Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,957 members, 7,873,066 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 07:37 AM

The Nigerian Teacher/Tutor And The Cane - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Nigerian Teacher/Tutor And The Cane (11666 Views)

Nigerian Teacher Honoured In The UK / The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? / Private Tutor And Coaching Classes Forjamb, Waec, Gce, Tutorials For Mathematics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Nigerian Teacher/Tutor And The Cane by Nobody: 3:25pm On Jul 26, 2008
A lot of us, regardless of where we are today, grew up in Nigeria,
and sampled the "cane" from our teachers / tutors. I certainly did.

Did it make you a better person, would you wish the same for your children?
Did you ever rebel against being beaten by a teacher, someone not even remotely related to you?

Does teacher "correction" still take place today, and do you feel it should be condoned?
Re: The Nigerian Teacher/Tutor And The Cane by TheSly: 3:39pm On Jul 26, 2008
Siena:

A lot of us, regardless of where we are today, grew up in Nigeria, and sampled the "cane" from our teachers / tutors.
I certainly did.

Did it make you a better person, would you wish the same for your children?
Did you ever rebel against being beaten by a teacher, someone not even remotely related to you?

Does teacher "correction" still take place today, and do you feel it should be condoned?
Its still very much going on in Nigeria's public schools. . . . . Iono about the private ones.
And No, It didn't make me a better person as at then, it only made me respect the teacher the more.
All the teachers were not the same, Some couldn't touch an ant and some would flog the hell out of any kid who misbehaves.

I am still in support of it though. . . . . Let them flog any kid that misbehaves.
Re: The Nigerian Teacher/Tutor And The Cane by Nobody: 4:32pm On Jul 26, 2008
I must say it didn't change me at all - it merely made me develop an extreme hatred for my maths teacher.

He paid the ultimate price later on, when he least expected to.
My children will not be beaten by any teacher, unless that teacher is prepared to pay dearly.
Re: The Nigerian Teacher/Tutor And The Cane by davidif: 11:36am On Jul 27, 2008
It made me a much better person.

@siena
He paid the ultimate price later on, when he least expected to.
My children will not be beaten by any teacher, unless that teacher is prepared to pay dearly.

Yep, keep decieving yourself, when Nigeria kids become as useless as the british kids or the american kids then you would understand. Go to an American high school and see how extremely disrespectful kids are, then you will know what i am talking about.
Asians, on the other hand, know how to discipline there students and it works wonders for them. Morale of the story is another man's cake is another man's poison, realizing this is wisdom. Its not the right thing to imitate other people's livestyles or you would pay for it.
Re: The Nigerian Teacher/Tutor And The Cane by HRhotness(f): 11:42am On Jul 27, 2008
I resented being beaten by my teachers, it used to me so angry. . .

I got no sympathy from my mum, she used to tell me if i hated it so much then i shd do what i was supposed to.

I guess it kinda made me work harder and behave myself
Re: The Nigerian Teacher/Tutor And The Cane by iice(f): 6:18pm On Jul 27, 2008
I was caned once by my teacher for something i know was beyond my control.
I failed my igbo test and she caned me. Hello? My mama descend on her wellu grin grin She didn't try it again.

Been caned other times by teachers but then i knew it wasn't something i couldnt control - those times i didn't mind.
It' didn't change me, i pretty much am nonchalant about somethings. Besides i already knew who i was, nothing could change that cheesy

I think canning should only happen when there is a justified reason for it.
Re: The Nigerian Teacher/Tutor And The Cane by HCH3COO: 6:19pm On Jul 27, 2008
Ah! Can't beat a good old-fashioned flogging.
Re: The Nigerian Teacher/Tutor And The Cane by Gamine(f): 6:37pm On Jul 27, 2008
I was caned, but mostly when it was mass punishment

i was a good gyal cheesy cheesy

i still have one tattoo on my right hand

i was flogged in ss3 by a female rating we used to call "He"
it was mass punishment in the hostel.

When i got back to my physics class, my teacher was like
shocked
cos my hand had split sad

the rating flogged us on the`back, so i tried to use my hand to block it sad

The beatings only made me hate physical touch or beating
those are things i CANNOT stand.
Re: The Nigerian Teacher/Tutor And The Cane by Seun(m): 9:17pm On Jul 27, 2008
The cane is the tool of a lazy teacher or parent.
If you exercise your brain, and a more civilized solution will present itself.
Re: The Nigerian Teacher/Tutor And The Cane by agaba123(m): 10:23pm On Jul 27, 2008
the kind of solutions we have in uk and america ? you don't wish for that as a parent
Re: The Nigerian Teacher/Tutor And The Cane by ziga: 10:42pm On Jul 27, 2008
"Spare the rod and spoil the child"

True, some teachers are hateful and beat for no good reason. But if it is done with love and correction as the main objective, it can only drive you to work harder and be a better person.
Re: The Nigerian Teacher/Tutor And The Cane by Nobody: 10:42pm On Jul 27, 2008
fff
Re: The Nigerian Teacher/Tutor And The Cane by Gamine(f): 10:46pm On Jul 27, 2008
Dont sound so naive,

people where caned evrywhere

both at home and in Schools
Re: The Nigerian Teacher/Tutor And The Cane by DisGuy: 10:50pm On Jul 27, 2008
davidif:

@siena
Yep, keep decieving yourself, when Nigeria kids become as useless as the british kids or the american kids then you would understand. Go to an American high school and see how extremely disrespectful kids are, then you will know what i am talking about.
Asians, on the other hand, know how to discipline there students and it works wonders for them. Morale of the story is another man's cake is another man's poison, realizing this is wisdom. Its not the right thing to imitate other people's livestyles or you would pay for it.

so with all the caning why are there so many rogues and cultism in universities or were those the kids that didn't get caned? lets stop deceiving ourselves, there are other forms of discipline not leaving teacher who have not been paid for three months to 'discipline' children.

I got abused canned in primary school for dumb things like falling down or getting a round metal stuck on my finger angry

abuseflogging was not allowed in my secondary school, one angry teacher from fed school decide to flog students with those wooden rulers because they didn't greet him properly when he came into the class- he was sack the following week!

telling students to kneel in front of the class just next to the chalkboard or outside the class should be enough
punishment
Re: The Nigerian Teacher/Tutor And The Cane by Nobody: 11:10pm On Jul 27, 2008
kkk
Re: The Nigerian Teacher/Tutor And The Cane by Nobody: 11:14pm On Jul 27, 2008
davidif:

@siena

You're confusing 2 seperate things here!
Corrective smacking because a child's been naughty?
Or corrective beating, because a child failed a test?

One thing's for certain - if a child does not take in lessons, and fails / does badly in school, beating does not make that child learn better, or faster.
It merely makes the child frightened to try.
There's a big difference between a child who doesn't excel in classwork, because he / she's lazy, and another child that does badly, because he / she just isn't cut out for the same work.

Not all children are academic types, and if that's the case, beating the child within an inch of his / her life will make absolutely no difference.
You can't beat education into a child's head, if they are incapable of learning.
A lot of great people today never saw the walls of a school, beyond primary education, but they still achieved something, made good of their lives.

Some children are dyslexic, have you considered that?
Do you think teachers in Nigeria can tell the difference?
Where does a teacher draw the line, between smacking a child, and beating them?
There is a big difference - I have seen children beaten, to the point the skin is broken / split.
And you reckon these children are keen to return to school the following day?

You mentioned respect, and that's a valid point.
Children should respect their teachers and parents / elders because they've been taught to do so, not because they've been beaten.
Having fear for their teachers is very different from having respect, again, please don't confuse the 2.

It's the teacher / tutor's duty to educate the children, and round off the respect part, which the children should have been taught at home, by their parents.
Respect should come from home, if a child is disrespectful, then they're products of their own upbringing.

As for Asians, how very different is their upbringing, in terms of their parents teaching them respect, from in the African society?

Sure, British and American kids can be rude, but how well has the beating Africa children served them?
Just because they appear not to be rude, does not mean they're not lacking in other areas, due to teacher-child trauma.
Disrespect is visual / perceptive, so we tend to focus more on these - one doesn't need special training to realise a child is rude.

A child that has suffered beatings at the hands of a bullying teacher / tutor may appear respectful, but can be mentally damaged, the signs of which may not be immediately apparent, maybe not till they even have their own children.

A mentally damaged child is more of an issue than a rude one, typically such young adults may be withdrawn, and unable to relate to authority in later life.
It's also not uncommon for a child to become "hardened" by beating, and just accept it as the inevitable - at this point, he / she is virtually immune to even the mildest form of correction.

As far as they see it, especially boys, if they misbehave / rebel, what's the most they'll get?
A beating. But, they've had all that, what else is there for them to fear?

Nothing.

I guess folk will decide how best they want their kids to be dealt with at school, they may condone them being beaten by their teachers.

As for myself, it isn't happening. No teacher is going to beat my kids!
It's my duty as a parent to teach my children respect, and take an interest in their school work.
If there are any early learning signs, it's also my duty to find it, and deal with it the best way I can.

And if I was a teacher, there's no way I'd lay the cane on someone else's child.
I'm there to educate, and if the child won't / can't receive, then there could be other issues, which are not for me to deal with.

That's what the parents are there for, and that's what children's reports are for - for the parents to know where their kids are at, in terms of academics.
Re: The Nigerian Teacher/Tutor And The Cane by Gamine(f): 11:17pm On Jul 27, 2008
@Chair shocked lipsrsealed

ok.

Caning in schools is more common in public schools

Many Private schools instruct teachers not to flog.
Re: The Nigerian Teacher/Tutor And The Cane by Hannibal: 11:18pm On Jul 27, 2008
Caning helps a lot. . . .  . . .
It's called discipline. . . .
I agree there's a line between subjecting a kid to discipline and torturing. . . . .
However, i cannot imagine Nigerian kids in schools without the cane. . .  .
Re: The Nigerian Teacher/Tutor And The Cane by Nobody: 11:23pm On Jul 27, 2008
Hannibal:

However, i cannot imagine Nigerian kids in schools without the cane. . . .

Already, you've accepted flogging as a tool in educative circles, which is a worry.
Re: The Nigerian Teacher/Tutor And The Cane by Nobody: 11:29pm On Jul 27, 2008
Re: The Nigerian Teacher/Tutor And The Cane by Hannibal: 11:32pm On Jul 27, 2008
Siena:

Already, you've accepted flogging as a tool in educative circles, which is a worry.

I am disciple of SPARE THE ROD. . . SPOIL THE CHILD.
Ma kids must go to Naija for their secondary school.
The way the Brit Govt want me to train em is appaling.
Re: The Nigerian Teacher/Tutor And The Cane by eldee(m): 11:32pm On Jul 27, 2008
Ever noticed that the average Brit four-year old displays self confidence, compared to the Nigerian kid
'Spare the rod??'Nah . . . Caning is just a punishment for animals

The worst part of sum teachers don't know that it is entirely wrong to punish a kid while you're still angry
Sometimes it gets as bad as greivious bodily harm
Re: The Nigerian Teacher/Tutor And The Cane by Nobody: 11:33pm On Jul 27, 2008
chaircover:

As for my mum's caning; we all just got used to it and carried on with whatever we were doing after the caning. wink

Exactly my point - you became immune, to a certain degree.
Re: The Nigerian Teacher/Tutor And The Cane by Gamine(f): 11:34pm On Jul 27, 2008
I never became immune.

i still cried,

Right now, the thought of someone hitting me, could give me a panic attack
Re: The Nigerian Teacher/Tutor And The Cane by onyinye2(f): 11:36pm On Jul 27, 2008
@post
Yeah im definately glad that i went to school in the states. I mean i don't think i could deal with the knowledge of knowing that my teacher could instantly come and "discipline" for doing something wrong. I guess it would make kids straighten up in a sense but i don't want to go to school in fear. School is suppose to be a place you feel safe and able to learn not feel that you might get "disciplined" for something you did that day. Then go home and deal with more punishment.
Re: The Nigerian Teacher/Tutor And The Cane by Nobody: 11:36pm On Jul 27, 2008
Re: The Nigerian Teacher/Tutor And The Cane by Nobody: 11:38pm On Jul 27, 2008
Gamine:

I never became immune.

i still cried,

Right now, the thought of someone hitting me, could give me a panic attack

Aww! Still, you're safe now, no one's going to hit you. smiley
Re: The Nigerian Teacher/Tutor And The Cane by Gamine(f): 11:40pm On Jul 27, 2008
grin grin grin
Re: The Nigerian Teacher/Tutor And The Cane by Okijajuju1(m): 11:56pm On Jul 27, 2008
Cane.

A.k.a Lashing, a.k.a trashing.

Did it make me a better person??

Hells yeah. I was truant, a mischief and very unruly. The cane put the fear of bleeping up into me. The rules are simple, obey the rules, and you dont get flogged.
But then lets go back in time,

WHY WERE WE FLOGGED??

1. Names of noise makers (classic), Atleast everybody got a piece of the action thanks to this.
2. Late comers. (classic for day students), I suffered this one too.
3. Dirty uniforms.
4. No hymn book (for Assembly).
5. Wrong color of belts & sandals.
6. Unkempt hair and nails (this was very popular especially in primary school)
7. Academics; Ranging from (Not doing or submiting your assignments on time, to failing a quiz or test, to not bringing a textbook or not having notes on a particular subject, to not answering or giving the wrong answer to a question in class).
8. Flying your school uniform.
9. Fighting.
10. Cussing, swearing or speaking pidgin english in school.
11. For the hell of it.

Was it necessary??

Atimes it was, but most of the time I believe the teachers got a sick pleasure out of seeing student wince and cry in pain.

Could they have used alternative type of punishment??

hells yeah!! Infact they did. Kneeling, frog jumps, pick-pin stance, sit on the air, cut the grass on the school feild, e.t.c. But floging was the punishment of choice.

Would I want my kids to be treated the same way??

Hells bleeping yeah. If they deserve it that is.

N/B; The thing is that Nigerian teachers are disgruntled and hate their jobs. The pay is bad and they dont even get paid regularly. This reflects on their job, they flog students at every givable excuse and many atimes these floggings were more malicious than corrective or disciplinary. I remember this one time a teacher flogged a student till blood flowed from him. In Nigerian Navy Secondary School PHC, A naval officer flogged a boy till he was dripping blood all over his body simply cos he wouldnt flinch, wince, cry, move or even act like he could feel anything. Now that is just sick. there are several other tales like this and thats were flogging goes wrong.  
Private schools today, how dare you flog a rich mans child?? Na sanko you go land.
Re: The Nigerian Teacher/Tutor And The Cane by doyin13(m): 11:57pm On Jul 27, 2008
I swear seriously, there are some Teachers, if i see them again, I might be tempted to give a beatdown.

kai. . .I knw I was a chronic recidivist, but still. . . , . . . ,
Re: The Nigerian Teacher/Tutor And The Cane by onyinye2(f): 11:59pm On Jul 27, 2008
But i feel you can get through a child without getting physical with them. I knew plenty of bad ass little kids in school who changed because of strict teachers who were on them on all the time. and never once hit them. And besides i just don't see it as right. i mean hitting a child that aint yours.
Re: The Nigerian Teacher/Tutor And The Cane by triistar86: 12:20am On Jul 28, 2008
Everybody is like its not good, its bad, It should be stopped blah blah blah grin
On a light note,
During my secondary school days it was fun, cos it is when people are caned that you get to see them manifest several funny and hilarious traits,
All you do particularly on the assembly ground or in the class or where ever the beating is going on is to laugh at those exhibition and also silently pray in your mind that your time never comes even but even if it does not too soon. Honestly watching people being caned could be very funny during our days o I dont know about now. At times I even sit down to remember the scenes and all I do is just smile. I hope someone is feeling me.

On a serious note caning never changes anybody as far as I am concerned it only inculcates fear in you and if you get too used to it you become more rigid and very wayward since you already know the worst that could happen. There is need to address the issue of caning in our schools Particularly the Public schools in Naija. I dont see it as the most appropriate means for correcting a child.

Eventually, it all boils down to our Culture and way of life. Kids of today in Nigeria are becoming too wayward they tend not to observe any protocols naturally except they are forced to and most of the time the only way parents  can enforce this is to use a cane.Think of things this way too if your parents don't cane you at home do you think they would ever allow,accept or tolerate it if you are flogged by someone else outside. So its not only a thing of the teachers in our schools its far beyond it although some of these teachers go overboard in doing it.

In conclusion all these stuffs are the vices that makes Nigeria distinctive and most times exciting.  Cant we see it.wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

ASUU Gives Federal Government July 2017 Ultimatum / University Of Ibadan 2017/2018 Post-UTME Form Is Out. Cut-Off Remains 200 / Edet Lives In Calabar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.