Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,159 members, 7,880,631 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 11:04 PM

Will You Give Up Your Child For Adoption? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Will You Give Up Your Child For Adoption? (2021 Views)

Baby Girl For Adoption / Thinking On Giving My Baby Up For Adoption. Does That Make Me A Terrible Mom? / ' I Sold My Child For N4M And I Want Him Back Now' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will You Give Up Your Child For Adoption? by Ndipe(m): 3:19am On Aug 01, 2008
How some women give up their child/children for adoption is not only courageous but very touching and heartbreaking. I have read of stories of teenagers who gave up their babies, immediately after delivery to an adoptive parent. And in some cases, the heartbreaking part is the loss of contact between the mother and child. I am quite fascinated with the story of adoption, the bond the child has with their adoptive parents and the relationship (if any contact is established) between the child and their biological mother.

I don't know, but for me, if I as a man were to do it, I am certain that it will haunt me for the rest of my life, it will be a grieving process for me, and as such, I don't see myself doing so. At the same time, I have a great deal of respect for mothers/parents who, because of poverty choose to give their child up for adoption to a rich caring couple. Their reason is to give the child a better life, as opposed to a life of poverty.

In one of the magazines, a story just surfaced that the father of Madonna's adopted son, David Banda just became a father again as his wife gave birth recently. He is hopeful of a reunion between his new born son and his biological son, now adopted by Madonna. If the adopted mother is the cruel type, she could veto such a reunion, but even if it occurs hopefully, and the kids grow up, how do you even explain the relationships to each other?

Now, which would you consider to be more touching, a poor woman who willingly gives up her child to be adopted by a rich caring couple, even if it means she wont have any contacts with him/her for the rest of her life, or a woman (like in Africa) who chooses a different route and keeps her child through thick and thin, because she does not to part with him/her.
Re: Will You Give Up Your Child For Adoption? by Ndipe(m): 3:29am On Aug 01, 2008
Re: Will You Give Up Your Child For Adoption? by motunrayo4(f): 3:29am On Aug 01, 2008
Well me Im a firmly against abortion so if I were a (god forbid god forbid) victim of rape I would definately put the baby up for adoption RIGHT AFTER delivery.  So I wouldnt have any more emotional connection with it.

I too have much respect for young girls/women who give thier children up for adoption.  I'll find it more touching if a woman was to give her child to a rich family.  Its less selfish.  . . . .
Re: Will You Give Up Your Child For Adoption? by KarmaMod(f): 3:33am On Aug 01, 2008
Ndipe:

Now, which would you consider to be more touching, a poor woman who willingly gives up her child to be adopted by a rich caring couple, even if it means she wont have any contacts with him/her for the rest of her life, or a woman (like in Africa) who chooses a different route and keeps her child through thick and thin, because she does not to part with him/her.

Same difference. Same respect
Re: Will You Give Up Your Child For Adoption? by bigfather(m): 7:22am On Aug 01, 2008
For where ?! When i still dey alive ! NO WAY .
Re: Will You Give Up Your Child For Adoption? by SeanT21(f): 8:33am On Aug 01, 2008
Heel NO!! I do not care If I was raped or not. It is not the childs fault.

I will keep my Child.
Re: Will You Give Up Your Child For Adoption? by chiogo(f): 2:22pm On Aug 01, 2008
I totally agree with SeanT21.

@poster, I find it both touching- a woman who gives up her child for adoption by a rich family due to poverty and a poor woman who decided to keep her child through thick and thin. It takes courage to do both.

However, what I don't respect is when a woman gives away her child just because she feels she's too young to be burdened with taking care of a child(eg. In a case of teen pregnancy). I have no respect for such people. If they felt they were too young, why in the world did they have sex??

As for me, I can't give my child away for adoption because of one reason - if I later decide to have children and care for them. The other kid I gave away would then be separated from his/her siblings. I would forever feel guilty not knowing where the other child is.
Re: Will You Give Up Your Child For Adoption? by ifyalways(f): 2:48pm On Aug 01, 2008
For no reasons,No i cant give out my child for adoption,i wud rather not have the child.
Re: Will You Give Up Your Child For Adoption? by Ndipe(m): 12:50am On Aug 03, 2008
Isnt it an irony that in America, the land of opportunities, some women choose to give up their child/children for adoption, while in Nigeria as a whole, parents would choose to keep the child through thick and thin (at least in the infancy stage)
Re: Will You Give Up Your Child For Adoption? by Okijajuju1(m): 12:56am On Aug 03, 2008
I am very sure I would have aborted the kid way before it will be born. But just Incase it survives the abortion, I wont hesitate to put it up fir adoption.
I will not bring any child into this world to suffer.
Either I put his/her in a good foster home or send the kid to my parents.
Re: Will You Give Up Your Child For Adoption? by Viante(f): 1:13am On Aug 03, 2008
No way.

i watched a movie about this yesterday.

Why should i mess up an innocent person.
Re: Will You Give Up Your Child For Adoption? by Nobody: 9:07am On Aug 03, 2008
a big no
Re: Will You Give Up Your Child For Adoption? by coolier(f): 2:40pm On Aug 03, 2008
With me the question would never arise. I would never carry an unwanted baby whether raped or otherwise. I am on contraceptives and choose the right and convenient time to stop and raise my babies.

(1) (Reply)

Is This Behavior Appropriate To Teach Children?; Please vote / 9 Year Old Attacks Toddler In Daycare, Mothers Beware! / When Was The Last Time You Cried

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.