Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,185,185 members, 7,925,692 topics. Date: Monday, 19 August 2024 at 08:32 PM

Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria (61396 Views)

10 Cheapest Private And Public Universities In Nigeria / Afe Babalola University Hikes Fees Of Medical Students From 1.7m to 2.6m / Respect First Class Students In Public Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by yim(f): 3:17pm On Dec 15, 2013
OAU:

Freshers in non science courses pay 37500(this includes accomodation and acceptance fees).
Sciences, agric and tech pay around 40000 and health sciences pay like 42000
Stalites pay 7150 plus bank charges in non science region while sciences, agric and tech pay about 12000 including bank charges then health sciences pay about 15000.
accomodation is 3090 for freshmen and 2500 for stalites
Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by 2good(m): 3:40pm On Dec 15, 2013
rudedough:

You can also pay back your college loan after you graduate and secure a job. Every country is doing it, why can't we do it too?

Because it is difficult to get a job in Nigeria that will take care of you after graduation, let alone pay back the loan.
Hope you also know about the crisis of student loan in the US?
Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:50pm On Dec 15, 2013
Samakus:

If Govt cnt subsidize or even provide free, qualitative tertiary education 4 d populace,then, y is d essence of government basically '2 do 4 d ppl wot d ppl cant do 4 themselves'? I wonder if u ar in govt payroll or a daughter of one money bag like dat cos if u ar training ursf in skul, u wnt talk lyk dis.

[b]I wonder what you all think a University is. Is a University a place where they read big books, memorise and pass exams? In my school exams account for only 40% of your module, the rest marks are gotten from research and assignments.

When one school spends over £170 million on research only, Nigerians are advocating for free tertiary education. Nigeria Universities are the way it is because of the selfishness of your fathers and you've inherited that selfishness to destroy the coming generation.

Cheap Education = Low quality Lecturers, Plagiarized Lecture notes, Dilapidated Infrastructure, Rickety Laboratories and No Research (You can't even fund the libraries)

Expensive Education = Professional Lecturers, Research Based Lecture notes, Improved Infrastructure, Sophisticated Laboratories and More Research work for both students and professors. ( And more published books and journals.)

The school needs funds to run and if you're not willing to pay for education, then don't go to college. College is not for everyone my friend. But if you wish to get a college degree, then you got to pay for it and it's not cheap. Don't ruin the coming generation with your cheap free-for-all mentality.

You guys should be asking the Govt to provide educational loans and not crying for cheap or free tertiary education. That proposal is very annoying and i wonder why Nigerians are so cheap?
[/b]

3 Likes

Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:54pm On Dec 15, 2013
2good:

Because it is difficult to get a job in Nigeria that will take care of you after graduation, let alone pay back the loan.
Hope you also know about the crisis of student loan in the US?

Don't worry about that, it's also very difficult to get a job anywhere in the world. The Govt is a very patient body and they can wait until you get a Job. This system will also inspire them to create more jobs so that young graduates can pay back their college loans. That's how it works in every sane society.

The Govt gives to you and you give back to the system. Let's stop being cheap and eradicate our mindset of this free-for-all mentality. It's the reason why Nigeria is in a state of ruin already.

2 Likes

Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by proffemi: 4:54pm On Dec 15, 2013
rudedough: Take a deep breath Bro and re-read your comment. Your types are the problem with Nigeria. You want everything handed over to you for free. You demand so much from the Govt while you don't want to give anything back. You said in your own words "it does not not neccesarily mean wat is good and working for them will work for us"

kalokalo: You are absolutely right!. Nigerians are first class jokers. They want world class education for a few thousand naira per annum. In a country of 170+ million people and a per capita income of less than $3000. Jokers I say! You have countries who are infinitely wealthier than Nigeria charging tuition fees that is more than 50 times the price in Nigeria even when subsidized for their citizens and we wonder why their universities are world class and ours are not?

I say a big thank you. I'm sick of Nigerians and our short-cut, give-me-everything-free mentality (or as someone once said, "buy one, get 10 free!"wink. It's this same attitude that seems to lurk in the hearts of all Nigerians, from paupers to princes, that leads (largely) to the horrendous levels of corruption and malfeasance we see around us.

Even if ASUU tackles FG for the next 50 years, until students either (a) start paying closer to what their education or worth OR (b) truly appreciate what the FG is doing for them (and wipe off that silly sense of entitlement), things will never be right with the Nigerian tertiary education system*

*of course, there is also the small matter of low-quality, unprofessional, inept, randy and lazy lecturers, but that's slightly outside the bounds of the current discussion

1 Like

Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by docsholz(m): 6:26pm On Dec 15, 2013
The way some peeps are quick to compare Nigeria with other developed countries just because they've money or live abroad is just plain ridiculous, so quick to forget this countries have better economies, more equitable wealth distribution(meaning there's money in d pockets of d majority of citizens) and better social security(meaning the government spends heavily on grants, scholarships and student aids for d disadvantaged) that said, every honest Nigerian knows Nigeria isn't ready yet when we're ready it will definitely happen

Pls lets learn to compare reasonably
Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by HoldenCaulfield(m): 8:17pm On Dec 15, 2013
the cheapest uni in nigeria is my beloved ATBU only 22k and no any goddamn acceptance fee
Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:06pm On Dec 15, 2013
doc sholz: The way some peeps are quick to compare Nigeria with other developed countries just because they've money or live abroad is just plain ridiculous, so quick to forget this countries have better economies, more equitable wealth distribution(meaning there's money in d pockets of d majority of citizens) and better social security(meaning the government spends heavily on grants, scholarships and student aids for d disadvantaged) that said, every honest Nigerian knows Nigeria isn't ready yet when we're ready it will definitely happen

Pls lets learn to compare reasonably

The only reasonable post so far.
Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by NobleG1(m): 10:51pm On Dec 15, 2013
Knowing the tuition is the problem for most naija youths. Getting admission is their problem.
Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by jpphilips(m): 10:04am On Dec 16, 2013
ngozievergreen:

what kind of nonsense is that?
indigene and non indigene for sch fees?
the indigenes no like school?
@OP, I rep my alma mater unizik: I still feel its the cheapest.
Paid 23,100(over all school fees) from year 1-6.

I really know some great minds from unizik, and during the black days of ASUU strikes in the last decade the distinguished leadership of prof ilochi okafor and B.N orajiaka was able to shield the students, no doubt about the superb leadership at the time,
however, what is most baffling is how a great institution with an amazing leadership at the time churn out a shallow mind like you,
perhaps its time I embraced the reality that the biblical judas in every 12 was never a myth.
every post of yours makes mockery of that great institution with your resolve on tribalism, you degrade the efforts of that institution to an unimaginable lowest of the lows.
I still have my doubt whether that institution really passed through you.
Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by Stinoboss: 11:43am On Dec 16, 2013
Abia state university(absu) 120,000 4 none science 130,000 4 science..nid help on absu cal me on 08132761062
Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by BRAINCRASH(m): 11:56am On Dec 16, 2013
FUTYOLA Adamawa=15,900,hostel=8000.
Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by Osunstate: 12:34pm On Dec 16, 2013
BRAINCRASH: FUTYOLA Adamawa=15,900,hostel=8000.
pls wen d schl will start selling pre degree n hw much is d schl fees for pregreeif u r current student of d schl kindly flash or call me to ds number 07066352045 just to make much enquiry about d sch
Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by DadaStephen1(m): 3:53pm On Dec 16, 2013
K.K Imoh:
IBB UNI. Lapai ,Niger state, for freshers = #52.500 excluding hostel acom0dati0n = #7000, tution fee for returning students / 2nd year = #34000

Is that a state school?
Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by DadaStephen1(m): 3:54pm On Dec 16, 2013
Soyedele1: Lautech

Acceptance fee -- N20000
Indegene --- N65,000
Non indegene -- N72,500 or so (not sure)

I'm paying N40,000. My set is the last set that paid N40000

Hmmmm
Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by DadaStephen1(m): 3:55pm On Dec 16, 2013
onose1: AAU:40,000-50,000 depending on d course u r studying(excluding #40,000 for acceptance fee)

Acceptance 40 what?!
Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by DadaStephen1(m): 3:57pm On Dec 16, 2013
Ms_Steph: It is cheaper in northern universities. Like in nassarawa state uni I think it is less than 30k

Plus free mini laptop
Free Education is a possibility
Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by DadaStephen1(m): 4:50pm On Dec 16, 2013
chiefololade: So people in Polytechnics and Colleges of Education are not students?

No dear, it's just that Universities are costlier than these schools. Though, i will still address that issue.
Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by DadaStephen1(m): 4:52pm On Dec 16, 2013
isarumah: National Open University of Nigeria, sum of about N110,000 per Session. This includes tuition, ID card, ICT, course and exams fees for the two semesters.

Isn't that ridiculous?
Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by DadaStephen1(m): 4:54pm On Dec 16, 2013
bobby256: For uniport,its almost close to 150,000 for freshers

Wow
Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by DadaStephen1(m): 4:56pm On Dec 16, 2013
Olaide1295: Olabisi onabanjo uni....elect/elect engr.....#173030

Holy ghost!

1 Like

Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by DadaStephen1(m): 5:09pm On Dec 16, 2013
rudedough:

[b]You want to fight for FREE TERTIARY EDUCATION? Are you serious or high on cheap drugs? Where does that happen? Believe me N100,000 per annum is so cheap, it's cheaper than Laboratory charges in international Universities.

You guys are quick to play the comparison card but you never verify your facts before betting on it. Government subsidize their local tuition fee yet it's 20 times more expensive than Nigeria Universities.

Local Students pay - N2,000,000+ per annum

International Students pay - N5,000,000+ per annum and this is not a luxurious university.

You should note that basic education is the right of every child but not tertiary education. Even the British themselves, only a few of them could afford a college degree. You have it better Bro, appreciate the Govt. effort to make education cheaper in Nigeria. People here become indebted after college, they spend the first 3 years of their working lives paying off college debts.

You don't know what you have until you've lost it.
[/b]

I was almost offended by your comment until i saw your profile name.
You appear to b grossly misguided. These countries with expensive tuition fees have ways of making up for their citizens, most don't have what we have in terms of natural resources. They have appropriately structured welfare packages for the citizenry.
Africans and especially Nigerians made education expensive abroad, as at last two years, Norway, Finland and Austria run free education at all levels and i believe some countries still do.
Mind you, you might have to read the constitutional before talking ignorantly.
Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by DadaStephen1(m): 5:15pm On Dec 16, 2013
michade: LASU school of engineering fee is 298k for current freshers n 200..And other levels pay the total sum of 25k.....
Father Lord!
Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by otokx(m): 5:21pm On Dec 16, 2013
Dada-Stephen:

Father Lord!

This dude is making me laugh
Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:42pm On Dec 16, 2013
Dada-Stephen:

I was almost offended by your comment until i saw your profile name.
You appear to b grossly misguided. These countries with expensive tuition fees have ways of making up for their citizens, most don't have what we have in terms of natural resources. They have appropriately structured welfare packages for the citizenry.
Africans and especially Nigerians made education expensive abroad, as at last two years, Norway, Finland and Austria run free education at all levels and i believe some countries still do.
Mind you, you might have to read the constitutional before talking ignorantly.

[b]I don't want to reply to your comment that is void of facts but hearsay. But know this.

The selfishness of your fathers are the reason why Nigeria Universities are like these. You have inherited that selfish give-me-for-free attitude from your father and you're already prepared to destroy your children's education in the future and if they too inherit your selfish free-for all attitude, it's going to continue a vicious circle.

Before you pick offense, let me explain to you how selfish your fathers were in the past. In 1964 we discovered oil, Population was 55,620,268. Government started building schools and declared it FREE-FOR-ALL our fathers were happy. They built railways, made it cheap everyone was happy. Built hospitals made it cheap our fathers were happy and everything else.

Fast forward to today, population 170,000,000 people.

Free-For-All railway don kpafuka, no money for maintenance.
Cheap Airport don kpafuka no money for maintenance.
Cheap Universities don kpafuka, no money for maintenance.
Toll-Free Bridges don kpafuka, no money for maintenance.
Toll-Free Roads don kpafuka, no money for maintenance.

Your "OUR OIL" mentality has so shattered your sense of reasoning, you don't think anymore before you write. All you "WE HAVE OIL" people forgets that our population now is 170,000,000 people and our oil export cannot sustain half of our population.

Your fathers caused the problem that we now suffer, don't spread the suffering to the next innocent generation. Pay for whatever the Govt gives you until the Govt is buoyant enough to subsidize our livelihood. SAY NO TO I-WILL-GIVE-YOU-FREE-UNIVERSITIES GOVERNMENT.

#JustAnAdvice.
[/b]

3 Likes

Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by jpphilips(m): 6:52pm On Dec 16, 2013
rudedough:

[b]I don't want to reply to your comment that is void of facts but hearsay. But know this.

The selfishness of your fathers are the reason why Nigeria Universities are like these. You have inherited that selfish give-me-for-free attitude from your father and you're already prepared to destroy your children's education in the future and if they too inherit your selfish free-for all attitude, it's going to continue a vicious circle.

Before you pick offense, let me explain to you how selfish your fathers were in the past. In 1964 we discovered oil, Population was 55,620,268. Government started building schools and declared it FREE-FOR-ALL our fathers were happy. They built railways, made it cheap everyone was happy. Built hospitals made it cheap our fathers were happy and everything else.

Fast forward to today, population 170,000,000 people.

Free-For-All railway don kpafuka, no money for maintenance.
Cheap Airport don kpafuka no money for maintenance.
Cheap Universities don kpafuka, no money for maintenance.
Toll-Free Bridges don kpafuka, no money for maintenance.
Toll-Free Roads don kpafuka, no money for maintenance.

Your "OUR OIL" mentality has so shattered your sense of reasoning, you don't think anymore before you write. All you "WE HAVE OIL" people forgets that our population now is 170,000,000 people and our oil export cannot sustain half of our population.

Your fathers caused the problem that we now suffer, don't spread the suffering to the next innocent generation. Pay for whatever the Govt gives you until the Govt is buoyant enough to subsidize our livelihood. SAY NO TO I-WILL-GIVE-YOU-FREE-UNIVERSITIES GOVERNMENT.

#JustAnAdvice.
[/b]

does the word mismanagement of taxes ring a bell?
you have a point but paying the govt in the face of corruption is a waste.

1 Like

Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by DadaStephen1(m): 7:14pm On Dec 16, 2013
Darey4u2010: Classic! I am interesting on this quest. It is indeed a great job to investigate and defend such qoute in our constitution. It gonna be a beneficial to less privileged. I wish you succes and positive accomplishment!

Thanks, i am encouraged
Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by DadaStephen1(m): 7:19pm On Dec 16, 2013
vanguard1: Cheap tuition means cheap(substandard) Education, we ought to have past that level now. it is a honest fact that Education aint for the poor.if you can't afford it, go and learn a skill.

That's outrightly irrational! You can't be as rich as i am, we are talking about ordinary Nigerians here.
Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by DadaStephen1(m): 7:20pm On Dec 16, 2013
Chomzy19: Is that supposed to be an English Word?

One of the Ills of cheap Education

grin
Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by DadaStephen1(m): 7:24pm On Dec 16, 2013
careless:
Also a student of tasued,as at 2010de student I paid 40000 for acceptance fee,102000 for school fee.

That's not true, i finished from the same school in 2010
Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by DadaStephen1(m): 7:35pm On Dec 16, 2013
ify84: no be only Finland de give free education...

una never hear....

Imo state university na FREE....

FREE according to rochas sha... na dre I stop...

Thank you, that's my point exactly! Someone has tried ot and it's working
Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by DadaStephen1(m): 7:54pm On Dec 16, 2013
Darkaengel:

How stupid can you get? When you say education is cheap and you compare with the price of other universities abroad based on the exchange rate can you not realise you are trsting the borders of sanity? The OP is doing the right thing. In Nigeria here how many families can afford the 150k some schools charge. Ekiti state charges about 100 now as against the 165 before it was reduced due to an uproar from students. Please if you cannot help move the nation forward leave the rest of us who want to do so. You complain of standards. Despite the lack of facilities we still excel based on the theoretical framework of our education system. I have experienced foreign education, where preciselY and how many countries I will not bother to elucidate, and really the only difference is the lack of infrastructure and a few sensible lecturers, nevertheless we can make education free so I beg you in God's name be the change you want in society.

God bless you!

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Lecturer Caught Pants Down With Married Woman In Asaba Hotel / See The Big Snake Killed At Dramatic Art Department, OAU (pics) / Salary For A Graduate Assistant In A Federal Polytechnic

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.