Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,602 members, 7,951,517 topics. Date: Tuesday, 17 September 2024 at 05:26 PM

Nigeria Economy Expands To 6.81% In Third Quarter - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Economy Expands To 6.81% In Third Quarter (4453 Views)

Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG / Taraba Govt Declares 7 Pm To 6 Am Curfew As Election Violence Escalates / President Jonathan Has An 81% Approval Rating: Gallup Poll (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Economy Expands To 6.81% In Third Quarter by pistol: 11:54am On Nov 19, 2013
Capital intensive infastructuralal projects will give the growth curve a leap but it won't necessarily drive employment and reduce proverty...it is normally the service sector.
But can we afford to increase our service sector,increase personnel cost and neglect infrastructure development.
Can both go hand in hand?
Re: Nigeria Economy Expands To 6.81% In Third Quarter by anonimi: 12:03pm On Nov 19, 2013
BabaAlabi: Improvement In the power sector-None
Improvement In Security-None
Improvement In Education and Health-None
Improvement on Paper-YES.
Yet paid laptop boys who would willingly sell their family for 20,000 are screaming fresh air!!
#NigeriaPleaseWakeUp

You surely need to wake up first before you advise others.
How much of the responsibility of states and LGAs in the education (primary, vocational/technical & secondary) as well as in health (primary health centres & general hospitals) have they carried out successfully and adequately
I hope you are sharp enough to see the link with employment generation and impact on security.
Let us continue to sit down there and keep expecting the president to DO ALL while our governors and LGA chairmen are looting us blind shocked

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Economy Expands To 6.81% In Third Quarter by anonimi: 12:06pm On Nov 19, 2013
pistol: Capital intensive infastructuralal projects will give the growth curve a leap but it won't necessarily drive employment and reduce proverty...it is normally the service sector.
But can we afford to increase our service sector,increase personnel cost and neglect infrastructure development.

Yes......if there is much reduced stealing at the state and LGA level so they can employ teachers, nurses, doctors, other health workers, monitors etc to deliver on their responsibilities in these sectors.

Furthermore the ongoing re-focus on agric will generate employment but it won't happen overnight and we need to be ready to work just as the government needs to reward hard work and not just those who are rich by any means possible.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Economy Expands To 6.81% In Third Quarter by akintun: 12:13pm On Nov 19, 2013
A recession growth rate as usual. Anything lower than 12% is recession.
Re: Nigeria Economy Expands To 6.81% In Third Quarter by Nobody: 12:21pm On Nov 19, 2013
MAYOWAAK: One of the problems of using GDP to measure the health of the economy is that you can have a situation in a country where some individuals can have an unfair proportion of the output of the country. It is even more problematic when what they get is significantly disproportional to their input as a situation where you have people who have a lot of money without having a business that is creating wealth or employment. That kind of economy is likely to create a lot of social crises and tensions. Why? If you have no jobs being created as a result of growth, which is what we have in Nigeria now, the so-called jobless growth economy, the tendency that you will have many people who will become militants, insurgents and many people who will take to a lot of crime – obviously, when you have that kind of situation, we can also say that you don’t have development. The most meaningful development is the one that creates a lot of middle class. There might be a few people outstandingly rich and a few people very poor, but most people will generally be middle class people who can live decent quality of life, send their children to good schools, have the means of going to and fro places that are essential, and have their homes. A situation where a few people get very wealthy can be broken into two: a few people getting wealthy with production, as was in the case with Brazil, and a few people getting wealth with very little production where national revenue is mainly extracted as rent or stolen by the way of corruption, as is the case in Nigeria. So the use of GDP as the basis for evaluating economic growth has limited value in terms of issues that are before us.
Gbam. STAMPED. Nigeria's growth is classified as NON INCLUSIVE GROWTH, as this growth has not increased the disposable income of the majority. What worries me the most is that this country has a weak industrial base.
Re: Nigeria Economy Expands To 6.81% In Third Quarter by Nobody: 12:27pm On Nov 19, 2013
pistol: Capital intensive infastructuralal projects will give the growth curve a leap but it won't necessarily drive employment and reduce proverty...it is normally the service sector.
Infrastructure is very important to development. I'm currently working on an Economic model that will use Education, Infrastructural development and agricultural processing chains to drive development. Agricultural processing meaning for example siting a tomato paste factory in Kano state. Since the tomatoes are grown in close proximity it will develop the area. I will expand later.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Economy Expands To 6.81% In Third Quarter by disloman(m): 12:53pm On Nov 19, 2013
iterator25:
Many of them are lazy, all they do is sit home waiting to be spoon fed by the government
Do FG feed them?U r a foo.l 4 such statement.U workaholic,wetin u don achieve?Mo.ron
Re: Nigeria Economy Expands To 6.81% In Third Quarter by iterator25: 12:56pm On Nov 19, 2013
disloman: Do FG feed them?U r a foo.l 4 such statement.U workaholic,wetin u don achieve?Mo.ron
I've achieved more than your entire family(combined )

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Economy Expands To 6.81% In Third Quarter by iterator25: 12:59pm On Nov 19, 2013
Hikky: Earn cool cash,click this link http:/www.50dollarjob.com
ok
Re: Nigeria Economy Expands To 6.81% In Third Quarter by mikron(m): 1:00pm On Nov 19, 2013
after govt begin to dey give us light constantly the economy go improve more than dis. more companies go spring up and the economy go beta

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Economy Expands To 6.81% In Third Quarter by iterator25: 1:07pm On Nov 19, 2013
mikron: after govt begin to dey give us light constantly the economy go improve more than dis. more companies go spring up and the economy go beta
government don free your light na
Re: Nigeria Economy Expands To 6.81% In Third Quarter by Pukkah: 3:53pm On Nov 19, 2013
anonimi:

You surely need to wake up first before you advise others.
How much of the responsibility of states and LGAs in the education (primary, vocational/technical & secondary) as well as in health (primary health centres & general hospitals) have they carried out successfully and adequately
I hope you are sharp enough to see the link with employment generation and impact on security.
Let us continue to sit down there and keep expecting the president to DO ALL while our governors and LGA chairmen are looting us blind shocked

I agree that so much attention is on the FG and I want other tiers of government to also be held accountable.

But have you asked why this is so?

1. The FG takes 52% of the federal revenue. The Ministry of Petroleum Resources is also under the FG. Of course you know what this means.

2. The FG-led law enforcement agents are the ones that are constitutionally empowered and funded to fight corruption including in the states and LGAs. With the way Nigeria is constituted, what do you expect the people to do apart from usual talking?
Re: Nigeria Economy Expands To 6.81% In Third Quarter by Pukkah: 3:56pm On Nov 19, 2013
iterator25:
Many of them are lazy, all they do is sit home waiting to be spoon fed by the government

Honestly, you don't know the duties of a good, responsible and responsive government.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Economy Expands To 6.81% In Third Quarter by Rikidony(m): 3:59pm On Nov 19, 2013
Good development......since the growth is not creating job most people will find it difficult to belive,
If it continues growing this way in the long run it will create employment
Re: Nigeria Economy Expands To 6.81% In Third Quarter by swiftycool(m): 4:20pm On Nov 19, 2013
Each time u hear stuff like this while at the same time read news that Nigeria presently has up to 100million people living below the world recognised poverty line, you wonder where all the money goes, I guess its a growth to benefit capitalists with the help of their croonies in Government as well as expatriate companies brought in by Govt to milk Naija dry and repatriate funds back to their native countries. While the average Nigerian is just getting worse off.
Re: Nigeria Economy Expands To 6.81% In Third Quarter by anonimi: 6:02pm On Nov 19, 2013
Pukkah:

I agree that so much attention is on the FG and I want other tiers of government to also be held accountable.

But have you asked why this is so?

1. The FG takes 52% of the federal revenue. The Ministry of Petroleum Resources is also under the FG. Of course you know what this means.

I know it means MORE RESPONSIBILITY for the federal government in protecting Nigeria's territorial integrity, foreign relations AND supporting the states and LGAs in carrying out their CONSTITUTIONAL responsibilities in the educational and medical sectors such as through the UBE funds, Almajiri schools etc.

2. The FG-led law enforcement agents are the ones that are constitutionally empowered and funded to fight corruption including in the states and LGAs.

Did you read about youths protesting in Jigawa because their governor's sons were arrested for laundering money stolen that should have created employment through better equipped & staffed schools & hospitals etc
Do you recall how similar shows were staged for Ibori, Saraki etc?

With the way Nigeria is constituted, what do you expect the people to do apart from usual talking?

They can follow the example of this community at the least:

FOR allegedly participating in the kidnap of Prof. Kamene Okonjo, the octogenarian mother of the Finance Minister, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, the Ezi community in Aniocha North council of Delta State has ostracized the entire family of one of the suspects from the town (names withheld).

Mrs Okonjo, the wife of Prof. Chukwuka Okonjo, the Obi of Ogwashi Uku, Aniocha South Council was abducted on December 9, 2012 at the palace by a gang of kidnappers numbering about 10 which included the son of the sanctioned family.

The traditional ruler of Ezi, Obi Mohanye 1, who spoke at the weekend after a meeting of the Obi in Council, said the decision to banish the entire family from the town was as a result of the role played by their son whom, he insisted had severely damaged the reputation of the entire community.

He said the decision was to show the world that t[b]he community was very upset by the suspect's action and that the decision to sanction his family was to serve as a deterrent.[/b]

The royal father said it was unbelievable that the suspect's parents could not control or monitor the 22 year-old boy who was building a house for them and bought a car for his brother when he had no visible means of livelihood.

The Obi disclosed that the decision became important owing to the increasing cases of crimes among the youths in the community, maintaining that to curb the ugly trend communities must wake up to their responsibilities.

He warned that any family member who indulged in such ignoble act would face the same sanction, adding that the town crier would convoy the decision to the entire community.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php/news/national-news/138871-community-banishes-family-over-son-s-role-in-kidnap-of-minister-s-mother

But we will most likely not do that as we see those local representaTHIEVES:

-governor,
- state assembly lawmakers,
- SINators,
- federal legisLOOTERs,
- LGA chairmen & councillors along with their
- countless Special Assts & Advisers

in different offices as stealing from the national cake aka Niger Delta oil revenue on our behalf as they share us crumbs therefrom for which we are very grateful even as they abandon their CORE responsibilities and bamboozle us into thinking it is all the fault of the president
angry sad

We deserve the leaders we get (or don't get) at ALL levels!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Economy Expands To 6.81% In Third Quarter by Pukkah: 6:18pm On Nov 19, 2013
anonimi:

I know it means MORE RESPONSIBILITY for the federal government in protecting Nigeria's territorial integrity, foreign relations AND supporting the states and LGAs in carrying out their CONSTITUTIONAL responsibilities in the educational and medical sectors such as through the UBE funds, Almajiri schools etc.

Did you read about youths protesting in Jigawa because their governor's sons were arrested for laundering money stolen that should have created employment through better equipped & staffed schools & hospitals etc
Do you recall how similar shows were staged for Ibori, Saraki etc?

They can follow the example of this community at the least:

But we will most likely not do that as we see those local representaTHIEVES (governor, state assembly lawmakers, SINators, federal legisLOOTERs, LGA chairmen & councillors along with their countless Special Assts & Advisers) in different offices as stealing from the national cake aka Niger Delta oil revenue on our behalf as they share us crumbs therefrom for which we are very grateful even as they abandon their CORE responsibilities and bamboozle us into thinking it is all the fault of the president angry sad
We deserve the leaders we get (or don't get) at ALL levels!

I share your sentiments but the way Nigerians are now, I doubt if there can be any genuine, unsponsored anti-bad governance protest by the people. The generation of genuine activists is dying off and Nigerians have become sharply divided and apathetic. People also keep quiet because of the backlash of participating in or leading protests. Whistle blowers are not safe and activists have become endangered so everyone is minding his own business.

If you removed the anonymity of Nairaland you can be sure that many people would stop criticizing the government. A friend of mine sometime ago put up a Facebook message that was critical of the government of the day and before the end of that day, several people called/contacted him to remove it. Some people even begged and pleaded with him to remove it. So I ask, how practical is genuine activism today?

This is why the situation in Nigeria is getting irksome, exasperating, complex and even confusing. If we say people should protest, who will lead them? If they are led, who will prosecute the offenders or suspects? The politicians at all levels have become very wasteful and opportunistic. Those benefiting from the rot will stop at nothing to maintain the status quo. The people that are dissatisfied with the system are afraid, scared or uninterested.

For all you know, there may be more than meets the eyes in the Jigawa protest and the case of family ostracism in Ogwashi Uku. Things have got that bad.

On another thought, it appears to me that people have lost faith in the Nigeria contraption and what they want is their 'own area' or region or country. This might be why there seems to be a deliberate effort on the part of many people to bring down the house and kill off the contraption.
Re: Nigeria Economy Expands To 6.81% In Third Quarter by anonimi: 6:43pm On Nov 19, 2013
^^^^^^
That is why we need to share ideas and inform ourselves more about what is going on in order to understand what the possibilities are rather than simply pointing at some remote federal government and president while giving our local leaders who collect money from Abuja on our behalf a free pass.
What do you think
Re: Nigeria Economy Expands To 6.81% In Third Quarter by Pukkah: 6:59pm On Nov 19, 2013
anonimi: ^^^^^^
That is why we need to share ideas and inform ourselves more about what is going on in order to understand what the possibilities are rather than simply pointing at some remote federal government and president while giving our local leaders who collect money from Abuja on our behalf a free pass.
What do you think

Just as I admitted up there, the problem with Nigeria could sometimes be so confusing and perplexing. But I'm sure the problem is very fundamental and getting more complex with each passing day.

On the 'free pass' or shielding that people are giving their local thieves and looters, what comes to my mind is that the people are indirectly saying that they are fed up with the 'Nigerian arrangement' and of course, something must be done about that arrangement in order to get 'Nigeria' working.

Two options come to mind:

1. A return to true fiscal and political federalism. Let's have a true federation in every sense of it. The federal government should bother only about common issues like currency, army, foreign policy, etc. The regions should have total control on their resources while they pay a token to the central purse to maintain it. The federation as we have it now is very faulty and has failed.

Why is the FG worrying about water, housing, intra city roads, power, local policing, schools, etc. As you can see, the FG has put so much load on itself. Why should robberies and housebreaking taking place at the same time in Saki, Gusau, and Eket be the headache of someone that is sitting in Abuja?

2. Break up the country and let people or the ensuing nations go their separate ways. If they want to come together again, after staying apart, the terms can be negotiated. And if they don't want one another again, the new nations would still be within West Africa sub region with free movement of persons and cargo. Honestly, I don't know the practical way to achieve this peacefully and quickly.

No matter what happens, something fundamental must happen to the current structure of Nigeria. Honestly, the people have become fed up and lost faith in the country.
Re: Nigeria Economy Expands To 6.81% In Third Quarter by anonimi: 7:17pm On Nov 19, 2013
Pukkah:

Just as I admitted up there, the problem with Nigeria could sometimes be so confusing and perplexing. But I'm sure the problem is very fundamental and getting more complex with each passing day.

On the 'free pass' or shielding that people are giving their local thieves and looters, what comes to my mind is that the people are indirectly saying that they are fed up with the 'Nigerian arrangement' and of course, something must be done about that arrangement in order to get 'Nigeria' working.

Two options come to mind:

1. A return to true fiscal and political federalism. Let's have a true federation in every sense of it. The federal government should bother only about common issues like currency, army, foreign policy, etc. The regions should have total control on their resources while they pay a token to the central purse to maintain it. The federation as we have it now is very faulty and has failed.

Why is the FG worrying about water, housing, intra city roads, power, local policing, schools, etc. As you can see, the FG has put so much load on itself. Why should robberies and housebreaking taking place at the same time in Saki, Gusau, and Eket be the headache of someone that is sitting in Abuja?

2. Break up the country and let people or the ensuing nations go their separate ways. If they want to come together again, after staying apart, the terms can be negotiated. And if they don't want one another again, the new nations would still be within West Africa sub region with free movement of persons and cargo. Honestly, I don't know the practical way to achieve this peacefully and quickly.

No matter what happens, something fundamental must happen to the current structure of Nigeria. Honestly, the people have become fed up and lost faith in the country.

Good points you have made up there!
Very good points!!!

However that is not likely to happen anytime soon.
Why
The "progressive opposition" leaders who were mouthing true fiscal federalism are against national conference and do not want autonomy for the LGAs.
Why

They cannot endure any meaningful scrutiny of what they are doing even in their "progressive" states and LGAs, which will happen when their is true fiscal federalism and the people's taxes fund directly the governments unlike now that most are doing monthly almajiri begging bowl ritual in Abuja.
Have you wondered why regional governments performed much better before the January 1966 coup

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Economy Expands To 6.81% In Third Quarter by Ilox: 11:59am On Nov 20, 2013
This is good news! [/quote] untill we start seeing continuous power supply.
Re: Nigeria Economy Expands To 6.81% In Third Quarter by Nobody: 7:31pm On Nov 20, 2013
iterator25:

Wait oo economy expansion people. I work in a private company as such i d like to ask what does it mean when theres economic expansion. Where i work, whenever the term expansion is used, we get bonuses, salary increase, promotion nd all.

i thought it was suppose to reflect in the prices of goods nd all. i dont understand. pls explain nd dont start typing gdp, ndp, ppp or shit to me cos those r just textbook figures. thnks.

(1) (2) (Reply)

APC Says 1 Billion Dollars Was Found In Labaran Maku's Farm / GEJ recieves book from Reno / Wahala! Why Did The Chicken Cross Road In Nigeria? See What They'r Saying Abroad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.