Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,255 members, 7,880,957 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 10:01 AM

Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih - Celebrities (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih (49145 Views)

Funke Akindele And Ini Edo Battle It Out In New Selfies / Picture Of Funke Akindele And Her Fiance -alhaji Kehinde Oloyede Almaroof / Funke Akindele And Femi Adebayo’s Traditional Wedding: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by slap1(m): 7:20pm On Nov 01, 2013
At least we know that Funke is acting. How about Patience Jonathan?

2 Likes

Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by JideTheBlogger(m): 7:21pm On Nov 01, 2013
The educated Mr Daniel, what av u achieved wt ur papers? Can u pls entertain us so that our kids can learn from u?

Mtchew*******
Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by Fynestboi: 7:21pm On Nov 01, 2013
berem: English no be my papa language. I go speak am as I like as long as you understand me. Wetin consign me? grin grin
*falls from keke napep* gringringrin
Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by Nobody: 7:21pm On Nov 01, 2013
favouryemmy: The entertainment industry is dulling our inteligence
The Nigerian entertainment industry, as well as the Nigerian government and society, is greatly contributing to the falling standard of education in Nigeria.
Children, just like adults, over the years, believe in the printed and electronic media and they copy, or hold so dear, whatever they see or hear on TV and read in newspapers.
Before now, entertainers like Zebrudaya Okeke alias 4:30,
Jaguar, etc enlivened the industry and provoked laughter, while infesting the learning environment with wrong grammatical expressions, sounds and idioms.
For example, “More grease to your elbow” is a bastardised version of “More power to your elbow”; “Cut your coat according to your size” instead of “Cut your coat according to your cloth”; “Action speak louder than voice” instead of “Actions speak louder than words”; “The devil you know is better than the angel you don’t know” instead of “Better the devil you know than the devil you don’t”; and “Half bread is better than none” instead of “Half a loaf is better than no bread.”
These are a few examples of English expressions that have been bastardised as a result of our contact with the
entertainment industry.
From the music industry, entertainers such as Olamide,
Whizkid have changed the mindset of many young Nigerians, infusing slangs – which students remember quicker than a teacher’s teaching or formals – into their songs. Such spirit kills the quality of teaching and learning.
The worst of these people in this century is Funke Akindele. She rose to stardom by her clownish behaviour and expressions. Such expressions and utterances are, in fact, killing the quality of education in Nigeria. In her movie, The Hero, Funke’s grammar was so bad that it made watching the movie very tiresome for the learned and highly lettered ones.
No one in their sane mind would sit and watch Funke’s recent movies and feel that they are watching a good movie – except if they are of the same background as Funke.
She says: “Who is you?” instead of Who are you?; “I am
deading” rather than I am dying; “This womens” – These
women; “Let me told you” – Let me tell you; “Foice” – Voice; “Shindren” – Children; “Sow” – Show, etc.
Such comic but deadly statements are condemnable.
Such laughter provoking but academically killing grammar should be extirpated completely if Funke must make sense to million of people like me. Funke can still make her millions while speaking normal. This melodramatic and bastardised grammar is only killing our youth who watch a lot of home videos. It does not build them. And woe is he who pleases
himself while giving a painless death to other people.
Every lover of success for tomorrow’s leaders should stand up and speak against the grammar abuse by our entertainers.
Although one may not blame them completely, for they are speaking to the best of their knowledge, it is expedient for them to know that a million people rely on their spoken grammar.
Entertainers such as Genevieve Nnaji, Pete Edochie and Ini Edo, made a name for themselves without abusing the rules of grammar usage.
Such grammar abuse, in my view, is a naked sign of half
education.

Daniel Odih writes from Lokoja, Kogi State.

premiumtimesng.com/arts-entertainment/147662-funke-akindele-bastardisation-english-language-daniel-odih.html?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=funke-akindele-bastardisation-english-language-daniel-odih

Mr knows best, it's obvious you are not enlightened, you only went to school. They are media artists entertaining people while making their money. In the film industry are different characters, some are plain, some comic and some tragic. Is it all sam loco's vocab that exists, bet you you can't tell because of your level of reasoning and you don't even know what a concept or construct is.
Comparing Funke Akindele with Genevieve is a very dumb idea because their roles are different.
Funke Akindele's comic pattern is to comit grammatical blunders though lately she's misplacing the favour because she's over doing it.
If you want to learn English, watch programmes that aids it as all Tv programmes and films serve different purposes.
You are wrong for saying that they are talking from the best of their knowlege.

4 Likes

Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by seedord247(m): 7:22pm On Nov 01, 2013
coogar:

the writer is probably as morönic as you - perhaps you guys are blood-related thus the similar animalistic behaviour you both tend to display.

Coming from a brainless eeediiot. Broo take your pill before it's too late Mr Picaro grin
Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by bigtt76(f): 7:23pm On Nov 01, 2013
Hask your dadi ....hask your mummy grin

1 Like

Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by Sundahjoe(m): 7:23pm On Nov 01, 2013
Yeye yeye! See person wey talk say a person in his sane mind no go sidon watch her movie. How come u knw all this bastardise grammer if no be say u self no dey watch am mtchewwww. Abeg funke case na comedy.
Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by Fynestboi: 7:23pm On Nov 01, 2013
Monstertrucks: Who is those that are wanting to deroad this thread?? undecided undecided lipsrsealed
murdered english.. gringrin
Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by seedord247(m): 7:23pm On Nov 01, 2013
JideTheBlogger: The educated Mr Daniel, what av u achieved wt ur papers? Can u pls entertain us so that our kids can learn from u?

Mtchew*******

And you called yourself a blogger? smh. grin
Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by Nobody: 7:23pm On Nov 01, 2013
Monstertrucks:

Anyone else was too lazy to read t all?? undecided undecided undecided
no bro, only you.

2 Likes

Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by Nobody: 7:24pm On Nov 01, 2013
OP, YOUR IS FOOLS!

Hedioustic fools! angry

1 Like

Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by JESUSBOY2009(m): 7:24pm On Nov 01, 2013
I love this. I only wish they get to see this
Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by coogar: 7:26pm On Nov 01, 2013
Afam4eva: Is this Daniel of a guy now saying that all comedians should start speaking in Queens English?

daniel himself is a semi-illiterate....just look at his opening sentence. The entertainment industry is dulling our inteligence - is this english language? dulling? he couldn't even spell intelligence & he had the hutzpah to call people out......

seedord247:
Coming from a brainless idiot. Broo take your pill before it's too late Mr Picaro grin

seedord leave this zone before you infect others with your acute stùpidity.
Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by theripper3: 7:28pm On Nov 01, 2013
This man dey take life too serious o. All na for entertainment jare
Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by mustaphagreens(m): 7:32pm On Nov 01, 2013
@op, i was almost tempted to say 'nice write up' but thank God i didn't fall for the temptation, your criticism of funke akindele was it borne out of your personal dislike for her or were you really trying to sit an example of entertainers whose grammar we shouldn't copy? Truth be told, there's absolutely nothing wrong with funke akindele, she's always played the part of an hilarious fellow in her movies. Are you so dumb to know that in comedy anything goes? If you would condemn her for the role she plays to entertain pple then what would you have to say about our comedians of which 90% don't use your so-named good English. Please next time i wouldn't tolerate this!

2 Likes

Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by joeekuns(m): 7:32pm On Nov 01, 2013
@OP: Chief you should know that it's comedy and 45-55% of Nigerian movies are done in pidgin or bad english. Now in the US the reason why there is slang is because the illiterate blacks could not speak exactly like the white men so they had to improvise to suit them, so it is here as well. The illiterates and unlearned citizens improvised with pidgin and bad english to suit themselves and personally i believe it is the duty of the parents to either correct their children when they speak bad english or stop them from watching such movies. Basically when a child has been instilled with good english it's difficult to deviate.

1 Like

Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by Glaxx(m): 7:32pm On Nov 01, 2013
free2ryhme: This is a good indication our home video never positively adds to your IQ ..

Oga ITK, what do shows like Mr Beans and Charle Chaplin add to your IQ?

1 Like

Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by Dharn(m): 7:33pm On Nov 01, 2013
[quote author=segunjowo]Funke is out there to entertain according to her script. And why can't you write to her directly expressing your opinion ......if they must know funke has LLB LAW
Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by ayoroju: 7:37pm On Nov 01, 2013
Is that Daniel of a person going to blame Funke for Mrs Umblerra's gbagauns too?
We have greater problems in Nigeria, and he's ranting about people's inability to speak another man's language fluently.
To hell with oyinbo man and his language!
To blazes with u too, Danny.
Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by emmatok(m): 7:37pm On Nov 01, 2013
seedord247: Yoruba nollywood is full of gbagauns....

Fathia balogun to her husband... Bye bye babes

Husband... See you honeys. grin

I am sure you don't know the meaning of roles in movies.
Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by J0sh007: 7:37pm On Nov 01, 2013
rhames:

I wonder how some kids will pass English Language O levels by watching our local home video.
Is the home video their books that they're supposed to read? Mtcheew

3 Likes

Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by donphilopus: 7:38pm On Nov 01, 2013
I will employ her as my childrens English teacher!!!

Yeye dey smell
Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by Nnamdini(m): 7:42pm On Nov 01, 2013
Its a shame the author or op does not know Funke Akindele or what entertainment means.its like saying Charlie Chaplain is a psycho
Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by Oisereime(f): 7:43pm On Nov 01, 2013
That's acting dear daniel. You can't change that.
Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by iropelebe(m): 7:45pm On Nov 01, 2013
Some people are just jobless.
These people r only out to entertain,it is everything in naija that is bad to some people.
Why don't you condemn american movies when they use slangs and speak bad english in movies?
Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by cold(m): 7:52pm On Nov 01, 2013
seedord247:

Are you related to funke?? Cuz this your bomb above is more than nuke. grin
Stop making a ridicule of yourself.if you're in doubt of a word or phrase,it is always safe to look it up first before making a f0ol of yourself
Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by Nobody: 7:53pm On Nov 01, 2013
I have never read a more pointless article. I am a huge fan of 'Only fools and horses' and Dale boy never speaks correct grammar nor enunciate according to the dictates of the queen's language. Mtchew!!!!
Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by Austindark(m): 7:53pm On Nov 01, 2013
I will only agree with op if and only if dat is d reason why patience Azikiwe jonathan speaks queens english
Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by beautyBrains(f): 7:53pm On Nov 01, 2013
I honestly don't think you have heard her speak when she isn't acting.. Key word"acting" how on earth can you judge her educational background from the roles she plays in movies? That doesn't make you very smart at all. What will you then say about the NYSC people who can't speak proper english. Will u also blame her for that? It is entertainment.. If you want her to educate you, go pull out old episodes of the popular tv show "I need to know"

1 Like

Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by Atyem(m): 7:56pm On Nov 01, 2013
@OP what will you say about "I ain't go nowhere" that is mostly heard in the foreign movies. we should stop watching the american movies too
Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by Littlehooper: 7:59pm On Nov 01, 2013
EVERYBODY KNOWS WHAT'S RIGHT N WRONG...
FUNKE AKINDELE IS DOING THAT PURPOSELY TO ENTERTAIN HER AUDIENCE, FANS... AS A ACTOR /ACTRESS SHOULD HAVE A PLOY TO ENTERTAIN, HIS /HER FANS... AS A ACTOR /ACTRESS SHUOLD BE UNIQUE IN WAYS OF ACTING.....
I BELIEVE EVERYBODY KNOWS WHEN THERE IS ERROR IN ENGLISH WHETHER VERBALLY OR WRITTEN ONE... ..

AKINDELE IS DOING THAT PURPOSELY FOR COMIC RELIEF......

U ARE BIASE N SENTIMENTAL..... WHAT U ARE INSINUATING IS THAT YORUBA(FUNKE AKINDELE,WIZKID, OLAMIDE ) ARE NOT GOOD AT SPEAKING IN ENGLISH UNLIKE THE IGBO(GENEVIEVE NANJI,INI EDO ...... )

IGBO ACTOR/ACTRESS ARE VICTIMS ALSO... THEY MAKE MISTAKE ALSO....

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Regina Daniels Mourns Ras Kimono: 'I Never Knew That Death Is Real Until Today' / Bobrisky Replies Denrele: "I'm The Boss Now, Sit Down And Learn" / Anna Ebiere Pregnant Again For Flavour?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.