would transform Lagos to a mega city, I could not hide my joy because my belief was that these area boys will be chased off the street. However, this is not the case. The number of area boys has increased exponentially, the menace they create on a daily basis is absurd and the ever working barking governor has turned blind and deaf towards eradicating these nuisance off our streets.

Why won't the number of Agberos increase? When the dullard governor is busy chasing out Ibos who are legally working to earn a living there in Lagos. They are his boys and are taking after Tinubu whom i learn was also a tout during his young days...Remember APC means Agbero Peoples Party

Secondly, toutism is a way of life in yoruba land. An average yoruba man has a tint of agberoism in his blood whether educated or not!

Now I begin to wonder, what kind of mega city is the governor trying to create - one with potential criminals on the roads?
What are the economic and social benefits in having miscreants on our roads?
Let me answer the bolded...
Economic Benefits: To enhance the GDP of Lagos since some bone-heads in this forum don't agree that investments of the people from the SE has anything to do with boosting the Lagos economy. Where do you think the bulk of the money used in building "Eko Alantick" came from? That's why the touts are increasing more and more! And to add, the reason why a yoruba man was imposed as the head of Ladipo market so as to task the ibo traders there to add to the funds.

Secondly, the proceeds which the touts collect are used to fund the activities of APC in lagos state.

Social Benefits: These touts are his foot soldiers for the up-coming elections in Lagos state. They will be used to enforce strict adherence to a "Vote for APC" election policy in Lagos in particular and SW in general.

Why is Fashola not doing anything about it and does he intend to blame the FG for area boys?

Why would he do anything about it? His mentor and predecessor (Tinubu) is a political tout and so is he!
On blaming the FG for the touts in his own state goes a long way to show how demented and senile the man is. He blames the Ibos for all the problems Lagos has...why won't he blame the FG for agberos? Someone who talked about people kissing on television in a public gathering? What more do you expect?

These boys have no business with our roads. If their aim is to collect levies, there are a thousand and one ways to get these levies.

Abeg, you wan spoil market for these boys who refuse to go to school but rather make money in crude ways such as Agbero and Omoile? People like Bluetooth, dayokanu, geeez etc who are also touts in Nairaland? They have nothing else to do! They can't read and write or engage in any form of trade. So just let them be for now!

6 Likes

Re: Will Lagos Roads Ever Be Agbero Free Again? by bluerange(f): 11:01am On Oct 20, 2013
it is not a lagos nor a south-west issue only, am frm the south-east & they operate well there. lt is national even the minister of state for either labour or trade who is from Benue is a former agbero, was shown on zaki's heroes of our times on AIT.
Re: Will Lagos Roads Ever Be Agbero Free Again? by oluamid(m): 11:02am On Oct 20, 2013
ol2012: Dude, what makes u think I want to be tribalistic? I'm a yoruba man if u must know.
Now this thread is not about collection of levies in motor parks(from inter-city transporters I guess), rather its about extortion of motorists in bus stops on Lagos intra-city roads. So are you saying same thing is now happening all over the country?

My mistake then, sorry. As to your question, it happens all over the country and its not a new thing. Even in places where you don't expect you find it happening.
Re: Will Lagos Roads Ever Be Agbero Free Again? by Rexnegro(m): 11:04am On Oct 20, 2013
If possible they can all come together I mean drivers n conductors to stage a protest tittle agberos must go...take the protest to Alausa invite TV stations n then they should go on strike if govt doesn't do anytin abt it....when the teeming population cry out for lack of transportation for like a week or so maybe govt will den do sometin abt these bastards. its so painful to just see someone frm nowhere just pop up n say owo mi da ? Which money? Funny enough most of these guyz get hand work before been a shameless agberos.....above all sef their Oga at d top will tell fashola not to cancel them cos he receive huge revenue daily !

2 Likes

Re: Will Lagos Roads Ever Be Agbero Free Again? by ridlaw(m): 11:06am On Oct 20, 2013
Its sad what most nairalanders know hw to do is to blame government on every instance and never profer solution to issues. Back to the issue of agbero in lagos, do people think banning them is as easy as that? If u ban them where will they work? Remember these are people that have some sorts of criminality in them. Even the most decent society in the world has one or some gang situation they battle with each day. Its apparent various transportation policies and projects by Fashola like the light rails and expansion of BRT when completed wld definitely reduce the effect of agbero in lagos since this sector is where they lived on.
Re: Will Lagos Roads Ever Be Agbero Free Again? by Decryptor(m): 11:14am On Oct 20, 2013
speedyboi: Ehnn....I remember a thread that made frontpage I think last year...condemning okada...saying things like: they cause accidents on the roads blah blah.....
Na this same Nairaland we dey when fashola banned okada and nairalanders started shouting 'Heartless Governor', 'elitist Governor' blah bląh blah.

Na this same Nairaland we dey again oooo........una don dey condemn Agberos.
If and If Fashola drives out Agbero in the future and I see any thread condemning the move on frontpage. Well I won't be surprised! Nigerians/Nairalanders are; hypocrites, sadists AND confused lots who don't know what they want, what is right or what they actually want from their Government.
smh.
There is no correlation between Agberos (Touts) people who rob motorists in broad-day light and terrorise commuters and Okada riders who offer transportation services to people for ease of movement! One of the major reasons okada was banned was because majority of the cyclists were ibos. Yoruba man no fit do okada for im life! We know them very well! They don't like hardwork like the Ibos and Edo people.They prefer extortion jobs. The policies of LASG are anti-ibo policies. If the agberos in Lagos were to be ibos, fowlshola would have ordered a "shoot-at-sight" with the Lagos state police force. And yet these are the people who want to rule Nigeria!
God forbid!! The last time i checked, Fresh Air is better than Ewedu and amala Air!!

4 Likes

Re: Will Lagos Roads Ever Be Agbero Free Again? by ol2012: 11:18am On Oct 20, 2013
Dear All, I while I appreciate all comments so far, I do not want us to turn this into another tribal/political e-ground(as some comments are already trying to) The import of this thread essentially, is to come up with ideas on how to stop this menace. I strongly believe there should be a way to achieve this.
Re: Will Lagos Roads Ever Be Agbero Free Again? by jonagaga(m): 11:26am On Oct 20, 2013
Me ma i taya oo...its nt only in lagos its evn in kd sef!
Re: Will Lagos Roads Ever Be Agbero Free Again? by Decryptor(m): 11:27am On Oct 20, 2013
ol2012: Dear All, I while I appreciate all comments so far, I do not want us to turn this into another tribal/political e-ground(as some comments are already trying to) The import of this thread essentially, is to come up with ideas on how to stop this menace. I strongly believe there should be a way to achieve this.
My brother, the menance can never be stopped! As far as APC and people like Tinubu are concerned! It's like trying to say you want to stop the playing of bagpipes and skirt-wearing by men in Scotland! Toutism has always been a norm in SW and it will continue to thrive esp in Lagos where they will be used as foot soldiers for 2015 elections.
The only starting point to drastically reduce the menance is to refuse to vote for APC during the gubernetorial elections which will be hard for an average yoruba man to do! Yorubaland has been brainwashed by APC that they can never see anything wrong in voting for them so guys...enjoy "Tout Air" in Lagos while we enjoy "Fresh Air" up here. Ife onye choro ka o ga afu!

4 Likes

Re: Will Lagos Roads Ever Be Agbero Free Again? by Decryptor(m): 11:32am On Oct 20, 2013
bluerange: it is not a lagos nor a south-west issue only, am frm the south-east & they operate well there. lt is national even the minister of state for either labour or trade who is from Benue is a former agbero, was shown on zaki's heroes of our times on AIT.
What we have in the South East are organised people working under the auspices of transport or trade unions such as the NURTW etc. And they are mostly confined to the parks. You won't see them blocking major roads with barricades and throwing sticks and stones to commercial motorists who dare not part with ordinary N50 so please get your facts right!

5 Likes

Re: Will Lagos Roads Ever Be Agbero Free Again? by Nobody: 11:34am On Oct 20, 2013
ol2012: The menance of lazy individuals who extort money from commercial drivers/conductors is fast becoming a culture in Lagos. The commando style of operations of these urchins(some now usually dressed in uniform) always keep me wondering for how long the LASG will continue to feign ignorance of this anomaly.
I sometimes watch helplessly, how these drivers/conductors are harrased if they refuse to part with their money; how their vehicle wipers, side mirrors, tyre covers etc are brazenly vandalised and sometimes(rarely though) how these conductors get beaten up by the almighty AGBEROs in broad daylight.
Commuters apart from getting delayed in the process are the ones indirectly funding the payments made to these lazy bones, since a fare that should ordinarily cost #100 for example is charged #120 or #150(when payment to AGBERO is factored in)
Personally, more worrying is the fact that this Lagos AGBERO madness seem to be spreading gradually to other neighbouring SW states.
Dear NLs, in the even government continues to ignore the atrocities of these individuals, what can the helpless transport workers in particular, and Lagosians in general possibly do to stop this injustice?
yes, Agboro is a big business o, in bayelsa they load people into taxi's(who send them sef?) at specific junctions and roundabouts(e.g tombia) , and charge the drivers about 50 to 100 naira, mehn anytime i see their hand, my belle dey sweet me, those guys're making a lot of money from that o.

1 Like

Re: Will Lagos Roads Ever Be Agbero Free Again? by Nobody: 11:49am On Oct 20, 2013
Yes, if they will start training their children well from childhood, not allowing them to behave like wild cats even on nairaland. Nonsense people

2 Likes

Re: Will Lagos Roads Ever Be Agbero Free Again? by ol2012: 11:56am On Oct 20, 2013
nwanna89: I live in the South-east and I am currently getting pictures and video evidence to make a documentary about this issue. It affects us more because we own a company, and these agberos extort a lot of money to let our products pass through the roads. They come up with some ridiculous means, mainly through what they call Emblem. Its a sticker you buy and put on your truck or commercial vehicle. Each of the stickers cost about 15,000 and the problem is that each group has its own stickers, in every city or state you go to. Therefore, its never possible for you to have the complete set of stickers. These boys stay on the highway with nailed sticks to puncture your tire if you dont stop.
Truck drivers pass this cost to the seller, who passes the cost to the buyer. So, assuming a trader brings tomato from Kano to Onitsha, the tomato price will be much higher simply because the truck driver has to deal with this boys on the road. It is seriously killing businesses in Nigeria. We spend close to 200k every month on them. And this has prevented us from developing the market for our products in cities like Warri, Port Harcourt Aba and so on. Govt really needs to intervene.
I never knew it has gotten this serious bro. Please expedite action on your documentary and send it to Channels tv. That might just be the beginning of the end of the menace.
Re: Will Lagos Roads Ever Be Agbero Free Again? by Iceman296: 11:59am On Oct 20, 2013
Agbero's Are Every where in Nigeria, Just that its Rampant in Lagos!

This Guys Simply Need to be Engaged or Collect this Money in a Orderly Manner Not Every Bus stop, You see a Weird looking Guy demanding Money Like He Owns The Road!
Re: Will Lagos Roads Ever Be Agbero Free Again? by ketoprofen(m): 12:16pm On Oct 20, 2013
ridlaw: Its sad what most nairalanders know hw to do is to blame government on every instance and never profer solution to issues. Back to the issue of agbero in lagos, do people think banning them is as easy as that? If u ban them where will they work? Remember these are people that have some sorts of criminality in them. Even the most decent society in the world has one or some gang situation they battle with each day. Its apparent various transportation policies and projects by Fashola like the light rails and expansion of BRT when completed wld definitely reduce the effect of agbero in lagos since this sector is where they lived on.

....If u ban them where will they work? U actually asked this?

U see y I said this is in your dna

2 Likes

Re: Will Lagos Roads Ever Be Agbero Free Again? by omon24(m): 12:17pm On Oct 20, 2013
The same reason crime and criminality still thrives even with the police and arm forces in place. Fashola's administration have bn doin it best in this regard. it wil be very dificult to completely eradicate the activicties of agberos, u ar talking about lagos, where in naija is free of them? Abuja is worst.
Re: Will Lagos Roads Ever Be Agbero Free Again? by GentleMimi: 12:18pm On Oct 20, 2013
Hmmmm,its totally pathetic. Not only do they extort money frm commercial bus drivers,but from market women too. In fact,take Daleko mrkt for example.Every week,one Alhaja Kwara goes around collecting money for environmental(#200 per shop),security(#200),police money,O.P.C money! When Tinumbu's mum died,the traders were forced to by one useless ankara(as if na dem kill the woman). If u fail to comply,these women will seize goods worth a lot of money. If u complain,the will lock ur shop. If u are Igbo and protest,they tell u to go to ur village and start ur business. These thugs are here to stay. Thank God we are surviving despite it all!!!
Re: Will Lagos Roads Ever Be Agbero Free Again? by Lamasta(m): 12:24pm On Oct 20, 2013
As far as APC is still in power Agbero is business as usual
Re: Will Lagos Roads Ever Be Agbero Free Again? by incrediblestev: 12:40pm On Oct 20, 2013
haha aah.agberos are one of the enduring legacies of the Tinubu led ACN/AP, one of the many reasons many easterners do not want the party in the east ...a party that engages the services of street urchins to win elections what do you expect?
It is a known fact that in Lagos, especially during the first election that brought Fashola in, Tinubu used Agberos to counter the thuggish Obanikoro of PDP, he probably promised them a free reign as long as the ACN party continues to be in Lagos state government house. The fact that the APC is silent on the menace of their children making transportation expensive and unprofitable for people on the business, they know they are going to use them win more elections.

2 Likes

Re: Will Lagos Roads Ever Be Agbero Free Again? by Nobody: 12:54pm On Oct 20, 2013
Decryptor:
There is no correlation between Agberos (Touts) people who rob motorists in broad-day light and terrorise commuters and Okada riders who offer transportation services to people for ease of movement! One of the major reasons okada was banned was because majority of the cyclists were ibos. Yoruba man no fit do okada for im life! We know them very well! They don't like hardwork like the Ibos and Edo people.They prefer extortion jobs. The policies of LASG are anti-ibo policies. If the agberos in Lagos were to be ibos, fowlshola would have ordered a "shoot-at-sight" with the Lagos state police force. And yet these are the people who want to rule Nigeria!
God forbid!! The last time i checked, Fresh Air is better than Ewedu and amala Air!!

Smh! When tribalism and sentiments have beclouded the reasoning faculties of Nairalanders, how will Nigeria improve?

Btw, @bolded...I never knew oooo. So na Igbo people dey do okada in Lagos? grin....that's a new one.

As per the rest of post, all I can do is smh for you

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Gurusbase.com Is Now Gurusbase.net / What Keeps You Going, Despite Life's Struggles And Pains / Broiler Cage // Brooding Cage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.