Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,870 members, 7,876,307 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 02:28 PM

Nairaland Interschool Debate:Winner::: UNILAG - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Interschool Debate:Winner::: UNILAG (14092 Views)

LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY / UNILORIN--FUNAAB: Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: FUNAAB / OAU--ABU ZARIA: Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: OAU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Winner::: UNILAG by Miscellaneous(m): 7:28pm On Dec 20, 2013
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Winner::: UNILAG by snoopy(m): 7:29pm On Dec 20, 2013
Ayomitide77: [quote author=snoopy]Nigeria has been an oil and gas
producing state for over 50 years with almost nothing to
show for it as the advent of
oil and gas massively fuelled
corruption which has had a
deadly effect on the general
well-being of Nigerians, denying the citizenry of the
improved standard of living
that ordinarily proceeds of
the oil and gas should bring.
[\quote]And how do you think the government has been
running the economy since then.How do you think the
government have been financing tertiary education in
Nigeria?

Kenya which runs an agro-based economy has universities that rank higher than that of Nigeria's that runs a primarily petroleum-based economy. My point is with oil and gas, we ought to be doing better as a nation but instead, it has proven to only benefit the minority ruling class and hence a required focus on agriculture for a pragmatic solution to the poverty that abounds in the land.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Winner::: UNILAG by Ayomitide77(m): 7:30pm On Dec 20, 2013
snoopy:

Your statement is highly contradictory sir. You agreed infrastructural development started before the oil boom and they stated that infrastructural development wasn't implemented due to lack of funds....it is also pertinent to note that MOST of the basic infrastructure was built BEFORE the oil boom and NOT after. Our top universities were built and nutured to world class standards with proceeds from agriculture before neglect set in...most of the basic institutions were also built with such proceeds and the same government has failed to maintain these infrastructure with current proceeds from oil so i fail to understand your argument sir.
There were infrastructures in place before the oil boom and some infrastructure were implemented after the oil boom.But what I meant was that there were already plans for the ones built after the oil boom but lack of fund was the reason it could not be embark upon.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Winner::: UNILAG by snoopy(m): 7:32pm On Dec 20, 2013
Ayomitide77: There were infrastructures in place before the oil boom and some infrastructure were implemented after the oil boom.But what I meant was that there were already plans for the ones built after the oil boom but lack of fund was the reason it could not be embark upon.

A classical example will go a long way in convincing me sir.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Winner::: UNILAG by Ayomitide77(m): 7:35pm On Dec 20, 2013
snoopy: Kenya which runs an agro-
based economy has
universities that rank higher
than that of Nigeria's that
runs a primarily petroleum-
based economy. My point is with oil and gas, we ought to
be doing better as a nation
but instead, it has proven to
only benefit the minority
ruling class and hence a
required focus on agriculture for a pragmatic solution to
the poverty that abounds in
the land.
The oil and gas sector has generated enough revenue to make the country well developed but mismanagement of this funds by the governent is stalling the development.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Winner::: UNILAG by Miscellaneous(m): 7:36pm On Dec 20, 2013
Audience can now ask questions
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Winner::: UNILAG by snoopy(m): 7:38pm On Dec 20, 2013
Double post
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Winner::: UNILAG by snoopy(m): 7:38pm On Dec 20, 2013
Double post
Ayomitide77: The oil and gas sector has generated enough revenue to make the country well developed but mismanagement of this funds by the governent is stalling the development.

Exactly! The reason why we MUST shift our focus to agriculture.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Winner::: UNILAG by Ayomitide77(m): 7:39pm On Dec 20, 2013
snoopy:

A classical example will go a long way in convincing me sir.
Some highways such as Lagos-Ibadan expressway.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Winner::: UNILAG by Ayomitide77(m): 7:41pm On Dec 20, 2013
snoopy:

Exactly! The reason why we MUST shift our focus to agriculture.
And what makes you think the money that will be generated from the agricultural sector cant be mismanaged.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Winner::: UNILAG by snoopy(m): 7:45pm On Dec 20, 2013
Ayomitide77: Some highways such as Lagos-Ibadan expressway.

The Lagos-ibadan expressway was constructed about 35 years ago, a time when the oil boom was at its peak. My request for an example is in reference to your statement that some projects where embarked upon during the era of Nigerias agro-based economy and stopped due to lack of funds. This is no such example
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Winner::: UNILAG by snoopy(m): 7:50pm On Dec 20, 2013
Ayomitide77: And what makes you think the money that will be generated from the agricultural sector cant be mismanaged.

Agriculture employs roughly 70% of our population as against 1% in the oil and gas sector...the government is directly in charge of proceeds of oil and gas through the NNPC, an agro-based economy is an economy where the larger populace have a direct share in the proceeds as against the oil and gas sector.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Winner::: UNILAG by Miscellaneous(m): 7:50pm On Dec 20, 2013
Debate now ended

Results will be announced tomorrow

see planning thread for more details
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Winner::: UNILAG by Ayomitide77(m): 7:53pm On Dec 20, 2013
snoopy:

The Lagos-ibadan expressway was constructed about 35 years ago, a time when the oil boom was at its peak. My request for an example is in reference to your statement that some projects where embarked upon during the era of Nigerias agro-based economy and stopped due to lack of funds. This is no such example
It was construction 35years ago,but taken your time to find out when the project commenced.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Winner::: UNILAG by Ayomitide77(m): 7:55pm On Dec 20, 2013
snoopy:

Agriculture employs roughly 70% of our population as against 1% in the oil and gas sector...the government is directly in charge of proceeds of oil and gas through the NNPC, an agro-based economy is an economy where the larger populace have a direct share in the proceeds as against the oil and gas sector.
Did I hear you say 1% of the population are employed by the oil and gas sector.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Winner::: UNILAG by snoopy(m): 7:58pm On Dec 20, 2013
Ayomitide77: Did I hear you say 1% of the population are employed by the oil and gas sector.
Directly yes! I was even being generous with that figure. It should be much less than that
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Winner::: UNILAG by snoopy(m): 8:07pm On Dec 20, 2013
Ayomitide77: It was construction 35years ago,but taken your time to find out when the project commenced.
its for u to provide me with verified information to convince me of your stand not requiring me to find out for myself...and as far as I know, Lagos-Ibadan expressway was constructed 35 years ago and guess what? I do have verified information for you on that lol

www.thisdaylive.com/articles/lagos-ibadan-highway-long-walk-to-sanity-well-hopefully/155244/
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Winner::: UNILAG by snoopy(m): 8:09pm On Dec 20, 2013
Miscellaneous: Debate now ended

Results will be announced tomorrow

see planning thread for more details

Phew!...finally..wasn't an easy task having to soldier it alone against two brilliant and well-informed opponents as my partner had to attend to his ailing mum. Hoping for the best tomorrow grin
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Winner::: UNILAG by Nobody: 8:18pm On Dec 20, 2013
snoopy:

Phew!...finally..wasn't an easy task having to soldier it alone against two brilliant and well-informed opponents as my partner had to attend to his ailing mum. Hoping for the best tomorrow grin
weldone snoppy..~gives him handkerchief~ wipe away those beads of sweat from your brow..
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Winner::: UNILAG by Ayomitide77(m): 8:19pm On Dec 20, 2013
snoopy: its for u to provide me with verified information to convince me of your stand not requiring me to find out for myself...and as far as I know, Lagos-Ibadan expressway was constructed 35 years ago and guess what? I do have verified information for you on that lol

www.thisdaylive.com/articles/lagos-ibadan-highway-long-walk-to-sanity-well-hopefully/155244/
I was hoping you would show the one with the year in which project commenced.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Winner::: UNILAG by Ayomitide77(m): 8:26pm On Dec 20, 2013
snoopy:
Directly yes! I was even being generous with that figure. It should be much less than that
Do you realise that all the Fuel Stations across the country are under the oil and gas sector? Do you know the population of people working at oil terminals,oil fields and other oil-allied firms in the country?I assume you dont know all this before and I am glad I have been able to enlighten you about it.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Winner::: UNILAG by snoopy(m): 8:32pm On Dec 20, 2013
Ayomitide77: Do you realise that all the Fuel Stations across the country are under the oil and gas sector? Do you know the population of people working at oil terminals,oil fields and other oil-allied firms in the country?I assume you dont know all this before and I am glad I have been able to enlighten you about it.

lol am tempted to argue this but I'ld let it pass as the debate has been declared closed. Besides I know u are very persistent and never get tired grin nice job from u, once again you have put my abilities to the test, you've been most formidable so far. Respect
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Winner::: UNILAG by snoopy(m): 8:38pm On Dec 20, 2013
Epaul: weldone snoppy..~gives him handkerchief~ wipe away those beads of sweat from your brow..

*collects handkerchief and wipes sweat off face, removes tee shirt and wipes sweat off chest* Lord! I feel much better *hands handkerchief back to Epaul* thanks bro altho I doubt u'ld be compelled to use that handkerchief anytime soon grin
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Winner::: UNILAG by sangresan(m): 11:24pm On Dec 20, 2013
Funny..Ayomitide,which is ur dept in Akungba?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Winner::: UNILAG by Ayomitide77(m): 7:27am On Dec 21, 2013
sangresan: Funny..Ayomitide,which is ur dept in Akungba?
Chemistry
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Winner::: UNILAG by honeydear(f): 9:33am On Dec 21, 2013
Good morning ladies and gentle men, hope ya'll had a wonderful night smiley......anyway the results of yesterday's debate will be posted soon...dont go anywherewink
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Winner::: UNILAG by honeydear(f): 9:45am On Dec 21, 2013
[b]JUDGE 1

UNILAG
SNOOPY
1. Presentation (opening, flow, closing,
response to judges questions,
audience questions and contestants
rebuttals)=4
2. Logic of arguments=4
3. Strenght of facts, examples, cases.=2
4. Persuasiveness=3
5. Demonstration of knowledge and
understanding of the subject=4
TOTAL.......17

DAMOSKY
rebuttals)=3
2. Logic of arguments=3
3. Strenght of facts, examples, cases.=3
4. Persuasiveness=2
understanding of the subject=3
TOTAL.......14

AAUA
GBEMMIE09
rebuttals)=3
2. Logic of arguments=2
4. Persuasiveness=2
understanding of the subject=4
TOTAL........13

AYOMITIDE
rebuttals)=2
2. Logic of arguments=2
3. Strenght of facts, examples, cases.=4
4. Persuasiveness=2
understanding of the subject=2
TOTAL.........12[/b]
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Winner::: UNILAG by honeydear(f): 10:10am On Dec 21, 2013
[b]JUDGE 2

UNILAG
SNOOPY
rebuttals)=4
2. Logic of arguments=3
3. Strenght of facts, examples, cases.=3
4. Persuasiveness=2
understanding of the subject=2
TOTAL.......14

DAMOSKY
rebuttals)=4
2. Logic of arguments=2
4. Persuasiveness=2
TOTAL.......13

AAUA
GBEMMIE09
rebuttals)=3
2. Logic of arguments=4
4. Persuasiveness=3
TOTAL........15

AYOMITIDE
rebuttals)=2
2. Logic of arguments=3
3. Strenght of facts, examples, cases.=4
4. Persuasiveness=2
TOTAL.........14[/b]
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Winner::: UNILAG by honeydear(f): 10:22am On Dec 21, 2013
UNILAG Total score: 17+14+14+13 =58

AAUA Total score: 13+12+15+14 =54

Going by this results I hereby declare UNILAG the winner
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Winner::: UNILAG by gbemmie09(f): 11:26am On Dec 21, 2013
l need some answers to this question, how can someone who is not available score higher than one who is?.......how can he be persuasive, when he's not present?.........tanx in anticipation

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Winner::: UNILAG by snoopy(m): 11:33am On Dec 21, 2013
Wow! Was a close call..God is good lol considering the fact that my preparation for this debate was less that satisfactory..I had only completed my essay on the afternoon of debate day due to an extremely busy schedule during the week. I must also commend the AAUA folks..you guys earned by respect and for the fact that your school had resumed lectures and you even had to race down here from one is most admirable. Welldone ayotimide and sister gbemi, y'all were most formidable.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

NOUN Alumni Association Decries Discrimination / 2012 WAEC Results (WASSCE May/June ) Have Not Been Published / Strike: Refusing Further Negotiations With FG Is Develish, NANS Tells ASUU

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.