Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,956 members, 7,915,811 topics. Date: Friday, 09 August 2024 at 10:44 AM

What's With Nigerians And Borrowing Money? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What's With Nigerians And Borrowing Money? (2538 Views)

Nigerians And "Aso-ebi Mentality. / Borrowing Money Or Selling Property To Marry / Nigerians And Teen Pregnancy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's With Nigerians And Borrowing Money? by Nobody: 7:45pm On Dec 18, 2013
In a space of a few hours, I got two calls from two different people who didn't even know the other exists. And the request is to borrow money to do some project they have at hand. Now, this is not unusual. In the few periods my phone becomes open to outside calls, why must I always get calls to borrow money? Why do Nigerians love borrowing money so much?
Whether it's one project they want to complete or it's one fee they need to pay.....why do they stoop so low to demand money from others?

I always thought humans would fight to be independent and not have to lean excessively on others, especially for monetary support.

The darnedest thing is that it almost becomes impossible to recover this money from them once they have it. Yet they were so convinced they would return it when they borrow. Why? Why? why?

1 Like

Re: What's With Nigerians And Borrowing Money? by Nobody: 8:06pm On Dec 18, 2013
@ op i understand you are typing this in anger and i can literarilly sense anger in the tone of your post however,there are some things you need to rule out before i go to the issue at hand

GENERALIZATIONS.have you met the whole 160 million people in each of the 36 states for you to conclude that why do nigerians like borowing money

secondly i feel there is nothing wrong in borrowing money from someone as long as the person knows he has the means to return it and that in itself should be done rarely however,i personally will never borrow FROM anyone or TO
ANYONE

so to the issue,maybe you portrayed yourself as a money bag so they feel,o,mr xyz is loaded,he has money,he is soft hearted,i know if i go to him to borrow me money,he will.

Solution: if you are mr flashy guy or mr show off,stop it.you attract borrowers with such an attitude.sometimes also you need to say no when you mean it.i am not discouraging you not to lend money out to people but they should not turn you to micro finance bank.do it once in a while and if you also feel like giving,give,but do everything in MODERATION

3 Likes

Re: What's With Nigerians And Borrowing Money? by Woged2005(f): 8:14pm On Dec 18, 2013
Please it's not all Nigerians, but people who cry for what they can't afford, people who can't save, and people who have used up all their lies/credit lines with every person they know and now discovering new people to borrow from. The funniest is a guy who borrowed from a friend to pay his mistress' rent while his house rent (where he lives with his wife and kids were past due)...LoL!

Only banks lend money and not individuals. If you have, pls give as a donation but never give a loan to a naija. I've learned the had way. If u doubt me go and ask the failed banks how they got there. grin

1 Like

Re: What's With Nigerians And Borrowing Money? by Nobody: 9:00pm On Dec 18, 2013
Woged2005: Please it's not all Nigerians, but people who cry for what they can't afford, people who can't save, and people who have used up all their lies/credit lines with every person they know and now discovering new people to borrow from. The funniest is a guy who borrowed from a friend to pay his mistress' rent while his house rent (where he lives with his wife and kids were past due)...LoL!

Only banks lend money and not individuals. If you have, pls give as a donation but never give a loan to a naija. I've learned the had way. If u doubt me go and ask the failed banks how they got there. grin
since i was 17,i dont borrow,its either i give you or i dont give.i learnt the hard way when i borrowed my roomates friend the money i was supposed to use in buying a text book that our lecturer recommended to us back then,i lent her so she could use it to buy drugs for her sister the doctor recommended and each time i go to her room and knock,she hears my voice but she wont open.when i accosted her,she shunned me,since then,whether your grandma is dying or you have not paid your fees and they are at the verge of cancelling your registration,if you come and ask me to borrow money,i will not give.

However if i am moved to give,i give and i am giving with love which is to people very close to me not just an acquaintance or a friends friend.

At the end of the day i had to go and lend the book from my course mate who wont even let me take the book out of her room,she says i should read whatever i have to read in her room,so i was left with no other option than to write everything down.i cried then because it was so painful the way she shunned me on top of my money o and i didnt even yell at her or embarass her as typical of some girls i know,maybe because i was still a jjc.that singular action of kike has closed my mind towards borrowing money to anyone and i too dont borrow from anyone.till tomorrow,she didnt even say shewa thanks for the money o,i bought the drugs and my sister is alright

the other day when my office people were contributing money in the name of,lets borrow this man money so he can pay his house rent,when he recuperates from his financial loss,he will pay us back,i said sorry i dont have,they were like haba shewa,i know you can afford it na,lets help this guy,i said patricia,look me in the eye,i am not giving anybody any money and i wont borrow too,the day you see or hear me borrow,feel free to disgrace me.

not because i hated the person they were trying to raise money for,but that girl that made me go through hell and even shunned me in public and mademe face all sorts of insults because she didnt return my money to buy the text book,lecturer sending me away from the class because i didnt have the text book,lecturer not allowing me to write 2 tests because of that same book and at the end of the day had a 'd' in that course when i know i could have performed better and even after begging the lecturer that i have read he should allow me write the test,he said he doesnt care,kneel down from now to next year,you will not write this test till you bring that book.that scar is still in my heart up till now,even though i have left university several years back,those memories are always too painful and thats why up till today i dont borrow anyonw anything money
Re: What's With Nigerians And Borrowing Money? by Nobody: 10:10pm On Dec 18, 2013
If you don't have, why not let them know undecided
In the west, people burrow money all the time but this time from banks. Nigeria doesn't have that facility easily available for everyone so they turn to friends or relative.

I have burrowed money to people a lot, some pay back, some don't. That's life! You move on.
If you are not comfortable helping say so they turn to somewhere else.
Re: What's With Nigerians And Borrowing Money? by Emmyk(m): 10:47pm On Dec 18, 2013
Hmmm.
Re: What's With Nigerians And Borrowing Money? by Nobody: 10:59pm On Dec 18, 2013
The last thing I'd do is show myself as a moneybag. I certainly don't do that. Nevertheless they still come.

I don't think it's cos am softhearted either. I don't think that's anything. Of course i try not to yield. I've had one or two experiences where they never pay back. Nigerians so not keep their word. Still they come.

I think am just going to go with the being blunt option. Enough of this!

When i said Nigerians, i tried to look at the psyche of the people and it's hardly contestable that most Nigerians, given their tendency to support lifestyles they can't afford, often resort to borrowing to do this conveniently.

Meanwhile, kulyie was a good read. I can't believe you would make conversations into prose. Was interesting.
grin
Re: What's With Nigerians And Borrowing Money? by Kanwulia: 12:22am On Dec 19, 2013
You LEND people money, not BORROW PEOPLE MONEY!!!! kiss

I NEVER LEND PEOPLE MONEY!!!! I Give it to them! I don't really have that kind of time to stress myself out ESPECIALLY, with family and friends!

NEVER PART WITH MONEY YOU CAN'T GET BACK!!! kiss

1 Like

Re: What's With Nigerians And Borrowing Money? by Nobody: 1:07am On Dec 19, 2013
sauer: The last thing I'd do is show myself as a moneybag. I certainly don't do that. Nevertheless they still come.

I don't think it's cos am softhearted either. I don't think that's anything. Of course i try not to borrow these people. I've had one or two experiences where they never pay back. Nigerians so not keep their word. Still they come.

I think am just going to go with the being blunt option. Enough of this!

When i said Nigerians, i tried to look at the psyche of the people and it's hardly contestable that most Nigerians, given their tendency to support lifestyles they can't afford, often resort to borrowing to do this conveniently.

Meanwhile, kulyie was a good read. I can't believe you would make conversations into prose. Was interesting.
grin
yeah,thanks smiley
Re: What's With Nigerians And Borrowing Money? by Nobody: 6:24am On Dec 19, 2013
Kanwulia: You LEND people money, not BORROW PEOPLE MONEY!!!! kiss

I NEVER LEND PEOPLE MONEY!!!! I Give it to them! I don't really have that kind of time to
stress myself out ESPECIALLY, with family and friends!

NEVER PART WITH MONEY YOU CAN'T GET BACK!!! kiss

Thanks man for the correction. I was so lost in anger. Can't believe I'd make this high school mistake. I've done my little corrections. wink
Re: What's With Nigerians And Borrowing Money? by Nobody: 6:38am On Dec 19, 2013
Nigerian like to ask for money, u and ur family r part of the system so its also in ur blood.
Mtcheew.
Next time don't generalise.
Morever, if ur ur appearance, poise and utterances showed u gat it, don't complain when they come knocking.

The golden rule is, any money u lend to pple is a sacrificial money if u don't have the heart to get back every penny u gave out.
Re: What's With Nigerians And Borrowing Money? by mink505: 9:30am On Dec 19, 2013
maybe because you appear rich? that must be annoying isn't it?
to be honest, it is not a "nigerian" thing. that same mentality is present in people of different countries too. esp poorer people if you are the only wealthier one among them. that's why the rich befriend the rich and the poor befriend the poor. if a rich man befriends d poor, then he must be ready to part with his wealth grin

according to statistics lottery winners also lose their wealth very fast. esp if they come from poor background. everyone will beg the money dry.even stragers will come out of the nooks and crannies claiming to be their long lost cousins or friend.
me, if i win a lottery, I will just pack my load and move far away. i will disappear. grin

maybe you should distance yourself from those people as well. make friends with wealthier people who don't need your money.

1 Like

Re: What's With Nigerians And Borrowing Money? by EfemenaXY: 11:33am On Dec 19, 2013
sauer: In a space of a few hours, I got two calls from two different people who didn't even know the other exists. And the request is to borrow money to do some project they have at hand. Now, this is not unusual. In the few periods my phone becomes open to outside calls, why must I always get calls to borrow money? Why do Nigerians love borrowing money so much?
Whether it's one project they want to complete or it's one fee they need to pay.....why do they stoop so low to demand money from others?

I always thought humans would fight to be independent and not have to lean excessively on others, especially for monetary support.

The darnedest thing is that it almost becomes impossible to recover this money from them once they have it. Yet they were so convinced they would return it when they borrow. Why? Why? why?

Money brings out the worst in people.

It's very easy for Nigerians to roll out sob stories to make you open up your purse strings. It makes you wonder, if they can put in so much effort into 'borrowing', why not redirect that effort into paying back when the time comes up? Or better still, to make do with what they have and, if they want more, then work and try harder?

If you do decide to 'help' out, only give out what you can afford to do without and don't expect a refund / repayment. Don't let anyone cajole you into parting with more than you are comfortable with. If they need more, point them to the nearest bank or community centre.
Re: What's With Nigerians And Borrowing Money? by EfemenaXY: 11:36am On Dec 19, 2013
kulyie: since i was 17,i dont borrow,its either i give you or i dont give.i learnt the hard way when i borrowed my roomates friend the money i was supposed to use in buying a text book that our lecturer recommended to us back then,i lent her so she could use it to buy drugs for her sister the doctor recommended and each time i go to her room and knock,she hears my voice but she wont open.when i accosted her,she shunned me,since then,whether your grandma is dying or you have not paid your fees and they are at the verge of cancelling your registration,if you come and ask me to borrow money,i will not give.

However if i am moved to give,i give and i am giving with love which is to people very close to me not just an acquaintance or a friends friend.

At the end of the day i had to go and lend the book from my course mate who wont even let me take the book out of her room,she says i should read whatever i have to read in her room,so i was left with no other option than to write everything down.i cried then because it was so painful the way she shunned me on top of my money o and i didnt even yell at her or embarass her as typical of some girls i know,maybe because i was still a jjc.that singular action of kike has closed my mind towards borrowing money to anyone and i too dont borrow from anyone.till tomorrow,she didnt even say shewa thanks for the money o,i bought the drugs and my sister is alright

the other day when my office people were contributing money in the name of,lets borrow this man money so he can pay his house rent,when he recuperates from his financial loss,he will pay us back,i said sorry i dont have,they were like haba shewa,i know you can afford it na,lets help this guy,i said patricia,look me in the eye,i am not giving anybody any money and i wont borrow too,the day you see or hear me borrow,feel free to disgrace me.

not because i hated the person they were trying to raise money for,but that girl that made me go through hell and even shunned me in public and mademe face all sorts of insults because she didnt return my money to buy the text book,lecturer sending me away from the class because i didnt have the text book,lecturer not allowing me to write 2 tests because of that same book and at the end of the day had a 'd' in that course when i know i could have performed better and even after begging the lecturer that i have read he should allow me write the test,he said he doesnt care,kneel down from now to next year,you will not write this test till you bring that book.that scar is still in my heart up till now,even though i have left university several years back,those memories are always too painful and thats why up till today i dont borrow anyonw anything money

Never knew you could write like this!

Nice story though. Did you ever get to ask her why she refused to pay you back and why the hostility? Did you also let her know that it's because of people like her, your faith in human nature Nigerians had received a serious knock on the head and you'll be sceptical to ever lend out because of that singular experience?
Re: What's With Nigerians And Borrowing Money? by Kanwulia: 11:37am On Dec 19, 2013
sauer:
Thanks man for the correction. I was so lost in anger. Can't believe I'd make this high school mistake. I've done my little corrections. wink

'Welcome! kiss
Re: What's With Nigerians And Borrowing Money? by ifyalways(f): 11:41am On Dec 19, 2013
You never knew Kulyie can write ? Efe abeg no make me laugh. She should be a writer real life cheesy.

I dey gbadun her stories most times.

@Topic, never lend what you can't afford to lose. I personally don't lend. Give/dash what you can afford and as your spirit leads. Shikena
Re: What's With Nigerians And Borrowing Money? by EfemenaXY: 11:47am On Dec 19, 2013
^^ Abi? smiley

1 Like

Re: What's With Nigerians And Borrowing Money? by Nobody: 7:31am On Dec 20, 2013
ifyalways: You never knew Kulyie can write ? Efe abeg no make me laugh. She should be a writer real life cheesy.

I dey gbadun her stories most times.

@Topic, never lend what you can't afford to lose. I personally don't lend. Give/dash what you can afford and as your spirit leads. Shikena
thank you o jare my sister cheesy
Re: What's With Nigerians And Borrowing Money? by Nobody: 7:34am On Dec 20, 2013
Efemena_xy:

Never knew you could write like this!

Nice story though. Did you ever get to ask her why she refused to pay you back and why the hostility? Did you also let her know that it's because of people like her, your faith in human nature Nigerians had received a serious knock on the head and you'll be sceptical to ever lend out because of that singular experience?
she claims * she doesnt have each time i ask her*

till she graduated,she didnt give me,moreover i just got tired of begging for my own money
Re: What's With Nigerians And Borrowing Money? by EfemenaXY: 7:42am On Dec 20, 2013
Nonsense!

You should have just stormed in there and seized something of hers that was valuable...her jewels, her electric stove, her CD player, whatever...and threatened to sell them if she didn't pay up.

Nigerians too dey like strong eye before they sit up and do the needful.

What arrant nonsense! Mtcheew!
Re: What's With Nigerians And Borrowing Money? by jaybee3(m): 7:51am On Dec 20, 2013
Lend what you can afford to give
Re: What's With Nigerians And Borrowing Money? by Nobody: 7:53am On Dec 20, 2013
Efemena_xy: Nonsense!

You should have just stormed in there and seized something of hers that was valuable...her jewels, her electric stove, her CD player, whatever...and threatened to sell them if she didn't pay up.

Nigerians too dey like strong eye before they sit up and do the needful.

What arrant nonsense! Mtcheew!
lmao,like i said,i was a jolly just come.i was not that hard then compared to now cheesy

if its now.everybody will know.i will disgrace her any and everywhere i jam her,i will literarilly bring down the hostel on her head.i wasnt that experienced then,thats why she could get away with something like that cheesy
Re: What's With Nigerians And Borrowing Money? by EfemenaXY: 7:56am On Dec 20, 2013
^^ I know you said so babes - still annoying jor.

Anyway, t'is all in the past now. Old stuff kiss kiss
Re: What's With Nigerians And Borrowing Money? by Nobody: 8:23am On Dec 20, 2013
Lol at sizing her stuff from Efe,

I actually lend one time to roommate, she never returned but bullying me that I was disturbing her, I don't know when to ask for something, etc. I no blame her Sha, na me take my hand give her and because she strong wll with big Yansh and muscle and with my smally then, fresh in the Uni. I told my bros, but anytime he comes around the girl is never to be found.

Till after 3 months, I was surprised when she returned the money to me after I have stopped asking. I collected o, only for her to come in the evening to ask for x3 of what I gave her earlier cos she saw I just returned from home with enough feeding money.

I told her point blank "i don't have, even if I have I won't ever give you, you can call your friends to beat me up sad"
She started explaining, talking rubbish, I just carry my money go hide.

Crazy people.
Re: What's With Nigerians And Borrowing Money? by Nobody: 8:47am On Dec 20, 2013
Efemena_xy: ^^ I know you said so babes - still annoying jor.

Anyway, t'is all in the past now. Old stuff kiss kiss
yeah cheesycheesy
Re: What's With Nigerians And Borrowing Money? by Nobody: 8:52am On Dec 20, 2013
Chillisauce: Lol at sizing her stuff from Efe,

I actually lend one time to roommate, she never returned but bullying me that I was disturbing her, I don't know when to ask for something, etc. I no blame her Sha, na me take my hand give her and because she strong wll with big Yansh and muscle and with my smally then, fresh in the Uni. I told my bros, but anytime he comes around the girl is never to be found.

Till after 3 months, I was surprised when she returned the money to me after I have stopped asking. I collected o, only for her to come in the evening to ask for x3 of what I gave her earlier cos she saw I just returned from home with enough feeding money.

I told her point blank "i don't have, even if I have I won't ever give you, you can call your friends to beat me up sad"
She started explaining, talking rubbish, I just carry my money go hide.

Crazy people.
lmao grin if that your babe try that one,i will lock her inside my room and call my friends to descend on her.you return money after 3 months and still have the nerve to ask for more grin

i swear some people no get conscience.jeez.she must have really seen you as a smallie,the way kike see me too finish grin

if she like make she get big nyash pass toolz,i go deflate am ni grin

by the time i iput teeth for her nyash ehen grin e go deflate like tyre ni cheesy
Re: What's With Nigerians And Borrowing Money? by Nobody: 8:56am On Dec 20, 2013
kulyie: lmao grin if that your babe try that one,i will lock her inside my room and call my friends to descend on her.you return money after 3 months and still have the nerve to ask for more grin

i swear some people no get conscience.jeez.she must have really seen you as a smallie,the way kike see me too finish grin

if she like make she get big nyash pass toolz,i go deflate am ni grin

by the time i iput teeth for her nyash ehen grin e go deflate like tyre ni cheesy

grin grin. I tell you, Yansh wey get muscle. Your teeth go finish on arrival.
grin
Re: What's With Nigerians And Borrowing Money? by Nobody: 9:10am On Dec 20, 2013
Chillisauce:

grin grin. I tell you, Yansh wey get muscle. Your teeth go finish on arrival.
grin
gringringrin haa,no try my teeth o,you no hear when 9ice sing say teeth sharp pass knife grin

if my teeth descend on that nyash ehen,the theing no go only deflate,the nyash go loose im streagth grin
Re: What's With Nigerians And Borrowing Money? by EfemenaXY: 9:12am On Dec 20, 2013
But seriously, I think those girls took advantage of you both simply because of your sizes.

At Uni, no time for drama. Whenever I return to school from home loaded, na to visit that useless ACB bank early morning, lectures or not, to deposit my money.

Besides, my room-mates and friends always respected themselves jare. I remember one time towards the end of term - my 21st birthday to be precise...I blew the whole lot on one crazy party. Men, the hostel grounds shook that night. Initially, it was a girl-girl thing as the boys were watching some kind football match. But the word spread very quickly and before you know it, ha! the real party mood started. Our room was so conjested... we had to serve food and drinks from a friend's room next door. Na so food and drinks flowed till the early hours.

Next day, even person I never take eye see dey haller my name Efe! Efe!! grin Anyway, to cut a long story short, I was so broke, couldn't even afford my T-fare back home that weekend so I borrowed from a friend. She was understanding and was like..."Efe, after that mad party, I'm not surprised!"...lovely girl she was jare...

Anyway sha, when I returned back a week or two later, she was the first person I met sharp-sharp to return her money and I really thanked her for saving my behind. cheesy So it's all about respect jor.
Re: What's With Nigerians And Borrowing Money? by Nobody: 9:37am On Dec 20, 2013
Efemena_xy: But seriously, I think those girls took advantage of you both simply because of your sizes.

At Uni, no time for drama. Whenever I return to school from home loaded, na to visit that useless ACB bank early morning, lectures or not, to deposit my money.

Besides, my room-mates and friends always respected themselves jare. I remember one time towards the end of term - my 21st birthday to be precise...I blew the whole lot on one crazy party. Men, the hostel grounds shook that night. Initially, it was a girl-girl thing as the boys were watching some kind football match. But the word spread very quickly and before you know it, ha! the real party mood started. Our room was so conjested... we had to serve food and drinks from a friend's room next door. Na so food and drinks flowed till the early hours.

Next day, even person I never take eye see dey haller my name Efe! Efe!! grin Anyway, to cut a long story short, I was so broke, couldn't even afford my T-fare back home that weekend so I borrowed from a friend. She was understanding and was like..."Efe, after that mad party, I'm not surprised!"...lovely girl she was jare...

Anyway sha, when I returned back a week or two later, she was the first person I met sharp-sharp to return her money and I really thanked her for saving my behind. cheesy So it's all about respect jor.
haaaaa efe,i aint smallish o cheesy

so anyway you used all your money to do party sotey you no get any money for t.fare?grin you be ijebu girl o cheesy na ijebus dey use all their money do party like that.kilode ke cheesy
Re: What's With Nigerians And Borrowing Money? by EfemenaXY: 9:43am On Dec 20, 2013
Na youthful exuberance cause am cheesy cheesy

You're only 21 once tongue cool
Re: What's With Nigerians And Borrowing Money? by Nobody: 9:53am On Dec 20, 2013
Efemena_xy: Na youthful exuberance cause am cheesy cheesy

You're only 21 once tongue cool
lol,true grin me sef carry am for head when i was 21 that time,like say na one special age cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

Man Buries Father With A 32 Million BMW In Anambra State (photo) / Married People Experience On The People They Married That Wasn't their choice / How I Met FFK'S Enstranged Wife In Court Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.