Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,277 members, 7,943,606 topics. Date: Sunday, 08 September 2024 at 07:20 PM

Effects Of Large Tribal Marks On Faces - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Effects Of Large Tribal Marks On Faces (13854 Views)

Poll: would you an individual with large tribalmarks

yes: 7% (1 vote)
No: 92% (12 votes)
This poll has ended

Photos: Are Tribal Marks Attractive Or Repulsive? / Culture Or Cruelty? Do We Still Need Tribal Marks?(pics) / What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Go Down)

Re: Effects Of Large Tribal Marks On Faces by Arnold1(m): 3:02am On Jul 21, 2008
But seriously, what would it take for the osu practice to come to an end in Igboland ?

One of the factors that enabled early Christian missionaries to establish a foothold quickly in the Igbo heartland was their promise to new converts that the new order would guarantee equality of rights and opportunities to everyone.

In most Igbo communities, the osu were the first group of converts to flock en masse into new churches and schools that mushroomed everywhere.

Disillusionment soon dampened their enthusiasm when it gradually became clear that even the Whiteman’s church was powerless to stop discriminatory treatment meted out to the minority osu population.
Re: Effects Of Large Tribal Marks On Faces by HCH3COO: 3:03am On Jul 21, 2008
Let's conduct a protest across Igboland, Yorubaland, and Hausaland urging them to stop facial scarifications because they are no longer in trend. Tats are the new thing.
Re: Effects Of Large Tribal Marks On Faces by Hannibal: 3:04am On Jul 21, 2008
Queenisha:

You won't even date black girls. lipsrsealed
whites don't have tribal marks so you won't even be in that dilemma

Come on. . . . .I was just yanking yer chain the other day.
Black women forever but they need to slow down. grin cheesy
Wait o. . . . .are u Black?? tongue
Re: Effects Of Large Tribal Marks On Faces by Queenisha: 3:05am On Jul 21, 2008
Hannibal:

Come on. . . . .I was just yanking yer chain the other day.
Black women forever but they need to slow down. grin cheesy
Wait o. . . . .are u Black?? tongue

kiss kiss
You can't do without us
I dare you
There's no one out there like us cool
Re: Effects Of Large Tribal Marks On Faces by Arnold1(m): 3:05am On Jul 21, 2008
HCH3COO:

Let's conduct a protest across Igboland, Yorubaland, and Hausaland urging them to stop facial scarifications because they are no longer in trend. Tats are the new thing.

I think osu practice in Igboland should take precedence. The practice is archaic and barbaric.
Re: Effects Of Large Tribal Marks On Faces by Chat2MeBac(f): 3:06am On Jul 21, 2008
Queenisha:

Yes they look like scars and differ in types.
Ok, thanks,
Well I saw this lady and she had like 3 lines( different sizes) on each cheeks, I went closer to look becos at first I thought it was make-up. Upon getting closer I realised they were actually marks.

Can someone explain the meaning behind them. I mean why do people have them there? Is it to identify who you are, in terms of tribes etc??

Hannibal:

Of course, it's a huge task.

Physcial attraction plays a huge role for me. . . . . .
Tribal marks are not something that a chic can hide. . . .It's right there pasted on her face.
Chatting her up is a nah-nah(never mind taking her out on a date or marriage).

ok, I am gonna get some tribal marks tomorrow, Let's see you anul the wedding becos of that, angry angry angry, Thought u said "I do" for better or worse, Nonsense,
Re: Effects Of Large Tribal Marks On Faces by doyin13(m): 3:06am On Jul 21, 2008
A woman's face is way down on my list of requirements when it comes to how I like my women.

So she can have all the OGBOMOSHO marks but as long as she get good body(IKEBE) and a sense of humor,
all is a go go.

I mean, a few years back I couldn't get MAMA SUWE off my mind. grin grin
Re: Effects Of Large Tribal Marks On Faces by KarmaMod(f): 3:07am On Jul 21, 2008
HCH3COO:

But sometimes the parents have no control over that; it becomes the grandparents' fault.
What if they're dead when you do decide to become part of the family? I am struggling with your excuse.

Not in this day and age.

which is why the thread osisi mentioned was very surprising to people
Re: Effects Of Large Tribal Marks On Faces by HCH3COO: 3:08am On Jul 21, 2008
Arnold1:

I think osu practice in Igboland should take precedence. The practice is archaic and barbaric.
I agree that the osu thing must come to a screeching halt too.   Didn't know much about it until I read your posts on this thread.
Re: Effects Of Large Tribal Marks On Faces by Queenisha: 3:08am On Jul 21, 2008
doyin13:

A woman's face is way down on my list of requirements when it comes to how I like my women.

So she can have all the OGBOMOSHO marks but as long as she get good body(IKEBE) and a sense of humor,
all is a go go.

LOL
let me see you dissing women again in another thread
Re: Effects Of Large Tribal Marks On Faces by Arnold1(m): 3:10am On Jul 21, 2008
How can anyone justify treating people with such indignity because their forefathers were sacrificed to the gods ?

Osu practice in Igboland !
Re: Effects Of Large Tribal Marks On Faces by HCH3COO: 3:11am On Jul 21, 2008
KarmaMod:

Not in this day and age.

which is why the thread osisi mentioned was very surprising to people

How many people run back to Naija from obodo oyinbo to cut their children's faces?  Exactly.

Tradition is clearly still very predominant in Nigerian society.  It is usually the unrefined families in the villages that fall victims to these practices.
Re: Effects Of Large Tribal Marks On Faces by Hannibal: 3:13am On Jul 21, 2008
Queenisha:

kiss kiss
You can't do without us
I dare you
There's no one out there like us cool

More like y'all can't do without Black men.
We are the only choice u have got!!!

Chat2MeBac:

ok, I am going to get some tribal marks tomorrow, Let's see you anul the wedding because of that, angry angry angry, Thought u said "I do" for better or worse, Nonsense,

U wont even let a mosquito touch ur face, let alone tribal marks engraved from ur scalp to your chin.
I won't annul the wedding. . . . . . The wedding would annul itself. tongue grin

doyin13:

all is a go go.

Doyin, are u freaking serious??
The babe i saw u chasing relentlessly don't have tribal marks.
Are u sure u wld pursue a babe with tribal marks religiously like the Abuja babe?? tongue tongue
Re: Effects Of Large Tribal Marks On Faces by KarmaMod(f): 3:13am On Jul 21, 2008
HCH3COO:

It is usually the unrefined families in the villages that fall victims to these practices.

Exactly. Families I wouldnt wanna be part of.
Re: Effects Of Large Tribal Marks On Faces by Arnold1(m): 3:16am On Jul 21, 2008
Sunny Ade has large tribal marks and is adored not only in Nigeria, but worldwide.

Can the same be said about an Osu in Igboland ?

Re: Effects Of Large Tribal Marks On Faces by doyin13(m): 3:17am On Jul 21, 2008
Hannibal:

Doyin, are u freaking serious??
The babe i saw u chasing relentlessly don't have tribal marks.
Are u sure u would pursue a babe with tribal marks religiously like the Abuja babe?? tongue tongue

Kai. . . .I don suffer. . . .See as this man strip me naked for public.

Abeg oo . . . . .I dey inside enuff wahala already.

@topic

You knw there was a time i considered having a scar on my cheek like Sub zero in mortal combat.

@Arnold1

Seems like you need a big teddy hug
Re: Effects Of Large Tribal Marks On Faces by HCH3COO: 3:20am On Jul 21, 2008
KarmaMod:

Exactly. Families I wouldnt want to be part of.
What? Don't get me wrong.  It is still no reason to flake from dating someone you love.
The kids are now overseas, the older generations are passing away, the new breed is uninterested in sticking with the old ways.  You are marrying the man, not his family like you said.
Re: Effects Of Large Tribal Marks On Faces by Queenisha: 3:22am On Jul 21, 2008
doyin13:

@Arnold1

Seems like you need a big teddy hug

I wish I could reach out and hold him in a warm embrace grin
and never let go grin
the boy is just in a world of his own
I love you arnold1
You can lean on me kiss kiss kiss
Re: Effects Of Large Tribal Marks On Faces by Hannibal: 3:22am On Jul 21, 2008
doyin13:

Kai. . . .I don suffer. . . .See as this man strip me naked for public.

Abeg oo . . . . .I dey inside enough wahala already.

Ya network leaked again on Friday. It's becoming a habit.

@ Arnold1,

Sunny Ade's tribal marks are not the kinda marks i am talking about.
Have u seen those Mallams in the North??
I was once stopped by a mobile police officer in Lagos. . . . .He begged for 50 Naira. . . .
When i saw his marks, i gave him 500 bucks. . . . . .I felt pity for him
His parents or guardian should be jailed. tongue tongue
Re: Effects Of Large Tribal Marks On Faces by motunrayo4(f): 3:23am On Jul 21, 2008
Im not going to lie. . .even though Sunny Ade is mad old. .he's still a cutie. . . . . .he's so hansome
Re: Effects Of Large Tribal Marks On Faces by HCH3COO: 3:25am On Jul 21, 2008
motun_rayo:

I'm not going to lieeven though Sunny Ade is mad old. .he's still a cutie. . . . . .he's so hansome
Look at this little buzzard. Here showing face after ditching me yesterday. Crushing on an old man. Is he your type?
Re: Effects Of Large Tribal Marks On Faces by Queenisha: 3:27am On Jul 21, 2008
Hannibal:

Ya network leaked again on Friday. It's becoming a habit.

@ Arnold1,

Sunny Ade's tribal marks are not the kind of marks i am talking about.
[b]I was once stopped by a mobile police officer in Lagos. . . . .He begged for 50 Naira. . . .
When i saw his marks, i gave him 500 bucks. . . . . .I felt pity for him[/b]His parents or guardian should be jailed. tongue tongue

ROFL.
I was scared by those marks as a child
I remember a youth corper that lived in our house downstairs.
I used to run away whenever I saw him.
Re: Effects Of Large Tribal Marks On Faces by Queenisha: 3:28am On Jul 21, 2008
let me go draw some tribal marks on his back i.e Mr Queenisha
today na today.
goodnight y'all.
Re: Effects Of Large Tribal Marks On Faces by HCH3COO: 3:30am On Jul 21, 2008
Arnold, I suggest you create your own thread and title it "the effects of the OSU Caste System" before these people descend on you.
Re: Effects Of Large Tribal Marks On Faces by Queenisha: 3:32am On Jul 21, 2008
HCH3COO:

Arnold, I suggest you create your own thread and title it "the effects of the OSU Caste System" before these people descend on you.

leave him.
Nairaland is open to all peoples.
The sane and the loonies lipsrsealed
It may actually be the therapy he needs
Re: Effects Of Large Tribal Marks On Faces by Arnold1(m): 3:32am On Jul 21, 2008
Hannibal:

@ Arnold1,

Sunny Ade's tribal marks are not the kind of marks i am talking about.
I was once stopped by a mobile police officer in Lagos. . . . .He begged for 50 Naira. . . .
When i saw his marks, i gave him 500 bucks. . . . . .I felt pity for him
His parents or guardian should be jailed. tongue tongue

Thanks jare Mr Hannibal.

Now, this was the first post on this thread by Queenisha

Do Yorubas discriminate against other Yorubas with large tribal marks on their faces?

Do those with tribal marks feel a sort of complex for having them ?

would you turn down a prospective mate or suitor because of tribal marks?
Honest answers please.

Why is she just focusing on the yorubas when other tribes in Nigeria, like the Mallams, have tribal marks ?
Re: Effects Of Large Tribal Marks On Faces by Hannibal: 3:32am On Jul 21, 2008
Queenisha:

ROFL.
I was scared by those marks as a child
I remember a youth corper that lived in our house downstairs.
I used to run away whenever I saw him.

No human being deserves to be engraved(marked is too subtle) the way Hausas do their faces up there. . .

Human Rights group should start looking into it.
It's as heinous as female circumcision.
Animals don't even deserve such treatment, let alone MEN.

Arnold1:

[b]Why is she just focusing on the yorubas when other tribes in Nigeria, like the Mallams, have tribal marks ?[/b]

She might not know what other parts of Nigeria do em tribal marks.
Cut her some slack.
Re: Effects Of Large Tribal Marks On Faces by doyin13(m): 3:34am On Jul 21, 2008
motun_rayo:

I'm not going to lieeven though Sunny Ade is mad old. .he's still a cutie. . . . . .he's so hansome

Excuse me. . .I don't think I have come across you before. . , .

And I must say I sure would like to put a few marks on you  cheesy cheesy cheesy grin
Re: Effects Of Large Tribal Marks On Faces by Queenisha: 3:34am On Jul 21, 2008
Arnold1:

Thanks jare Mr Hannibal.

[b]Why is she just focusing on the yorubas when other tribes in Nigeria, like the Mallams, have tribal marks ?[/b]

How many mallams have you seen on nairaland.
Just name 5 3
olodo kiss
Is this place not mainly Igbos and Yorubas?
Re: Effects Of Large Tribal Marks On Faces by motunrayo4(f): 3:35am On Jul 21, 2008
HCH3COO:

Look at this little buzzard.  Here showing face after ditching me yesterday.  Crushing on an old man.  Is he your type?
Yes he is. . .some like em young I like em nice and old.

And for the record i didnt ditch you. . . .i dont use yahoo messenger tongue
Re: Effects Of Large Tribal Marks On Faces by motunrayo4(f): 3:36am On Jul 21, 2008
doyin13:

Excuse meI don't think I have come across you before. . , .

And I must say I sure would like to put a few marks on you  cheesy cheesy cheesy grin

Only if they are the small cute ones grin
Re: Effects Of Large Tribal Marks On Faces by HCH3COO: 3:39am On Jul 21, 2008
Arnold1:

Do Yorubas discriminate against other Yorubas with large tribal marks on their faces?

Do those with tribal marks feel a sort of complex for having them ?

would you turn down a prospective mate or suitor because of tribal marks?
Honest answers please.

shocked shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5)

Numbers In Yoruba | Learning Yoruba Numbers | Onka Ede Yoruba / HOW MANY ETHNIC GROUPS ARE IN NIGERIA? / Who Came First: Oduduwa Or Orunmila?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.