Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,868 members, 7,876,304 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 02:24 PM

Nairaland Interschool Debate:Winner::: UNILAG - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Interschool Debate:Winner::: UNILAG (14091 Views)

LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY / UNILORIN--FUNAAB: Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: FUNAAB / OAU--ABU ZARIA: Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: OAU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Winner::: UNILAG by Ayomitide77(m): 2:40pm On Dec 21, 2013
Haha....To be sincere with everyone,as far as I am concerned,the result is nt fair at all.Am not saying this because we lost but because the judges were not fair to us at all.Imagine someone who was not even present during the rebuttal scoring more than someone who was present to defend himself during the rebuttal.I missed an important gathering just to be present during the rebuttal.Anyway,goodluck to snoopy and his partner and special thanks to the organiser of the debate for creating a platform for me to develop my academic career.God bless you all.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Winner::: UNILAG by sangresan(m): 10:40pm On Dec 21, 2013
Nice.I am in Industrial Maths.It will be cool to see u guys on campus.Are u still in Akungba?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Winner::: UNILAG by Ayomitide77(m): 10:46pm On Dec 21, 2013
sangresan: Nice.I am in Industrial Maths.It will be cool to see u guys on campus.Are u still in Akungba?
Yep
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Winner::: UNILAG by sangresan(m): 10:55pm On Dec 21, 2013
Area?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Winner::: UNILAG by Ayomitide77(m): 11:37pm On Dec 21, 2013
sangresan: Area?
2nd market area
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Winner::: UNILAG by Matthewbriggs(m): 8:23am On Dec 22, 2013
Hello Debaters, moderators and spectators.

First I will start by tendering my sincere apologies for sending in my observations late. But most importantly to congratulate every one who participated, you all tried in doing your best. A big thumbs up to the winners... i wish you "more keys to your keyboard".

Moreover, I would like to put forward my general observations.

1. l like the writing skills displayed today they were fun to read and had a flow. but there is always room for improvement.

2. I feel like you all didn't do so much reserch given how rich your topic was. You wrote longs eassys but threw few points accros.

3. Your write up were more expository than argumentative.

4. Next time before start writing your arguments create bullets list of points first before you proceed to expanciate them.

For example.
SURPPORTING
A. Agriculture provides room for mass employement hence reducing porverty.

B. Food is the one of he basic needs of man and of a nation. Agriculture helps fill that need.

C. Agricultural activities are more friendly to the enviroment than oil and gas.

D. Agricultural activities can higly increase our gdp because we have such a large land mass, enough man power and a market that is ever in need of food.

E. Agricultural products can never finish like oil.

F. Agriculture can also help provide the energy needs of the nation via biogas and at the same time feed the nation.

G.Agricultural ventuures do not need so much capital to implement.

OPPOSING
A. No nation can do without a energy... Oil provides that energy that help make things work and move. Infact every sector needs energy from oil to run... developing this sector means low gas prices, a better standard of living for her citizens and an eficiently run nation.

B. Oil has high returns rate... which we've all witnessed over the years. The wealthy nations of the middle east can also testify to this fact.

C. Proceeds from oil given how high yelding it is...can help transform virtualy every sector of the economy. Ranging from agriculture to healh and education.

D. Oil has been know to have direct effect on the economy eg.. High gas prices, every thing gets expensive and life gets more difficult for her citizens. focusing on it there fore makes sense because once we increse yield, production and efficient distribution every part of the economy gets better. etc

C. Unlike agriculture that is prone to drought and famine.... Oil is dependable it is not controlled by seasons.

The above are what I call bullet points... once you have them you proceed to expanciate them using facts, figures and data.

As a judge i look for these bullet points in your argument, the more i see the more you score.

I prefer someone who says less and passes more information across that writing a thesis with few points.

5. One of you raised this question.

"l need some answers to this question, how can someone who is not available score higher than one who is?.......how can he be persuasive, when he's not present?.........tanx in anticipation"

"Haha....To be sincere with everyone,as far as I am concerned,the result is nt fair at all.Am not saying this because we lost but because the judges were not fair to us at all.Imagine someone who was not even present during the rebuttal scoring more than someone who was present to defend himself during the rebuttal."

First I understand where you are coming from, and the source of your grieviance and appreciate the fact that you brought that up.

Moreover as a judge I look for quality arguments instead of quantity arguments. The best place to start is in ur opening essays, if you miss it there you've missed it. Rebutals are important but not as important as your main essay.

For me that was where your opponnet did better. he was'nt present to rebut but did much better in his opening arguement.

To the best of our ability these results are fair, just and professionally done.

Moreover as judges we are human and therefore falible and prone to err. Your observations have all been duly noted.

I wish both teams a blissfilled christmas cellebration and a happy New year in advance.

Best regards ladies & gentlemen... May your fire fear no wind.

Mathew Briggs... the fire!!! wishes you peace

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

NOUN Alumni Association Decries Discrimination / 2012 WAEC Results (WASSCE May/June ) Have Not Been Published / Strike: Refusing Further Negotiations With FG Is Develish, NANS Tells ASUU

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.