Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,271 members, 7,928,906 topics. Date: Friday, 23 August 2024 at 03:23 AM

In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? (7718 Views)

Would You Eat This Strange Looking Yam(photos) / Pictures Of A Yam That Resembles A Folded Fist / Picture Of A Nairalander Pounding Crayfish In The Village (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by UmmRumy(f): 6:00pm On Nov 20, 2013
I no get anyone. Na poundo yam we dey chop 4 my house. I know someone that uses her food processor though.
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Nov 20, 2013
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by Water9430(m): 6:37pm On Nov 20, 2013
[quote author=Wislet]cocoyam, if not well pounded, will have Lumps not seeds.
Thanks for the correction but the msg was passed.
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by Lukatarule(m): 6:40pm On Nov 20, 2013
def lover: pounding yam is more of skill and not strength....if you know what you to do...hitting the pistil right is key
def lover: pounding yam is more of skill and not strength....if you know what you to do...hitting the pistil right is key
am a Tiv boy. The Tiv people are wel known in term of yam,so believe me, pounding yam has to do wit skils n strenth.
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by bluuu: 7:04pm On Nov 20, 2013
I weigh 50kg yet I can pound. I think its more of skill than strength,my opinion tho
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by esorison(m): 5:57am On Nov 21, 2013
Both are needed to make a good paste. Having the skill without the strength, you won't be able to throw the pestle while having the strength without the skill would result to providing a seeded paste
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by wilbertchaniwa: 6:01am On Nov 21, 2013
This is a serious matter. One needs to undergo training for pounding
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by seunwen2(m): 7:09am On Nov 21, 2013
skill i get strength pass my mum but she is good in pounding yam
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by LadyH(f): 8:29am On Nov 21, 2013
no doubt. skill. livingwitness.
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by Afritop(m): 10:30am On Nov 21, 2013
Tone tonz: My mum is a typical akoko woman.there was a time when we eat poundedyam everysunday until power change hands,now it has been just twice in two weeks.The problem here is that I can't just pound.I am 5'4,48kg,where will the strength come from,when i pick the pestle within five minutes i just get tired.am i being lazy?have decided to stop eating it though and it is shameful my younger sister pounds well.she is way bigger than me..so,to pound yam,skill or strength.which is more important?
I never imagined that a thread like this will come up. My mama is also a typical Akoko to the core and we do pound every sundays and some weekdays. However to pound yam it requires skills than strenght because it is a step by step approach. First to start with in Yoruba: Wa koko
Pa iyan yen (Jab the pounded yam)
Gun iyan yen (pound the pounded yam)
Rin iyan yen dada (twist, skew and transpose the pounded yam very well) after pounding the yam with blows from the pestle
NOTE: To twist the pounded yam needs a lot of skill and experience
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by Nobody: 10:40am On Nov 21, 2013
Skillz
My olda broda cn pound but I pound beta dan him,nd he's stronger too.
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by AbdulQ1(m): 12:17pm On Nov 21, 2013
pounded yam needs skill mostly throughout the process, when you use strength it becomes indirectly proportional to time and stress. but with good skill you save time and stress accumulated hence direct proportionality. Man is miss physics smiley
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by Xtybrainer(f): 2:03pm On Nov 21, 2013
Tone tonz: My mum is a typical akoko woman.there was a time when we eat poundedyam everysunday until power change hands,now it has been just twice in two weeks.The problem here is that I can't just pound.I am 5'4,48kg,where will the strength come from,when i pick the pestle within five minutes i just get tired.am i being lazy?have decided to stop eating it though and it is shameful my younger sister pounds well.she is way bigger than me..so,to pound yam,skill or strength.which is more important?
In pounding yam,skill is the most important thing needed,skill is the latter while strenght the former.
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by Toppiano(m): 4:28pm On Nov 21, 2013
Love it pounded!!!
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
grin
I have started pounding at age 14 and I have over 17 years pounding experience grin. I now live in Lagos and I have not pounded this year but anytime I enter vila and I pound all the poundables... Team Pounded Yam all the way grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Afterall, I am OMO IJESHA ORIGINAL
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by firestar(f): 4:46pm On Nov 21, 2013
Both.

And with resolve too.
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by ademipeju(f): 10:28pm On Nov 21, 2013
Both
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by Tonetonz(f): 7:36am On Nov 22, 2013
krugar07: 4' 5", 84kg you meant? grin grin. Cuz ur meant to have enough strength to handle it. grin
am 5'4 48kg,i thought as much too
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by krugar07(m): 8:38am On Nov 22, 2013
Tone tonz: am 5'4 48kg,i thought as much too
weight =/= strength, you know.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

vs / How To Make Kunun Zaki (millet Drink Recipe) / Kishkit Delight Vegetable Salads: Order For Your Tasty Salad [50% Discount]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.