Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,465 members, 7,964,898 topics. Date: Thursday, 03 October 2024 at 12:26 AM

Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? (45282 Views)

Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? / Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? / Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by erico2k2(m): 4:24pm On Nov 28, 2013
Rubish, my Uncle married an Igbo woman and still together waxing stronger,thex got 6 kids eldest 22 yo.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Spirit1(m): 4:24pm On Nov 28, 2013
the warrior72:
The Osu thing has been abolished in igboland for a very long time, so stop peddling this ur unfounded rumour undecided

Osu has been abolished in Igbo land by who? What have you been drinking?..where have you been?? Go and read some history on Micheal Okpara who purportedly "abolished" Osu and other caste system in Igbo land. I am not advocating that people should be treated differently but "it is what it is" when it comes to Osu in Igboland. Be mindful that the Igbos are not the only group of people with a caste system. Indians have a well established caste system worse than Igbos.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:26pm On Nov 28, 2013
50calibre:

What Igbo culture are you talking about, is it the one of barbarism & savagery, all in the name of appeasing the gods?

You are a pagan right? If the chief priest asks you to bring the head of your child for a sacrifice to appease the gods, will you?

And can you tell me one prominent Igbo female figure from the pagan era

If you are calling your culture, one of barbaric savagery, then I can only pity you.

please dont embarass Igbos further.

I wish igbo royal fathers banish you from Igboland. wahala you are a disgrace.

Yes I am Pagan. My priest won't make such outlandish claims. It is not done in our religion. we only sacrifice small fowl and kola and other natural plant produce and alcohol.

Infact my priest won't even make any claims. He just does his job of looking after shrine duties as we have done for ages.

IF Igbos have not produced any woman ruler, then it is your own patrilineal ways of doing things, but dont blame it on religion.

Pagan religions are independant of customary law.

The rest of the Pagan world was already producing scores of female rulers.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 4:26pm On Nov 28, 2013
Truckpusher: You can actually lie to everyone ,but certainly not to your heart because the very lie you tell people originates from your heart. undecided

Go google up things and see the systemic application of your shameful culture,infact somebody in this thread actually said that she jokingly brought up the issue before her people and that she was seriously rebuked .

Denying the obvious is as shameless as those that carry out such barbaric acts in this 21st century.

Maybe, the problem is understanding what 'abolish' means. You can abolish human sacrifice and people in rural areas (not closely monitored by the authorities) will still carry on the practice.The osu system was outlawed a long time ago in the 1950s by the Eastern Nigeria government.

I understand that some communities in Imo still discrimate against descendants of osu, but in the larger part of Igboland, Osu simply doesn't exist. There is no such thing as Osu in my own town and in our neighbouring towns.

Why are we discussing osu on a thread about marriage, anyway? undecided
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Psychedelia(m): 4:27pm On Nov 28, 2013
the warrior72:
undecided Akpa-amu

Nne gi!
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by thewarrior72: 4:28pm On Nov 28, 2013
dozai:

Even me self marry yoruba, my people never kill me. and she is da bomb.
undecided Soon than later he will marry another one join u, then u will hear wii

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:28pm On Nov 28, 2013
Gudiza: [size=20pt]What kind of tribe prefers women of other tribe than their own? Rubbish thread.[/size]

GBAM!

IKR! shocked shocked shocked shocked

RUBBISH THREAD!

A tribe that prefers outside woman to its own tribe is not a tribe.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 4:29pm On Nov 28, 2013
coogar:

why should i get upset of their backward reasoning? it's more like disappointment than anger. i have had plenty of babes cutting across all races & i can tell you each of them is a product of their environment.

an igbo chic raised in lagos would have the same character as a yoruba chic raised in lagos. promiscuity has no tribal code. bianca ojukwu is an igbo woman & she has several promiscuity charges hanging over her head.

Bianca Ojukwu again
The object of Yoruba obsession,I hear you

On this forum alone how many stories of Yoruba actresses having babies out of wedlock have we read?
How many of a woman trying to pin a bobo to her pregnancy
How many of doubtful paternity
How many of children emerging in their tens after the death of a man
You don't have to search deep
That scares Igbos
I am not saying such things are unheard of in Igboland but the degree is incomparable and it is heavily frowned at in our culture
A child born out of wedlock in Igboland belongs to the woman's family
It is a huge shame to that family
That is why illegitimate belle is hidden
But Yorubas flaunt it and announce it and throw parties to celebrate the arrival of the baby sired by a married man and born out of wedlock
A married Yoruba woman will wear asho ebi to the naming ceremony of her husband's mistress's baby and the man's people will be there eating jollof rice and dancing owanbe
That is an alien culture to us
That is one of the reasons our people are fearful of our girls marrying Yoruba men
Marriage means something different between the two groups

In Yorubaland a mistress with a baby automatically elevates to the status of wifehood,na lie?
Not so in Igboland
A mistress is hidden and the man does all he can to make sure no baby arrives ,because he doesn't want to shame his family
That is a huge cultural difference and many of our women have married Yoruba men who ended up with babies all around town down the road because it is their culture.his dad and uncles and grandpa did it freely.
It is not our accepted tradition

Shebi una wan hear the whole truth why Igbos don't like to marry Yoruba
Sorry if it hurts but that is the gospel truth
Your family dynamics are very complicated to Igbos

16 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Spirit1(m): 4:30pm On Nov 28, 2013
collynzo2: The Osu shît has been abolished in Igbo land decades ago, if it is still practiced in your village then you are in the overwhelming minority. Name your village where it is being practised let the whole world know, stop disgracing Igbos as a whole. Nonsense.

It is abolished in your own Igbo town until you go to marry or you want to become the Eze or take an Ozo title from your own village, not another village that will collect your money, give you a title that is valueless to them.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by kshowhanif: 4:31pm On Nov 28, 2013
Tapout: Maybe b'cos once married, igbo women remain faithful 2 d end
na lie, i knw many dat flirt with different men
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by scribble: 4:31pm On Nov 28, 2013
babyosisi: There is something in an Igbo man that makes him adore Igbo women
We understand them and they understand us
My two first bobos were Yoruba ( they were very good to me by the way) but when it came to marriage,I still preferred an Igbo man too.
Three times I had tried to matchmake some folks

ah i wonder why Governor Chime was not informed. From my experience Igbo men na dem sabi beat woman pass
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by ladygogo: 4:32pm On Nov 28, 2013
lol. Like an Adenuga or some rich yoruba man will give a fug if his daughter was marrying Emeka anyaoku's son or . Wait! Emeka Anyaoku is married to a yoruba woman sef.

oh there is another one.

General Ike Nwachukwu is married to a yoruba woman too.

you all need to get out of this tribal funk! Dont you guys ever get tired?

Most exposed and wealthy people do not reason this way.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 4:32pm On Nov 28, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

It is BECAUSE you are Igbo that I cant take your word seriously, especially if you are christian. (you are christian yes?)

see the ignorance first-hand of many Igbos on this thread.

I have no need for religion.

Perhaps u know quite a lot about Maguzawa culture, but honestly you don't understand igbo culture. Definitely not the Osu system.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Truckpusher(m): 4:33pm On Nov 28, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

Dude just shut up and stop making a f00l of yourself.

Im not saying people are not altered. However the way you generalize things, reeks of arrant ignorance.

western education was born out of religion?

LMfao! are you aware that the first forms of education as we know today in schools and universities, was basically started by the Pagan Greeks, Egyptians, Hindus, Chinese, etc.?

Are you also aware that the mathematical and scientific concepts we study today are derived from these sources?

Are you also aware that europe had largely abandoned your christianity in the last 50-60 yrs.

See again how ignorant you are and how you generalize?

How did you know I kill twins?

Are you aware that I am Hausa and not Kalabari ? (a small section of the Ijaws).

Are you aware that I follow Maguzanci religion?

This shows your ignorance.

You deemed my entire culture barbaric and human sacrifice just because it is of indigenous NIGERIAN background. You didnt even bother to know my culture and religion!

This shows what christianity has done to your brain and thinking. you have become narrow minded and BACKWARD.

you will never fit on the Global international scale. I hope you never leave Nigeria and stay in your village, because your narrowness will be an embarassment for us.

Its ok if my God lives under trees surrounded by its natural creations.

Atleast my God doesnt live under a concrete roof built by the hard earned money , sweat and blood of many innocent common men.
Like i said you lack basic comprehension ....i didn't profess Christianity neither did i say that i worship anything but in your drunken nature which is part of you and will always remain with you ,you have concluded.

The western countries were as backward as every other culture until the Romans colonized most of them thereby bringing them closer to knowledge/education that was acquired from the Middle east,North Africa,the Greeks and the far East and these education were all based on religion and these religions has always evolved from one form to another until Christianity came and dominated,accepted by the Byzantine empire by emperor Constantine ,spread across ancient Rome which became a uniting force to the West and it was based on this same religion that education and the age of enlightenment came to stay(go read up world history encyclopedia volume 12) though it had it's own ups and down in the hands of the Catholic church and papacy.

You can't take away the evolution of education from religion though right now science has gradually replaced religion.

So my friend this will be my last reply to your f0olish insinuations as i do not have the strength to unwind a messed-up fellow upstairs.....bye
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by kershley(f): 4:33pm On Nov 28, 2013
[quote author=kershley]
@babyosisi im tryin 2 quote one of ur posts bt im kinda havin problems.i mean its d yoruba man dat puts a charm on his wife called 'magun'to deal wit traces of promiscuity.A woman cannot put magun on her husband its d other way round.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 4:36pm On Nov 28, 2013
[quote author=kershley]
@babyosisi im tryin 2 quote one of ur posts bt im kinda havin problems.i mean its d yoruba man dat puts a charm on his wife called 'magun'to deal wit traces of promiscuity.A woman cannot put magun on her husband its d other way round.

I got you
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 4:37pm On Nov 28, 2013
this post is full of sh1t like a desert camel's a55hole

I know a lot of ibo men married to Yoruba women
and lots of ladies of ibo origin married to Yoruba men

infact I have an aunt married to...................................

infact this tread is useless and misleading
marriage is not tribal but personal

stop fanning the fukcing embers

if you don't have something to do, go pick beans, when you are done, throw the stones back in, mix very well and pick again
do till you are tired

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:38pm On Nov 28, 2013
Truckpusher: Like i said you lack basic comprehension ....i didn't profess Christianity neither did i say that i worship anything but in your drunken nature which is part of you and will always remain with you ,you have concluded.

The western countries were as backward as every other culture until the Romans colonized most of them thereby bringing them closer to knowledge/education that was acquired from the Middle east,North Africa,the Greeks and the far East and these education were all based on religion and these religions has always evolved from one form to another until Christianity came and dominated,accepted by the Byzantine empire by emperor Constantine ,spread across ancient Rome which became a uniting force to the West and it was based on this same religion that education and the age of enlightenment came to stay(go read up world history encyclopedia volume 12) though it had it's own ups and down in the hands of the Catholic church and papacy.

You can't take away the evolution of education from religion though right now science has gradually replaced religion.

So my friend this will be my last reply to your f0olish insinuations as i do not have the strength to unwind a messed-up fellow upstairs.....bye

dude you are talking bullsj!t now.

what has my using modern technology got to do with all this byzantine invasion, etc.

what a waste of words.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by abouzaid: 4:38pm On Nov 28, 2013
the warrior72: undecided Soon than later he will marry another one join u, then u will hear wii
thanks a million. That is how one ofe mmanu man deceived an igbo widow here. Now she hear wii.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by 50calibre(m): 4:39pm On Nov 28, 2013
ngozievergreen:
Igbo woman is the dream of most yorubas that can afford it.

Actually, this is true and has been so even as far back as the slave trade era. Igbo women have long been regarded as superior stock.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by thewarrior72: 4:40pm On Nov 28, 2013
lorretta u: I was told that an osu is one who has been sacrificed to the gods (for one reason or another) or anyone who ran into a shrine for protection in case of danger or hot pursuit. Automatically becomes OSU,hence belongs to the gods and cannot mingle with free people,marry them or live with them
All his offspring is Osu and cannot relate to a free person (diala) even into the thousandth generation sad

Many igbos still practise this. My people can dig and dig into the past to make sure the bride or groom isn't of OSU lineage. Even The great grandchildren of the old OSUs aren't marriageable by free people. They believe it has grave consequences (barreness, death illness etc)

Me thinks *bladerdash*
Woman sharrap, go to romance section that's where u belong. Stop delving into matter bigger than u!! lipsrsealed
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by coogar: 4:42pm On Nov 28, 2013
babyosisi:
Bianca Ojukwu again
The object of Yoruba obsession,I hear you

hahahaha - she's supposed to be the first lady of biafra. how did things go awry for her especially cheating before her hubby died?

On this forum alone how many stories of Yoruba actresses having babies out of wedlock have we read?
How many of a woman trying to pin a bobo to her pregnancy
How many of doubtful paternity
How many of children emerging in their tens after the death of a man
You don't have to search deep
That scares Igbos
I am not saying such things are unheard of in Igboland but it is heavily frowned at
A child born out of wedlock on Igboland belongs to the woman's family
It is a huge shame
That is why illegitimate belle is hidden
But Yorubas flaunt it and announce it and throw parties to celebrate the arrival of the baby sired by a married man
A arrived Yoruba woman will wear asho ebi to the naming ceremony if her husban's mistress's baby
That is an alien culture to us
That is one of the reasons our people are fearful of our girl's marrying Yoruba men
Marriage means something different between the two groups

perhaps this could be because yorubas adopted the western civilisation much more than the igbos. marriage is not slavery in the west. yorubas are doing whatever liberates them like you would find in other western countries.

In Yorubaland a mistress with a baby automatically elevates to the status of wifehood Not so in Igboland
A mistress is hidden and the man does all he can to make sure no baby arrives ,because he doesn't want to shame his family
That is a huge cultural difference and many of our women have married Yoruba men who ended up with babies all around time because it is their culture.his dad and uncles did it freely. It is not our accepted tradition

it's the same everywhere - whether it's accepted or not is a different thing entirely. which yoruba family deliberately advises their daughter to get impregnated premaritally - your assertion is bordering on hyperbole, abeg.

the picture you have painted of your men is even embarrassing. that it's coming out of a woman is degrading. so mistresses are hidden? no wonder baby farms are littered everywhere in the east - so that's something to gloat about publicly? wow!!!!

osisi, you are doing your people a disservice with the things you are saying here. you are directly telling us your men are brutish chauvinistic pigs who would go at any length to hide their mistresses & their love-child.

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 4:43pm On Nov 28, 2013
abouzaid: thanks a million. That is how one ofe mmanu man deceived an igbo widow here. Now she hear wii.

Truth be told,Yoruba men are very romantic
If an igbo man and Yoruba man were chasing an Igbo girl,the Yoruba man will most likely sweep her off her feet
He will spoil her with money,Igbo men are more stingy ( frugal) but Yoruba man will give his whole profit to woo the woman grin and go borrowing to make her happy.
My brothers will do no such thing
They are good boyfriend material but that is where it ends
When marriage time comes,the girl had better face east for a more meaningful union
A Yoruba man is ready to sit at home after losing his job and be a house husband,he is allergic to hustling
He wants manna to fall from heaven from a federal ministry grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Tittos: 4:44pm On Nov 28, 2013
adeyrule: Me too I want to knw ooo d reason ooo even my gf too s saying her mum won't allow her marry yoruba n I love her so much,no b say I no c yoruba lady marry oo bt I jus luv dat girl
If she really wants to marry you,she would
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by coogar: 4:44pm On Nov 28, 2013
babyosisi:

Truth be told,a Yoruba men are very romantic
If an igbo man and Yoruba man were chasing an Igbo girl,the Yoruba man will most likely sweep her off her feet
He will spoil her with money,Igbo men are more stingy ( frugal) but Yoruba man will give his whole profit to woo the woman
They are good boyfriend material but that is where it ends
When marriage time comes,the girl had better face east for a more meaningful union

of course, the average yoruba man is more civilised & his persuasive game is more advanced than his igbo counterpart.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Shinelle(f): 4:47pm On Nov 28, 2013
Some ppl have succeeded in derailing to the point that d thread is now about 'Osu' and the usual 'Igbo/Yoruba internet war'...
Back to topic..... The reason why igbos like to marry dere fellow tribesmen is d same reason y other tribes do it........ There's nufn special about it!... We have our own issues as other tribes do.. Buh sumhow d Devil u know is better dan d angel u don't....... I'm gonna luv to marry my Tribe too except God plans otherwise....
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 4:47pm On Nov 28, 2013
coogar:

of course, the average yoruba man is more civilised & his persuasive game is more advanced than his igbo counterpart.

As e dey romance her na so e dey romance ibiene,Shola,Ngozi,Hauwa and Franca
As you dey hospital dey born,someone don already deliver heir for am

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Truckpusher(m): 4:47pm On Nov 28, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

dude you are talking bullsj!t now.

what has my using modern technology got to do with all this byzantine invasion, etc.

what a waste of words.

Go take your med ,you need it right away. grin
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Lilimax(f): 4:49pm On Nov 28, 2013
Chinom: Because "Ofe Oha, Onugbu and Nsala"are a must on the dinner table. Only a correct Igbo lady will make them the way we like them. None of those "oil soup and banga stuff.
they are the most beautiful too.
smiley
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 4:50pm On Nov 28, 2013
coogar: .

hahahaha - she's supposed to be the first lady of biafra. how did things go awry for her especially cheating before her hubby died?

perhaps this could be because yorubas adopted the western civilisation much more than the igbos. marriage is not slavery in the west. yorubas are doing whatever liberates them like you would find in other western countries.

it's the same everywhere - whether it's accepted or not is a different thing entirely. which yoruba family deliberately advises their daughter to get impregnated premaritally - your assertion is bordering on hyperbole, abeg.

the picture you have painted of your men is even embarrassing. that it's coming out of a woman is degrading. so mistresses are hidden? no wonder baby farms are littered everywhere in the east - so that's something to gloat about publicly? wow!!!!

osisi, you are doing your people a disservice with the things you are saying here. you are directly telling us your men are brutish chauvinistic pigs who would go at any length to hide their mistresses & their love-child.

Glad you didn't deny anything in the post and your folks agree
I just laid out the differences in our culture,the reason why Igbos are not very accepting of Yoruba spouses
The cultural differences are plenty

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 4:52pm On Nov 28, 2013
Please don't be rude to me
I don't take nonsense. I don't tolerate it either. Be civil or don't quote me to spout unwarranted insult.
Thanks
the warrior72:
Woman sharrap, go to romance section that's where u belong. Stop delving into matter bigger than u!! lipsrsealed
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 4:52pm On Nov 28, 2013
[size=18pt]It's turkey time
happy thanksgiving to all the folks in the USA
Make I enter kitchen!![/size]

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply)

Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... / A Bird Just Pooed On Me (Photo) / Pictures Of The New Palace Of Olubadan Of Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.