Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,883 members, 7,931,078 topics. Date: Sunday, 25 August 2024 at 03:47 PM

To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South - Politics (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South (26083 Views)

Saraki:To Hell With Morality, Senate Tells Nigerians / Reward Amaechi For His Courageous Support, North Tells Buhari / IMF To FG : Dont Waste Your Oil Money (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by Axis: 8:38am On Aug 18, 2008
DeepZone:

@bold, success and prosperity  via education.

KFC is a job and is far more better than maiguard with five wives.

Bad belle. It's like you've been chasing a Yoruba girl and she's not feeling you. The dirtiness thing about yoruba girls is just an urban legend, If you reason accordingly, you should know that it's those women in purdah that should be buying soap to wash themselves.

You definitely watch only CNN and not NTA because you would've heard that Yola(Gongola) had the highest HIV rate in Nigeria from 2000-2005 before either Yobe or Nassarawa overtook them. The first five states are from the north before the almighty overpopulated Lagos, Imagine!!!!

Like I said before, let's stop throwing tantrums and be more objective. What can we do to help alleviate poverty in the North? Any suggestions?
Pomo eater,
We need proof not just mentioning NTA you bloody liar.  Please go and alleviate poverty and HIV in your family and your village that has sent you to be a beggar and cleaner in another mans country. There is poverty in all over Nigeria so go and take care of yours. If there is no poverty in Niger Delta, they would not be fighting for resource control.

As for yoruba girls, you know i would never go after fat ugly girls with pomo lips that stink. You only know how to bleach and paint your faces with no natural beauty and zero hygeine. When you speak, your mouth stinks of elubo. With all the beauties up north, you know i would definitely not go after ugly yoruba girls that jump from one bed to another.
Reminder: Please Make sure you wash your undies fo the week before you drive all the oyinbo from your city.
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by RibaduFan(m): 10:08am On Aug 18, 2008
@Axis
If am to do a xter profile onm u, this would be it

- Male
- Late Twenties
- Imbecious
- Uneducated
- violent
- short and ugly
- addicted to drugs
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by Thor(m): 10:11am On Aug 18, 2008
To hell with your sand, South tells North grin grin grin
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by DeepZone: 10:32am On Aug 18, 2008
To hell with your sand, South tells North
Roflmao grin grin grin grin
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by gadogado(m): 10:33am On Aug 18, 2008
this is what lord lugard thought of nigerians, he was the first british colonial governor general of nigeria meaning he was responsible for amalgamting the north and south into one country, this was in his memoirs:

"In character and temperament, the typical African of this race-type is a happy, thriftless, excitable person. Lacking in self control, discipline, and foresight. Naturally courageous, and naturally courteous and polite, full of personal vanity, with little sense of veracity, fond of music and loving weapons as an oriental loves jewellery. His thoughts are concentrated on the events and feelings of the moment, and he suffers little from the apprehension for the future, or grief for the past. His mind is far nearer to the animal world than that of the European or Asiatic, and exhibits something of the animals’ placidity and want of desire to rise beyond the State he has reached. Through the ages the African appears to have evolved no organized religious creed, and though some tribes appear to believe in a deity, the religious sense seldom rises above pantheistic animalism and seems more often to take the form of a vague dread of the supernatural"

“He lacks the power of organization, and is conspicuously deficient in the management and control alike of men of business. He loves the display of power, but fails to realize its responsibility , he will work hard with a less incentive than most races. He has the courage of the fighting animal, an instinct rather than a moral virtue, In brief, the virtues and defects of this race-type are those of attractive children, whose confidence when it is won is given ungrudgingly as to an older and wiser superior and without envy, Perhaps the two traits which have impressed me as those most characteristic of the African native are his lack of apprehension and his lack of ability to visualize the future."
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by gadogado(m): 10:40am On Aug 18, 2008
@deepzone

@axis

@nairaland posters

Nigeria cannot develop because we are black according to lugard!! you're black and you cannot develop because you are by nature an idiot with animal brain. Meaning you're all animals!!! CAN YOU PROVE HIM WRONG?? PROBABLY NOT!!! you're just black and have limited intellectual capacity!!!This is the problem with north, south west, south-south, south east, you people are just black, if you took all the blacks out of nigeria and put them in england and took all the whites from england and put them in nigeria, in 20 yrs time, england would be destroyed and nigeria would be developed and beautiful. why? BECAUSE YOU ARE BLACK!!!!!BLACK BLACK BLACK. IT is in your nature to be underdeveloped.
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by DeepZone: 10:41am On Aug 18, 2008
Pomo eater,
We need proof not just mentioning NTA you bloody liar. Please go and alleviate poverty and HIV in your family and your village that has sent you to be a beggar and cleaner in another mans country. There is poverty in all over Nigeria so go and take care of yours. If there is no poverty in Niger Delta, they would not be fighting for resource control.

As for yoruba girls, you know i would never go after fat ugly girls with pomo lips that stink. You only know how to bleach and paint your faces with no natural beauty and zero hygeine. When you speak, your mouth stinks of elubo. With all the beauties up north, you know i would definitely not go after ugly yoruba girls that jump from one bed to another.
Reminder: Please Make sure you wash your undies fo the week before you drive all the oyinbo from your city.

No wonder no Yoruba lady will agree to follow you with this your kulikuli and goro mouth. Who knows where you are hollering at them, pine pine gias(Fine Fine girls). First of all learn how to pronounce the letter F before hollering at preety hot Yoruba girls. If her name is Funke, she won't admire you if you call her Punke. grin grin grin grin grin

Take life easy Axis man, learn to respect the yorubas because you have a lot to learn from them. We are in the 21st century and we need to move with time and that entails moving with the group that has upped their ante in terms of academics. Cattle rearing, shoe shining, nail clipping, maiguard and polygamy will soon pass away. Who wants to hire a maiguard these days when their are infrared detectors that can keep you safe 24/7?

One question tho
: why are there many homosexuals up north even with the sharia going on there? (this is an innocent question because i don't know why homosexuality is very rampant there).
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by DeepZone: 10:42am On Aug 18, 2008
@deepzone

@axis

@nairaland posters

Nigeria cannot develop because we are black according to lugard!! you're black and you cannot develop because you are by nature an idiot with animal brain. Meaning you're all animals!!! CAN YOU PROVE HIM WRONG?? PROBABLY NOT!!! you're just black and have limited intellectual capacity!!!This is the problem with north, south west, south-south, south east, you people are just black, if you took all the blacks out of nigeria and put them in england and took all the whites from england and put them in nigeria, in 20 years time, england would be destroyed and nigeria would be developed and beautiful. why? BECAUSE YOU ARE BLACK!!!!!BLACK BLACK BLACK. IT is in your nature to be underdeveloped.

When did you become Lord Lugard's disciple? After the middle belters embarrassed you here? To hell with your Lord Lugard.
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by RibaduFan(m): 12:12pm On Aug 18, 2008
@ axis
still listing
- as been turned down many ladies
- was abused by dad
- is a victim of incest
- has beaten up/murdered one or both parents
- has a mental record
- has a history of failing exams
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by gadogado(m): 12:23pm On Aug 18, 2008
@deepzone

what do you feel when white people say this about you, have you read the lugard memoir i posted? you should!!how does this make you feel?? me, im not black, im lebanese but grew up in kano and lagos. my parents are lebanese born in lebanon. so how does this make you feel?? when powerful british intellectuals and officials say blacks are close to animals in terms of demeanor. what goes through your mind? when many white intellectuals say you are a lesser human being therefore closer to the animal than other races of the human family, what do you think??how does it make you feel you cant even prove them wrong. i think "from my experience" blacks are less intelligent than whites or lebanese people. prove me wrong if you can?? do you agree that you're inferior?
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by Thor(m): 12:41pm On Aug 18, 2008
It is definitely true that blacks appear to be less educated and not as driven or ambitious as white people. Whether this is to do with the lack of good solid education or more genetically based I am not sure.

It also goes without saying that blacks normally destroy what they are given and treat things with disrespect. If you look at all the filth and squalor in Lagos, you will see that the average Nigerian has very little respect for where they live or their fellow human beings.

Your quote about sending Nigerians to the UK and UK citizens to Nigeria is so true, Nigerians would destroy Britain in no time for sure. You only have to look at the East End of London where the Black African communities live, they are filthy and crime ridden.
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by tpia: 1:16pm On Aug 18, 2008
gadogado:

@deepzone

what do you feel when white people say this about you, have you read the lugard memoir i posted? you should!!how does this make you feel?? me, im not black, im lebanese but grew up in kano and lagos. my parents are lebanese born in lebanon. so how does this make you feel?? when powerful british intellectuals and officials say blacks are close to animals in terms of demeanor. what goes through your mind? when many white intellectuals say you are a lesser human being therefore closer to the animal than other races of the human family, what do you think??how does it make you feel you can't even prove them wrong. i think "from my experience" blacks are less intelligent than whites or lebanese people. prove me wrong if you can?? do you agree that you're inferior?

you're Lebanese? hmmm. Kind of hard to believe. Am sure you're muslim as well- you were defending the rights of almajiris in your other post.

Learn to make allowances for different eras. Its a well known fact that colonials were racist. Nothing new there.

If you do some research, you'll also find out what the British said about Arabs/middle easterners around this same era you're quoting here. I'm willing to bet it would be even more damaging than Lord Lugard's words.  Also, post a link to the full text plz.

Isnt it this same middle east which Europeans waged crusades against for hundreds of years? You want to start bringing up what people said about other races?
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by tpia: 1:29pm On Aug 18, 2008
Thor:

It is definitely true that blacks appear to be less educated and not as driven or ambitious as white people. Whether this is to do with the lack of good solid education or more genetically based I am not sure.

It also goes without saying that blacks normally destroy what they are given and treat things with disrespect. If you look at all the filth and squalor in Lagos, you will see that the average Nigerian has very little respect for where they live or their fellow human beings.

Your quote about sending Nigerians to the UK and UK citizens to Nigeria is so true, Nigerians would destroy Britain in no time for sure. You only have to look at the East End of London where the Black African communities live, they are filthy and crime ridden.

Thor, just because people are found in a ghetto doesnt mean they invented the ghetto.

If you can reveal where you're from, I'm sure a little investigation will uncover the slum areas there.

Try to read the following:

East End

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_End#Today

The East End came into being as the separate villages east of London spread and the fields between them were built upon, a process that occurred in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. From the beginning, the East End has always contained some of the poorest areas of London.

William Booth began his 'Christian Revival Society' in 1865, preaching the gospel in a tent erected in the 'Friends Burial Ground', Thomas Street, Whitechapel. Others joined his 'Christian Mission', and on August 7, 1878 the Salvation Army was formed at a meeting held at 272 Whitechapel Road. A statue commemorates both his mission and his work in helping the poor. A Dubliner, Thomas John Barnardo came to the London Hospital, Whitechapel to train for medical missionary work in China. Soon after his arrival in 1866, a cholera epidemic swept the East End, killing 3,000 people. Many families were left destitute, with thousands of children orphaned and forced to beg or find work in the factories.
In 1884, the Settlement movement was founded, with settlements such as Toynbee Hall and Oxford House, to encourage university students to live and work in the slums, experience the conditions and try to alleviate some of the poverty and misery in the East End.

During the 19th century, building on an adhoc basis could never keep up with the needs of the expanding population. Henry Mayhew visited Bethnal Green in 1850 and wrote for the Morning Chronicle, as a part of a series forming the basis for London Labour and the London Poor (1851), that the trades in the area included tailors, costermongers, shoemakers, dustmen, sawyers, carpenters, cabinet makers and silkweavers. He noted that in the area:

roads were unmade, often mere alleys, houses small and without foundations, subdivided and often around unpaved courts. An almost total lack of drainage and sewerage was made worse by the ponds formed by the excavation of brickearth. Pigs and cows in back yards, noxious trades like boiling tripe, melting tallow, or preparing cat's meat, and slaughter houses, dustheaps, and 'lakes of putrefying night soil' added to the filth
—Henry Mayhew London Labour and London Poor (1851)[

"Hardest of all, the Luftwaffe will smash Stepney. I know the East End! Those dirty Jews and Cockneys will run like rabbits into their holes. ”
—Germany Calling - Lord Haw-Haw, collaborator and broadcaster

Throughout history, the area has absorbed waves of immigrants who have each added a new dimension to the culture and history of the area, most notably the French Protestant Huguenots in the 17th century, the Irish in the 18th century, Ashkenazi Jews fleeing pogroms in Eastern Europe towards the end of the 19th century, and the Bangladeshi community settling in the East End from the 1960s.

In 1786, the Committee for the Relief of the Black Poor was formed, by citizens concerned at the size of London's indigent Black population, many of whom had been expelled from North America as Black Loyalists, former slaves who had fought on the side of the British, in the War of Independence. Others were discharged sailors, and some a legacy of British involvement in the slave trade.

The high levels of poverty in the East End have, throughout history, resulted in a corresponding incidence of crime.

Historically, the East End has suffered from under-investment in both housing stock and infrastructure. From the 1950s, the East End represented the structural and social changes affecting the UK economy in a microcosm. The area had one of the highest concentrations of council housing, the legacy both of slum clearance and war time destruction.
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by kevd2: 1:33pm On Aug 18, 2008
@Deepzone ,let me apologize to you if i have offende the yoruba's with my statement "the yoruba's tend to be arrogant' rather i should have used the statement most yoruba's are arrogant, because i am merely expressing what other tribes in Nigeria feel about your tribe ,just take a poll and see.
My point is that every tribe has its attitude and mentality that are both negative and positive i say this without any tribal prejudice. The North is Backward, and uses Religoin as an excuse for retrogresiveness,My own tribe spends too much time drinking and womanizing and are generally not interested in moving above the state they have reached,the ibos, the yorubas, the Niger Deltans all have their shortcomings and i leave that to you and the imagination of the nairalanders. only educated and exposed people knows this and refuses to stereotype himself or herselfwith the shortcomings of his tribe to identify with his or her people .But to be objective and for this forum to have any usefull outcome we must openly state he shortcomings of our tribes without being disrespectful to other peoples culture.I have not disagreed with you or Axis that the North is backward but adressing this problem by use of innuendos and disrespectful comments to other people's tribe is counterproductive and only incites hatred.pls you can effect a change without being disrespectfull to other peoples tribes.So far this thread has been reduced to nothing but insults and tribal hatred.once again i have no haterd for any yoruba man ,i think have risen above tribal sentiments, i only stated what i think is a negative attitude of the yourubas , the north and my tribe inclusive.
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by MCUsman(m): 4:06pm On Aug 18, 2008
kev-d:

@Deepzone ,let me apologize to you if i have offende the yoruba's with my statement "the yoruba's tend to be arrogant' rather i should have used the statement most yoruba's are arrogant,

Arrogant & stinking dirty.
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by tpia: 4:11pm On Aug 18, 2008
MC Usman:

Arrogant & stinking dirty.

like the "dirty jews", abi?

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/pages/ShArt.jhtml?itemNo=669119&contrassID=1&subContrassID=1

"Muslim cleric Abu Hamza al-Masri, accused the Jews of being blasphemous, treacherous and dirty. This, because of their treachery and their blasphemy and their filth, was why Hitler was sent into the world," Perry said.
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by MCUsman(m): 4:53pm On Aug 18, 2008
tpia:

like the "dirty jews", abi?

The North is always described as backward & illiterate, this definition despite the truth is so repetitive in naira land. Why is it hard to accept the simple fact that Yoruba’s are arrogant & stink?
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by tpia: 5:02pm On Aug 18, 2008
MC Usman:

The North is always described as backward & illiterate, this definition despite the truth is so repetitive in naira land. Why is it hard to accept the simple fact that Yoruba’s are arrogant & stink?

I don't know how many Yorubas have stunk in your face, but the reason I posted that link about dirty jews is to show you that these stereotypes are nothing new. Its just a matter of attaching a different label to the same old story.

where are your muslim Yoruba brothers by the way? Do they also stink, or is it only the Christian ones who smell?

Is it every single Yoruba person you met who described the north as backward and illiterates? Including the Yorubas who are married to Northerners?
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by DeepZone: 5:10pm On Aug 18, 2008
@Deepzone ,let me apologize to you if i have offende the yoruba's with my statement "the yoruba's tend to be arrogant' rather i should have used the statement most yoruba's are arrogant, because i am merely expressing what other tribes in Nigeria feel about your tribe ,just take a poll and see.
My point is that every tribe has its attitude and mentality that are both negative and positive i say this without any tribal prejudice. The North is Backward, and uses Religoin as an excuse for retrogresiveness,My own tribe spends too much time drinking and womanizing and are generally not interested in moving above the state they have reached,the ibos, the yorubas, the Niger Deltans all have their shortcomings and i leave that to you and the imagination of the nairalanders. only educated and exposed people knows this and refuses to stereotype himself or herselfwith the shortcomings of his tribe to identify with his or her people .But to be objective and for this forum to have any usefull outcome we must openly state he shortcomings of our tribes without being disrespectful to other peoples culture.I have not disagreed with you or Axis that the North is backward but adressing this problem by use of innuendos and disrespectful comments to other people's tribe is counterproductive and only incites hatred.please you can effect a change without being disrespectfull to other peoples tribes.So far this thread has been reduced to nothing but insults and tribal hatred.once again i have no haterd for any yoruba man ,i think have risen above tribal sentiments, i only stated what i think is a negative attitude of the yourubas , the north and my tribe inclusive.
OK; Thanks but we are not arrogant by a long short.
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by DeepZone: 5:11pm On Aug 18, 2008
I don't know how many Yorubas have stunk in your face, but the reason I posted that link about dirty jews is to show you that these stereotypes are nothing new. Its just a matter of attaching a different label to the same old story.

where are your muslim Yoruba brothers by the way? Do they also stink, or is it only the Christian ones who smell?

Help me ask that mamula.
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by MCUsman(m): 5:15pm On Aug 18, 2008
DeepZone:

Help me ask that mamula.

Na you sabi

@ tpia

Are all the northerners illiterates, does that mean intellectuals like Prof. Jubrin Aminu, Prof. Munzali Jubrin (NUC), Prof. Salim Ahmed, Prof. B.B. Danbatta, Justice Mohammed Uwais (SAN) and a host of other technocrats and intellectuals are all illiterates?
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by morpheus24: 5:22pm On Aug 18, 2008
MC Usman:

Na you sabi

@ tpia

Are all the northerners illiterates, does that mean intellectuals like Prof. Jubrin Aminu, Prof. Munzali Jubrin (NUC), Prof. Salim Ahmed, Prof. B.B. Danbatta, Justice Mohammed Uwais (SAN) and a host of other technocrats and intellectuals are all illiterates?

Majority of northeners are not well educated. This can be substantiated
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by DeepZone: 5:26pm On Aug 18, 2008
@ tpia

The above named can be found in one family in the south.
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by Axis: 5:33pm On Aug 18, 2008
morpheus24:

keep consoling yourselves, that is what an average ignorant southerner thinks. With our lack of education, we have been able to rule you in so many ways and that is why i call you guys cows.
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by MCUsman(m): 5:42pm On Aug 18, 2008
morpheus24:

Majority of Yorubas are arrogant & sinks. This can be substantiated grin grin grin grin

DeepZone:

The above named can be found in one family in the south.

Yet the same mamulas are holding you to ramson
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by DeepZone: 5:48pm On Aug 18, 2008
Yet the same mamulas are holding you to ramson

See how you reason like an early man? North is not holding us to ransom, rather, they are dragging us back. What can we do? Leave our brothers to die in the desert when God purposely hooked them on our neck to help them. You guys are our storm.
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by Axis: 5:49pm On Aug 18, 2008
Thor:

Who are the most dominant in Lagos and east london? are they not the yoruba's. Deepzone;s and the rest, they have transfered their dirty anf filthy ways of living from yoruba land to east london,  destroying  their community with dirt and filth. You yoruba's are bloody dirty and full of filth.
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by morpheus24: 5:49pm On Aug 18, 2008
Axis:

keep consoling yourselves, that is what an average ignorant southerner thinks. With our lack of education, we have been able to rule you in so many ways and that is why i call you guys cows.

You don't need brillliant minds to terrorize or rule people, just brutality and the ability to brainwash a whole bunch of "brainwashable" people.

Please name what you think the north has to offer Nigeria? Nothing but deadweight.
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by tpia: 5:54pm On Aug 18, 2008
MC Usman:

Na you sabi

@ tpia

I dont know why you're directing your questions at me. The ones I asked you refused to answer. I'm not involved in all the name calling plz. My own issues are of a different sort.

Once again- is it every single Yoruba you met, who called the northerners illiterates.

And do these stinking Yoruba include your fellow muslims who also worship the same Allah as you.

These are simple questions. Why are you dodging them?
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by Axis: 5:57pm On Aug 18, 2008
yemmyse:

@ axis
still listing
- as been turned down many ladies
- was abused by dad
- is a victim of incest
- has beaten up/murdered one or both parents
- has a mental record
- has a history of failing exams

Another yoruba educated illiterate. Just because i said the truth you are pouring all these allegations against me. Thanks for listing what you went through with your life before escaping to abroad. Bloody slanderer !!!!
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by Axis: 6:02pm On Aug 18, 2008
tpia:

I don't know why you're directing your questions at me. The ones I asked you refused to answer.  I'm not involved in all the name calling plz. My own issues are of a different sort.

Once again- is it every single Yoruba you met, who called the northerners illiterates.

And do these stinking Yoruba include your fellow muslims who also worship the same Allah as you.

These are simple questions. Why are you dodging them?

All yoruba girls stink believe it or not, if you think i am lying, book at appoinment with Deepzone.
Re: To Hell With Your Oil, North Tells South by tpia: 6:03pm On Aug 18, 2008
Axis:

Who are the most dominant in Lagos and east london? are they not the yoruba's. Deepzone;s and the rest, they have transfered their dirty anf filthy ways of living from yoruba land to east london,  destroying  their community with dirt and filth. You yoruba's are bloody dirty and full of filth.

Info on London's East End:

East End

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_End#Today

The East End came into being as the separate villages east of London spread and the fields between them were built upon, a process that occurred in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. From the beginning, the East End has always contained some of the poorest areas of London.

William Booth began his 'Christian Revival Society' in 1865, preaching the gospel in a tent erected in the 'Friends Burial Ground', Thomas Street, Whitechapel. Others joined his 'Christian Mission', and on August 7, 1878 the Salvation Army was formed at a meeting held at 272 Whitechapel Road. A statue commemorates both his mission and his work in helping the poor. A Dubliner, Thomas John Barnardo came to the London Hospital, Whitechapel to train for medical missionary work in China. Soon after his arrival in 1866, a cholera epidemic swept the East End, killing 3,000 people. Many families were left destitute, with thousands of children orphaned and forced to beg or find work in the factories.
In 1884, the Settlement movement was founded, with settlements such as Toynbee Hall and Oxford House, to encourage university students to live and work in the slums, experience the conditions and try to alleviate some of the poverty and misery in the East End.

During the 19th century, building on an adhoc basis could never keep up with the needs of the expanding population. Henry Mayhew visited Bethnal Green in 1850 and wrote for the Morning Chronicle, as a part of a series forming the basis for London Labour and the London Poor (1851), that the trades in the area included tailors, costermongers, shoemakers, dustmen, sawyers, carpenters, cabinet makers and silkweavers. He noted that in the area:

“ roads were unmade, often mere alleys, houses small and without foundations, subdivided and often around unpaved courts. An almost total lack of drainage and sewerage was made worse by the ponds formed by the excavation of brickearth. Pigs and cows in back yards, noxious trades like boiling tripe, melting tallow, or preparing cat's meat, and slaughter houses, dustheaps, and 'lakes of putrefying night soil' added to the filth ”
—Henry Mayhew London Labour and London Poor (1851)[

"Hardest of all, the Luftwaffe will smash Stepney. I know the East End! Those dirty Jews and Cockneys will run like rabbits into their holes. ”
—Germany Calling - Lord Haw-Haw, collaborator and broadcaster

Throughout history, the area has absorbed waves of immigrants who have each added a new dimension to the culture and history of the area, most notably the French Protestant Huguenots in the 17th century, the Irish in the 18th century, Ashkenazi Jews fleeing pogroms in Eastern Europe towards the end of the 19th century, and the Bangladeshi community settling in the East End from the 1960s.

In 1786, the Committee for the Relief of the Black Poor was formed, by citizens concerned at the size of London's indigent Black population, many of whom had been expelled from North America as Black Loyalists, former slaves who had fought on the side of the British, in the War of Independence. Others were discharged sailors, and some a legacy of British involvement in the slave trade.

The high levels of poverty in the East End have, throughout history, resulted in a corresponding incidence of crime.

Historically, the East End has suffered from under-investment in both housing stock and infrastructure. From the 1950s, the East End represented the structural and social changes affecting the UK economy in a microcosm. The area had one of the highest concentrations of council housing, the legacy both of slum clearance and war time destruction.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (18) (Reply)

Chinyere Kalu: First Female Pilot / APC Accuses Jonathan Of ‘last-minute Dubious Activities’ / Dino Melaye Shares Prayer Points On Twitter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.