Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,742 members, 7,885,970 topics. Date: Wednesday, 10 July 2024 at 06:36 PM

Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: (9968 Views)

Nairaland Inter School Debate: Auchi Polytechnic: Winner 7 / Nairaland Interschool School Debate::OAU Vs ABU ZARIA::WINNER: ABU ZARIA / Nairaland Inter-school Debate:Winner:::: ABU Zaria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by AbuMikey(m): 8:46am On Dec 26, 2013
Today, we witness another titanic battle between two pillars of our educational system. As with the purpose of the interschool debate, the debaters aim to enlighten us while trying to book a place in the next round. With a welcoming heart, the coordinators and judges invite all intellectuals from other sections of nairaland and of course, from this very education section.

UNIOSUN(supporting ) vs LAUTECH (opposing)

Topic: The government is solely to blame for highunemployment rate in Nigeria.

Cordinator:
Fynestboi
Abu Mikey
Jude P

Judges:
Mazi Omenuko
Aluta continua

Date: Fri.,27th of December.

Time: 5pm-8pm

Venue: nairaland education section

For more fixtures, click here

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by AbuMikey(m): 8:47am On Dec 26, 2013
PROCEDURES
4:55 – Debaters and judges take seats, register presence, while schools post their school Anthem

5:00 – Coordinators declare the debate open

5:00pm – 5:20 - Debaters post their arguments. Within 15 minutes. Better if less than 750 words to make it easier for judges to read all, but no harm making it longer, but it must not exceed 850.

5:20 – 6:20pm - A debater takes on his opponent, attempts to puncture his opponent’s points. This a debater does by quoting, highlighting the area to puncture and countering it i.e regular way to reply on Nairaland. While this is going on the judges can take their time to go through the write ups by the debaters. And also Debaters respond to punctured areas in his earlier arguments. He may buttress further. At this time frame.

6:20 – 6:40pm – Judges post questions to debaters either based on what the debater has posted or just reasonable question within the theme. Judges should be specific as to who they are posting the questions to. E.g “Mr ...., could you expatiate what you meant by so so so? or ...., pls give examples of your claim that xxxx”. This is not compulsory. A judge that doesn’t have question to post to the debaters need not do so.

6:40 – 7:00pm – Debaters respond to questions raised by judges

7:00 – 7:20pm – 2 Questions will be entertained from the audience i.e viewers. This will be based on ‘fastest hand’. The coordinators will announce ‘audience, you may now ask your questions’. After the 2 questions have been posted, any other viewer-post will be hidden.
NOTE: -The judges and audience can throw their questions without quotations but the contestants should answer
with quotations and separated for each questions.

7:20 – 7:30 – Debaters respond to audience questions and concludes their arguments. Debaters who were not asked any questions can still conclude his/her arguments.

7:30 – 7:40 – Judges compile the scores and mail to coordinators: humblejnr@gmail.com

7:40 – 8:00pm Coordinators announce results. Thread thrown open for regular Nairaland discussion.
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by AbuMikey(m): 8:48am On Dec 26, 2013
JUDGING CRITERIA (5 marks each)
1. Presentation (opening, flow, closing,
response to judges questions,
audience questions and contestants
rebuttals)

2. Logic of arguments

3. Strength of facts, examples, cases.

4. Persuasiveness

5. Demonstration of knowledge and
understanding of the subject
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by AbuMikey(m): 8:50am On Dec 26, 2013
RULES

1.) Two contestants representing their school in this Interschool Debate Elimination stage will have to confirm their availability for the debate a day before the debate proper. Failure to do so will result in the defaulter been disqualify and the opposing or supporting side that duely declare availabily will automatically be declare as the winner.

2.) The recommended font size is the default size (size 8.) and the colour is GREEN for the supporting side and BLUE for the opposing side. Please note that you are to use the designated colour all through the debate period.

3.) The essay should be min. 750 max. 1000 words .

4.) The use of SMS language and abbreviations are strictly forbidden.

5.) All materials used should be properly referenced at the end of the essay.

6.) All essays, responses and conclusion must be submitted within the stipulated time frame stated in the time schedule as posted by the coordinator
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by Fynestboi: 8:54am On Dec 26, 2013
Please while the debate is going, only the debaters, judges, coordinators, Supermods(if need be) can post. It is only at the audience question window that a viewer can post on this thread. Pls let's comply, default attracts 3 hours ban(duration of the debate).

You can however comment simultaneously at thePlanning thread

Thank you.

Debate starts by 5:00pm on FRIDAY.

Come and witness the mother of all e-debates on the biggest section of the biggest online forum in Africa.
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by taiwoliu(m): 2:08pm On Dec 27, 2013
taiwoliu rep lautech.. Opposing d motion wch states: government is solely to blame for high unemployment rate in Nigeria.
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by larride(m): 2:22pm On Dec 27, 2013
What is unemployment?
Unemployment represents wasted resources (Mankiw, 1994). Unemployed labour has the potential to contribute to national income but are not doing so because they are jobless. Attainment of full employment mostly in the developing economies, it is agreed can reduce poverty and foster the growth of their economies. The idea is based on the linkage between income and poverty (Boateng, 2004). Unemployment, it is also noted, generates low income or no income and therefore results in low or poor living standard.
Who is considered unemployed?
Somebody that has the qualification, ability and willingness to work and searches for job but does not find one is considered unemployed. Unemployment in Nigeria is alarming which in turn means its teeming youth now results to crime and other vices as a means to survive. Causes of unemployment includes poor infrastructure, insecurity, non diversification of the economy, poor educational system that does not readily produce employable graduates and so on which the government are solely responsible for.
Before i move any further, i would like to give honour to whom honour is due: Good day to my esteemed Judges, illustrious co-ordinators, fellow co-debaters, well-informed audience, all other protocols duly observed. I'm Larride [chief speaker representing Uniosun] and I'm indeed honoured to support the motion that states: The government is responsible for the high unemployment rate in Nigeria.
The government keeps saying "Be creative and create a job for yourself" and i ask them "When as it becomes the responsibilities of the youth to create jobs for themselves?" Our leaders in government right now, how many jobs did they create when they were youth? The government are not creating enabling environment and resources for the youth to be able to create something for themselves. Nigerian youths are not lazy, they just need a little incentive from the government to support their ideas and dreams. Every year our economy is growing yet unemployment is on the high side, that implies that we are experiencing a jobless growth. It has been confirmed that once unemployment start reducing then poverty will decline by default.
Using the United States as a case study: The American economy in spite of her level of capitalism still believe that its the responsibility of the government to reduce unemployment to the barest minimum which the "Employment Act of 1946" represents:
"The Congress hereby declares that it is the continuing policy and the responsibility of the Federal Government to use all practical means to promote maximum employment, production and purchasing power (Ackley, 1978)."
Because of the threat that accompanies unemployment, its no surprise that its a frequent topic for both social and political debaters and most times voters decide to vote in someone who they think could tackle this menace.
In what way are the government responsible:
1. EPILEPTIC POWER SUPPLY: It must be noted that electricity is still epileptic though improving little by little and EVERY business needs power for its day to day business activities, high cost of powering generators and other ways of generating power has forced lots of companies to shut down or retrench some of their staff and thus increasing the labour market.
2. INSECURITY: No investors will want to invest where there's no guarantee for their life or property, insecurity scare investor and thus create loose of jobs which the investor would have provided.
3. LACK OF LOANS FOR SMALL AND MEDIUM BUSINESS: The government keeps saying that youth should get creative and create jobs for themselves yet there is no capital, The government has failed to implement effective loan scheme whereby small and medium business can access loans to expand their business and support their capital.
4. POOR EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM: The educational systems are in rot and state of decay and yearly they keep churning out half-baked graduate which at most times are not employable. Thank God for ASUU who are trying to bring sanity and restore our educational system.
5. NON-EFFECTIVE POLICY AND REGULATIONS TO GUIDE HOME-GROWN BUSINESS: The government are not putting in place strict policy and regulation to guide home-grown business, most home-grown business fail when there's no policy to checkmate other foreign business in the country.
With the above, it can be concluded that if all these problems are solved then unemployment will reduce drastically. The bulk responsibility of unemployment lays with the government and they must be held responsible. I hope that i have been able to prove beyond measurable doubt that truly "Government is responsible for the high unemployment rate in Nigeria. Thank You!!!

REFERENCES:
http://businessdayonline.com /NG/index.php/economic- watch/32204-survey-shows- nigerias-unemployment- rate-at-239-in-2011- http://nigeriamasterweb.com /blog/index.php/2012/12 /02/youth-unemployment- in-nigeria http://www.nanngronline.co m/section/judiciary /unemployment-poverty- responsible-for-high-rate-of- crime-commission
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by sapientia1(m): 4:05pm On Dec 27, 2013
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by taiwoliu(m): 5:14pm On Dec 27, 2013
Good day mister chairman, panel of judges, co-debaters and wonderful audience.
I'm taiwoliu rep lautech to oppose the motion of today's topic. I present my argument thus:
'the palm of a man is sufficient to sustain him', an interpretation of the yoruba adage 'atelewo eni kii tanije'. True is the fact that 'he who works would conquer the war on hunger' but it is an unfortunate event that the number of willing workers is far greater than the amount of jobs available, or maybe that is not the case as the following paragraphs would reveal to us. But before i go on, a look at the keywords of this debate topic:
Unemployment according to merriamwebster.com is defined as the percentage of labour force without jobs. It also defines a job as any specific task done for an agreed price.
With these definitions, we would realize and agree that no man is without job since there is always something requiring human service.
Though people will argue that for creation of job, there must be enabling environment, which is a responsibility of the government but we forget that government can only carryout its duties with funds generated from IGR and Exports. Nigeria's major revenue is from export of crude oil which over the time as suffered set backs due to oil bunkering and pipeline vandalisation. The effect of this is reduction in revenue and hence inability to cater for the 'enabling environment' for job creation. This cant be blamed entirely on the government.
Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala says about 1.8million graduates enter into the economy yearly, but how many are equipped with the required knowledge and technical know-how of their respective fields? I was fortunate to witness a job interview during my 6months IT where engineering applicants were asked to assemble a tower-cased CPU, differentiate a spanner from a wrench and answer questions relating to CAD. It was disappointing that only 3 of 20 differentiated wrench from spanner, most had no idea what CAD means and none could assemble the tower-case CPU successfully. After their rejection they go back and blame the government for high unemployment rate. Is government to blame for this?Agricultural, Education and Security sectors are filled with secondary school drop-outs, reformed street urchins and our graduates complain of unemploment. They refuse to do these jobs cause they see it as below their status. Is goverment also to blame for this attitude?
El-matteo wrote in one of his post 'it hurts me to see young graduates looking for job and never even try to use his God-given potentials'. This advices people to dig into their reservoir of potentials and be a boss of their own and not reliant on the famous white and blue collar jobs but laziness, fear and bandwagon syndrome are hindering them from seeing the opportunities available. The internet which is provided by the government is not only for social networks.
With the above listed and explained points, i hope i have been able to convince you that government is not solely to blame for unemployment but shares the blame with the citizens as well.

Sources: merriamwebster.com
thisdaylive.com/archive
nairaland.com
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by sapientia1(m): 5:15pm On Dec 27, 2013
Good evening Mr Chairman, moderators, panel of judges, time keeper, co-debaters and informed ladies and gentlemen. My name is Sapientia and i'll be supporting the topic which is : "the government is solely to blame for high unemployment rate in Nigeria.
Nigeria is a great county, at least everybody says that. She's a greater country with greater problems ranging from extreme corruption, abuse of public offices and embezzlement of public funds. And important to note is the high rate of unemployment that has bewildered its survival lately.
According to tradin geconomics.com, "the unemployment rate can be defined as the number of people actively searching for a job as a percentage of the labour force". The labour force of course is both the employed and those actively seeking employment. No country can have a ZERO unemployment rate, but how hard are the countries working?
Also, the questions we should ask ourselves is that why hasn't any government in Nigeria made creating jobs a priority instead of promising roads and bridges they eventually don't build? I keep asking myself why if a country like cameroon could manage just an average of 3% unemployment rate since 2007 till date, why not Nigeria?
Nigeria has a population of more than 180 million people and an unemployment rate of 23.9% as at october 2013. The government has never taken the issues of unemployment seriously and as the 2015 general elections draw nearer, we will be given different unattainable promises and statistics, the most recent is how the economy grew by GDP to 6.8%. The question again is, how many people are employed?
In Nigeria, we have the Ajaokuta steel company that can absorb upto 30000 workers if properly reveiwed and operated minimally. Delta steel company still functions albeit far below its maximum capacity-no thanks to the unending politics of privatization; a company that can create thousands of job opportunities for the unemployed and help strenghten the economy.
We have three none functional refineries that could help reduce unemployment drastically, but what does the government do daily? embezzle funds
The government keeps borrowing money from world bank and IMF, why can't they borrow money to revive these companies that will solve massive unemployment problems or is keeping the masses poor part of the plan? Also, right now the government is selling ten recently completed power generation plants to private companies which is laudable achievement of several administrations with the present. The hope is that, Nigerian factors aside, we will be able to create a few employment opportunities with those plants. The unemployment rate is too massive for small scale enterprises and small companies to handle.
We should also look at the aspect of sports, especially football. Our local football league is another employment and massive money making generating industry that is laying fallow amidst the strings of football successes recorded by this country. Europe cannot do without football, not just because it keeps so many youths busy, but because it plays a vital role in their economic development. We've seen so many talented Nigerians footballers playing in countries like South-Africa and even lower economies like Libya and Sudan!
This is always as a result of the meagre salary they are paid in Nigeria. Once the unemploymet rate is reduced to at least 15% or less, the crime rate will reduce and economic growth and development will be evident. Nigerians are very hardworking, talented, skillful and always ready to learn, have you ever wondered why your frustrated unemployed friends in Nigeria manages to enter places like Malaysia, South-Africa and Sudan and started telling good stories about fortune making? the only magic there is that the environment is enabling.
Also what about SMEs? our government uses that as political strategy by giving that advantage to their political "thugs" thereby making them vote for them and do other political "dirty works". We should wake up! i think with a little push, the government can go to sleep and watch Nigeria become great.
Reference: http://www.ynaija.com /chioma-agwuegbo-who-is- to-blame-for-the- high-unemployment- in-nigeria/
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by Fynestboi: 5:22pm On Dec 27, 2013
Lautech second speaker please post your argument.
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by larride(m): 5:24pm On Dec 27, 2013
Fynestboi, change sapianta opening argument to supporting, not opposing, he said you changed it again, please do change it and hide this post. Thanks.
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by Fynestboi: 5:26pm On Dec 27, 2013
Done.
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by Fynestboi: 5:27pm On Dec 27, 2013
Moving to the next round in the next 5mins.
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by Fynestboi: 5:28pm On Dec 27, 2013
Lautech second speaker we are still waiting for u...
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by Fynestboi: 5:31pm On Dec 27, 2013
I guess the second speaker is absent...
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by Fynestboi: 5:32pm On Dec 27, 2013
Debaters can now begin to puncture opponents' arguments and respond to their punctured arguments. You have 1 hour for this.

Thanks
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by Fynestboi: 5:39pm On Dec 27, 2013
Fynestboi: Debaters can now begin to puncture opponents' arguments and respond to their punctured arguments. You have 1 hour for this.

Thanks
what are the debaters waiting for we dont have much time.
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by larride(m): 5:43pm On Dec 27, 2013
@Taiwoliu,

Who's responsibility is to create an enabling environment if you say the government can't do that? If the government can't even protect its own oil pipes and wells, how then are investor's life and property going to be guaranteed? Who are those that are engaged in the oil bunkering? Its the Youth, if the government had provided or create an enabling environment for them they wouldn't have resulted to crime and other vice.

Who do you think its to be blamed for the rot in our educational system if not the government, our higher institution are under-funded and we expect to produce top-notch graduate. Nigeria youth are not lazy, in fact we are among the most hardworking youth but there's little we can do since the government can't create an enabling environment to bring out our potentials.

My question you now is: Who is responsible for creating an enabling environment in country?
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by sapientia1(m): 5:44pm On Dec 27, 2013
Taiwoliu emphasised about engineering students on IT not being able to identify a spanner and a wrench. Let me ask you, who is to blame for this? a government that couldn't spend 26% of its budget on education, employing more lecturers OR the students?
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by ojoawo(m): 5:51pm On Dec 27, 2013
All protocols duely followed and due apologies to all concerned for being unpunctual to this debate.
Without wasting any more time- I shall get to the point quick.
Unemployment in the general sense is the situation of being without work. It is a problem which has been with us for much of human history (Ashton, 1986). There are no regular and reliable statistics on the distribution of unemployment in Nigeria. Measurement problems are magnified in the case of developing countries in which Nigeria is one, because self-employment and work within the family are much more prevalent than in industrial countries. For instance, for many women, the distinction between working on a family farm, (therefore being a "worker"wink and taking care of the home, (Hence being "inactive"wink, is tenuous as is the distinction between working being unemployed and working in the informal sector for many men.

So what Factors Promote Unemployment?
Unemployment in Nigeria has been hindered by five major factors: structural, cultural, lack of political will, skewed budgetary allocation and poorly coordinated intervention programmes.

Structural Factors
Structural inhibitors in the growth of unemployment has its origin in the Nigerian education policies since independence in 1960. Between then and now Nigeria has introduced and implemented not less than three different educational policies. These are the 7:5:2:3; the 6:3:3:4, and now the 9:3:3:4 (elementary, secondary and university). There is now a clamour for the re-introduction of Higher School Certificate (HSC) program which was a two-year post-secondary programme that prepared students for university education. This reaction followed the very poor performance of secondary school leavers (87% failure rate) in the West African Examination Council (WAEC) in 2010. One of the major problems of past education policies stems from the fact that new policies are not allowed to run their full course before they are changed. What this means is that some of the past policies may not have been well conceived before implementation.

Cultural Factors and Get rich Quick Syndrome
Culturally, many youths and their parents believe that the only sure route to success is pursuing career in the elitist professions such as medicine, law and engineering regardless of whether they have the aptitude, interest or resources.

This mindset is fuelled further by loss of the age old value system which tied dignity of labour to wealth. People still perceive artisans and craftmen as social outcasts who should remain permanently at the bottom of the socio-economic ladder. Society now seen to worship wealth (regardless of the source) and churches and communities reward some of these questionable acquisitions with Kinghood and chieftaincy titles respectively. A visit to a typical auto-mechanic garage in Nigeria will show that unlike what used to be the practice whereby a master auto-mechanic had 3 to 7 apprentices under his tutelage, one will be lucky to find one or two learning the trade. Others will opt out after 3 to 6 months to start riding motorcycle taxi, (Okada) to start making money, while the few who remain do not stay long enough to acquire the skills to be proficient in the trade. It is doubtful if Nigeria will still have artisans and technicians in another 20 to 30 years.

Lack of Political Will
The neglect of vocational/technical education has been robbing the nation of the potential contributions of its graduates to national growth and economic development. The inability of policy makers to make rational and informed decisions continue to affect the rate of progress of the Nigerian Nation. As Dike (2006a) has noted, the underdevelopment status of Nigeria could be linked to the neglect of its educational institutions. Although science and technology has been a part of Nigeria’s National Policy on Primary education (NPE) since 1981 (Moja, 2000), like every other public policy, implementation have always been the major problem. Consequently, the society lacks competent artisans such as bricklayers, carpenters, printers, auto mechanics, laboratory and pharmacy technicians and so on.

Skewed Budgetary Allocations
After China and India, Nigeria is the fastest growing economy in the world with a growth rate of 7.2% (Yusuf, 2012). This figure is expected to increase to double digit growth typical of the Asian tiger economies. This growth rate is being achieved despite the energy challenges, financial crisis and global economic meltdown.
Although Nigeria’s economy is projected to continue growing, poverty is likely to get worse as the gap between the rich and the poor continue to widen. One reason may be attributed to the perennial defective leadership, corruption and poorly articulated policy implementations. For example, the Federal Government’s share of distributable revenue is 54%, states 25% and local government 19%. Out of the share accruing to the Federal Government, only about 20-30% go to capital expenditure, while the rest go to recurrent and overhead. On the other hand, states like Lagos allocate between 40-45% to capital expenditure annually. It can be argued that there is an inverse relationship between income and capital expansion. Therefore, by committing more resources to infrastructure you indirectly impact on incremental incomes of the citizenry.

Poorly Coordinated Intervention Programmes
As nations advance into the 21st century governments are shrinking and shedding the toga of major employer of labour. However, the rate of reduction vary from country to country but dictated by what is perceived as political and social consequences. This partly explains why in most developing countries the government is the major employer of labour. The NEEDs document (2004) states that “Human development will definitely be grossly undermined and impaired without employment”. Awogbenle and Iwuamadi (2010) argued that the problems of mass unemployment, low productivity high inflation and poverty will depend on how speedily it is able to develop the millions of its labour force into a knowledgeable and skilled people needed for the required change.

Skills acquisition as a veritable vehicle to promote employment generation has been a part of the policy thrust of past Nigerian governments. However, most intervention programmes have been poorly coordinated and in some cases either overlap or contradict one another. Beginning with the Directorate of Food Road and Rural Infrastructure (DFRRI), National Directorate of Employment (NDE), Family Support Programme (FSP) and now the National Economic Empowerment Development Strategies (NEEDS), SEEDS and even the establishment of People Bank of Nigeria (PBN) are some of the intervention programmes that were intended to promote employment generation. Most of the past intervention programmes were implemented as ad-hoc,. poorly coordinated and marred by corruption and inefficiency. Consequently, rather than reduce unemployment, the reverse seem to be the case.
The Nigerian Living Standard Survey (NLSS, 2006) estimated the poverty level at 54%, implying that approximately 75 million Nigerians were unemployed. This figure is expected to be higher when lay-offs and outright closures due to the global economic meltdown since 2008 are considered. Government effort at promoting skill acquisition through the establishment of vocational training institutions have also not yielded the desired result, eventhough Osunde and Omoruyi (2004) note that more vocational skills training are being established. Although more vocational training institutions are being established the youths are not motivated to take advantage of opportunities associated with vocational education due to some of the above reasons. Statistics show that although the number of technical/vocational colleges have increased since 1991, the number of students enrolled has been declining since 1997, while enrolment in secondary schools have been increasing during the same period.One explanation for this is negative perception on many youths and even their parents towards vocational education. For example, it is common to find many Nigerian legislators donate motorcycles and pepper grinding machines to youths in their constituencies under the name of “youth empowerment”.

What I have done is to show all the contributing factors of unemployment and it is clear that the government alone is not resonsible for unemloyment in the country.

I had to type this at on someone else's tablet just now. Electricity is at the worst possible condition here in the past few days and I couldn't access my already written essay that's on my phone. Apologies
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by JudeP(m): 5:53pm On Dec 27, 2013
Taiwoliu respond to your rebuttals
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by taiwoliu(m): 5:54pm On Dec 27, 2013
@larride and sapientia1: it is the duty of the government to create schools, but not responsible for how well you prepare yourself. Lecturers only give you basics, its up to you to differentiate yourself out of your pairs by going the exta mile because you and probably other thousands are taught the same thing.
@larride, security is not for the government alone to tackle but also, the citizens must give information to security agents when they suspect abnormalties in their environment
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by MaziOmenuko: 6:01pm On Dec 27, 2013
ojoawo:
So what Factors Promote Unemployment?

I know its not time for judges to throw questions; but its obvious the quoted topic above is what you wrote on and not the topic that has been slated for debate.

You may wish to respond to this so I can adjudge properly.
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by ojoawo(m): 6:01pm On Dec 27, 2013
larride: @Taiwoliu,

Who's responsibility is to create an enabling environment if you say the government can't do that? If the government can't even protect its own oil pipes and wells, how then are investor's life and property going to be guaranteed? Who are those that are engaged in the oil bunkering? Its the Youth, if the government had provided or create an enabling environment for them they wouldn't have resulted to crime and other vice.

Who do you think its to be blamed for the rot in our educational system if not the government, our higher institution are under-funded and we expect to produce top-notch graduate. Nigeria youth are not lazy, in fact we are among the most hardworking youth but there's little we can do since the government can't create an enabling environment to bring out our potentials.

My question you now is: Who is responsible for creating an enabling environment in country?

I am really worried if this is the question you're asking. The first step in progress is stopping to put the blame on someone else. And besides the government format we use in Nigeria is the Democracy.
A government OF THE PEOPLE, BY THE PEOPLE, FOR THE PEOPLE. This infers that referring to a government in Nigeria will actually mean everybody living in Nigeria meanwhile you chose to define Government as the elected leaders.

In answer to your question; You, Me, Every other Nigerians are responsible for creating an enabling environment for employment.
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by JudeP(m): 6:02pm On Dec 27, 2013
Debaters pls puncture your opponents arguments...D cords and judges are waiting for u
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by ojoawo(m): 6:02pm On Dec 27, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko:

I know its not time for judges to throw questions; but its obvious the quoted topic above is what you wrote on and not the topic that has been slated for debate.

You may wish to respond to this so I can adjudge properly.

I did answer this in my essay. Right after the question itself
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by larride(m): 6:03pm On Dec 27, 2013
taiwoliu: @larride and sapientia1: it is the duty of the government to create schools, but not responsible for how well you prepare yourself. Lecturers only give you basics, its up to you to differentiate yourself out of your pairs by going the exta mile because you and probably other thousands are taught the same thing.
@larride, security is not for the government alone to tackle but also, the citizens must give information to security agents when they suspect abnormalties in their environment

I beg to disagree, one of the oath of office when swearing our leaders into government house, is to protect life's and property, this year alone, the FG spends more than 900 Billion alone on security and yet insecurity is still high. The duties of securities operatives is to gather intelligence and curbs any criminal activities.

How many research center are there, how do our university compare in terms of equipment and conducive learning environment and whose's responsibility are all these anomalies?
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by ojoawo(m): 6:03pm On Dec 27, 2013
sapientia1: Taiwoliu emphasised about engineering students on IT not being able to identify a spanner and a wrench. Let me ask you, who is to blame for this? a government that couldn't spend 26% of its budget on education, employing more lecturers OR the students?

A question for you, DO YOU PAY YOUR TAX? I am assuming your answer will be NO. A country is run on tax on its citizens and not on Oil Money. You are clearly a reason why the government can't do its job. Its a fault of yours and many other Nigerians.
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by taiwoliu(m): 6:04pm On Dec 27, 2013
@mods, am having problem quoting, hence my resolve to ask both debaters at once. I apologize and beg for consideration
@larride: u claim lack of loans and ur partner says the loans are available only to political thugs. Definitedly someone is not getting accurate facts. SURE-P, YOUWIN etc are programmes for SMEs, can you explain how the government is not allowing loans for youths?
You also claim lack of policies to support local content. In a country where we prefer international contents and dont patronize locals? How would you realize that the government's will to ban imported cars is for local produce? Have you heard of INNOSON Motors? Ban on importation of food stuffs that have local substitutes is also to support local content. You need to get your facts straight.
Americais experiencing its highest unemploment at over 20percent currently. Please stop comparing Nigeria with the USA, we are just 50years old, do you know how long USA as been independent?
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by JudeP(m): 6:06pm On Dec 27, 2013
carry on taiwoliu....25mins more for dis section to be over.
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by ojoawo(m): 6:09pm On Dec 27, 2013
larride:

I beg to disagree, one of the oath of office when swearing our leaders into government house, is to protect life's and property, this year alone, the FG spends more than 900 Billion alone on security and yet insecurity is still high. The duties of securities operatives is to gather intelligence and curbs any criminal activities.

How many research center are there, how do our university compare in terms of equipment and conducive learning environment and whose's responsibility are all these anomalies?

If the country isn't secure, will there be anyone willing to invest?

Blaming the government for lack of educational resources is just a far cry to the real situation. How many of the already bought and acquired resources for schools are properly utilised and maintained?

You expect "the Government" to start placing a high priority on acquiring more equipments when the available ones are wasting?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Offences Frequently Got You Flogged In Secondary School?? / Kogi State Polytechnic 2015/2016 Post Utme Result Is Out For Checking Upgrading / The Federal Polytechnic Ado Ekiti Utme 2nd Batch And Hnd List Is Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.