Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,646 members, 7,878,882 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 08:48 AM

What Movie Are You Watching Now? - TV/Movies (1192) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / What Movie Are You Watching Now? (3860550 Views)

What Series Are You Watching And Who Is Your Favorite Character? / What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 / What Series Are You Watching Now? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1189) (1190) (1191) (1192) (1193) (1194) (1195) ... (3872) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 12:57pm On Apr 06, 2019
I just read the synopsis online and realise that I have seen it before though in bits

Beorn:

Watch My Name Is Khan. You can also check out Slumdog Millionaire
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by gustav25: 1:16pm On Apr 06, 2019
alexistaiwo:
I just read the synopsis online and realise that I have seen it before though in bits

Guuzarish
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 1:30pm On Apr 06, 2019
mekaprime:

First, IMO, it isn't good comparing brothers against each other. Anyway, you're probably saying this because Ben hasn't won an Academy Award in the best actor category, a feat which his young sibling achieved in 2017, and him winning an Academy Award in the aforementioned category, truth be told is quite implausible. Nevertheless, what am trying to say is, it doesn't matter to me, that stage charisma of his is just ok for me.
And to put this out here, there are two types of act that qualifies one as being a great actor/actress, The first one being the ability of the actor to completely transform himself to the character he plays thus guaranteeing totally believability of the character he plays in the eyes of the audience. This is the standard for great acting.
Then the second one(although not popular) is dependent on the star power of that actor which is mainly based on charisma plus good acting. Not only Ben falls in the later, big shots like Dwayne Johnson also falls in this category.

Being able to sell movies doesn't necessarily translate to talent. Affleck has screen charisma like I have already acknowledged, and more or less have been able to steal a living as an actor like other individuals of the same category; Jason Momoa, Dave Bautista and Dwayne Johnson, to name a few.

Bale has something that shallow actors like Affleck will never have, and that is pure talent. Bale is a method actor. Once he takes a role, he will often adorn the personality of the role, on and off the shooting studio, going so much as losing and gaining body mass to channel more realism into it. Extreme, I know, but it's what made method actors a special breed among actors.

Bale convinced us that he was Batman, and that Bruce Wayne was just a performance. That's how it is supposed to be. Being Bruce Wayne mustn't overshadow the Batman alias. Being Bruce Wayne is just a necessity, not an identity. Bottom line, no one plays dark like Bale. His filmography tell a story of their own.

Affleck did the opposite. He convinced us that he was Bruce Wayne, and Batman was a performance. He inadvertently allowed his Bruce Wayne alias to overshadow his Batman alias. Some people are quick to blame the poor scripting, but conveniently forgot to also blame the one dimensional acting from Ben "I'm a shitty actor" Affleck. When I look back at BvS, the only scenes where he appealed to me were the ones he was the charming billionaire, Bruce Wayne. His Batman was cruel, brutal, impulsive, racist, which are quite frankly, very un-batman like.

On his brother, bro, I didn't start watching movie yesterday. I've watched movies, a lot, grew tired of them mostly, and have largely migrated to tv series. So believe me when I tell you that Casey Affleck movie career didn't start in 2017 like you implied. He has always been good. Unlike Ben, he actually has acting range. He's an assh*le (it runs in the Affleck clan apparently), but a quality talent.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by felai: 2:01pm On Apr 06, 2019
Galapagous:
Those who've seen hotel Mumbai. Can u be kind enough to share the link

Waiting for a response to this. Where did you guys get this hotel Mumbai na
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by felai: 2:08pm On Apr 06, 2019
Still showing at the cinema
felai:

Waiting for a response to this. Where did you guys get this hotel Mumbai na
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by mekaprime: 2:48pm On Apr 06, 2019
KoiceReloaded:

Being able to sell movies doesn't necessarily translate to talent. Affleck has screen charisma like I have already acknowledged, and more or less have been able to steal a living as an actor like other individuals of the same category; Jason Momoa, Dave Bautista and Dwayne Johnson, to name a few.

Bale has something that shallow actors like Affleck will never have, and that is pure talent. Bale is a method actor. Once he takes a role, he will often adorn the personality of the role, on and off the shooting studio, going so much as losing and gaining body mass to channel more realism into it. Extreme, I know, but it's what made method actors a special breed among actors.

Bale convinced us that he was Batman, and that Bruce Wayne was just a performance. That's how it is supposed to be. Being Bruce Wayne mustn't overshadow the Batman alias. Being Bruce Wayne is just a necessity, not an identity. Bottom line, no one plays dark like Bale. His filmography tell a story of their own.

Affleck did the opposite. He convinced us that he was Bruce Wayne, and Batman was a performance. He inadvertently allowed his Bruce Wayne alias to overshadow his Batman alias. Some people are quick to blame the poor scripting, but conveniently forgot to also blame the one dimensional acting from Ben "I'm a shitty actor" Affleck. When I look back at BvS, the only scenes where he appealed to me were the ones he was the charming billionaire, Bruce Wayne. His Batman was cruel, brutal, impulsive, racist, which are quite frankly, very un-batman like.

On his brother, bro, I didn't start watching movie yesterday. I've watched movies, a lot, grew tired of them mostly, and have largely migrated to tv series. So believe me when I tell you that Casey Affleck movie career didn't start in 2017 like you implied. He has always been good. Unlike Ben, he actually has acting range. He's an assh*le (it runs in the Affleck clan apparently), but a quality talent.

Wow! Am impressed, you are quite right on most of your points especially the one on Bale & honestly i'll would have loved to agree with you on all your points, but then we'll both be wrong. Come to think of it bro, about Ben's Batman being cruel, brutal, impulsive, racist, un-batman like, just like you implied, pls who's to blame?? Isn't it the writers & the script ?? Ben simply acted what was on the script, what was given to him, you can't grow An orange tree & expect to harvest an Apple from the same tree.

And your implied one dimensional acting what do you expect considering he had to share the spotlight with Supes in BVS. Were you expecting the Bale kinda performance or something extraordinary considering his screen time & presence were halved and the fact that he also had to share the spotlight with supes.

Unlike Bale who had his own solo movie, he had it up his psychology that he had to give his very best but Ben on the other hand might not feel the same owing to the fact that he shared the spotlight with many other superheroes in all his Batman movies. OK compare Jason Momoa performance in Aquaman & JL what's your observation/take??, which is better??, Our people say a community cow is liable to die of hunger fast, (my point being the movie being the cow & the collection of superhero's in the movie being the community, everyones performance is at par or less than average because there is no motivation here, thus the movie suffers drastically).

Lastly, I never implied Casey Afflecks movie career starting in 2017, I only pointed out his achievement of which I believe Ben might not see as regards his acting career.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by armadeo(m): 3:33pm On Apr 06, 2019
Shazam .....

Fair copy on friends zone.
Watchable but not bluray
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 3:47pm On Apr 06, 2019
mekaprime:

Wow! Am impressed, you are quite right on most of your points especially the one on Bale & honestly i'll would have loved to agree with you on all your points, but then we'll both be wrong. Come to think of it bro, about Ben's Batman being cruel, brutal, impulsive, racist, un-batman like, just like you implied, pls who's to blame?? Isn't it the writers & the script ?? Ben simply acted what was on the script, what was given to him, you can't grow An orange tree & expect to harvest an Apple from the same tree.
It's more complicated than that. A script gives you guidelines, the dos and don't, but it's up to you to find your own way. It's up to you to get creative, to channel the appropriate emotions that are required for a role, and be convincing in them. That's why auditions are necessary, cuz they help to filter the good actors from the bad.

Affleck failed to convince the audience that he is Batman. He failed to grasp that there is more to Batman than wearing a chunky suit, and looking menacing. His batman portrayal gave off a profound bully vibe. He couldn't channel his inner batman, and as a result, the audience were treated to the shallow exploits of a hulking brute.

mekaprime:

And your implied one dimensional acting what do you expect considering he had to share the spotlight with Supes in BVS. Were you expecting the Bale kinda performance or something extraordinary considering his screen time & presence were halved and the fact that he also had to share the spotlight with supes.
I have seen a lot of actors share the spotlight and still shine like a million bucks. For instance, in the Hateful Eight, a lot of actors shared the spotlight. There were no clear antagonist or protagonist, they were all hateful in their special ways, and yet, it didn't stop Samuel Jackson, Tim Roth and Walter Goggins from completely owning their respective roles. Affleck sharing the spotlight isn't an excuse, bro.

mekaprime:

Unlike Bale who had his own solo movie, he had it up his psychology that he had to give his very best but Ben on the other hand might not feel the same owing to the fact that he shared the spotlight with many other superheroes in all his Batman movies. OK compare Jason Momoa performance in Aquaman & JL what's your obsevation/take??, which is better??, Our people say a community cow is liable to die of hunger fast, (my point being the movie being the cow & the collection of superhero's in the movie being the community, everyones performance is at par or less than average because there is no motivation here, thus the movie suffers drastically).
You keep drumming on about the shared spotlight thingy as if it makes a lick of difference. It doesn't.

At bolded, he sucked in both, so it doesn't really matter. He failed to convince me he was aquaman in both.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by mekaprime: 5:10pm On Apr 06, 2019
KoiceReloaded:

It's more complicated than that. A script gives you guidelines, the dos and don't, but it's up to you to find your own way. It's up to you to get creative, to channel the appropriate emotions that are required for a role, and be convincing in them. That's why auditions are necessary, cuz they help to filter the good actors from the bad.

Affleck failed to convince the audience that he is Batman. He failed to grasp that there is more to Batman than wearing a chunky suit, and looking menacing. His batman portrayal gave off a profound bully vibe. He couldn't channel his inner batman, and as a result, the audience were treated to the shallow exploits of a hulking brute.

I have seen a lot of actors share the spotlight and still shine like a million bucks. For instance, in the Hateful Eight, a lot of actors shared the spotlight. There were no clear antagonist or protagonist, they were all hateful in their special ways, and yet, it didn't stop Samuel Jackson, Tim Roth and Walter Goggins from completely owning their respective roles. Affleck sharing the spotlight isn't an excuse, bro.

You keep drumming on about the shared spotlight thingy as if it makes a lick of difference. It doesn't.

At bolded, he sucked in both, so it doesn't really matter. He failed to convince me he was aquaman in both.

Lol, at the bolded, I see your standards are pretty high & you are quite a strong man to please. And if I may ask, on what basis were you judging his performance on?? Am not saying his performance was amazing or spectacular, but IMO,it was quite better than what he gave us in JL.
HATEFUL 8 you say, I would have loved it, if your example was from a superhero movie. Anyway, am throwing in the towel on this one, you literally remind me of the Greek Lernaean Hydra, lol.......
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Viking007(m): 5:42pm On Apr 06, 2019
Chukason1:

Watched it 3 days ago.... 5.1/10..... The film sweet pass for trailer...
Abeg no come kill my vibe, I don dey wait for this film for like 4 months. cheesy
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 6:09pm On Apr 06, 2019
mekaprime:

Lol, at the bolded, I see your standards are pretty high & you are quite a strong man to please. And if I may ask, on what basis were you judging his performance on?? Am not saying his performance was amazing or spectacular, but IMO,it was quite better than what he gave us in JL.
HATEFUL 8 you say, I would have loved it, if your example was from a superhero movie. Anyway, am throwing in the towel on this one, you literally remind me of the Greek Lernaean Hydra, lol.......

None. I wasn't impressed is all. I expected more from the character, I guess. I liked the film (Aquaman), though.

How about Captain America: Civil War? RDJ shared the spotlight with Chris Evans and it worked out well for both.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by J2381: 6:22pm On Apr 06, 2019
Bad Boys 2.

7.5/10.

Can't wait for Bad Boys 3. grin
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by oginniboy(m): 6:22pm On Apr 06, 2019
Please link to download India movies
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by mekaprime: 6:30pm On Apr 06, 2019
KoiceReloaded:

None. I wasn't impressed is all. I expected more from the character, I guess. I liked the film (Aquaman), though.

How about Captain America: Civil War? RDJ shared the spotlight with Chris Evans and it worked out well for both.

So answer this quick question, its safe to infer that you'll rate RDJ or Chris Evans performance in CIVIL WAR high over any of their solo movies??
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 7:11pm On Apr 06, 2019
mekaprime:

So answer this quick question, its safe to infer that you'll rate RDJ or Chris Evans performance in CIVIL WAR high over any of their solo movies??

It doesn't work that way, bro.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by mekaprime: 7:26pm On Apr 06, 2019
KoiceReloaded:

It doesn't work that way, bro.

If what you are implying is a NO, then you have simply validated all the noise I've been making here since, which is; An actors performance in a solo superhero movie can not in anyway be compared to his performance in a shared spotlight superhero movie. The former sure outweighs the later. On this juncture, am picking up my thrown towel & saying let us agree to disagree.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn: 7:50pm On Apr 06, 2019
alexistaiwo:
Why is everyone recommending Slumdog Millionaire?

Because it's interesting.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 8:12pm On Apr 06, 2019
mekaprime:

If what you are implying is a NO, then you have simply validated all the noise I've been making here since, which is; An actors performance in a solo superhero movie can not in anyway be compared to his performance in a shared spotlight superhero movie. The former sure outweighs the later. On this junction, am picking up my thrown towel & saying let us agree to disagree.

First off, this ain't a competition, I'm just trying to make a point, kapish?

Secondly, you completely misunderstood me and the situation. Your question is completely invalid, and here's why:

- Captain America: Civil War is the third part of Chris Evans "solo movies", bro. He may have shared the spotlight with RDJ in Civil war, but the first name on the title card is still his, you feel me? You asked how his Civil War performance compared to his solo movies. Civil war is his "solo" movie. One of a trilogy, in fact.
- You can't compare an actor's supporting role performance to their main role performance. In a main role, he is the center of the plot, while in the supporting role, he's part of the plot. Two contrasting things, bro. So, you can see how it will be unfair comparing RDJ's supporting role performance on Captain America: Civil War, to his Iron Man titular role performance. Apples and oranges.
- In BvS, Henry Cavil and Ben Affleck were both titular characters, and thus, technically, BvS is a solo movie for both.

You have a naive and simplistic take on things sometimes, mekaprime.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by pryme(m): 8:39pm On Apr 06, 2019
JeromeBlack:

Thank you. I thought that I was the only one seeing that Heath ledger's joker is overrated.

The guy was good no doubt but the way people act as if his acting was so good that no other joker can even cone close to his performance.....

As far as am concerned, the best Batman villain in movies for the past 1 and half decade has to be The Riddler (Played by Jim Carey),
He outshined Val Kilmer as the Batman in his own movie. Jim was a like a live wire in this one.

Heat Ledger's Joker has to be the most overrated act in Hollywood, even before his death his Joker received a lot of criticism, I don't know what for.
But for me? What good is joker if he can't crack jokes, Heath was just too uptight for a joker and too cold.

2 Likes

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by pryme(m): 8:44pm On Apr 06, 2019
KoiceReloaded:

By dying, he not only immortalized the character, but he also set the bar pretty high. His portrayal will always be the benchmark for others to match or surpass.

Oh pls,
Are you saying Heath actually portrayed what the joker is really about?
Making Bombs out of toys, smiling while committing brutal acts. Heat tried but he did set a high standard for playing a psychopath.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by JeromeBlack: 8:45pm On Apr 06, 2019
pryme:

As far as am concerned, the best Batman villain in movies for the past 1 and half decade has to be The Riddler (Played by Jim Carey),
He outshined Val Kilmer as the Batman in his own movie. Jim was a like a live wire in this one.

Heat Ledger's Joker has to be the most overrated act in Hollywood, even before his death his Joker received a lot of criticism, I don't know what for.
But for me? What good is joker if he can't crack jokes, Heath was just too uptight for a joker and too cold.

C'mon, the joker in the dark knight cracked some jokes

-"what doesnt kill you makes you stranger"
-"never start with the head......" (in response to batman trying to beat him to a confession)

I just pulled this from memory as I havent watched the movie in like 3 years
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by pryme(m): 8:46pm On Apr 06, 2019
kongolo:
Heath Ledger has been placed on a pedestal by pasty white fanboys.Apart from "10 Things I hate about You," how many other watchable movies did he appear in before his death?

That movie with Sean Connery, that he was pretending to be a Knight (can't remember the name), but it was a good movie though - you should check it out.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Ishilove: 8:51pm On Apr 06, 2019
Glass-

I've not watched Unbreakable, but I've seen Split and I'll pick it over Glass any day. Split has more suspense, more grit and more gore than Glass, with McAvoy being the star in every ramification.

Nevertheless Glass is still a good watch, although it seems to drag in some scenes.

A fair 7/10
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 8:57pm On Apr 06, 2019
pryme:

Oh pls,
Are you saying Heath actually portrayed what the joker is really about?
Making Bombs out of toys, smiling while committing brutal acts. Heat tried but he did set a high standard for playing a psychopath.

I'm not an expect on the Joker, but I can confidently tell you Ledger's Joker is a tough act to follow.

- Extremely intelligent
- Ruthless
- Sadistic
- Cold-blooded

His portrayal of Joker is eerily realistic.

2 Likes

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by pryme(m): 9:06pm On Apr 06, 2019
JeromeBlack:

-"never start with the head......" (in response to batman trying to beat him to a confession)

Bro, pls those jokes are not even a quarter of Joker's repertoire when it comes to jokes.
I guess am too rigid because I the comic standards are suppose to be the real standards, everything was suppose to be rooted on the comic characters, the real Joker.
How many times did Heat let out a long evil laugh? Did he ever dance when the plan was going his way? Did he make fun of batman? Did he pretend to be agony only to let out a long evil laugh.

The truth is the Joker is a very complex character, anyway this is what DC wanted to shove down our face, just like they are trying force us to accept the "fact" that Batman can kill when he gets mad.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by pryme(m): 9:08pm On Apr 06, 2019
Ishilove:
Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse.

Definitely worth the oscar it won. 8/10

Got me a sound track there

Dj Khalil - Elevate.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Ishilove: 9:12pm On Apr 06, 2019
pryme:

Got me a sound track there

Dj Khalil - Elevate.
You know the tune Miles was humming in the beginning?
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by SaviTar(m): 9:16pm On Apr 06, 2019
JeromeBlack:

What about practical jokes like when he made a pencil disappear by killing someone with it grin
Or the part where he was pressing a detonator repeatedly so that the hospital could blow up completely grin

Whoever is saying Heath Ledger didn't do any funny stuff obviously doesn't remember Dark Knight very well.

Pryme when was the last time you saw Dark Knight undecided
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by pryme(m): 9:17pm On Apr 06, 2019
JeromeBlack:

Ben "fat batman" Affleck?

How is he better than Christian Bale?

Bale looked more athletic. Was better at brooding. Looks more like a billionaire playboy. Had a better distorted bat voice.

Please, stop this nonsense. Bale is ten times the actor Ben Affleck is.

See American Psycho, Equilibrium etc and then compare them with any of Affleck's best movies.

Nonsense

Ben Affleck - Dare Devil grin

Who ever is in charge of production at DC needs to be fired
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by pryme(m): 9:24pm On Apr 06, 2019
SaviTar:

What about practical jokes like when he made a pencil disappear by killing someone with it grin
Or the part where he was pressing a detonator repeatedly so that the hospital could blow up completely grin

Whoever is saying Heath Ledger didn't do any funny stuff obviously doesn't remember Dark Knight very well.

Pryme when was the last time you saw Dark Knight undecided

Those are the jokes you saw, that doesn't mean you know "how" The Joker cracks his jokes.

Just like you saw Thanos beat Thor, that's does not mean Thanos has never ran from a fight with Thor.

Heat's Joker is just overrated, it's not the standard Joker.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1189) (1190) (1191) (1192) (1193) (1194) (1195) ... (3872) (Reply)

Live: Big Brother Naija 2018 (Double Wahala) BBNaija Live Thread / BBNaija 2021 Live Updates Thread / BBNaija 2019 Live Updates (Big Brother Naija 2019 Thread)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.