Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,393 members, 7,897,759 topics. Date: Monday, 22 July 2024 at 07:15 PM

Defection: We Can’t Declare Reps Seats Vacant, INEC Tells PDP - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Defection: We Can’t Declare Reps Seats Vacant, INEC Tells PDP (17024 Views)

APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats / Buhari’s Certificate: Go To court, INEC Tells PDP / PDP Move To Declare Defecting Reps’ Seats Vacant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Defection: We Can’t Declare Reps Seats Vacant, INEC Tells PDP by anonimi: 2:43pm On Dec 22, 2013
ndu_chucks:

I agree with you here, but I believe that many Nigerian judges do their duties with great consideration to the political implication of their judgements. This is quite unfortunate but largely true. In addition to this sadly, these judges can be bribed.

It is good to note what YOUR opinion is based on.
Hopefully our judges at the THREE possible levels- High, Appeal & Supreme- will NOT all express their opinion on similar basis in order to strengthen OUR growing democracy and sense of law & order ushered in by Jonathan's administration despite temptation to wield the big stick as others before him are used to doing.
Such respect for law & order is what makes oyinbo countries so attractive to our fellow compatriots who in their millions have abandoned our country to be socio-economic EXILES sweating away to build other people's nations with little or no comparative recognition from their hosts while Nigeria continues to ROT away.
Re: Defection: We Can’t Declare Reps Seats Vacant, INEC Tells PDP by Ngwakwe: 2:43pm On Dec 22, 2013
Thanks for the information. However, it's foolish for any PDP Stewart to consider sending such letter to INEC.

PDP should approach the court to seek legal interpretation of the Electoral Act as amended.

Nothing more or less.

ndu_chucks:

I suspect that INEC is either yet to receive the letter from PDP, or GEJ, Tukur, and his team have resorted to lying in addition to being incompetent and foolish.

Let me post the following since you appear to be ignorant of what your party leaders are doing on your belalf:

Hope you still not confused after reading the above.
Re: Defection: We Can’t Declare Reps Seats Vacant, INEC Tells PDP by Nobody: 2:45pm On Dec 22, 2013
ndu_chucks:

I agree with you here, but I believe that many Nigerian judges do their duties with great consideration to the political implication of their judgements. This is quite unfortunate but largely true. In addition to this sadly, these judges can be bribed.

You forget that we have a situation where the truth and correct interpretation of the law is what favours a President who controls all the security forces and the country's revenue!

So I really have no idea why it will be difficult for any judge to interprete the law correctly in this circumstance.

People will realise in 2014/2015 that while the president may appear weak, he is still the President and weilds a very big stick.
Re: Defection: We Can’t Declare Reps Seats Vacant, INEC Tells PDP by nduchucks: 2:51pm On Dec 22, 2013
Ngwakwe: Thanks for the information. However, it's foolish for any PDP Stewart to consider sending such letter to INEC.

PDP should approach the court to seek legal interpretation of the Electoral Act as amended.

Nothing more or less.

I agree with you.

GEJ is surrounded by fools and incompetent advisers who are ruining him.

mikeansy:

You forget that we have a situation where the truth and correct interpretation of the law is what favours a President who controls all the security forces and the country's revenue!

So I really have no idea why it will be difficult for any judge to interprete the law correctly in this circumstance.

People will realise in 2014/2015 that while the president may appear weak, he is still the President and weilds a very big stick.

I disagree with you that the law is on the President's side here. The constitution allows lawmakers to switch to another party if their is division within the lawmakers' party. We'll have to wait for the supreme court to make a ruling on this. Unfortunately, by the time the case gets to the supreme court, the irrepairable damage would have been done
Re: Defection: We Can’t Declare Reps Seats Vacant, INEC Tells PDP by ImperialYoruba: 2:53pm On Dec 22, 2013
ndu_chucks:

Those on the fence are much more than emboldened, they are ready to switch as well. Peole like OBJ and Atiku who are experts at these kinds of fights have been alienated by GEJ. There is still some hope - he should radically shake-up his cabinet, replaces Tukur, Okupe, and Abati, and embrace people who can help him make the 2015 fight a real fight, rather than a route.

Ostracising Obj in PDP is like Obama snubbing Clinton out of DNC. OBJ is a fighter, a militant in every sense, and only knows how to be a godfather, trying to woo him out of PDP is a waste of effort. He is the one that can return the defectors, not Jonathan or Tukur or a court.

4 Likes

Re: Defection: We Can’t Declare Reps Seats Vacant, INEC Tells PDP by nduchucks: 2:54pm On Dec 22, 2013
anonimi:

It is good to note what YOUR opinion is based on.
Hopefully our judges at the THREE possible levels- High, Appeal & Supreme- will NOT all express their opinion on similar basis in order to strengthen OUR growing democracy and sense of law & order ushered in by Jonathan's administration despite temptation to wield the big stick as others before him are used to doing.
Such respect for law & order is what makes oyinbo countries so attractive to our fellow compatriots who in their millions have abandoned our country to be socio-economic EXILES sweating away to build other people's nations with little or no comparative recognition from their hosts while Nigeria continues to ROT away.

Great points overall. But I laugh in Igbo at your statement that "Jonathan's administration ushered in a sense of law & order" cheesy
Re: Defection: We Can’t Declare Reps Seats Vacant, INEC Tells PDP by Ngwakwe: 2:56pm On Dec 22, 2013
From the look of things, I foresee the status-quo being maintained till June 2015, when the President will dissolve the House.

PDP will go to court seeking to restrain any leadership change in the House of Representatives pending the determination of the legal interpretation of the Electoral Law as amended.

Moreover, this case will drag on still probably 2015 when the resolution (legal interpretation) wouldn't have any effect in this legislative calendar hence we are still back to square one equals one.

3 Likes

Re: Defection: We Can’t Declare Reps Seats Vacant, INEC Tells PDP by victorD3: 2:57pm On Dec 22, 2013
The court alone reserves the power to declear the seats vacant
Re: Defection: We Can’t Declare Reps Seats Vacant, INEC Tells PDP by OrlandoOwoh(m): 2:59pm On Dec 22, 2013
PDP has always denied it is having a problem, calling it a family issue. Today, I can only say RIP.
Re: Defection: We Can’t Declare Reps Seats Vacant, INEC Tells PDP by Jenkizo: 2:59pm On Dec 22, 2013
PDP should know by now that Nigerians are wiser than before politically. Democracy is evolving. OBJ was lucky he ran away with same kind of treachery and misuse of Federal institutions to rubbish his enemies. Jonathan has being caught up doing worst. Mr. Fix it cannot salvage this situation again. His tactis are outdated. Come to think of it, where were PDP's when Isa Yeguda, Ikedi Ohakim, T.A Orji, Dankingari, Wamako and Shinkafi all defected to PDP? PDP are just being defeated in their own game. No matter who brings the change, we are going to embrace it vote PDP out of Power come 2015. Rigging cannot help Jonathan and PDP, it will be a game of number. I also believe by now Jesus of Okrika should learn how to respect elected Governors both of PDP and APC and forget the idea of installing Governors in other states. She should not use Anambra election to assume so much power to herself. The Igbos are docile politically but that cannot be said of other ethnic groups in Nigeria. PDP should not even contest 2015 presidential election because they have lost already.

8 Likes

Re: Defection: We Can’t Declare Reps Seats Vacant, INEC Tells PDP by Nobody: 3:01pm On Dec 22, 2013
Ngwakwe: From the look of things, I foresee the status-quo being maintained till April 2015, when the President will dissolve the House.

PDP will go to court seeking to restrain any leadership change in the House of Representatives pending the determination of the legal interpretation of the Electoral Law as amended.

The case will drag on still probably 2015 when the resolution (legal interpretation) wouldn't have any effect in this legislative calendar hence we are still back to square one equals one.

I dont think the President can dissolve NASS

I think that is only applicable in parliamentary democracy. I am not sure though

But what I do know is at some point Tambuwal will either act according to the constitution or step down as speaker so that the current minority leader will take over as speaker pending when the courts decide
Re: Defection: We Can’t Declare Reps Seats Vacant, INEC Tells PDP by Nobody: 3:03pm On Dec 22, 2013
Jenkizo: PDP should know by now that Nigerians are wiser than before politically. Democracy is evolving. OBJ was lucky he ran away with same kind of treachery and misuse of Federal institutions to rubbish his enemies. Jonathan has being caught up doing worst. Mr. Fix it cannot salvage this situation again. His tactis are outdated. Come to think of it, where were PDP's when Isa Yeguda, Ikedi Ohakim, T.A Orji, Dankingari, Wamako and Shinkafi all defected to PDP? PDP are just being defeated in their own game. No matter who brings the change, we are going to embrace it vote PDP out of Power come 2015. Rigging cannot help Jonathan and PDP, it will be a game of number. I also believe by now Jesus of Okrika should learn how to respect elected Governors both of PDP and APC and forget the idea of installing Governors in other states. She should not use Anambra election to assume so much power to herself. The Igbos are docile politically but that cannot be said of other ethnic groups in Nigeria. PDP should not even contest 2015 presidential election because they have lost already.

The problem is the way things are going, you may vote PDP out on paper but vote them in, in person!
Re: Defection: We Can’t Declare Reps Seats Vacant, INEC Tells PDP by cashkid: 3:15pm On Dec 22, 2013
drnoel:
ma broda do u mind people here that don´t read in between the lines. The constitution states it very clear that those sits are forfeit. No wonder GEJ is not even bordering himself.
i guess its u that fails to read btw the line or let me say u are talking witin the context of wat u knw cos these people are smarter than pdp and his cohorts by first creating an impression earlier dat there is divisn in the party or what did they have in mind by forming new pdp? eventhough court did nt recognise anytin new pdp but i guess court did nt say there was ntin like faction and wat did they do? they dumped the name new pdp and nw joined apc! so bro, these pple plan ahead of any step they take, they have great and smart planners and masterminds around them and that is where jonathan is found wanting! anyways, finger crossed!

1 Like

Re: Defection: We Can’t Declare Reps Seats Vacant, INEC Tells PDP by Ngwakwe: 3:17pm On Dec 22, 2013
mikeansy:

I dont think the President can dissolve NASS

I made a mistake of stating April 2015 instead of June 2015 to conform with the constitution.

64. (1) The Senate and the House of
Representatives shall each stand dissolved
at the expiration of a period of four years
commencing from the date of the first
sitting of the House.

(3) Subject to the provisions of this Constitution, the person elected as the President shall have power to issue a proclamation for the holding of the first session of the National Assembly immediately after his being sworn in, or for its dissolution as provided in this section.
Re: Defection: We Can’t Declare Reps Seats Vacant, INEC Tells PDP by linearity: 3:17pm On Dec 22, 2013
ndu_chucks:

Suppose the court turns the PDP down, as it should?

I don't believe there exists any judge in Nigeria who will make a ruling which could destabilize the country, when he can let the status quo be, and support his judgement by constitutional provisions. If there is a division within a party, these lawmakers can switch without violating any provision of the constitution. It is not difficult to see the obvious division within the PDP.

True talk, the very fact that 37 legistilators can switch from one party to another is an obvious sign of faction and division within the party and PDP will lost if they go to court.

If it were one or two people that switched, they would had have a case.

1 Like

Re: Defection: We Can’t Declare Reps Seats Vacant, INEC Tells PDP by klas(m): 3:18pm On Dec 22, 2013
anonimi:

Unfortunately the law does not work that way.
You can read up about how Amaechi became governor of Rivers state without standing for election in 2007.
[b][/b]

mikeansy:

Not always. The same judiciary ruled against Obj in favour of Atiku when Atiku defected to ACN as a sitting vice- president.

I think pdp played into the hands of the defectors. The whole idea of the charade called the New-pdp was to create the impression that the pdp was factionalized thus providing the legal basis for the legislators to defect without repercussion.

Pdp should have wielded the big stick long ago e.g it could have embarked on re-registration of members then. Anybody that failed to register ceased to be member and cannot claim factionalisation.

6 Likes

Re: Defection: We Can’t Declare Reps Seats Vacant, INEC Tells PDP by chi4ik(m): 3:24pm On Dec 22, 2013
ndu_chucks: The earlier GEJ realizes that he cannot be saved by Tukur, Asari-Dokubo, or any of his 'trusted' advisers including Okupe and Abati, the better for him. His Party is crumbling right in front of his eyes, while he keeps mum, hoping for a miracle from the likes of Adeboye, Oritsejafor, and TB Joshua instead of jumping in the fight and fighting like a man.

Only 9 more defectors to APC are needed before the house is lost to APC. If he is wise he'd start spending some of the billions they've stashed away for 2015 for PR and other 'encouragements' of PDP members who are currently on the fence or he'll find out that he may not even have the opportunity to contest in 2015. The President is proving to be a very ineffective and weak tactician and loser.

If this man cannot lead effectively in fighting Boko Haram, in keeping his PDP intact, in taking decisive steps to curb blatant theft and corruption within his cabinet members, why the hell can't he just resign? We Nigerians most definitely deserve much better than this. What a shame!!!
it's not all about defecting to APC but can APC win our support? Beside did GEJ tell U he has problem? Mtchwwww
Re: Defection: We Can’t Declare Reps Seats Vacant, INEC Tells PDP by Ngwakwe: 3:24pm On Dec 22, 2013
Until the Electoral Law as amended is interpreted by the Supreme Court the validity of decamping to APC by PDP legislators while still retaining their seats is null and void.

mikeansy:
But what I do know is at some point Tambuwal will either act according to the constitution or step down as speaker so that the current minority leader will take over as speaker pending when the courts decide
Re: Defection: We Can’t Declare Reps Seats Vacant, INEC Tells PDP by Pukkah: 3:26pm On Dec 22, 2013
ndu_chucks:

I agree with you.

GEJ is surrounded by fools and incompetent advisers who are ruining him.

We sounded a note of warning to them then. Jonathan has sort of united all the cunning, savvy and clever politicians that are used to dog fights and being in the trenches. A good example is how APC and PDM were registered.

Those guys deliberately factionalized PDP because they knew the people decamping now would not be able to do so legally without a faction in PDP.

If the 'unsual' boldness of Amaechi was not enough to awaken the President, the walk-out of Atiku and the G7 Governors from the convention should have woken him up.

President Jonathan inherited PDP at the height of its power. Under his 'astute' leadership, in what position is PDP now?

If PDP were a publicly quoted company, the shareholders of the party would have long fired both Jonathan and Tukur for letting competition (APC) catch up and even attempt to overrun them.

5 Likes

Re: Defection: We Can’t Declare Reps Seats Vacant, INEC Tells PDP by Pukkah: 3:31pm On Dec 22, 2013
Ngwakwe: Until the Electoral Law as amended is interpreted by the Supreme Court the validity of decamping to APC by PDP legislators and still retaining their seats is null and void.

The legality of defection of politicians should ordinarily not be the concern of the Jonathan camp.

The concern should be where the hearts of the politicians are. Are they really with Jonathan or they've moved on - whether or not they defect?

Suppose it is illegal to defect to another party, would it make the affected politicians compulsorily work for Jonathan or be loyal to him?

A politician can be a member of PDP and still work against PDP.

1 Like

Re: Defection: We Can’t Declare Reps Seats Vacant, INEC Tells PDP by Ngwakwe: 3:33pm On Dec 22, 2013
Only court can make the judgement whether PDP is presently factionalized or not.

We await their first major test as Nigeria Democracy takes a new turn.

Pukkah:

Those guys deliberately factionalized PDP because they knew the people decamping now would not be able to do so legally without a faction in PDP.
Re: Defection: We Can’t Declare Reps Seats Vacant, INEC Tells PDP by Nobody: 3:35pm On Dec 22, 2013
Pukkah:
President Jonathan inherited PDP at the height of its power. Under his 'astute' leadership, in what position is PDP now?

If PDP were a publicly quoted company, the shareholders of the party would have long fired both Jonathan and Tukur for letting competition (APC) catch up and even attempt to overrun them.

For proof of the inordinate power once wielded by the PDP, we need look no further than Jonathan's abstention for the series of Presidential debates.

Like the peacock which refused to alter its dignified manner of walking just because the forest was on fire, the arrogance of yesteryears has now runs its course...

1 Like

Re: Defection: We Can’t Declare Reps Seats Vacant, INEC Tells PDP by Nobody: 3:36pm On Dec 22, 2013
Pukkah:

We sounded a note of warning to them then. Jonathan has sort of united all the cunning, savvy and clever politicians that are used to dog fights and being in the trenches. A good example is how APC and PDM were registered.

If the 'unsual' boldeness of Amaeci was not enough to awaken the President, the walk-out of Atiku and the G7 Governors from the convention should have woken him up.

The current scenario where 37 lawmakers move to APC is not covered by the spirit of that law. These people have officially changed parties and are not covered by that law.

The intention of that law was, when Amaechi was still in PDP and had loyalists. if lets say there is a parallel PDP convention and dispute on what the real PDP is then the clause about factions covers you while that scenario is being resolved.

But what we have here is a group of people who were once factional members of PDP but have now moved to a new party. The law will look at their current status as APC members and can not treat them as factional members of PDP.

If this is the essence of that nPDP drama then I can say that Amaechi and co were being smart by half.

1 Like

Re: Defection: We Can’t Declare Reps Seats Vacant, INEC Tells PDP by Ngwakwe: 3:38pm On Dec 22, 2013
They are only fighting to hold unto the leadership of both chambers and decide who occupies the leadership of juicy committees.

Pukkah: The concern should be where the hearts of the politicians are. Are they really with Jonathan or they've moved on - whether or not they defect?
Re: Defection: We Can’t Declare Reps Seats Vacant, INEC Tells PDP by darlingbobo(m): 3:38pm On Dec 22, 2013
I dee laff ooo. I can remember those days when decampees were jumping from other political parties to PDP, PDP were celebrating and laughing at the opposition parties. Now the table has turned and PDP is shouting over high heaven. PDP should just park well joor. We are now in a new era.

2 Likes

Re: Defection: We Can’t Declare Reps Seats Vacant, INEC Tells PDP by sheryf01(m): 3:40pm On Dec 22, 2013
cashkid: i guess its u that fails to read btw the line or let me say u are talking witin the context of wat u knw cos these people are smarter than pdp and his cohorts by first creating an impression earlier dat there is divisn in the party or what did they have in mind by forming new pdp? eventhough court did nt recognise anytin new pdp but i guess court did nt say there was ntin like faction and wat did they do? they dumped the name new pdp and nw joined apc! so bro, these pple plan ahead of any step they take, they have great and smart planners and masterminds around them and that is where jonathan is found wanting! anyways, finger crossed!

Massive defection both @ the state and legislative level alrdy signifies that the party is divided hence the constitution protecting the law against defection has bn respected. No doubt APC is full of dons and evil geniuses while PDP .....
Re: Defection: We Can’t Declare Reps Seats Vacant, INEC Tells PDP by BabaO2: 3:52pm On Dec 22, 2013
mikeansy: These lawmakers are fooling themselves

PDP just need to go to court and ask the court to compel the relevant officials to declare the seats vacant

Nigerian politicians are very ridiculous and annoying

The consequences of changing parties is clear in the constitution, let those who changed party be ready to face the consequences. that's the consequence of their political choices and they should face it like men!
Have you so quickly forgotten @obanikoro and ogunlewe defection to PDP from AC?, nothing will happen till the next election
Re: Defection: We Can’t Declare Reps Seats Vacant, INEC Tells PDP by ISpiksDaTroof: 3:59pm On Dec 22, 2013
Registering rival APC....sorry, didn't work.

Cunningly flooding the streets with Buhari posters....sorry didn't work.

Unleashed 40 laptop monkeys on the world...sorry didn't work.

Gej, this ain't 1826,its 2013. If u know what's good for you, recruit educated young Nigerians established in their fields that were born (and raised) in western countries into vital sectors of your govt and watch them go to work while bringing their experience and expertise with them. Either that or keep hanging with dinosaurs who will give u advise from 1960, that'll only destroy you in 2015.

Anyway, good luck in prison. Youre going to end up there if you lose the election.

P.S: IF you're smart Mr.Gej, you will make some very high profile arrests and call it a war against corruption. Make sure to include big wigs close to you so the scheme won't be so obvious. For every IBB you arrest, throw in a Tony Anenih, Stella Oduah and probably Diezani. Either u eventually let your people off easy or you just look at it as collateral damage; someone like Anenih is gonna be dead soon, anyway, so...

Just my crafty advice for you, sir. Try not to mess it up this time. Remember, your freedom is at stake.

6 Likes

Re: Defection: We Can’t Declare Reps Seats Vacant, INEC Tells PDP by confusion247(m): 4:01pm On Dec 22, 2013
ndu_chucks: The earlier GEJ realizes that he cannot be saved by Tukur, Asari-Dokubo, or any of his 'trusted' advisers including Okupe and Abati, the better for him. His Party is crumbling right in front of his eyes, while he keeps mum, hoping for a miracle from the likes of Adeboye, Oritsejafor, and TB Joshua instead of jumping in the fight and fighting like a man.

Only 9 more defectors to APC are needed before the house is lost to APC. If he is wise he'd start spending some of the billions they've stashed away for 2015 for PR and other 'encouragements' of PDP members who are currently on the fence or he'll find out that he may not even have the opportunity to contest in 2015. The President is proving to be a very ineffective and weak tactician and loser.

If this man cannot lead effectively in fighting Boko Haram, in keeping his PDP intact, in taking decisive steps to curb blatant theft and corruption within his cabinet members, why the hell can't he just resign? We Nigerians most definitely deserve much better than this. What a shame!!!
Only fools thinks that the problem with hypocritical One Nigeria is Jonathan. Kindly wake up from your day dreaming because Jonathan will one day leave aso rock and the same people that ruined this country will continue from where they stopped. A looter from PDP joined APC and many of you are rejoicing and clapping. Very shameful. Hypocritical One Nigeria is far from redemption.
Re: Defection: We Can’t Declare Reps Seats Vacant, INEC Tells PDP by Toktee(m): 4:01pm On Dec 22, 2013
anonimi:

Unfortunately the law does not work that way.
You can read up about how Amaechi became governor of Rivers state without standing for election in 2007.
PDP especially under Jonathan's leadership is only being a democratic party of law & order by formally requesting INEC and the Speaker HoR to do what OUR laws require while at the same time asking the law courts to deal with the matter as the ultimate arbiter.
Liar! Who told you that ameachi do not contest the governershp election,he won the pramaries but pdp in their usual way replaced him with omehia.
In this case,who follow the due process?
Re: Defection: We Can’t Declare Reps Seats Vacant, INEC Tells PDP by confusion247(m): 4:10pm On Dec 22, 2013
Pukkah:

If the 'unsual' boldeness of Amaeci was not enough to awaken the President, the walk-out of Atiku and the G7 Governors from the convention should have woken him up.

I don't think that Jonathan should lose sleep because of this bruhaha. Well meaning Nigerians will disregard APC because it stands for hypocrisy. How can any reasonable human being hope on APC when they are begging corrupt PDP members to join them? If they like, let them join all the political parties from Ghana to south Africa together just to fight Jonathan, there is no vacancy in aso rock till 2019
Re: Defection: We Can’t Declare Reps Seats Vacant, INEC Tells PDP by jmaine: 4:11pm On Dec 22, 2013
Toktee: Liar! Who told you that ameachi do not contest the governershp election,he won the pramaries but pdp in their usual way replaced him with omehia.
In this case,who follow the due process?

You called him a liar yet said nothing to counter him as expected . . .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ex US Army Chief Says Nigeria, Boko Haram Not Usa's Priority / Governor Abdulfatah Ahmed Arrives China / Mohammed Shittu, APDA Chairman: "Our Mission In Politics"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.