Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,823 members, 7,872,760 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 09:17 PM

FIFA World Cup Or UEFA Champions League: Which Is Bigger and Better? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / FIFA World Cup Or UEFA Champions League: Which Is Bigger and Better? (8844 Views)

Champions league and Europa league, which is more difficult? / World Cup Or UEFA Champions League: Which Is More Important? / Which One Is Better? The World Cup Or The Euros (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

FIFA World Cup Or UEFA Champions League: Which Is Bigger and Better? by Jakeattah(m): 7:51am On Dec 20, 2013
As the 2014 world cup draws closer, anticipation is high for what is termed the biggest soccer competition in the world.
But for me, I no too send. To be sincere I am more eager to watch the mouthwatering champions league knockout fixtures. So for me, because of d fixture complexity, duration nd number of elite clubs in the champions league, I would say it is bigger.

What do y'all think?
Re: FIFA World Cup Or UEFA Champions League: Which Is Bigger and Better? by omar22(m): 8:24am On Dec 20, 2013
The Champions League all day Long

More Money
More Viewers
Better players

1 Like

Re: FIFA World Cup Or UEFA Champions League: Which Is Bigger and Better? by Krasid(m): 9:31am On Dec 20, 2013
The UEFA Champions league is the biggest football event after the FIFA World cup.I personally prefer the UCL, but the world cup is bigger and better.
Re: FIFA World Cup Or UEFA Champions League: Which Is Bigger and Better? by marutimon: 9:48am On Dec 20, 2013
World Cup.
UEFA Champions League is like a filler in between, whilst waiting for the World Cup.
I have no emotional attachment to the Champions League, at best to specific players and their success.
Re: FIFA World Cup Or UEFA Champions League: Which Is Bigger and Better? by ednut1(m): 9:55am On Dec 20, 2013
since d 21st century ucl abeg. world cup don dry

1 Like

Re: FIFA World Cup Or UEFA Champions League: Which Is Bigger and Better? by Nobody: 10:57am On Dec 20, 2013
The world cup is the biggest footballing event.
Re: FIFA World Cup Or UEFA Champions League: Which Is Bigger and Better? by Jakeattah(m): 11:54am On Dec 20, 2013
marutimon: World Cup.
UEFA Champions League is like a filler in between, whilst waiting for the World Cup.
I have no emotional attachment to the Champions League, at best to specific players and their success.
That's another problem, one has to wait four years for it
Re: FIFA World Cup Or UEFA Champions League: Which Is Bigger and Better? by safarigirl(f): 11:56am On Dec 20, 2013
I've NEVER watched a Champions League game, I just read the news on it, but if I miss Nigeria's World Cup match, I'll be vexed. UCL can NEVER be bigger than the World Cup, 70% of players you see at UCL will be at the World Cup; CR7, Messi, Ribery, Sneijder, Rooney, Nani, Cavani, Gotze, Ozil, Suarez, Neymar, David Luiz, Falcao, Toure, Drogba, Eto'o, Mikel. So wetin you dey find again? If your country has big prospects at the WC like Brazil, Spain, Uruguay, Germany, Argentina etc you'll love the WC more than UCL, but as una no get wetin una wan look forward to.....

1 Like

Re: FIFA World Cup Or UEFA Champions League: Which Is Bigger and Better? by CLT123(m): 12:53pm On Dec 20, 2013
World cup by far.
Re: FIFA World Cup Or UEFA Champions League: Which Is Bigger and Better? by Jakeattah(m): 2:03pm On Dec 20, 2013
safarigirl: I've NEVER watched a Champions League game, I just read the news on it, but if I miss Nigeria's World Cup match, I'll be vexed. UCL can NEVER be bigger than the World Cup, 70% of players you see at UCL will be at the World Cup; CR7, Messi, Ribery, Sneijder, Rooney, Nani, Cavani, Gotze, Ozil, Suarez, Neymar, David Luiz, Falcao, Toure, Drogba, Eto'o, Mikel. So wetin you dey find again? If your country has big prospects at the WC like Brazil, Spain, Uruguay, Germany, Argentina etc you'll love the WC more than UCL, but as una no get wetin una wan look forward to.....
1. Only 70% of the big stars will be at the world cup, so I will not be watchin stars like Ibrahimovic, bale nd Ramsey at the world cup, which is not cool
2. Am a big fan of soccer, and once in four years to experience a big tournament and watch these stars battle against eachother isn't good enough. But the champions league solves these issues for me.

PS: I suggest u watch the next round of champions league matches, u'll be HOOKED
Re: FIFA World Cup Or UEFA Champions League: Which Is Bigger and Better? by striker9(m): 2:19pm On Dec 20, 2013
World cup by far,show case of different nations from all the continents.World cup as got more viewers,champions league is yearly with same players.Fours years of world cup brings about different players and different teams.

4 Likes

Re: FIFA World Cup Or UEFA Champions League: Which Is Bigger and Better? by safarigirl(f): 4:46pm On Dec 20, 2013
Jakeattah:
1. Only 70% of the big stars will be at the world cup, so I will not be watchin stars like Ibrahimovic, bale nd Ramsey at the world cup, which is not cool
2. Am a big fan of soccer, and once in four years to experience a big tournament and watch these stars battle against eachother isn't good enough. But the champions league solves these issues for me.

PS: I suggest u watch the next round of champions league matches, u'll be HOOKED
personally, I couldn't care less about Bale, Ramsey or Ibrahimovic, I'm okay with 70%. There are league games in each country to keep you busy, not every star plays in the UCL either. Waiting four years makes the WC sweeter

3 Likes

Re: FIFA World Cup Or UEFA Champions League: Which Is Bigger and Better? by Jakeattah(m): 5:41pm On Dec 20, 2013
safarigirl: personally, I couldn't care less about Bale, Ramsey or Ibrahimovic, I'm okay with 70%. There are league games in each country to keep you busy, not every star plays in the UCL either. Waiting four years makes the WC sweeter

I rest my case, seems ur good at soccer arguements, but mind you I still believe the UCL is better than the world cup
Re: FIFA World Cup Or UEFA Champions League: Which Is Bigger and Better? by naijanoni(m): 5:50pm On Dec 20, 2013
safarigirl: personally, I couldn't care less about Bale, Ramsey or Ibrahimovic, I'm okay with 70%. There are league games in each country to keep you busy, not every star plays in the UCL either. Waiting four years makes the WC sweeter
So on point sis.That d champions league is played every year makes it boring.
When u are too used to something,that thing would become boring,but when u are made to miss something for long,u'll enjoy that thing when it comes.That's how almost everything in life is.From Music to patners(boyfriends,girl friends,wives) e.t.c.
The world cup being every 4 years makes it sweeter.You'll miss it,but when it comes you'll enjoy it more than something u dont miss and see every year(The UCL)
Why do you think every footballer badly wants to go to the world cup ??.You'll see players saying how they'll do anything to play in d world cup.Its because it is a once-in-a-while something.But you'll hardly see any player that'll say he'll do anything to play in d UCL.

1 Like

Re: FIFA World Cup Or UEFA Champions League: Which Is Bigger and Better? by marutimon: 6:35pm On Dec 20, 2013
The champions league has also increasingly been about financial power. Who has more money can win. That makes the stories behind the games pretty weak and repetitive.
Re: FIFA World Cup Or UEFA Champions League: Which Is Bigger and Better? by zynzyn(m): 8:02pm On Dec 20, 2013
The Champions League appears to be becoming more important than the World Cup, which should not be.

That is the reason why people now say Messi is better than Pele and Maradona.

Realistically, Messi may never win 1 world cup, partly because he doesn't think he needs to, unlike the former legends!
Re: FIFA World Cup Or UEFA Champions League: Which Is Bigger and Better? by omar22(m): 9:06pm On Dec 20, 2013
In the last 30years only the 1986 and 1998 world cup final was exciting, the rest were a snooze-fest its like watching paint dry most especially the 1994 final or 2006 or 2010

1 Like

Re: FIFA World Cup Or UEFA Champions League: Which Is Bigger and Better? by Segadem(m): 8:13am On Dec 21, 2013
Chei see what Jose Mouriho has caused.
Re: FIFA World Cup Or UEFA Champions League: Which Is Bigger and Better? by safarigirl(f): 8:17am On Dec 21, 2013
omar22: In the last 30years only the 1986 and 1998 world cup final was exciting, the rest were a snooze-fest its like watching paint dry most especially the 1994 final or 2006 or 2010
you don tey, so it may be a snoozefest to you, allow the rest of us who haven't seen that many World Cups to decide what's a snoozefest, opinion is relative, I also think many Champions League games snoozefests, but that's just me and whoever else shares my opinion. The Ghana vs. Uruguay Q/finals match was far from a snoozefest and I found the finals good, it just lacked tension until extra time.
Re: FIFA World Cup Or UEFA Champions League: Which Is Bigger and Better? by Obrafour(m): 8:33am On Dec 21, 2013
safarigirl: you don tey, so it may be a snoozefest to you, allow the rest of us who haven't seen that many World Cups to decide what's a snoozefest, opinion is relative, I also think many Champions League games snoozefests, but that's just me and whoever else shares my opinion. The Ghana vs. Uruguay Q/finals match was far from a snoozefest and I found the finals good, it just lacked tension until extra time.
Out of curiosity, which team were you supporting?
Re: FIFA World Cup Or UEFA Champions League: Which Is Bigger and Better? by Krasid(m): 10:30am On Dec 21, 2013
zynzyn: The Champions League appears to be becoming more important than the World Cup, which should not be.

That is the reason why people now say Messi is better than Pele and Maradona.

Realistically, Messi may never win 1 world cup, partly because he doesn't think he needs to, unlike the former legends!
The champions league has never been, is not, and will never be more important than the World cup.And Messi has not won the World cup not because he dosen't feel he needs to, but because the world cup is more difficult to win.This is due to the fact that players on the National team rarely play with each other unlike in their clubs where they play every week and understand each other.And that is the reason why despite winning 4 ballon d'ors(the highest in history) and breaking numerous records, people are still having doubts about messi being the best player in the history of football because he has not won even one world cup.
Re: FIFA World Cup Or UEFA Champions League: Which Is Bigger and Better? by safarigirl(f): 11:13am On Dec 21, 2013
I began watching late into the 2nd half and if you must know, I put my money on Uruguay to win mostly because I figured luck can only take you so far, yours expired against Uruguay
Obrafour: Out of curiosity, which team were you supporting?
Re: FIFA World Cup Or UEFA Champions League: Which Is Bigger and Better? by Obrafour(m): 11:34am On Dec 21, 2013
safarigirl:
you don tey, so it may be
a snoozefest to you, allow the rest of
us who haven't seen that many
World Cups to decide what's a
snoozefest, opinion is relative, I also
think many Champions League
games snoozefests, but that's just
me and whoever else shares my
opinion. The Ghana vs. Uruguay
Q/finals match was far from a
snoozefest
and I found the finals
good, it just lacked tension until
extra time.

safarigirl: I began watching late into the 2nd half and if you must know, I put my money on Uruguay to win mostly because I figured luck can only take you so far, yours expired against Uruguay

How do you reconcile these ^^^ two posts? It sounds kinda contradictory.
Re: FIFA World Cup Or UEFA Champions League: Which Is Bigger and Better? by Nobody: 11:41am On Dec 21, 2013
Seriously,
The world cup is bigger than the champions league.

But I prefer the champions league, why?
1) It has more suspense than d world cup.
2) It covers a wider range of players. I.e more players are discovered and others are
3) It is more captivating in terrms of advertising and sponsorship.
4) It has more audience per match than world cup, where most pple watch only d tough matches.
5) Any team can win, as in. It is less pridictable. Unlike world cup where 4m the start, u can predict who will win.
6) It makes ur day per year, since its every year and not every 4 yrs like the world cup.
7) It feature the best talents in the game of football worldwide, unlike world cup. E.g I love Ibraahamovic, but I won't be able to see his bes@ the WC.

UCL all d way cheesy

1 Like

Re: FIFA World Cup Or UEFA Champions League: Which Is Bigger and Better? by Krasid(m): 11:58am On Dec 21, 2013
maishot: Seriously,

2) It covers a wider range of players. I.e more players are discovered and others are
4) It has more audience per match than world cup, where most pple watch only d tough matches.
5) Any team can win, as in. It is less pridictable. Unlike world cup where 4m the start, u can predict who will win.
6) It makes ur day per year, since its every year and not every 4 yrs like the world cup.
7) It feature the best talents in the game of football worldwide, unlike world cup. E.g I love Ibraahamovic, but I won't be able to see his bes@ the WC.

UCL all d way cheesy
Big lie.It is the big teams who always win just like the world cup.The world cup has seen different winners in its last four editions.So that your point is invalid.
Re: FIFA World Cup Or UEFA Champions League: Which Is Bigger and Better? by safarigirl(f): 12:06pm On Dec 21, 2013
maishot: Seriously,

UCL all d way cheesy
favorites to win UCL: Bayern Munich, Real Madrid, Barcelona. My dear every competition is fairly predictable. Do you beleive Zenit St. Petersburg can win Borussia Dortmund? Or Schalke win Madrid? With the WC just like UCL, there are open and shut matches, then there are equals. Once in a while there's that surprise eg Senegal reaching Q/finals at their debut and winning some big guns, same as UCL. There are discoveries made at the WC too, not everyone plays in Europe or UCL. Can you name 3 Iranian players? Or 3 Ecuadorian players? Abeg UCL can never match the World Cup's clout
Re: FIFA World Cup Or UEFA Champions League: Which Is Bigger and Better? by Jiggaman101: 1:27am On Dec 22, 2013

There is no question about it world is the best. There is nothing better than hearing your national anthem on tv and the mention of your country. World Cup is the most watch event in the world.
Re: FIFA World Cup Or UEFA Champions League: Which Is Bigger and Better? by Jiggaman101: 1:29am On Dec 22, 2013
safarigirl: I began watching late into the 2nd half and if you must know, I put my money on Uruguay to win mostly because I figured luck can only take you so far, yours expired against Uruguay

Ghana was the better team in that game. There was nothing lucky about that Ghana team.
Re: FIFA World Cup Or UEFA Champions League: Which Is Bigger and Better? by safarigirl(f): 2:01am On Dec 22, 2013
Jigga_man101:

Ghana was the better team in that game. There was nothing lucky about that Ghana team.
they might have been the better team in that match, but they kicked out teams that were better than them but got unlucky. Like I said, Ghana's luck ran out.
Re: FIFA World Cup Or UEFA Champions League: Which Is Bigger and Better? by Jiggaman101: 3:04am On Dec 22, 2013
safarigirl: they might have been the better team in that match, but they kicked out teams that were better than them but got unlucky. Like I said, Ghana's luck ran out.

What team do u think was better than Ghana

1. Germany which we lost
2. Serbia
3. Australia
4. USA
5. Uruguay

Apart from Germany, what team in there can u really say was better than Ghana.
Re: FIFA World Cup Or UEFA Champions League: Which Is Bigger and Better? by safarigirl(f): 7:19am On Dec 22, 2013
Jigga_man101:

1. Germany which we lost
2. Serbia
3. Australia
4. USA
5. Uruguay

I never said they were better, I said they played better eg USA. I dunno bout Serbia and the Aussies but I thought USA played better than you guys. I know you guys are still pained by that loss, there's no need to drag us back. You lost fair and square, even the Suarez' handball earned you a penalty, but Ghanaians conveniently skip the part where Gyan wasted it and make everything sound like an injustice was done. You're not the first to have a painful exit, shiiit happens, get over it.
Re: FIFA World Cup Or UEFA Champions League: Which Is Bigger and Better? by naijanoni(m): 8:03am On Dec 22, 2013
Jigga_man101:

1. Germany which we lost
2. Serbia
3. Australia
4. USA
5. Uruguay

Luck took u out of that group.
Penalties and sending off of opponents players is what helped ghana.
Serbia,u couldnt score until a serbian player was sent-off and ghana was awarded a penalty.
Austrailia,you would have lost(1-0) if an austrailian player wasnt sent off and u weren't awarded a penalty.
Austrailia were clearly a better team than ghana in that group.
They out-played ghana.If not for that penalty and them reduced to 10 men,they would have won.
Austrailia and ghana were even tied with 4 points.Ghana only slightly qualified by goal-difference.
Imagine ghana didnt score any goal from open play in d group stage.If its not luck that got u out of d group-stage,then what is it ?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bet9ja Booking For Today / Wrestlemania XXVIII: John Cena Vs The Rock (rock Won) / Al-nassr Was Top Of The Table Before C. Ronaldo Joined, Now See Where They Are

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.