Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,297 members, 7,881,094 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 12:19 PM

Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih - Celebrities (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih (49146 Views)

Funke Akindele And Ini Edo Battle It Out In New Selfies / Picture Of Funke Akindele And Her Fiance -alhaji Kehinde Oloyede Almaroof / Funke Akindele And Femi Adebayo’s Traditional Wedding: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by Nobody: 11:40pm On Nov 01, 2013
Q.Mark:

Call DSTV customer service to get educated about "Parental Control"? If your children watch it on Galaxy TV, I can't help you.

My kids wont sit to watch a scene of Nollywood when Disney channels have not seized to exist. They made them grow up to hate Nollywood. Learn your role as a parent and stop blaming Funke Akindele for your children's positions in class.
@q mark, its not about you allowing your children to view disney and others. How would you encourage them to learn about their environment (culture).both heredity and environment have their part to play. They might get it from other children in school.
Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by elfico(m): 11:50pm On Nov 01, 2013
Very funny thread. I agree what we watch could have effects on us, but isnt this pushing it a bit far. I mean, we all watched Rambo and Terminator as kids, I wonder why we all are not cradling AK-47s. grin

3 Likes

Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by Vladm(m): 11:51pm On Nov 01, 2013
Dope-ernino:
Nice write-up op...even wizkid "20 man shall fall that day if u cross my lane"
instead of ''20 mans shall fell dat day if u crossed my lane''
Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by QMark: 11:54pm On Nov 01, 2013
tinuola OD:
@q mark, its not about you allowing your children to view disney and others. How would you encourage them to learn about their environment (culture).both heredity and environment have their part to play. They might get it from other children in school.

If you want them to learn about their environment, select the movies you want them to watch and call them to watch them with you if you have to. Jenifer was not intended by the producer to be a movie for children to learn from. You will agree with me that you cant even call your children to come and watch most foreign movies with you where you have English language spoken the way it should be. All i am saying is, we should understand that Funke's role is mostly not a serious role, and unfortunately for her, that is the role she knows how to play most, and she should owe nobody apology for that.
Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by QMark: 11:57pm On Nov 01, 2013
Vladm: instead of ''20 mans shall fell dat day if u crossed my lane''

100likes for being olodo. grin

It should be "20 mens shall fall dat day if you cross my lane"
Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by nuele(m): 12:03am On Nov 02, 2013
Well said, Mr Daniel, there is a limit to the use of distorted eng lang b it acting or playing.
Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by tola9ja: 12:04am On Nov 02, 2013
how many books did u cant

1 Like

Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by Swizdoe(m): 12:43am On Nov 02, 2013
favouryemmy: The entertainment industry is dulling our inteligence
The Nigerian entertainment industry, as well as the Nigerian government and society, is greatly contributing to the falling standard of education in Nigeria.
Children, just like adults, over the years, believe in the printed and electronic media and they copy, or hold so dear, whatever they see or hear on TV and read in newspapers.
Before now, entertainers like Zebrudaya Okeke alias 4:30,
Jaguar, etc enlivened the industry and provoked laughter, while infesting the learning environment with wrong grammatical expressions, sounds and idioms.
For example, “More grease to your elbow” is a bastardised version of “More power to your elbow”; “Cut your coat according to your size” instead of “Cut your coat according to your cloth”; “Action speak louder than voice” instead of “Actions speak louder than words”; “The devil you know is better than the angel you don’t know” instead of “Better the devil you know than the devil you don’t”; and “Half bread is better than none” instead of “Half a loaf is better than no bread.”
These are a few examples of English expressions that have been bastardised as a result of our contact with the
entertainment industry.
From the music industry, entertainers such as Olamide,
Whizkid have changed the mindset of many young Nigerians, infusing slangs – which students remember quicker than a teacher’s teaching or formals – into their songs. Such spirit kills the quality of teaching and learning.
The worst of these people in this century is Funke Akindele. She rose to stardom by her clownish behaviour and expressions. Such expressions and utterances are, in fact, killing the quality of education in Nigeria. In her movie, The Hero, Funke’s grammar was so bad that it made watching the movie very tiresome for the learned and highly lettered ones.
No one in their sane mind would sit and watch Funke’s recent movies and feel that they are watching a good movie – except if they are of the same background as Funke.
She says: “Who is you?” instead of Who are you?; “I am
deading” rather than I am dying; “This womens” – These
women; “Let me told you” – Let me tell you; “Foice” – Voice; “Shindren” – Children; “Sow” – Show, etc.
Such comic but deadly statements are condemnable.
Such laughter provoking but academically killing grammar should be extirpated completely if Funke must make sense to million of people like me. Funke can still make her millions while speaking normal. This melodramatic and bastardised grammar is only killing our youth who watch a lot of home videos. It does not build them. And woe is he who pleases
himself while giving a painless death to other people.
Every lover of success for tomorrow’s leaders should stand up and speak against the grammar abuse by our entertainers.
Although one may not blame them completely, for they are speaking to the best of their knowledge, it is expedient for them to know that a million people rely on their spoken grammar.
Entertainers such as Genevieve Nnaji, Pete Edochie and Ini Edo, made a name for themselves without abusing the rules of grammar usage.
Such grammar abuse, in my view, is a naked sign of half
education.

Daniel Odih writes from Lokoja, Kogi State.

premiumtimesng.com/arts-entertainment/147662-funke-akindele-bastardisation-english-language-daniel-odih.html?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=funke-akindele-bastardisation-english-language-daniel-odih
Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by Swizdoe(m): 12:44am On Nov 02, 2013
favouryemmy: The entertainment industry is dulling our inteligence
The Nigerian entertainment industry, as well as the Nigerian government and society, is greatly contributing to the falling standard of education in Nigeria.
Children, just like adults, over the years, believe in the printed and electronic media and they copy, or hold so dear, whatever they see or hear on TV and read in newspapers.
Before now, entertainers like Zebrudaya Okeke alias 4:30,
Jaguar, etc enlivened the industry and provoked laughter, while infesting the learning environment with wrong grammatical expressions, sounds and idioms.
For example, “More grease to your elbow” is a bastardised version of “More power to your elbow”; “Cut your coat according to your size” instead of “Cut your coat according to your cloth”; “Action speak louder than voice” instead of “Actions speak louder than words”; “The devil you know is better than the angel you don’t know” instead of “Better the devil you know than the devil you don’t”; and “Half bread is better than none” instead of “Half a loaf is better than no bread.”
These are a few examples of English expressions that have been bastardised as a result of our contact with the
entertainment industry.
From the music industry, entertainers such as Olamide,
Whizkid have changed the mindset of many young Nigerians, infusing slangs – which students remember quicker than a teacher’s teaching or formals – into their songs. Such spirit kills the quality of teaching and learning.
The worst of these people in this century is Funke Akindele. She rose to stardom by her clownish behaviour and expressions. Such expressions and utterances are, in fact, killing the quality of education in Nigeria. In her movie, The Hero, Funke’s grammar was so bad that it made watching the movie very tiresome for the learned and highly lettered ones.
No one in their sane mind would sit and watch Funke’s recent movies and feel that they are watching a good movie – except if they are of the same background as Funke.
She says: “Who is you?” instead of Who are you?; “I am
deading” rather than I am dying; “This womens” – These
women; “Let me told you” – Let me tell you; “Foice” – Voice; “Shindren” – Children; “Sow” – Show, etc.
Such comic but deadly statements are condemnable.
Such laughter provoking but academically killing grammar should be extirpated completely if Funke must make sense to million of people like me. Funke can still make her millions while speaking normal. This melodramatic and bastardised grammar is only killing our youth who watch a lot of home videos. It does not build them. And woe is he who pleases
himself while giving a painless death to other people.
Every lover of success for tomorrow’s leaders should stand up and speak against the grammar abuse by our entertainers.
Although one may not blame them completely, for they are speaking to the best of their knowledge, it is expedient for them to know that a million people rely on their spoken grammar.
Entertainers such as Genevieve Nnaji, Pete Edochie and Ini Edo, made a name for themselves without abusing the rules of grammar usage.
Such grammar abuse, in my view, is a naked sign of half
education.

Daniel Odih writes from Lokoja, Kogi State.

premiumtimesng.com/arts-entertainment/147662-funke-akindele-bastardisation-english-language-daniel-odih.html?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=funke-akindele-bastardisation-english-language-daniel-odih
Commot joor............ No dey form Hon. Patrick 4 here

1 Like

Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by Chubosky: 12:54am On Nov 02, 2013
She is not the only one caught up in this web.I ve stopped listening to radio station like wazobia 95.5(or what ever)!!They ve first class when it comes to "murder " of English language.How can you call information;"informate"When you listen to their news report,you can't help but feel sorry for what comes out from that radio station.
Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by Bpriest(m): 1:04am On Nov 02, 2013
Is ASUU strike over?
Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by bittertalk1993(m): 1:19am On Nov 02, 2013
Monstertrucks:

Anyone else was too lazy to read t all?? undecided undecided undecided

is it a must 2 quote evrything b4 ur msg can b understood. oga oo, it's good 2 always do good sha
Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by Lordave: 1:25am On Nov 02, 2013
spade: Africans are the only set of people who think their ability to speak a white man's borrowed language should translate to some form of superiority or degree of importance.

It doesn't bother these people that the same white man did not give a demon's asss about their native languages when he went on butchering the names of their towns ('Onicha' became 'Onitsha'; 'Owerre' became 'Owerri'; 'Omambala' became 'Anambra'; 'Enu-Ugwu' became 'Enugu'; 'Oka' became 'Awka'; and 'Olu' became 'Orlu') to fit his accent and language. Oh, of course it doesn't.

They see it as a great achievement that many of their primary schools have laws where the students get penalised for speaking their mother tongue. Their cultural pride. Oh, 'Vernacular' they've termed it.

Many of these people are proud to celebrate Halloween on the 31st of October, although none of their white masters gave a damn about celebrating New Yam Festival on August.

Boy... It must sure feel good being a conquered negro.
2 bottles of Ompa for you.
Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by DesChyko1(m): 2:01am On Nov 02, 2013
End Time Gist.. (ETG)
Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by chinwekzy(m): 2:08am On Nov 02, 2013
Ignorance... Thats why people will never learn...

1 Like

Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by Consultville(m): 3:21am On Nov 02, 2013
If you want to start studying Nollywood, you won't graduate

1 Like

Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by Sunnidinho: 4:01am On Nov 02, 2013
Oh! Funke is the reason for your F9 in English lang. Man get a life and stop been more english than the english.what would you say about honourable patrick that speaks grammar but doesnt communicate? Good or bad english, na communication mata.

1 Like

Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by Sunnidinho: 4:05am On Nov 02, 2013
Q.Mark:

100likes for being olodo. grin

It should be "20 mens shall fall dat day if you cross my lane"
it should be 20 men, not mens

1 Like

Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by Funjosh(m): 5:05am On Nov 02, 2013
ISSORAIT

1 Like

Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by cachal: 5:11am On Nov 02, 2013
Very Dry from the topic to the crap article. Chinese speaks their mother language yet they are progressing than many countries. What are you trying to prove? Go get a chill pill.. Envy..
Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by Funjosh(m): 5:12am On Nov 02, 2013
Chubosky: She is not the only one caught up in this web.I ve stopped listening to radio station like wazobia 95.5(or what ever)!!They ve first class when it comes to "murder " of English language.How can you call information;"informate"When you listen to their news report,you can't help but feel sorry for what comes out from that radio station.

That means you have never for onces speak or understand nigerian broken english before
Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by whitecat007: 5:36am On Nov 02, 2013
@Op, you need to get out more often for fresh air and get a life joo!
Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by Nobody: 5:51am On Nov 02, 2013
Nice analysis but at the singling of funke's acting style I can only say u are a damn hater.
PS: is watching jennifer's movies mandatory in nigeria? Gbogbo dis boiz awon badbellez tongue
Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by Nobody: 5:57am On Nov 02, 2013
olatomiwa: mess off joo. That was just comedy and she did not rise to stardom with that. If you must know, she started with a very educative unicef sponsored program - I need to know. So just shut your holier than thou trap
[b]I hate girls who run dia mouths like water....you don't have respect [/b]
Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by magnetik(m): 5:59am On Nov 02, 2013
seedord247: Yoruba nollywood is full of gbagauns....

Fathia balogun to her husband... Bye bye babes

Husband... See you honeys. grin

Babes is a London street slang i.e darling, dear, friend, love...
Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by Ama28(f): 6:07am On Nov 02, 2013
OP you are quite learned, that's why even the average Nigerians reading this piece finds it disgusting and is calling you names.
We are so use to half baked english that we do not care to even know they are wrong. You will find a graduate in Nigeria writing in a public forum that has no limitation of words and s/he is using expressions like u,dnt,cnt among others.
A movie is a literary piece and should be all round educating. When am viewing foreign movies I learn a lot, not just in terms of the message of the film but in grammar. This is what a piece should be and not the reverse. Our children learn by association and will pick such junks fast.
Kudos Op
Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by OLUJOSHINS(m): 6:21am On Nov 02, 2013
& who exactly is this Hungry writer/ attention seeker that is trying to bambooze Funke's jokes. Please give this guy a copy of Tyler perry's collection. So he will learn that such jokes are normal
Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by Fayrouzz(m): 6:24am On Nov 02, 2013
LadyH: lol..my bruva, one day, u go knw.
Nah... Where I come from, we don't eat good grammar. We chop money.
Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by IYANGBALI: 6:25am On Nov 02, 2013
Sunnidinho: Oh! Funke is the reason for your F9 in English lang. Man get a life and stop been more english than the english.what would you say about honourable patrick that speaks grammar but doesnt communicate? Good or bad english, na communication mata.
God bless you jare
Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by pmc01(m): 6:29am On Nov 02, 2013
When is he writing a peace on PDEJ too?

Her own grammatical dysfunctuon has taken her through different levels of being a First Lady. It has even made her a Permanent Secretary. It has earned her a PHD.

Do I need to remind you of how she didn't even spare the little ones, when she directly told them this:
'Children, Children, how old is independence today?'

Except you simply have personal issues with those he mentioned.
Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by Qc1(m): 6:36am On Nov 02, 2013
[quote author=favouryemmy]

She says[b]: “Who is you?” instead of Who are you?;

Yo! Up in Harlem NY you had better get down with "who is you?" instead of "who are you?" if you don't want some caps in your bum. it's a very legit Ebonics!
Re: Funke Akindele And The Bastardisation Of The English Language – Daniel Odih by adusco(m): 6:37am On Nov 02, 2013

Do you want to tell us you have nt watch her movie, definitely you are of d same background with her, may be her own is better.
Think b4 you write and nt vice versa.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Regina Daniels Mourns Ras Kimono: 'I Never Knew That Death Is Real Until Today' / Bobrisky Replies Denrele: "I'm The Boss Now, Sit Down And Learn" / Anna Ebiere Pregnant Again For Flavour?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.