Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,920 members, 7,883,212 topics. Date: Monday, 08 July 2024 at 06:25 AM

How To Acquire/improve Your Grammar Skills - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Acquire/improve Your Grammar Skills (2515 Views)

Nairaland Residents' Grammar Diary... / 15 Grammar Mistakes You Probably Repeat Daily / Calling On Abeokuta Grammar School Old Boys Association(agsoba) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Acquire/improve Your Grammar Skills by Nobody: 8:57am On Nov 07, 2013
''Thank God for saving the life of my brother who was stabbed to death'' grin
Re: How To Acquire/improve Your Grammar Skills by Mickey7(m): 8:59am On Nov 07, 2013
Its grammatically correct to say "the food you ate has been eaten" too?
Oghos1: then point out the mistake in 'grammar' there
I there's no rule against it because no one says such a thing outside nigeria...hope this makes sense cry
Re: How To Acquire/improve Your Grammar Skills by Mickey7(m): 9:01am On Nov 07, 2013
Mickey7: "If u asked me I would say..." or "if u ask me I will say..."
?? ?
Re: How To Acquire/improve Your Grammar Skills by Caseless: 9:04am On Nov 07, 2013
Mickey7: where did u see dat pls
o boy, i taya oo. Read the OP's write-up again and u'd see wher he used them as his examples.
Re: How To Acquire/improve Your Grammar Skills by Nobody: 9:06am On Nov 07, 2013
Mickey7: Its grammatically correct to say "the food you ate has been eaten" too? I there's no rule against it because no one says such a thing outside nigeria...hope this makes sense cry

As far as d words were arranged properly and d tenses were correct. That's what grammer is about. itz grammatically okay.
Re: How To Acquire/improve Your Grammar Skills by Nobody: 9:08am On Nov 07, 2013
Doc_Miss: ''Thank God for saving the life of my brother who was stabbed to death'' grin

The sentence structure is perfect miss
Re: How To Acquire/improve Your Grammar Skills by Mickey7(m): 9:09am On Nov 07, 2013
caseless: o boy, i taya oo. Read the OP's write-up again and u'd see wher he used them as his examples.
example: “When did John died?” what is wrong
with it? And what can be done to make it right?
*confused
Re: How To Acquire/improve Your Grammar Skills by Mickey7(m): 9:11am On Nov 07, 2013
Oghos1:
The sentence structure is perfect miss
its grammatically ok smiley >>front page pls
Re: How To Acquire/improve Your Grammar Skills by Caseless: 9:12am On Nov 07, 2013
Doc_Miss: ''Thank God for saving the life of my brother who was stabbed to death'' grin
then it will not b wrong 4 me to say 'may his soul rest in perfect peace ' to d living since he was stabbed to death and was saved by God.
Re: How To Acquire/improve Your Grammar Skills by Nobody: 9:15am On Nov 07, 2013
caseless: o boy, i taya oo. Read the OP's write-up again and u'd see wher he used them as his examples.
whose
Re: How To Acquire/improve Your Grammar Skills by Nobody: 9:19am On Nov 07, 2013
caseless: then it will not b wrong 4 me to say 'may his soul rest in perfect peace ' to d living since he was stabbed to death and was saved by God.
I hardly understand ur posts
Re: How To Acquire/improve Your Grammar Skills by Caseless: 9:21am On Nov 07, 2013
Mickey7: .
*confused
in another gbagaun style...i'm 'confuser' and somebody next to me might b 'confusest'.
*jumps out*
Re: How To Acquire/improve Your Grammar Skills by Nobody: 9:22am On Nov 07, 2013
Mickey7: its grammatically ok smiley >>front page pls

Sadly, if d educational thread is not about ASUU, it cannot make front page.

That is d front page criteria for educational topics these days.
Re: How To Acquire/improve Your Grammar Skills by Elevation(m): 9:23am On Nov 07, 2013
Nice one,the issue of good grammar shouldnt be handled with levity,it needs enthusiasm.Humans in general and young adults in particular should develop themselves in lexis and structure,spelling and diction,irrelevant abbreviations should be discouraged during communication because it negatively affects good spelling skills.
Re: How To Acquire/improve Your Grammar Skills by Caseless: 9:29am On Nov 07, 2013
Oghos1: whose
i did appreciate ur piece and also told u that i never knew those 'examples' u gave were wrong , and this is what anoda poster was asking me point and i replied him. Any wahala?
Re: How To Acquire/improve Your Grammar Skills by Nobody: 9:30am On Nov 07, 2013
caseless: i did appreciate ur piece and also told u that i never knew those 'examples' u gave were wrong , and this is what anoda poster was asking me point and i replied him. Any wahala?
'no wahala'. Just that I can't remember those examples being in the main article
Re: How To Acquire/improve Your Grammar Skills by Mickey7(m): 9:32am On Nov 07, 2013
Elevation: Nice one,the issue of good grammar shouldnt be handled with levity,it needs enthusiasm.Humans in general and young adults in particular should develop themselves in lexis and structure,spelling and diction,irrelevant abbreviations should be discouraged during communication because it negatively affects good spelling skills.
and some will say "English is not our language".a silly excuse for ones unwillingness to learn angry it's annoying and unintelligent ...thanks for the advice
Re: How To Acquire/improve Your Grammar Skills by Nobody: 9:34am On Nov 07, 2013
Elevation: Nice one,the issue of good grammar shouldnt be handled with levity,it needs enthusiasm.Humans in general and young adults in particular should develop themselves in lexis and structure,spelling and diction,irrelevant abbreviations should be discouraged during communication because it negatively affects good spelling skills.

I agree with u. And I'm happy u said 'irrelevant abbreviations'. Cuz abbreviations at times are a necessity.

1 Like

Re: How To Acquire/improve Your Grammar Skills by Caseless: 9:35am On Nov 07, 2013
Oghos1: I hardly understand ur posts
'what do u find so hard to understand about my post'? Did u read d post i quoted ? Read again...
U are not helping this thread.
Re: How To Acquire/improve Your Grammar Skills by Mickey7(m): 9:36am On Nov 07, 2013
caseless: i did appreciate ur piece and also told u that i never knew those 'examples' u gave were wrong , and this is what anoda poster was asking me point and i replied him. Any wahala?
example: “When did John died?” what is wrong
with it? And what can be done to make it right?
the highlighted sentence is the ONLY example.
Re: How To Acquire/improve Your Grammar Skills by Nobody: 9:36am On Nov 07, 2013
Oghos1: The sentence structure is perfect miss
''Thank God for SAVING THE LIFE ''. He didn't actually Die, he almost died. So the ''stabbed to death'' isn't necessary.

''Thank God for saving the Life of my brother who was Stabbed'' would be perfect

Let's assume he was actually stabbed to death , then I don't think ''Saving'' is the right word.
Re: How To Acquire/improve Your Grammar Skills by Nobody: 9:36am On Nov 07, 2013
Mickey7: and some will say "English is not our language".a silly excuse for ones unwillingness to learn angry it's annoying and unintelligent ...thanks for the advice
lol. Thatz usually their escape route.

Other will say '...as long as they get d message I'm trying to convey'
Re: How To Acquire/improve Your Grammar Skills by Nobody: 9:39am On Nov 07, 2013
caseless: 'what do u find so hard to understand about my post'? Did u read d post i quoted ? Read again...
U are not helping this thread.
sorry mahn didn't mean to annoy u.

1 Like

Re: How To Acquire/improve Your Grammar Skills by Nobody: 9:41am On Nov 07, 2013
Doc_Miss: ''Thank God for SAVING THE LIFE ''. He didn't actually Die, he almost died. So the ''stabbed to death'' isn't necessary.

''Thank God for saving the Life of my brother who was Stabbed'' would be perfect

Let's assume he was actually stabbed to death , then I don't think ''Saving'' is the right word.

U don't seem to understand my point.

D statement is faulty. YES. But the fault has nothing to do with grammar
Re: How To Acquire/improve Your Grammar Skills by Nobody: 9:49am On Nov 07, 2013
Oghos1: U don't seem to understand my point.

D statement is faulty. YES. But the fault has nothing to do with grammar
okay oaky smiley
Re: How To Acquire/improve Your Grammar Skills by Caseless: 9:54am On Nov 07, 2013
Oghos1: Many people acknowledge the need for good grammar skills in their daily lives. Such people will pay almost anything to acquire these skills. The trouble is, grammar skills are not packaged in a container and traded in the market. Instead, they are a way of life that must be consciously cultivated and maintained, and they can be lost with sustained negligence. Given this fact, it is not easy to hand to someone a grammar magic or charm that can solve their grammar problems. It is needless to say that grammar skills can earn you respect and admiration.

Steps
1 Recognize the need for improvement.If a patient does not feel sick, admit it and recognize the need for medical attention, the doctor cannot do much. The first step to good grammar development is to recognize that the grammar is poor and needs upgrading. This may not be easy for some people especially if they live among people who speak the same quality of grammar. If you live where people speak wrong English most of the time, you are bound to think it is normal. So to begin with, recognize the need for improvement.

2 Know the Standard.That is the first point. What standard constitutes good grammar? Consider this example: “When did John died?” what is wrong with it? And what can be done to make it right?.
i'm sorry ,bro! Mayb i was unable to grasp these lines in bold, they were not seperated frm d example; joined to it and i thought they were part of d 'examples'. Blame it on my blurred eyez when i read the article d 1st time. I'm learning frm u ,bro.
Re: How To Acquire/improve Your Grammar Skills by Caseless: 10:00am On Nov 07, 2013
Mickey7: the highlighted sentence is the ONLY example.
i'v drawn d op's attention to that. D example and d questions appear 'jumbled' to me.
Re: How To Acquire/improve Your Grammar Skills by Mickey7(m): 10:06am On Nov 07, 2013
caseless: i'v drawn d op's attention to that. D example and d questions appear 'jumbled' to me.
the example is in quote ...ok ok it's alright
Re: How To Acquire/improve Your Grammar Skills by Nobody: 10:11am On Nov 07, 2013
caseless: i'm sorry ,bro! Mayb i was unable to grasp these lines in bold, they were not seperated frm d example; joined to it and i thought they were part of d 'examples'. Blame it on my blurred eyez when i read the article d 1st time. I'm learning frm u ,bro.

we r all learning.
Cheers smiley
Re: How To Acquire/improve Your Grammar Skills by Nobody: 10:12am On Nov 07, 2013
Doc_Miss: okay oaky smiley
cheers smiley
Re: How To Acquire/improve Your Grammar Skills by Caseless: 10:27am On Nov 07, 2013
Oghos1: sorry mahn didn't mean to annoy u.
no ishh,bro!
*shake hands*
Re: How To Acquire/improve Your Grammar Skills by Caseless: 10:28am On Nov 07, 2013
Oghos1:
we r all learning.
Cheers smiley
olret!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

5 Public Universities Wit D Most Expensive Skulfee in Nigeria / A Lecture Hall @the University Of Jos / Maths Question For Geniuses,97% Will Fail This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.