Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,269 members, 7,970,970 topics. Date: Wednesday, 09 October 2024 at 06:46 PM

Nigeria's Disappearing Languages - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigeria's Disappearing Languages (23602 Views)

Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages / How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? / The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 1:50am On Nov 17, 2013
bigfrancis21:

@Bold...that's one of the reasons the switch to English was made - to increase the industry's income revenue and today Nollywood is the world's second richest movie industry. However, Igbo language movies were not abandoned totally.
igbo language movies will be abandoned lata
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 1:56am On Nov 17, 2013
bigfrancis21:

I'm not comparing. I'm only giving you the position of Nollywood in the world, which happens to be interswitched between tow great nations of the world -America and India.

@Bold...LOL. Who told you that? How can you be so sure? In the past Igbo-language movies sold more than Yoruba movies all over Nigeria. Movies such as Nneka the Pretty serpent, Rattlesnake(Ahanna), Blood Money etc were very popular over Nigeria. Let's go down the memory lane a little. As at 1962, the Yorubas started producing their own films, before any Nigerian tribe, you're aware of this right? Meanwhile the Igbos were busy fighting an unprecedented war in their homeland. Almost 2 decades later, the Igbos launched their own Igbo movie industry which produced Igbo language movies. Between 1985 and 1995, they proudced terrific Igbo-language movies that rocked Igboland and beyond. Talk Igbo movies, talk about Nneka the Pretty serpent, Rattlesnake(Ahanna), Blood Money etc.The climax of this frenzy occurred with the release of Living in Bondage which sold all over Nigeria. By the early 1990s, Igbo language movies had overtaken the Yoruba movies in Nigeria. It was very common to find people of other ethnicities in possession of Igbo movies than Yoruba. We had this Ibibio(from Akwa Ibom) family friend of my dad's. I used to visit his house frequently and I saw his movie collections in his parlor - all were Igbo-Language movies of that time - 90s. Note that as at then, Nollywood as we know it today hadn't been merged together and the name wasn't existing. It is observed that Yoruba movies were rarely sold beyond the SW region. Infact, while growing up as a child I never watched or saw a Yoruba movie live here in the East, even till now, yet Igbo-language movies were being sold in SW.

From history, it is clear that your argument is baseless. If Igbos act Igbo-only movies, believe me they'll make great sales as well. The natural business acumen is already.

Igbos started making movies much later than Yorubas who were the first but today Igbos have overtaken. Look what they did out of Nollywood. Had Nigeria depended on Yoruba movies only - which sell mostly in the SW, Nollywood wouldn't have been where it is today. Its a simple admission of the truth.
@bold is that not English title
I mean an igbo movie,speaking igbo fluently,and subtitled in English.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 1:58am On Nov 17, 2013
U are dodging most of d questions am asking you

All about money!.
Am not talking about d money generated 4rom those movies.
But how it will improve ur culture.

Igbo movies are English movies.#shikena
.if igbo want to start acting movies,speaking igbo fluently like those yoruba films.they can't sell
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by bigfrancis21: 8:59am On Nov 17, 2013
Arcsniper: @bold is that not English title
I mean an igbo movie,speaking igbo fluently,and subtitled in English.

All those were Igbo-language movies though they had English titles. Don't tell me you haven't watched any of those movies?
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by bigfrancis21: 9:02am On Nov 17, 2013
Arcsniper: U are dodging most of d questions am asking you

All about money!.
Am not talking about d money generated 4rom those movies.
But how it will improve ur culture.

Igbo movies are English movies.#shikena
.if igbo want to start acting movies,speaking igbo fluently like those yoruba films.they can't sell

I think I answered all your questions. Which question haven't I answered?

@bold...that is fallacious. What is your basis for such statement when in the past Igbo-language movies were sold all over Nigeria and Yoruba movies in SW only?
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 9:24am On Nov 17, 2013
bigfrancis21:

I think I answered all your questions. Which question haven't I answered?

@bold...that is fallacious. What is your basis for such statement when in the past Igbo-language movies were sold all over Nigeria and Yoruba movies in SW only?

u haven't answer all but never mind.
I haven't watched any of d above film
I have never watched a film.hearing people speaking igbo from beginning to the end.
But av seen hausa movies like that.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 9:53am On Nov 17, 2013
u haven't answer all but never mind.
I have never watched a film.hearing people speaking igbo from beginning to the end.
Dia channels for hausa/yoruba movie.anybody can watch them across Africa.
when I was much younger my mum will only allow us to watch africanmagic.yoruba or any other news channels.if you are not interested then you go and buy your own.
I understand and learn alot of things,many proverbs i got their meaning from dia.hearing it and reading d subtitle.i understand alot about the culture,and surely our yoruba will become more fluent in d house.
What happens to an igbo man children.they are watching English movies.what do you think will happen to those children.English words is added to dia vocabulary,they will become more interested in English. Imagine next generations of igbo watching English movies.

If they are still selling igbo movies.i mean a movie that igbo is spoken.i have never seen any in abuja here.i have seen alot of yoruba movies.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by igboboy1(m): 10:02am On Nov 17, 2013
Arcsniper: u haven't answer all but never mind.
when I was much younger my mum will only allow us to watch africanmagic.yoruba or any other news channels.if you are not interested then you go and buy your own.
I understand and learn alot of things,many proverbs i got their meaning from dia.hearing it and reading d subtitle.i understand alot about the culture,and surely our yoruba will become more fluent in d house.
What happens to an igbo man children.they are watching English movies.what do you think will happen to those children.English words is added to dia vocabulary,they will become more interested in English. Imagine next generations of igbo watching English movies.

If they are still selling igbo movies.i mean a movie that igbo is spoken.i have never seen any in abuja here.i have seen alot of yoruba movies.

nna go and sleep nau....dem dey pay you?
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by bigfrancis21: 10:47am On Nov 17, 2013

I get your point. Watching the language movies will help improve one's language level, yea. Watching the Igbo-language movies on my laptop has enabled me pick some Igbo proverbs, words, etc.

This is the downside to the Igbo people's use of English to produce movies.

My recommendation will be to increase the number of Igbo language movies being produced to be at par with the English movies. That way, the language preservation efforts will be heralded and appreciated by means of the Igbo movies and major the financial revenue generation will be coming from the English sector.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by bigfrancis21: 10:47am On Nov 17, 2013

I get your point. Watching the language movies will help improve one's language level, yea. Watching the Igbo-language movies on my laptop has enabled me pick some Igbo proverbs, words, etc.

My recommendation will be to increase the number of Igbo language movies being produced to be at par with the English movies. That way, the language preservation efforts will be heralded and appreciated by means of the Igbo movies and major the financial revenue generation will be coming from the English sector.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 10:51am On Nov 17, 2013
igbo boy:

nna go and sleep nau....dem dey pay you?
thats what u are after
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 10:55am On Nov 17, 2013
bigfrancis21:

i don't think they will do that.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 11:09am On Nov 17, 2013
The english part of nollywood can be claimed by all TRIBES in nigeria, even ghana, cos they have their actors there. Also ENGLAND can lay claim to it cos its their language that is spoken. But can such be said of the yoruba part of of nollywood? No.

If you people say that you switched to english just for global appeal which earns you alot of pay, then i'll conform to the believe in nigeria that an igbo man can use his mother for rituals so long money is involved cos its in thesame vain you neglect your language, land and culture as you migrate to other regions to do business.

@Bigfrancis

admit it, you people have failed in the movies in terms of language. Its not too late to change as pride in culture is greater than riches.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 11:17am On Nov 17, 2013
bigfrancis21:

why do you take pride in lieing? What made igbo language movies sell than yoruba movies and is watched by the whole of nigeria? Is that the igbo language which is difficult to understand and speak was loved by the hausas whom you people have no alliance with? Stop decieving people. Yorubas even had more movies than the igbos.

Just accept it, you people failed.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by bigfrancis21: 11:29am On Nov 17, 2013
Arcsniper: i don't think they will do that.

On the obverse side, they are doing so already. There's been a huge increase in Igbo films being produced since 2012.

https://www.nairaland.com/1146608/revival-igbo-movies-some-actors

And these movies have proved to be great successes as well, compared to their English counterparts. Movies such as Onye Eze, Ada Mbano, Ajum Ikwa Iko, etc.

There's a latest Igbo-language movie in town -
Onye Ozi, shot on location in UK starring Okey Bakassi, Ngozi Igwebike and British stars in which British people were speaking Igbo.

Obi Addressing Pressmen in Lagos.

The movie, Onye Ozi, tells the story of Metumaribe (Okey Bakassi) fresh into London with high expectations and a two-year plan to return to Nigeria a rich man. However, life in London with his new ‘wife’ Mkpurunma (Ngozi Igwebike) is not going to plan. On one fateful night, TJ an old English man (Stephen Moriaty) is chased by masked men and shot in front of his eyes. As Metu attempts to help the dying man, he hands Metu an envelope and whispers a message as he takes his last breath. From that point on, Metu becomes involved in a psychological but hilarious adventure that will change his life and the lives of those around him forever.

The movie will be one of the biggest movies of 2013 and premiered on Friday October 18, 2013 in UK.

The new film [Onye Ozi] was premiered in London on Oct. 18 and watched in 60 different countries that same day including Saudi Arabia. Onye Ozi is hoped to become successfully accepted like, Living in Bondage, the first ever Igbo film in Nigeria to be subtitled in English.

“It’s a nice film which tells a contemporary story of us today,” Obi tells press men in Lagos, “It doesn’t restrict its audience and favors no one” he adds. With the appearance of white men/women speaking the Igbo language in the movie, Obi says, “It was one of the major challenges we had. They [whites] had to study the language as fast as they could and had to sound like they were not amateurs.” Another challenge was getting actors on set on time. “It also wasn’t easy getting actors in London since most of them work and act at the same time an getting non-famous faces too was a huge risk but we are glad we had had a great result” Obi explains.

You can watch the movie trailer here:

http://pulse.ng/2013/11/13/onye-ozi-first-igbo-language-film-to-hit-nigerian-cinemas/

http://www.bellanaija.com/2013/10/11/life-is-not-greener-on-the-other-side-all-you-need-to-know-about-obi-emelonyes-igbo-speaking-film-onye-ozi-starring-okey-bakassi-rising-british-stars/

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by bigfrancis21: 11:35am On Nov 17, 2013
Segeggs: The english part of nollywood can be claimed by all TRIBES in nigeria, even ghana, cos they have their actors there. Also ENGLAND can lay claim to it cos its their language that is spoken. But can such be said of the yoruba part of of nollywood? No.

If you people say that you switched to english just for global appeal which earns you alot of pay, then i'll conform to the believe in nigeria that an igbo man can use his mother for rituals so long money is involved cos its in thesame vain you neglect your language, land and culture as you migrate to other regions to do business.

@Bigfrancis

admit it, you people have failed in the movies in terms of language. Its not too late to change as pride in culture is greater than riches.

Sorry, we didn't fail. We might not be producing much Igbo language movies but when we do, we do it the big way and export it all over the world. The latest Igbo language movie in town, Onye Ozi, was premiered in London just last month and it was watched in over 60 countries world wide. British actors acted the movie and were speaking good Igbo in the movie. This is only a premiere with the movie yet to be released and brought to Nigeria yet look at the worldwide fame and success it has gained already.

This is only just one of it. When Igbo movies are stepped up in level of production, believe me, Yoruba movies will be nowhere to be found. The whole of Nigeria and Africa will love them. Believe me, Igbo movie producers know how to attract the world's attention.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by bigfrancis21: 11:36am On Nov 17, 2013
Segeggs: why do you take pride in lieing? What made igbo language movies sell than yoruba movies and is watched by the whole of nigeria? Is that the igbo language which is difficult to understand and speak was loved by the hausas whom you people have no alliance with? Stop decieving people. Yorubas even had more movies than the igbos.

Just accept it, you people failed.

Today, Yorubas have more language movies than Igbo. I never insinuated the opposite. However, before the switch to English was made, when Igbo language movies were being acted, they were sold in more numbers all over Nigeria than their Yoruba counterparts which were restricted to the South West zone.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 11:44am On Nov 17, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Sorry, we didn't fail. We might not be producing much Igbo language movies but when we do, we do it the big way and export it all over the world. The latest Igbo movie in town, Onye Ozi, was premiered in London and watched in over 60 countries world wide. This is only a premiere and the movie is yet to be released and brought to Nigeria yet look at the worldwide fame and success it has gained already.

This is only just one of it. When Igbo movies are stepped up in level
only onye ozi? angry

compared dat to the countless mainframe blockbusters beign exported.

As long as the igbo movies dont surpass the english counterparts like yoruba movies do then i'll consider it a failure.

Stop googling for information. Not beign able to find such information on the nigerian streets and everyday living shows how dead such projects are.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 11:48am On Nov 17, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Today, Yorubas have more language movies than Igbo. I never insinuated the opposite. However, before the switch to English was made, when Igbo language movies were being acted, they were sold in more numbers all over Nigeria than their Yoruba counterparts which were restricted to the South West zone.
where is the source to this LIE of yours?
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 11:58am On Nov 17, 2013
Yoruba movies is not restricted to sw regions alone.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by macof(m): 12:11pm On Nov 17, 2013
grin big Francis is just being patriotic to his ethnic nation. however it's important to be rational and unbiased

Nollywood English movies aren't controlled by Igbos alone, Yoruba directors and producers are doing Great work especially Kunle Afolayan(arguably Nigeria's best movie producers/director)
Actors are doing ok too, there's Olu Jacobs that usually acts in Igbo setting, Omotola, Ramsey Noah and many others.

Then the pure Yoruba movies are also part of Nollywood, solely controlled by Yoruba

Both Yoruba and Igbo puts alot in the movies.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by bigfrancis21: 1:09pm On Nov 17, 2013
macof: grin big Francis is just being patriotic to his ethnic nation. however it's important to be rational and unbiased

Nollywood English movies aren't controlled by Igbos alone, Yoruba directors and producers are doing Great work especially Kunle Afolayan(arguably Nigeria's best movie producers/director)
Actors are doing ok too, there's Olu Jacobs that usually acts in Igbo setting, Omotola, Ramsey Noah and many others.

Then the pure Yoruba movies are also part of Nollywood, solely controlled by Yoruba

Both Yoruba and Igbo puts alot in the movies.

@Bold...Kunle Afolayan is the best movie director/producer whatever in the Yoruba movie industry and not in the whole of Nollywood. Chico Ejiro is the best in the whole of Nollywood. His name, not Kunle's, is in international records.

Igbo actors feature in Yoruba movies just as Yoruba actors feature in Igbo movies. The presence of a few Yoruba actors mainly Funke Akinele, Olu Jacobs, Ramsey Nouah, and Omotola doesn't make Nollywood any less Igbo owned and dominated. AGN is headed and controlled by Igbos.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 1:14pm On Nov 17, 2013
bigfrancis21:

@Bold...Kunle Afolayan is the best movie director/producer whatever in the Yoruba movie industry and not in the whole of Nollywood. Chico Ejiro is the best in the whole of Nollywood. His name, not Kunle's, is in international records.

Igbo actors feature in Yoruba movies just as Yoruba actors feature in Igbo movies. The presence of a few Yoruba actors mainly Funke Akinele, Olu Jacobs, Ramsey Nouah, and Omotola doesn't make Nollywood any less Igbo owned and dominated. AGN is headed and controlled by Igbos.

u are trying to say that all English Nigeria films are igbo films.
Any film that English is spoken is an igbo film.??..thats why dia is no africanmagic.igbo
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Fulaman198(m): 1:30pm On Nov 17, 2013
Segeggs: The english part of nollywood can be claimed by all TRIBES in nigeria, even ghana, cos they have their actors there. Also ENGLAND can lay claim to it cos its their language that is spoken. But can such be said of the yoruba part of of nollywood? No.

@Bigfrancis

Not really so in Kannywood movies for people who speak and understand Hausa.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by bigfrancis21: 1:36pm On Nov 17, 2013
Segeggs: only onye ozi? angry

compared dat to the countless mainframe blockbusters beign exported.

As long as the igbo movies dont surpass the english counterparts like yoruba movies do then i'll consider it a failure.

Stop googling for information. Not beign able to find such information on the nigerian streets and everyday living shows how dead such projects are.

Onye ozi is just the starting point. The movie alone unarguably beats your 20 best of this year put together in terms of gross earnings, international viewing and audience, better camera quality and good movie script.

@Bold...I wonder the kind of reasoning you display. How can you say Yoruba movies surpass Igbo-English movies in volume? Do you even know anything about movie viewing audience? The last population census put Yoruba at 38 million, including babies, toddlers, children, teenagers, adults, and the old. Out of the 38 million, how many watch Yoruba movies constantly? Say 12 million. While the Igbo-English movies which has viewing audiences all over Nigeria, Ghana, Benin, South Africa, Kenya, the rest of Africa and all over the world has hundreds of millions of viewers. How can you compare 12 million Yoruba movie watchers with over 100 million English-Igbo movie watchers worldwide?

Do you know about numbers and data extrapolation at all?

Talking about the Yoruba movie industry, is it the poor English subtitling full of errors that we should analyse? Or the constant featuring of native doctors? Or the half-baked Yoruba aka Engiliyoruba being spoken in the movies? Or is it the fact that poverty is wrecking the industry and their actors/actresses?

The article below gives a deeper insight into the Yoruba Movie Industry. Poverty is raging across the Yoruba movie industry, and affecting the actors and actresses. Even the so-called high-budget yoruba movies have never made more than N3m before. Meanwhile its counterpart, Ije the high-budget Igbo movie shot on location in Nigeria and US, grossed $2,500,000 or N400,000,000 (400 million naira) in budget. Compare 400 million naira with meagre 3 million naira. Not to talk of other Igbo high-budget movies such as Osuofia in London(the first Nigerian film to be acted outside Nigeria), Mirror Boy(shot on location abroad), Onye Ozi etc.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1578582/business?mode=desktop

Quite a number of perks come with being a movie star in this part of the world. They include designer clothes, luxury cars and posh apartments. Apart from their penchant for such status symbols, today’s Nollywood actors and actresses are also seen as role models, especially to the young and impressionable who dream of becoming stars some day.

But, judging by the results of a recent investigation conducted by Saturday Beats, it appears all that glitters is not gold, after all.

Contrary to popular opinion, the life of the average Yoruba movie star is that of constant ‘suffering and smiling’.

In spite of the fabulous profiles and immense goodwill enjoyed by some of these celebrated screen gods and goddesses, the contents of their bank accounts are really nothing to be cheerful about.

Even the ‘alarming’ increase in the volume of home video films produced in Yoruba language ought to be sufficient to improve the bank balances of such celebrities. To make matters worse, many of them suffer from a financial disease known as ‘Withdrawal Symptom.’ In fact, it is no longer news that a good number are regular visitors to ATMs.

“As soon as money is paid into their bank accounts, you will see them rushing to the nearest ATM to withdraw almost all the cash,” an amused banker told Saturday Beats recently.

Certainly it is difficult to believe that no reasonably successful Yoruba actor or actress has ever been paid up to N500, 000 for a lead role in any movie. Half a million seems a fantastic sum by all indications. Instead, the maximum fee payable to the best actor or actress has remained between N150k and N250k. Even many of the ‘veterans’ receive as low as N10k to appear in a film feature.

However, the so-called big budget film productions have never exceeded the N3m mark despite the fact that a lot of money goes into paying the crew and cast.
Money is also spent on production equipment, lights, costumes, makeups, transport, food, accommodation, generating plant sets, and other logistics/incidental expenses. That is also why most of the cast and crew are grateful when the filmmaker or marketer, who bankrolls the production, is able to hand them paltry sums of money.

“You can count on your fingers the number of individuals involved in the production who respectively got paid less than N50,000,” a production hand says. Also included in the budget are the editing suite staff, copies of empty VCDs to be dubbed, posters and film jackets to be printed, marketing and distribution.

Now we know why most of the highly paid or underpaid actors/actresses are writing their own movie scripts and directing or producing their own movie projects, as well as saturating the market with volumes of half-baked home videos every week.

http://www.punchng.com/entertainment/life-beat/shocking-earnings-of-yoruba-movie-stars/
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by bigfrancis21: 1:39pm On Nov 17, 2013
Segeggs: where is the source to this LIE of yours?

LOL. The release of the Igbo-language movie, Living in Bondage, in the early 90s sold in millions all over Nigeria, trumping its Yoruba movie counterparts 10 times over and was the catalyst to the success of Nollywood today. Meanwhile Yoruba movies had been produced since 1962 and never ventured beyond south west to garner nationwide acceptance and acclaim.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by bigfrancis21: 1:53pm On Nov 17, 2013
Arcsniper:
u are trying to say that all English Nigeria films are igbo films.
Any film that English is spoken is an igbo film.??..thats why dia is no africanmagic.igbo

The culture and tradition being shown in the movies are Igbo culture and traditions, the Kingship, or Igweship, the Igbo words(nna anyi, igwe, mba, biko etc), are Igbo. And most of the actors are Igbo actors who speak English. That's what makes it an Igbo movie because its dominated by Igbos. In the East here, we natively call Nollywood movies Igbo movies or home videos because they are native to us. Its our culture and tradition that are being show cased in the movie.

Please the above language you just wrote in, what is it? Does that make you an Oyibo? When foreigners see 3 Nigerians communicating in English, do they call them English people?

When Yoruba people gather in public settings and speak English, are they English people?

If Yorubas should release an English language movie tomorrow, even though the film is in English, the movie will still be called a Yoruba movie because the Yoruba culture is shown in it and Yorubas dominate in it.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 2:13pm On Nov 17, 2013
bigfrancis21:

LOL. The release of the Igbo-language movie, Living in Bondage, in the early 90s sold in millions all over Nigeria, trumping its Yoruba movie counterparts 10 times over and was the catalyst of the success of Nollywood today. Meanwhile Yoruba movies had been produced since 1962 never ventured beyond south west to garner nationwide acceptance and acclaim.
where is the SOURCE to this new LIE of yours?

So you admit that yoruba movies industry has been prnducing since 1962 way before the igbos who later suffered in a civil war during that period.

How did you know that their movies never ventured beyond SW? Were you born then or an ibo-made google informed you?

You claimed igbo language movies cut across nigerian while the yoruba movies didnt. What are proof? A tribe that had their ground as FCT (lagos)which brought more people closer to their culture should be the tribe whose movies cut-across.Samething taking place in music as 75% of hit music contains yoruba language more than any other language e.g timaya, faze, 2face, naeto c, dr sid, don jazzy, dprince, m.i, terry g etc all of which arent yoruba boys. Have you forgotten that other citizens scorned and still scorn you people after the war and secretly classify you as second class citizens politically? What did you know in the 80's in which you were born if at all you were born then?

@fulaman @macof@arcspinder etc have all seen through your tribal sentiments so quit that ibo-made google of yours.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 2:27pm On Nov 17, 2013
@Bigfrancis

what has population census figures got to do with the number of movies released by tribes in nigerian? You must be funny.

You are talking about the travails of the yoruba industry, can you mention just one travail suffered by the igbo-LANGUAGE movies? None, cos they dont exist to even suffer any. Tell me that it is all english actors that enjoy and i'll call you a fat liar in a world of piracy with directors owing actors. I guess that cheap and unknown source you got your fowl gist from is owned by you.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by bigfrancis21: 2:37pm On Nov 17, 2013
Segeggs: where is the SOURCE to this new LIE of yours?

So you admit that yoruba movies industry has been prnducing since 1962 way before the igbos who later suffered in a civil war during that period.

How did you know that their movies never ventured beyond SW? Were you born then or an ibo-made google informed you?

You claimed igbo language movies cut across nigerian while the yoruba movies didnt. What are proof? A tribe that had their ground as FCT (lagos)which brought more people closer to their culture should be the tribe whose movies cut-across.Samething taking place in music as 75% of hit music contains yoruba language more than any other language e.g timaya, faze, 2face, naeto c, dr sid, don jazzy, dprince, m.i, terry g etc all of which arent yoruba boys. Have you forgotten that other citizens scorned and still scorn you people after the war and secretly classify you as second class citizens politically? What did you know in the 80's in which you were born if at all you were born then?

@fulaman @macof@arcspinder etc have all seen through your tribal sentiments so quit that ibo-made google of yours.

I already dropped the source before. You didn't see it. I guess its a reading comprehension. Here's the source again:

The release of the box-office movie Living in Bondage in 1992 by NEK Video Links owned by Kenneth Nnebue in the eastern city of Onitsha set
the stage for Nollywood as it is known today.
The story goes that Nnebue had an excess number of imported video cassettes which he then used to shoot the first film. Its huge success set the pace for others to produce other films or home videos. Through the business instincts and ethnic links of the Igbo and their dominance of distribution in major cities across Nigeria, home videos began to reach people across the country.

Nigeria was ushered into modern film making by a film known as Living in Bondage, which featured Kenneth Okonwo, Kanayo O. Kanayo, Bob Manuel Udokwu, Francis Agu, Ngozi Nwosu, Nnenna Nwabueze, etc. This movie, which hit the market in 1992, marked a turning point in the Nigerian movie industry and heralded the trend in modern-day movie making in Nigeria.

The movie capital of the country was in Lagos. However, over the years, there has been a shift from Lagos to Enugu, in the eastern part of the country. This shift is said to be championed by Pete Edochie, a veteran in the communications industry who turned an actor and has become one of the most successful in Nigeria.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201211090280.html?maneref=http%3A%2F%2Fen.m.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FFilm_industry&mstac=0

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinema_of_Nigeria
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinema_of_Nigeria

@strikethrough...Fulaman slayed some of your points.

@bold...Yoruba is popular in Nigerian Hip hop music because Nigerian hip hop music originated in Ajegunle, Lagos state which is Yorubaland. On the other hand, the Nigerian movie industry is Igbo-dominated(AGN) because it was started by Igbos and has been run by them ever since.

However, recently Igbo musicians and rappers have broken the popular belief that in order to have your music sell, you must sing in Yoruba. Igbo musicians have released hit musics in Igbo language as well. Talk of Igbo musicians talk about Nigger Raw, Flavour N'abania, J Martins, Phyno, Lynxx, P Square, Ill Bliss, Ikechukwu etc. Just recently, at the Nigeria's 2013 Music Videos Award, Flavour N'abania trumped all other Nigerian musicians by winning four different awards and won the best music video of they year(Ada Ada). This is an artist who rose from nothing into fame by singing purely in Igbo language. Flavour, P Square and others have proven that you can make hit track musics in Igbo language.

Your post contains lies. Don Jazzy, being a music producer, rarely sings in Yoruba. MI doesn't sing in Yoruba. He raps only in pidgin English. And Terry G is a yoruba boy. Naeto C sings mostly in Pidgin English as well. The yoruba song which you'll rush to claim hold of wasn't his own but D'Banj's where he featured Naeto C in it. Faze and Dprince being lagos-brought up boys have sung some songs with Yoruba lyrics. Chidinma too, another Lagos brought up Igbo.

Recently, there's been an increase in Igbo-language rappers in the music industry. Ikechukwu, Ill Bliss, Phyno etc. Phyno is one of the latest and best rappers in Nigeria of recent times.

Even other musicians have begun singing in Igbo. TuFace's, an Enugu boy who loves the coal city town of Enugu, sings mostly in Pidgin English. His latest hit track of 2012, 'ihe neme' was in Igbo. Timaya's latest hit track 'Ukwu' had Igbo lyrics in it. Iyanya also released another one containing Igbo lyrics in it called 'Lekwa Ukwu'. Igbo language was important to Timaya's success in the music industry. Between 2007 to 2010, most of Timaya's songs contained Igbo lyrics.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by bigfrancis21: 2:52pm On Nov 17, 2013
Segeggs: @Bigfrancis

what has population census figures got to do with the number of movies released by tribes in nigerian? You must be funny.

You are talking about the travails of the yoruba industry, can you mention just one travail suffered by the igbo-LANGUAGE movies? None, cos they dont exist to even suffer any. Tell me that it is all english actors that enjoy and i'll call you a fat liar in a world of piracy with directors owing actors. I guess that cheap and unknown source you got your fowl gist from is owned by you.

My friend, you're beginning to sound baseless and pointless. You can't lie in your bedroom and claim yoruba movies are more becasuse you've lived all your life in Yoruba land and have never ventured outside SW before to see what's happening in the world at large.

@bold...population figures have a direct effect on the number of movies being released. Any country with a small population automatically has a small viewing audience and not many movies will be produced so as to not fall into a financial loss. And vice versa. The largest 4 movie industries in the world today are Hollywood, Bollywood, Nollywood and the Chinese-movie industry. Why? Because of the huge population of these countries. US, India, Nigeria and China are over-populated in number with census figures running over 140 million people. Please, population figures are iconic to a movie industry's success.

The success of Nollywood today is attributed to AGN and its production of English-language movies.

The use of English rather than local languages expanded the market and aggressive marketing using posters, trailers, and television advertising
also played a role in Nollywood's success.
Through the business instincts and ethnic links of the Igbo and their dominance of distribution in major cities across Nigeria, home videos began to reach people across the country. Nollywood exploded into a booming industry that pushed
foreign media off the shelves, an industry now marketed all over Africa and the rest of the world.

One of the first Nigerian movies to reach international renown was the 2003 release Osuofia in London, starring Nkem Owoh, the famous Nigerian comedic actor. Modern Nigerian cinema’s most prolific
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinema_of_Nigeria

The article specifically referred to the English-language movies which are Igbo-owned, and not the Yoruba movies, as being the catalyst of Nollywood's success and fame today. What does that mean? Nollywood is successful today because of its English-language movies which has a very large viewing audience worldwide.

Sorry, that's coming from CNN, BBC, the Vanguard UK, IMDB, which are all foreign websites, and not me. smiley

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13)

Igbos Are Truely One Of The Original Jews! / Imoka Festival 2016: The beauty of great Awka culture (pics) / World Biggest Crocodile Is Dead And Ready For Funeral

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.