Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,269 members, 7,970,969 topics. Date: Wednesday, 09 October 2024 at 06:44 PM

Nigeria's Disappearing Languages - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigeria's Disappearing Languages (23601 Views)

Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages / How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? / The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by psalmdave(m): 1:43pm On Nov 14, 2013
Komele,jekajo,omo,egegbumadu,dancia, etc,no Nigerian song that u wont here this,even those that are not from the tribe

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by newmaonza: 1:44pm On Nov 14, 2013
I have never believed any study & research that originates in Nigeria @OP: what u r saying is a big lie, may be those research were carried out in lekki, as far as i am concerned, if u go down 2 our public schools, u mostly hear people communicate in our local dialects, in lagos itz mostly yoruba, here in okene, na only Ibira people dey blow,,,,,,all dis research about a language dying are just confined to the elites in d society that do not mingle with the street kids........Can somebody tell me how You can grow up in Kano & not speak hausa fluently.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by stagger: 1:46pm On Nov 14, 2013
I was taught my mother tongue before I learnt to speak English. I do not think either language has suffered as a result.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 1:46pm On Nov 14, 2013
Indians love their language...their movies are in punjabvi language

hausas love their language...their movies are in hausa language

yorubas love their language...their movies are in yoruba language

IGBOs love their language...their movies are in ENGLISH LANGUAGE.

Cluelessness

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 1:46pm On Nov 14, 2013
igbo can never go extinct.come to anambra.enugu.imo.abia and ebonyi na only igbo dey dey speak.it is not because all this ajé butter in lag and other parts of the world means it going extinct.come my side if you hear any other language apart from igbo slap me
angry

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 1:47pm On Nov 14, 2013
more reason why secession should be encouraged. it will make d regions quickly adopt the lingua franca as an official language
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by newmaonza: 1:49pm On Nov 14, 2013
ochallo: If those languages were useful, they would not disappear, while languages are disappearing, people are learning other languages. The best thing you can do for your child is to teach him fluent English without the hausa or igbo accent(base language), chinese (second best option) , french or spanish*( third best), german or korean or greek or hindi (fourth category).

But if you want them to become local government chairmen and councillors because your vision is extreemely limited , then go ahead and employ a teacher to teach them the thickest , toughest dialect of your village.

P.s
Zoque-Ayapaneco, an indigenous Mexican language is considered the most likely to become extinct, because the only two people in the world that speak it fluently, do not talk to each other!

And, it's not because they live in different countries, states or even villages - In fact, Manuel Segovia and Isidro Velazquez, both in their 70's, reside within 500 yards of each other, in the village of Ayapa in the Southern Mexican State of Tabasco. They however, refuse to converse because they simply don't have much in common. Segovia is apparently a little 'brusque' in nature whilst Velazquez is described as 'stoic'.

PURE INFERIORITY COMPLEX.

8 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by stevebond007(m): 1:50pm On Nov 14, 2013
look at the age bracket of 0- 18. they speak English at school and come back home speaking English obviously they can comprehend a bit of the mother tongue but don't speak. So when they grow up the tongue is a no no for their Kids.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by stevebond007(m): 1:52pm On Nov 14, 2013
as a Yoruba man I'm scared Yoruba could go extinct before IBO. Hausa is not going to be extinct in the next 1000 years
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Chimzy2(m): 1:53pm On Nov 14, 2013
venous:
i di kwa sure?

Adim very sure..just tell op to come see me in my office
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by NaijaNaWaa: 1:56pm On Nov 14, 2013
homesteady: Hausa is the last language that will ever go into extinction

I don't envy them that much. Majority of them are hardly literate, anyway. It's only in the North that young people living in the cities don't speak nor understand English or any other language outside Hausa. While it is good for their culture, it has diminished their relevance in modern society and partly responsible for their backwardness.

I am an advocate of the sustenance of our indigenous languages but I also know that English Language is the global language. No country or culture can ignore the English language; that's why most youths from non English speaking countries of the world learn and speak English these days.

They don't write computer programs in Igbo, Yoruba and Hausa.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 1:59pm On Nov 14, 2013
Segeggs: Indians love their language...their movies are in punjabvi language

Cluelessness
EWU and you think there is no movie in IGBO, so evrybody who acts home movie in English are IGBOS, pls think undecided undecided

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 1:59pm On Nov 14, 2013
stevebond007: as a Yoruba man I'm scared Yoruba could go extinct before IBO. Hausa is not going to be extinct in the next 1000 years
shut up you this IGBO smoking man, you are not yoruba.

75% of HIT MUSIC in africa contains yoruba language.

Angelique kidjo won 3 grammy awards singing in yoruba and she is from benin republic.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by macof(m): 1:59pm On Nov 14, 2013
toprealman:
As in kilo happen?

Languages are bound to evolve over time. English has dropped more than 200words in the last 300yrs. And imported new words grin

Now modern English has 70% of words that originate from outside Britain
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by macof(m): 1:59pm On Nov 14, 2013
Nimen:

Into Igbo

No into Oodua language

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 2:01pm On Nov 14, 2013
CHESSBOARD:
EWU and you think there is no movie in IGBO, so evrybody who acts home movie in English are IGBOS, pls think undecided undecided
how come we dont see them on shelves in places like idumota, alaba and even in alaigbo dat is pronounced aleegbo?
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 2:02pm On Nov 14, 2013
Segeggs: shut up you this IGBO smoking man, you are not yoruba.

Angelique kidjo won 3 grammy awards singing in yoruba and she is from benin republic.
How many yrs ago did that happen, you dont know that PSquare and Flavour have cause other ppl from other African countries to wanna learn IGBO... pls go to YouTube

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Lilimax(f): 2:02pm On Nov 14, 2013

Cluelessness
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by macof(m): 2:04pm On Nov 14, 2013
Segeggs: shut up you this IGBO smoking man, you are not yoruba.

many yoruba bloods are citizens of Benin. Yorubaland reaches even Togo, and sierra Leone also has thousands of Yoruba indegenes
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by macof(m): 2:05pm On Nov 14, 2013
taiocol: yoruba is the 3rd most spoken language in cuba. Yet there ar so dumb.

so it's language that's making dem dumb aren't u dumb urself

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Teegurlee(f): 2:05pm On Nov 14, 2013
booqee: what about this language of fagafigifogofefe.. Blah blah blah. I think its called enor. Our generation don't know it. Dat one too go disappear
I know a bit of enor. Mogo lege sogo egonongo. Do u understand dat?
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Pchizy: 2:05pm On Nov 14, 2013
It is obviously perplexing, appalling, that even some of our schools do enact a law against this our local langs. Teachers, Parents, Churches and others hands are all needed on deck to proffer a tutelage ground, especially to our children. And all those self-imposed law against our langs should be abrogated and negated.

Bikonu, ka anyi na-asu asusu anyi. Asi na-ana ama mma site n'ulo wee pua n'ezi. Anam asunalu Igbo ulo. Igbo atogbuolam.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 2:06pm On Nov 14, 2013
Segeggs: how come we dont see them on shelves in places like idumota, alaba and even in alaigbo dat is pronounced aleegbo?

because they will rather be shelved in places like Onitsha, Aba or Owerri not Idumota.... and beside whats even the need making to many Igbo movies when half of the words/language used in those so call English Home vidoes are IGBO

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 2:07pm On Nov 14, 2013
Well, all you people should know is that languages evolve. The only way to wipe a language is to kill all the people. that's my opinion anyway.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by sexkillzmother(f): 2:08pm On Nov 14, 2013

Cluelessness
guy dnt be surprise when my boi ban u till 2106, na Sexkillz tribe u dey Yab like this

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 2:09pm On Nov 14, 2013
new maonza:

PURE INFERIORITY COMPLEX.
What is superior in speaking your local dialect? Is it not same dialect 'your people' would sell you with? Inferiority complex my foot! I better learn french or Chinese that would better my prospect globally.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by macof(m): 2:10pm On Nov 14, 2013
The gods bless the Yoruba people, land culture, and language

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 2:11pm On Nov 14, 2013
CHESSBOARD:
How many yrs ago did that happen, you dont know in PSquare and Flavour have cause other ppl from other African country to wanna learn IGBO... pls go to YouTube
shut up you bloody liar!

Psquare sings in 45% pidgin english, 20% english, 10% igbo, 10% yoruba and 5% jargons.

As for flavour, compare him with 9ice and seem like you are comparing mikel obi and usain bolt in terms of speed cos 9ice rocks while flavour sucks.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Lilimax(f): 2:11pm On Nov 14, 2013
Parents should teach their children their native language very early in life.

I am Igbo and I write and speak the language fluently.
I am also making frantic effort to ensure that my children speaks the language too.
So far, they're picking up...

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by taiocol: 2:12pm On Nov 14, 2013
macof:

so it's language that's making dem dumb aren't u dumb urself
dnt get it twisted. The ar dumb in(almost) all worths of life. The igbo ppl ar useless, nd hausa piss of sh!t grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 2:14pm On Nov 14, 2013
CHESSBOARD:

because they will rather be shelved in places like Onitsha, Aba or Owerri not Idumota.... and beside whats even the need making to many Igbo movies when half of the words/language used in those so call English Home vidoes are IGBO
if you cant make all your movies in your language then it is bound to become extinct.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by liloelawwal(m): 2:14pm On Nov 14, 2013
ochallo: If those languages were useful, they would not disappear, while languages are disappearing, people are learning other languages. The best thing you can do for your child is to teach him fluent English without the hausa or igbo accent(base language), chinese (second best option) , french or spanish*( third best), german or korean or greek or hindi (fourth category).

But if you want them to become local government chairmen and councillors because your vision is extreemely limited , then go ahead and employ a teacher to teach them the thickest , toughest dialect of your village.

P.s
Zoque-Ayapaneco, an indigenous Mexican language is considered the most likely to become extinct, because the only two people in the world that speak it fluently, do not talk to each other!

And, it's not because they live in different countries, states or even villages - In fact, Manuel Segovia and Isidro Velazquez, both in their 70's, reside within 500 yards of each other, in the village of Ayapa in the Southern Mexican State of Tabasco. They however, refuse to converse because they simply don't have much in common. Segovia is apparently a little 'brusque' in nature whilst Velazquez is described as 'stoic'.
So some languages ar extinct because dey ar nt important.dis is d most dumb coment ve ever seen.no language is nt important.
So other languages ar more important than ur own heritage?
Dats y u made a lenghty coment dat seem inteligent to u bt nt even a single like

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13)

Igbos Are Truely One Of The Original Jews! / Imoka Festival 2016: The beauty of great Awka culture (pics) / World Biggest Crocodile Is Dead And Ready For Funeral

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.