Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,574 members, 7,948,221 topics. Date: Friday, 13 September 2024 at 04:18 PM

Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby - Family (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby (36687 Views)

9 Baby Names Banned By Governments / How To Make My Baby Hair Soft / How Do I Treat Navel Pain In My Baby (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by sdavirus: 11:17am On Nov 10, 2013
luvable sam:

U are very STU.PID....cos u are frm a certain tribe doesn't make u or ur kind superior. Am sure u ar an educated illetrate.....u really showed ur foolly on this comment......am so sure u av neva travelled past ur village,area or lagos cos u are obviously YORUBA.

I pity a man that wud consider u for a blind date talkless of marriage

Hahaha.....I totally agree....apart from the insults.......although its talk from one with an empty brain. Things people say around here can make one wonder if the capacity to think is equal amongst all humans.

1 Like

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Meddler(f): 11:21am On Nov 10, 2013
if op can't speak Esan isn't it up to the father to teach the child?
again this shud not be an issue. ure son is very lucky to have u both as parents with Ur diverse and rich culture. picking up both languages is a huge plus not now but down the road. as a matter of fact expose him to more languages and see which one he picks up first. we are in age where the more language u speak the better.
Ur son can go places just based on the languages he can speak. please I beg u don't let this matter escalate. I'm sure u guys are well educated and realize that this world is changing and getting smaller. u want the best for Ur little man start now by building his future
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by luvablesam(m): 11:23am On Nov 10, 2013
Afam4eva:
I still can't find where the husband told the wife to speak Esan to the child.

I tire oooooooo, I wonder for some slowpokes on this thread who can't read.........

Read questions WELL before u attempt questions...

That's y so many people fail exams....they hardly read questions at all...

pity
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by cayesworld(m): 11:31am On Nov 10, 2013
your hubby's got serious issues. . . . you dont speak his language, yet he has no qualms spekin' it to your kid shutting u out in the process. . . . wondering why his own father didn't ban him from learning and speaking yoruba (fluently sef) . . . heck i'm yoruba and my wife is as well but guess what. . . .
my lil' angel has an ibo name. . . .
while he's at it maybe your son shouldn't learn english as well. . . sorry ooo no disrespect meant

2 Likes

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Mujah1deen: 11:32am On Nov 10, 2013
Don't let your Yoruba brothers and sisters mislead you, some are even saying that Yoruba is superior to Esan.I hope you don't think the same or don't have this kind of mindset

3 Likes

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Mujah1deen: 11:35am On Nov 10, 2013
Jiteshell:
what is this one trying to say? You have on point. Why don't men have boobs and vag1nas?
go back to school. undecided
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Nobody: 11:42am On Nov 10, 2013
cayesworld: your hubby's got serious issues. . . . you dont speak his language, yet he has no qualms spekin' it to your kid shutting u out in the process. . . . wondering why his own father didn't ban him from learning and speaking yoruba (fluently sef) . . . heck i'm yoruba and my wife is as well but guess what. . . .
my lil' angel has an ibo name. . . .
while he's at it maybe your son shouldn't learn english as well. . . sorry ooo no disrespect meant

Good man. Now these are the caliber of men we are talking about. Thinking men worthy of 100% respect! Not all these other dime a dozen blockheads.

7 Likes

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by gothrones(m): 11:49am On Nov 10, 2013
Afam4eva:
Maybe i should go to church one day and claim my right to preach on the alter. There's an extent to which your right can take you. The man has a right imposed on him either by nature or popular wisdom. The woman should not try to take that away from him just as he wouldn't take the woman's own unique rights. Can the woman claim the right to have a penis? Let her stick to what she was given and stop trying to take another person's role. And i don't know why people always see the female role as being tantamount to slavery. It's not anybody that's born to be a leader. I know a guy that says he can't be the owner of the business or even the head of a managerial position because he's talented at being a follower. It's only someone who's an oliver twist that will want to assume numerous responsibilities especially if someone is already handling some of these responsibilities.

If indeed the man has a right imposed by nature, then he surely will not have this problem. Comparing a woman trying to claim right to having a penis to that of naming her child is absolutely nonsensical, and I am sure you know that. How can it be nature if we are arguing about it? There was a time that men were lords over women, but that time is fast coming to an end. We are not cavemen anymore and we live in a time of equality. A man does not own a child. They both do. The mere fact that the husband is helpless in this situation completely destroys your "nature" argument, for it were nature, then one cannot change it.

3 Likes

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Freiburger(m): 11:51am On Nov 10, 2013
Reference: If this are the microchips that make up Nigeria then we have no hope whatsoever. Language, tribe and tongue are a curse to this country. When you'd think cross-cultural marraiges will result in a third 'language', new ideas and the dawning of hope, pigs still prefer mud. Utter rubbish. Hope your son will not inherit this ish.
1 000likes

1 Like

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Afam4eva(m): 11:58am On Nov 10, 2013
gothrones:

If indeed the man has a right imposed by nature, then he surely will not have this problem. Comparing a woman trying to claim right to having a penis to that of naming her child is absolutely nonsensical, and I am sure you know that. How can it be nature if we are arguing about it? There was a time that men were lords over women, but that time is fast coming to an end. We are not cavemen anymore and we live in a time of equality. A man does not own a child. They both do. The mere fact that the husband is helpless in this situation completely destroys your "nature" argument, for it were nature, then one cannot change it.
You see how you people take a little part of someone's comment and make a big deal out of it. I mentioned that men are imposed some rights by nature or popular wisdom but you just chose to stick with "nature" to fulfill your argumentative fantasies. And nowhere have i said a man must reserve some specific rights. I've always been of the opinion that men and women could switch roles but must never assume the same roles cos it will cause conflicts. Since we're not cavemen anymore and women seem to be gaining some momentum as far as marriage is concerned, what do you advise is done in situation such as that of the OP? Should the woman leave the marriage if the husband insists that the child mustn't be spoken to in Yoruba or does she struggle it out with her husband until he used kondo to break her head? There are some things that can only be obtained in a Utopian setting and not in practical sense. The way around it is to discuss these issues before getting into marriage. If a woman wants to be the head of the family, she should discuss it with her prospective husband and see what he thinks about it.

2 Likes

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by agwo2july: 12:01pm On Nov 10, 2013
The problem is not ur hubby but u op, ur intention is to subdue ur baby from speaking ur hubby language. If u really want to keep ur marriage, follow ur hubby instruction. To u right now is not a big deal but remember is a big deal. Just an advise thu
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by luvablesam(m): 12:19pm On Nov 10, 2013
ileobatojo:

Good man. Now these are the caliber of men we are talking about. Thinking men worthy of 100% respect! Not all these other dime a dozen blockheads.

If u don't want a man that wud set u straight, fine....I really wonder How some people were trained....

Am so sure u are already a cross to the person u are dating even if u are a lez...

Reasoning......ZERO
Mentality...... ZERO
IQ............ ZERO
PERSONALITY...... ZERO

U need help URGENTLY

8 Likes

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Nobody: 12:28pm On Nov 10, 2013
ileobatojo:

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Nobody: 12:31pm On Nov 10, 2013
lady gogo: What a hilarious thread! grin grin grin grin orishirishi creatures.

Ileobatojo where have u been? You get time o.

De beauvoir you u sent me an email.

I didn't receive it sad

Could you please send it again?
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Nobody: 12:43pm On Nov 10, 2013
cayesworld: heck i'm yoruba and my wife is as well but guess what. . . . my lil' angel has an ibo name. . . .

Una nor try at all.
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Freiburger(m): 12:45pm On Nov 10, 2013
Lol @ folks with a Zero clue of what should be the primary responsibilities of parents, they prefere having a sleepless night arguring over who is or who's not the head of the family, or how to be the head of the family. undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Livinusc(m): 1:00pm On Nov 10, 2013
The child will still learn Yoruba language when he grow up,ur husband is rite by telling u to teach him d mother tongue first b4 any other language daz d rite tin in any tribe in dis world,so dis should not bring quarrelling for both of u plz.
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by goshen26: 1:03pm On Nov 10, 2013
So painful aunty mi, but how do we come into this matter now? Just talk to him in a peaceful manner, cos we can't come to ur family with cane.
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by cayesworld(m): 1:11pm On Nov 10, 2013
Igban:

Una nor try at all.

ofcourse she has other names as well
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by UyiIredia(m): 1:29pm On Nov 10, 2013
kendraloops: I'm so so so very angry this evening. I've been having this issue with hubby for a while now, used to think he was kidding but this evening just confirmed it for me.

I'm Yoruba n he's Esan from Edo state. He speaks yoruba very very fluently even better than me, he teaches me proverbs n all sometimes sef. But anytime I speak yoruba to our baby, he gets irritated kind of n says' my son is an Esan man, stop speaking yoruba to him'.

We had a major row over it this evening again. Don't I count in the boy's life? What's the biggie in him learning how to speak yoruba?

Your hubby is wrong and since he has proven stubborn about it invite friends or family into the matter. You can start by telling a feiend he respects to advise him on the issue. Also tell him (assuming he speaks Esan fluently) that the baby can learn both languages. He speaks Esan, you speak Yoruba, the child learns English in school. If your hubby is not so available he should still allow you speak to the child that way since ot's better the child is fluent in an indigenous language than none.
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by UyiIredia(m): 1:30pm On Nov 10, 2013
kendraloops: I'm so so so very angry this evening. I've been having this issue with hubby for a while now, used to think he was kidding but this evening just confirmed it for me.

I'm Yoruba n he's Esan from Edo state. He speaks yoruba very very fluently even better than me, he teaches me proverbs n all sometimes sef. But anytime I speak yoruba to our baby, he gets irritated kind of n says' my son is an Esan man, stop speaking yoruba to him'.

We had a major row over it this evening again. Don't I count in the boy's life? What's the biggie in him learning how to speak yoruba?

Your hubby is wrong and since he has proven stubborn about it invite friends or family into the matter. You can start by telling a feiend he respects to advise him on the issue. Also tell him (assuming he speaks Esan fluently) that the baby can learn both languages. He speaks Esan, you speak Yoruba, the child learns English in school. If your hubby is not so available he should still allow you speak to the child that way since ot's better the child is fluent in an indigenous language than none.
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by tintingz(m): 1:31pm On Nov 10, 2013
chinjo: What I can deduce from ur comments shows that u are the domineering type of wives who has no respect for her husband's opinion. Firstly, by forcing ur husband to give ur child a yoruba name and secondly by insist on speaking yoruba to him. Esan men are proud and always want to be in charge. Disobeying him will only do you more harm than good. I am an Esan man and I grew up in Ilorin. My dad always frown at us when he hears us speaking Yoruba (AZANAMA) as against Ishan. Obedience is better than sacrifice
So the woman doesn't have any right on the child?? undecided
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Mujah1deen: 1:52pm On Nov 10, 2013
tintingz: So the woman doesn't have any right on the child?? undecided
that's not what he said.
She must respect her husband's will/choice. Period
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Nobody: 1:58pm On Nov 10, 2013
luvable sam:

If u don't want a man that wud set u straight, fine....I really wonder How some people were trained....

Am so sure u are already a cross to the person u are dating even if u are a lez...

Reasoning......ZERO
Mentality...... ZERO
IQ............ ZERO
PERSONALITY...... ZERO

U need help URGENTLY

Abeg if the shoe fits, wear it and quit yapping.

Now out of my way so I can see better, high quality men.

2 Likes

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Nobody: 2:06pm On Nov 10, 2013
lady gogo: What a hilarious thread! grin grin grin grin orishirishi creatures.

Ileobatojo where have u been? You get time o.

De beauvoir you u sent me an email.

grin wink

Chillisauce:

grin
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by COOLDUN: 2:08pm On Nov 10, 2013
Your husband is right as you confessed not speaking your language fluently; this might be his reason so that you will not teach your children bad Yoruba language. Like Great Fela Kuti said that Teacher don't teach me Nonsense !!

I suggest you beg him to allow you to teach them but not to dominate and assimilate them because the children are more Essan than Yoruba.

I know many of my brother’s children born in Yoruba land, who don’t know how to speak our native language. You don’t have to dominate the children because that is what I am sensing here. Nigeria children follow father and not mother. They're your children but their father's surname and not yours.

You have to beg your husband and not force him, because he has the upper hand on your children. In my tribe we tell people to answer their father’s name and not their mother’s name. Only bastardds that answer their mother’s name. Thank you.
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by luvablesam(m): 2:13pm On Nov 10, 2013
ileobatojo:

Abeg if the shoe fits, wear it and quit yapping.

Now out of my way so I can see better, high quality men.
You are such a huge joke.....wyich "high quality Man" like u put it, wud wanna be with a Woman with Zero personality or IQ?

Better wakeup from ur bad dream

2 Likes

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Nobody: 2:18pm On Nov 10, 2013
luvable sam:
You are such a huge joke.....wyich "high quality Man" like u put it, wud wanna be with a Woman with Zero personality or IQ?

Let me worry about that. You worry about the fact that you're a dime a dozen blockhead.

2 Likes

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by deols(f): 2:25pm On Nov 10, 2013
luvable sam:

U are very STU.PID....cos u are frm a certain tribe doesn't make u or ur kind superior. Am sure u ar an educated illetrate.....u really showed ur foolly on this comment......am so sure u av neva travelled past ur village,area or lagos cos u are obviously YORUBA.

I pity a man that wud consider u for a blind date talkless of marriage

Y are you so bitter? Are you so insecure and from an inferior tribe?

You are soo educated that you could not see that I wrote that in inverted comas.

You low self esteemed lot should be screened off the internet.
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by deols(f): 2:44pm On Nov 10, 2013
me_for_you: Don't understand some commentators here. How can can the woman teach the child esan when she doesn't understand the language.
The man must be a bull to think that a mom is not supposed to speak her language to her child.
This calls for divorce. It's early signs of bigger quaerels of the future

Very reasonable post.

and how does he want her to communicate with her child if not in Yoruba? using sign language or English?

some people should not be married.
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by luvablesam(m): 2:50pm On Nov 10, 2013
deols:

Y are you so bitter? Are you so insecure and from an inferior tribe?

You are soo educated that you could not see that I wrote that in inverted comas.

You low self esteemed lot should be screened off the internet.

Ouch....it hit her where it hurts...

I still insist ...it would be a CURSE for any man to blinddate u, talkless marry u..
U really finished...I tel ya..gone beyond repairs

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Can One Slap His Wife In This Case? / Paternity Fraud At Its Peak! / My Wife Disregarded My Instructions! I Stopped Calling Her!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.